Create Account

SDCore and BadWolf - We are your SHL and SMJHL Commissioners - Ask us anything
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 10:15 PM by Chevy.)

Recruitment and growth can only continue to a certain point until it becomes stagnant and inevitably declines until recreates are introduced. 

How would you feel as commissioner if NPC players were introduced to the leagues in order to fill player gaps?

These NPC would obviously have genetic abilities (not bad, but not great) and be available at the base level of each contract tier (to match the cost of using them for a season).

If not something of this sort, what would you introduce to prevent such a thing from happening?

10-08-2020, 09:47 PMSlappydoodle Wrote: It’s been a few seasons now since the switch to FHM. We’re still working with the same bare bones, insufficient index. We still have no box scores and limited utility. Is any work being done in this area? Is the idea that everyone should simply purchase FHM in order to enjoy SHL? In retrospect, was it a wise decision to switch to a sim engine that can’t provide the type of output necessary to fully enjoy the league? Speaking only for myself, this has been incredibly frustrating and has led to my going almost completely inactive, although I did recently at least resume updating my player.
There are some incredibly talented people working incredibly hard on a new index (for free).

In case you missed it, here was an update from last week or so (Link)

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]

10-08-2020, 09:47 PMSlappydoodle Wrote: It’s been a few seasons now since the switch to FHM. We’re still working with the same bare bones, insufficient index. We still have no box scores and limited utility. Is any work being done in this area? Is the idea that everyone should simply purchase FHM in order to enjoy SHL? In retrospect, was it a wise decision to switch to a sim engine that can’t provide the type of output necessary to fully enjoy the league? Speaking only for myself, this has been incredibly frustrating and has led to my going almost completely inactive, although I did recently at least resume updating my player.
Individuals like esilverm have been putting in tons of work to create something for awhile now. If you took the time to learn some of the new fangled technology, I'm sure they'd welcome some more help.

In fact, you were tagged by your best buddy The Augment in that thread.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 10:32 PM by DrunkenTeddy.)

I'm sure Corey can answer this too but since I'm very involved on the shl dev side as well as with ootp/fhm devs I can probably fill you in a bit more.

The current index was a rush job and I have dropped the ball on attempts to improve it in its current state, so you can definitely blame me a bit for that. The reason I haven't worked on improving it from where it is now is because the dev team has a brand new index in the works. So rather than continue to try to make something work with my limited coding knowledge I decided to wait for the new index, which is coming along well, but isn't quite ready yet. Here is a recent post by Esilverm showing the progress: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=110791

I have also been working with fhm devs asking for changes and improvements that benefit this community. I am a beta tester there but I am under nda so I can't share everything, I can tell you that they are listening and trying to help us.

I think the majority of users have seen the move to fhm as a positive change, despite the index issues, but I am hopeful that those who don't will be relieved and happy with the change once we have the new index in place.

One more note, boxscores are crazy complicated right now, but through hours of work we've been able to classify lines of the play by play into events and align those events with what players were involved. The next step will be turning this data into something readable and simple, like the sths boxscores were. This may not come immediately with the new index, it may lag behind a bit but we are trying to get all this done as soon as possible.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Not the SHL or SMJHL commissioner, but I think i can answer this. We are working on stuff. It is still a work in progress, but here's a look at what I've been working on recently. Smile

[Image: IJyA00j.png]
[Image: VxfGuIk.png]
[Image: P5354gZ.png]
[Image: 5K2geF9.png]

This is going to take a while since I'm the only one working on it. Some other cool stuff you can do is SORTING Smile

[Image: crO3j0x.png]

AND IT CAN BE DONE ON MULTIPLE COLUMNS!!!!!

I also have been working on team specific pages which I will mention in my next blog post. Yes, the top bar changes to show only that team's games.

[Image: OiQV8PM.png]

There is still a lot to go but you gotta be patient. The process will take some time but the end result will be well worth it.

unless...?

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

What are your thoughts on the dissonance between how SMJHL and SHL GM's handle the integrity of the league? Is there a reason that you rarely hear of rule breaks in the J that are attempting to gain an edge, but it feels like a twice per season occurance at the SHL level, you think of?

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

@SDCore sorry for posting images of my index in your podcast question thread. here is a question for both of you to make up for it

are we still friends? Please say yes

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

10-08-2020, 11:17 PMesilverm Wrote: @SDCore sorry for posting images of my index in your podcast question thread. here is a question for both of you to make up for it

are we still friends? Please say yes

I won't wait to answer. Yes, ilu

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

10-08-2020, 08:52 PMhhh81 Wrote: *BadWolf, what do you enjoy about the Armia trophy? Many people (who aren't me lol) probably want to know how you decide on who you award the Armia too each season. Want to share your thought process?
*SDCore, have you given any thought to creating a  SHL Commissioner Award, like the J's Armia?
*What's the biggest misconception about your roles as commissioners?
*New Jersey isn't a real place: discuss.
how dare you slander my glorious home state of new jersey

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Apparently questions asked in this thread are answered by the league at large right within this thread therefore rendering the podcast itself unnecessary. How revolutionary.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

- Why are you allowing people who have never even regressed their own player to be a GM?
- Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
- Punshiments are currently a HO matter, and this has lead to quite some public outrage over announced sentences in the last few seasons. Do you feel like the current way of handling punishments is the right one, or are you looking to change this process (and perhaps even take this responsibility away from HO and move it to a more independent commission)?

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2020, 08:38 AM by takethehorizon.)

• Interested to hear about your lives outside the SHL, when and what got you into simulation hockey leagues in the first place?
  • How much of a time investment do each of you dedicate weekly to the SHL?
  • When you're not running a hockey sim league what are you doing in your spare time?
  • Talk a little bit about recruitment and the various strategies you are using to generate more members.
  • Where would you like to see the SHL in a year from now?

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

Having kinda worked with both of you at some point, either as a GM or Media Head, how annoying am I?

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

why did you do it?

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

10-09-2020, 08:26 AMSlappydoodle Wrote: Apparently questions asked in this thread are answered by the league at large right within this thread therefore rendering the podcast itself unnecessary. How revolutionary.

Hey Slappy, good to see you man. Hope you're doing well. So, full stop, I get the frustration with the Index. I know it's a huge part of some people's involvement and not having a quality Index right now has hurt some people's level of interest. Keeping people involved with the SHL and wanting to be here is the primary reason I applied for SMJHL HO, hell I'll even copy my application if you want. That being said, this podcast isn't solely about the Index. Instead, the idea is to create a space for people to ask the questions and voice the concerns they have with the league right now so they know that HO is hearing them. We do hear all the concerns but with how much we do and discuss it can be tough for people to see that. I pushed for an idea that grew to become this podcast because the past few days have shown a lot of people want to voice their concerns somewhere. Be they about the index, the 3 role max limit rule, creating an audit team, this way anyone can get a response in full. The intention is for people to know that HO is hearing them and is working on solutions, and through this podcast they can hear more about the process to create our solutions. Yes, your Index question got answered by a lot of other people right away, but this podcast is about more than just that. The incomplete Index we have right now is a serious issue, I agree there one hundred percent. But, I hope the incredible work being done by the people creating the new Index shows you it was worth the wait.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa