Create Account

S56 mPT #4 - Playoff Preview

There is no doubt in my mind that the Outlaws will absolutely handle the 4 Star Cup this year. On their historic tear there cannot be a shadow in anyones mind that they are the Terminator to the remainder of the leagues T-1000

[Image: zdoMJuR.png]

Extra rounds will bode well for the Stampede, allowing them to ramp up and run away with the Challenge Cup this year.
(haha jk HAM going to sweep their way to the conference finals kill me)

[Image: On57CfR.gif]
  Knights Usa Stampede Patriotes Inferno Argonauts Aurora Renegades Stampede   

I think the Anaheim Outlaws will lose their first series in the SMJHL playoffs. Their playing way above their expected wins and goal totals which is something that tends to be unsustainable and I believe in the playoffs that their goaltending will falter as their scoring short circuits.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

I think the Maine Timber will win the 4 Star Cup. They were the runners up last season and they have largely the same roster but with the younger guys all improved. The top line of duo of Patrick Shepherd and Kyle Sutton have been fairly quiet this season with their production, but the addition of Alexander Oscarsson to the right side has breathed some life in the top line. With a new topline that is producing and a strong roster throughout the Timber will likely be able to turn on their playoff magic from last season again.

[Image: 1161116581909246052.gif][Image: cobb.png?ex=663d5bb2&is=663c0a32&hm=7637...ae0e53216&][Image: 1161116581909246052.gif]
Thank you @Ragnar  for the Sig!
Previously: Patrick Shepherd (S52 - S64)

I think there is a very realistic possibility that we see a semifinals of all eastern conference teams based on testing I did at the beginning of the season to see how the new 12 team playoff format we implemented for expansion would work. The four teams would, as expected, be Hamilton, Chicago, Buffalo and Manhattan. Between all these teams there isn't too much separating them, as the regular season has shown they are all capable of beating each other, so even though it would be lame for the western teams, it would make for a damn good semis and finals.

Looping back to how the 4 eastern semi finalists happened, just going off the test sims it's extremely possible based on how the new format operates. Quickly pulling up an old screenshot of one of my tests (thanks for not letting me get a good crop of it FHM) shows this as the round 2 matchups for the playoffs:

[Image: unknown.png]

In this we see 3 eastern teams advance to the semis, while Manhattan were eliminated by an Edmonton team they're about on par with overall I would say. If Manhattan wins that series, this is our semifinals, with Manhattan in there instead of Edmonton:

[Image: unknown.png]

I think that although this looks ridiculous, I think these four as semifinalists is a very likely and I would go as far as to say probable outcome of this season, although I think Calgary, Edmonton and Texas could feasibly shake it up though.

To summarize, my personal opinion is that we will see an all-Eastern semi finals, although who plays who in said hypothetical semis is dependent on who wins the Great Lakes division, which is still wide open right now and could be wide open right until the last day.

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

One matchup that I would love to see is the Nevada Battleborn against the Quebec City Citadelles. I mean, how cool would it be to see the expansion teams in the finals. I really think the storylines would be really cool to follow, and it would be something I absolutely would be interested in seeing.

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

I think obviously Hamilton is the favorite to take home another cup, but I think there are a couple teams that have the potential to make a splash, but not win. I don't think that this is Atlanta's year to win the cup but I do think they could make a moderately deep run year 1. In the west, Texas has potential to make a splash but probably isn't good enough to make a real cup run.

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

I see this stuff shaking out between The Hamilton Steelhawks and the Calgary Dragons. Hammy here has been winning games by the handful and the Dragons have had a renaissance of sorts where many had them perhaps a little lower on the list headed in.

[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: CptSquall.gif]

There have been quite a few changes that have occurred over the past few sims, and I think in the first FHM season with 12 teams and re-seeded playoffs we will see an all Eastern Conference Challenge Cup Final. If you would have asked me this a couple of weeks ago, I would have said that it was looking like a Steelhawks v. Dragons final. However, the Dragons schedule favored them early and they are no longer stifling opponents as they were and their GA have come up to more normal numbers. I think right now the teams to beat are Hamilton and Chicago.

If I had to guess, we will see a Steelhawks v. Syndicate Challenge Cup Final this season, in a matchup that should prove to be a very close one, as indicated by their season meetings.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

The SMJHL finals look to be shaping up with the Vancouver Whalers as the team to beat. I anticipate them to make the finals, and I am going to shout out to the Carolina Kraken as the other finals team, pushing for one last finals appearance before likely losing another solid set of players to age/the SHL.

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

I'm thinking that Hamilton wins the whole thing this season. They are on fire and dominant so far in the regular season. I think that they'll end up playing the Blizzard in the finals and probably win in 5 games.

Mika Kandinsky Stars 

[Image: mika_kandinsky.gif]

The Newfoundland Berserkers came into season fifty six on a high after a summer full of celebration after winning their franchise’s first Four Star Cup champions! They finished off season fifty five being the best team in the SMJHL Regular Season winning the Presidents Trophy with an outstanding record of thirty five wins, nine assists and six overtime losses for seventy six wins. Last year's SMJHL champions, still looked to be an absolute juggernaut going into the seasons fifty six regular season with four 425 defensemen, six 425 forwards, and arguably the best goalie in the juniors, the Berserkers were ready to run it back for another cup run. Having an extremely experienced roster that knows how to win with a mix of promising prospects made things look pretty bright.

However, Newfoundland has not looked like the powerhouse they once were last season currently sitting in second place in the eastern conference and sixth in the entire SMJHL standings. With a current record of nineteen wins, fourteen losses and four overtime losses, the team honestly does not look like a cup contender right now. After losing some key pieces to the big leagues, the younger players are not at their peak development to fill the voids at a high level. As a result, as part of the captaincy group I expressed my desire to get an upgrade at the center position and at the defense position hoping to add one center and defenseman at the deadline. With what seemed like a fire sale in Colorado Rapports I urged Newfoundland Berserker management to try to go after an all star center in Mack Daddy and veteran defenseman Anrijs Asts from the Raptors.

The Berserkers are still able to compete and are dangerous on a night to night basis but there is a lack of consistency because of the inexperienced depth of this team which would be filled by picking up these two veteran players to help level out the inexperience on the team’s fourth line and third defensive pair and would also allow the team to have a more balanced line up rather then only relying on their superstar veteran players. Right now the Berserkers hold a plus four goal differential which is true to their season as you still never quite sure what you are going to get with Newfoundland, as evidenced by one of their more recent game in which they lost 0-4 to the Detroit Falcons but then their ability to also beat a top team like Anaheim Outlaws.

With the trade deadline recently passed, not going to lie I was a bit disappointed to see management not bring in a veteran addition or two to make another cup run. Newfoundland has the championship experience to maybe make a run towards the end of the season, but its perhaps more likely some hungry teams who want their shot at glory are able to give just a little bit extra which is why they needed to make a couple more additions at the trade deadline to compete with the best teams in the juniors. Fortunately for the Berserkers, they have one of the best goalies in the SMJHL with Cale Amundsen who can absolutely steal games and that always comes in handy when the chips are down and the season is on the line in the playoffs.

With no new moves and the deadline passed it will be up to this current roster and the coaches to step up their games to defend their title. Newfoundland has shown that they will not dominate the league like they did last year, but there's a good shot we see them as a final four team, and might see them bring home the cup if the cards fall right and they go into the playoffs on a hot streak.

Word Count: 645

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

I somehow expect this season to end up a little unexpected or at least not what I predicted at all. Some big surprise will happen, at this point I have no idea what it'll be. I would somehow even go as far as say that the biggest surprise will be in the West, so how about Texas in the final? Either that or we'll really see either West vs West or East vs East in the final this time. Something new. Who knows, all I know is that it's unlikely that Buffalo will win the cup this season. The only thing that WILL happen is that Toronto will finish last in the Great Lakes Smile

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

In the J the top seeds are pretty well laid out, I don't see VAN giving up a 7 point lead over their final 12 games and ANA just needs to coast to keep their hold on the second seed.  But the 8th-11th seeds are totally up for grabs and the matchups those teams face vary wildly from winnable to overwhelming underdog facing a sweep.  3 teams (  Knights Citadelles Scarecrows ) are currently sitting at 30 points with  Raptors barely ahead at 34 points.  None of these teams are looking at the playoffs yet, it is a neck and neck race to avoid  Outlaws    Kraken  and the  Battleborn because those matchups are MUCH tougher than a potential  Armada Timber  or  Berserkers  series.

I can't say that I know how the new playoff system works, but I assume one of the big teams out east will win it all this season. It seemed like everyone wanted to flock there in free agency/trades to build the super teams and it isn't looking like they can be beat by anyone out west this season.

In the J obviously the Kraken will win it all.