Create Account

Vlastislav Malik - "Get to Know the Knights" [2x Draft Media]
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2020, 12:48 AM by leafs1997. Edit Reason: Added word count at bottom. )

"Get to Know the Knights" - LW Vlastislav Malik Edition

With the conclusion of the S56 SMJHL Draft, we finally got a chance to sit down with one of the SMJHL's newest rookies, left-winger Vlastislav Malik. Since he only declared for the draft a couple days ago and hasn't flown in yet, he joined us in a Zoom call from his native city of Brno, Czech Republic. Without further ado, here's our conversation with the young Kelowna Knights forward.

Reporter R: "Vlastislav Malik, congratulations on being drafted #16 in the S56 SMJHL Draft by the Kelowna Knights. That's quite the accomplishment. How do you feel?"
Vlastislav: "Thank you, I really appreciate that. I feel great! It's an honor to be drafted by such a decorated SMJHL franchise such as the Knights. I can't wait to get started."

R: "I'm sure you'll fit right in! Before we move forward, I think one aspect of your draft profile that was a bit of a question mark was your late declaration for the draft. Most draft prospects declare early and prepare for the draft for several weeks. This drives their draft stock up and they join their respective teams ready to play. Mind walking us through your thought process for that?"
Vlastislav: "Yes, I understand I haven't had the usual draft year. Actually, I was unsure if I was ready for SMJHL play and thought about working out for an additional season in my home town before declaring. A close friend, frenemy really, Valtterri Kaupinnen (@Pythonic), convinced me that I was ready. Thus, the late declaration. Knowing this, I made every effort to prove my worth and completed various pre-draft formalities in the past couple days. It's been hectic, but it drew the attention of several teams and clearly helped!"

R: "That's quite interesting! Teams reaching out to you before the draft and being picked early in the 2nd round clearly means teams believe in you. I'm sure your confidence is back up now. Its interesting that you mention another player being a source of motivation for you. I'm checking my notes here, your friend, Valtterri, got picked at #33 by the Vancouver Whalers last season and most recently by the Tampa Bay Barracuda of the SHL at #19. I assume he'll be in the SMJHL for at least another season, with a divisional rival no less. How's that going to affect you?"
Vlastislav: "Well, I've got him beat for our SMJHL draft positions, so that's 1-0 for me already. Facts, I mean jokes, aside, its just some additional motivation and fuel to the existing rivalry between the Whalers and Knights. Hopefully I'll be able to make meaningful contributions to the Knights' season, especially against Valtterri and the Whalers."

R: "Haha, I love it! We'll have to keep an eye out for those games! What can we expect from you on the ice? What are you hoping to contribute to the Knights this season?"
Vlastislav: "Well, I pride myself in my ability to skate and get to the front of the net. Once I'm in position, I try my best to screen the goalie and make it as difficult for them to see the shot coming through. Physicality is a big part of my game as well. Being able to hit and check with the best of them is important for me."

R: "Those sound like very useful attributes! I'm sure Knights fans will love you as soon as you get that first big hit in. On the flip side, what are some things you'll be looking to work on as a Knight?"
Vlastislav: "I'm looking to keep improving in the areas I mentioned earlier as well as my shot in terms of range and accuracy. I'd like to be able to contribute defensively as well. I don't want to be a liability to my team at any point of my career. I'm sure I can make meaningful strides with the help of my teammates and coaches."

R: "Best of luck with that! Let's try a bit of rapid fire now. Some questions are related to hockey while others are ones your fans would probably love to ask you if they had the chance. Ready?"
Vlastislav: "Always."

R: "Favorite NHL player?"
Vlastislav: "There's a few. Alexander Ovechkin and Matthew Tkachuk are up there for sure."

R: "Could definitely see parallels between you guys as you progress in your career! Pre-game meal?"
Vlastislav: "Keep it simple. Pasta with some chicken."

R: "Favorite NHL team?"
Vlastislav: "This Zoom call is over if you laugh. The Leafs."

R: "Hah-.....moving swiftly along. Favorite SHL team?"
Vlastislav: "I'm not picking any favorites right now. My focus is to have a great season with the Knights in the SMJHL and the rest will play itself out."

R: "How long have you been playing hockey?"
Vlastislav: "As long as I remember."

R: "What are your goals for this season?"
Vlastislav: "Nothing too specific. I'll have those conversations with my GMs, coaches, etc once I land in Kelowna. Generally, I want to learn as much as possible and improve in all areas. The SHL draft is obviously on my mind, but winning this season with the Knights is first priority. I'll do whatever is necessary for the team."

R: "You and your teammate are bearing down on your opponent's empty net on a 2-on-1. You've got the puck. Shoot or pass?"
Vlastislav: "Shoot. I've honestly got to work on my passing skills. I'd rather take the goal than mess up on that play in a late game scenario."

R: "What's your morning routine like?"
Vlastislav: "Wake up early, unless we've got the day off. Go for a jog, have some breakfast. Then off to practice I go. Sorry, that was such a boring answer."

R: "Well, a lot of people would love to be in your shoes! This one should be more exciting. Describe your ideal shift."
Vlastislav: "The puck's in our defensive zone. Robert Feltersnatch (@Roamus) takes a slapper from the point. I dive, making the block. When I scramble back up, I've got the puck on my stick and a rush going the other way. I pass it up to a teammate on the right side. He carries it in and slows down as a defenseman swings his stick at him. I keep my feet moving, beating my man to the net. There's no moving me now. My fellow winger drops it back to our point. He glides along the blue line, lifts his stick, and takes the shot. I see it coming, still jostling with Robert for position. The puck whizzes by, changing direction as I catch a piece of it, bouncing through the goalie's five-hole. The goalie has no chance and slams his stick on the ice in frustration. I lift my arms in celebration as my teammates surround me."

R: "Wow. Just...wow! Robert a friend of yours? I've got a call scheduled with him later. Got a message for him?"
Vlastislav: "Oh yeah, I know him from a league we play in together. HD. Ask him about who's got bragging rights, jinxes, and people that don't believe in them."

R: "Wait, what? What does that mean? Vlastislav? Are you there? Oh no, seems like the Zoom call's been disconnected. Well, I suppose that's the end of that conversation. Vlastislav, whenever you see this, thank you for your time. It was great talking to you and picking your mind a little. I'm sure you'll be a solid addition to the Knights, keep at it. Best of luck for the upcoming season!"

We'll keep an eye out for Vlastislav Malik and the Knights as they pursue the Four Star Cup. Any games against the Vancouver Whalers and Colorado Raptors are a must-watch, folks! Don't forget to tune in. Till next time.

-Reporter R

(1304 words. 2x draft media)

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

Knights got a gem here, but couldn't take all the HD talent Wink

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

Fantastic article! Welcome to the Knoots!  Knights

A fellow HD partner and a great guy at that! Good luck with your future team.
Can't wait to have an interview with this reporter R!

[Image: QhAQn2i.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: yIvjn4j.png]