Create Account

The case for more Backup Games

I'd be happy to play fewer games and share the starts with a backup (unless it's an IA, then I want my 44 starts). We know that TPE doesn't matter at all anyway, but whoever has been there longer should've kind of earned the majority of the starts. At the same time you don't want to risk the backups to go IA if all they get are 6 starts per season.
What I'm a little bit concerned about, probably an entirely different problem, are your goalie award options. We already know that you can only win them if you're on a good team or at least have some sort of defense in front of you. Which is so random... If we lower starts for some starters because they want their team's active backup to play more but another team still plays their starter in 44 games, how do you even compare then who was the best goalie that season? Honestly FHM sucks for goalies (especially on bad teams). My two cents.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

Goalie is such a thankless position to play. I respect those of you that chose to do it.

It's a dilemma for sure.

Using the New Orleans example, we've had Cainer in net who's been one of the top goalies in the league for the last few seasons. We also have a dynamite backup in Saarinen, who definitely deserves more starts than 6 in a season. Last season we gave Saarinen 10 (which still didn't feel like enough) starts (9-0-1 woot!), which clearly gave Cain 40.

That's a pretty decent number. But the question (as Saarinen gets better and better and Cain regresses but it still a high TPE goalie) is how many starts can I take away from Cain before he begins to get ignored for awards? Like, are 30-35 starts going to be enough to be Goalie of the Year?

The balance of giving your top guy enough time to compete for the McBride so he doesn't get the "Yeah, but this guy played 7 more games than they did" argument against them vs giving your hotshot backup enough to stay happy is hard.

If only we could go back to the good old days when nobody really cared about being a goalie and McFadden could be the best goalie in the league as an inactive with 400 TPE.

As for a solution? It's tough. Sure, this situation isn't so bad giving Saarinen a few more starts, even if 10-15 were mandated. But there are definitely others that have very weak IA backups (see: cheap ass goalie to save cap for other areas) to plug in and start, and forcing them to play those IAs 10-15 games can really muck up the season. Then they'll be calling up their 425 backups more often, and that will mess up the J teams. Of course, everyone making the playoffs in the J means that it doesn't matter at all if you lose a few extra games, so that kind of fixes that issue.

I don't know the exact fix.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 02:46 PM by Nhamlet.)

Uh one sec

Edit: I wrote too much and decided I wanted money for it.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

so whenever a two goalies share over 40/10 split then the awards team can (and should) be considering them for potential consideration as a platoon.

so far I think this was only used once, I think Spector and Tommy Tuck won the honcho in S52/S53 together as a platoon. I think with a 35/15ish split?

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

I heard someone say platoon?

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

10-12-2020, 06:31 PMTomasnz Wrote: so whenever a two goalies share over 40/10 split then the awards team can (and should) be considering them for potential consideration as a platoon.

so far I think this was only used once, I think Spector and Tommy Tuck won the honcho in S52/S53 together as a platoon. I think with a 35/15ish split?

as soon as the backup play 11 games or more it concider the team and not the player

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]