Create Account

AMA: Carpet & Morgan 2000 TPE Edition
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020, 02:32 AM by Carpy48.)

Ready for grading, please split 50:50 between @Otrebor13 / @Carpy48.

Hi everyone!

@Carpy48 / Harry Carpet Stars and @Otrebor13 / Theo Morgan Steelhawks here to do an AMA! Or maybe we should call this AUA.

For those unfamiliar with us, some things we have in common:
We're both regular boring people, S47 draftees, graphics graders and we both just reached 2000 TPE on the same day! 

Got any questions for us?  Interview

11-01-2020, 12:56 PMFitted2106 Wrote: What's it like to taste 2k and immediately regress?

HC: It's no big surprise for me. I knew this was coming after S56 and this whole time I wasn't sure whether I would make it at all or just end the season at 1999 TPE. So I'm just happy I got there.

TM: I think this generally happens to everyone, unless you're one of the handful of super active who can reach the 2100 or so mark. While it is expected that regression would hit, it still sucks, especially after seeing what high TPE can do performance wise.

11-01-2020, 01:00 PMhotdog Wrote: when you (we) joined around the same time, did you two think you'd get to 2000 TPE? Is there anyone in our class you thought would get to 2k and didn't?

HC: At the beginning I thought I wouldn't make it, especially when I noticed that some players, you included, simply seemed to run away with TPE from the rest of the group. It probably helped a little that we changed from buying seasonal equipment to buying seasonal personal coaching instead a little while ago. If we still had the distinction that equipment gave skaters (potentially) more TPE than goalies I likely wouldn't have made it. Now it's the same for every player. And sure, there were some people in our class that used to be ahead of me like Tony Ford or Gunnar Söderberg, but you never know what happens in life and it really does take a lot of dedication to get to 2k. Theo and I basically had some kind of TPE race towards the end, we were usually only 2 TPE apart every week, so it was interesting that we both made it at the same time.

TM: I think Carpy nailed it with the second part of the question, with people like Ford and Soderberg. When we first started I think it was clear that they were big TPE earners and would continue to be. I would also say Jax was another one that looked like he was going to kill it, and being a 1st overall pick that season really gave high expectations. Obviously life gets in the way and it's definitely more important, so in the end it could happen to anyone.

11-01-2020, 02:04 PMCptSquall Wrote: What is the difference in performance between 2000 TPE and say 1500 TPE from both a Goalie and Skater's point of views?

HC: I don't think there is a huge - if any - difference for goalies. My performance was always depending on the team in front of me, at least since we've switched to FHM.

TM: I think from a skater's point of view it's a little bit complicated because I think there is more dependence on your team than there used to be. I do think having more TPE definitely has a positive impact on your ability in the sim, but we've seen a lot of top earners who aren't on great teams not perform as good as some lower TPE players on top teams. I think TPE definitely matters, but your team/teammates definitely matter just as much imo.

11-01-2020, 03:09 PMNokazoa Wrote: Since you are both old foggers on this site, what are some shifts in the community that you have noticed if there are any?

Who has your favorite branding in the SHL? SMJHL?

Lastly, Favorite graphics on the site?

HC:
1) I have noticed that a lot of new users got extremely involved right from the start, especially with test sims and how everything works in the league. When I was new I had no idea about anything and it definitely took me more than a season to understand what was going on. Actually @Otrebor13 should answer this question instead, having been here for so much longer than me.

2) SHL: Before Atlanta it used to be Manhattan for me, but now it's difficult to pick one of the two. I also really like LAP. For the SMJHL it's Newfoundland, no doubt. Maybe I'm biased because I was involved in the creation of the team branding. Also is it a coincidence that both ATL and NL logos were made by Julio? Hmm

3) That one is easy: anything made by Wasty.

TM:
1. Well, if you're asking me in terms of the difference since my return in S46 to now, I don't think there's been that much of a shift. Also, I don't really take part in too much forum activity regardless, so I try to stay away from any drama.

That being said, since the beginning of the SHL and my time here from S3-S23 and then coming back in S46, I can honestly say there's been a massive change in the community. I think the current community is much nicer overall. The SHL used to be extremely toxic and full of drama, so I would definitely prefer the current makeup of the league.

2. In the SHL I think the Platoon and the Panthers have great brands. I've always like the two and think they're really well done. In the SMJHL I have a lot of bias but I really love the Whalers. The Kraken is also very nice, but I'll stick with Vancouver.

3. This is tough, probably pretty close between Wasty and Karey, even though Karey doesn't typically make graphics anymore.

11-01-2020, 03:02 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: who was your biggest inspiration to reach 2k

TM: Interestingly enough I think Luke and Aaron were two people that I always looked at. Luke was a huge help when I joined the league and Aaron was always ahead of me TPE-wise. I always tried to compete with Aaron and look at how much he was earning and try to earn more, so I guess there was some motivation there.

HC: You.

11-01-2020, 03:25 PMMuerto Wrote: What is your favorite mix with Capt Morgan's spiced rum?

TM: Definitely with Coke. However, I typically try to stay away from spiced rum because it's so sweet. My go to is typically Gin and while I do use any of soda, tonic, or 7up, my preferred option would be Gin with soda and a couple of squirts of lime juice.

11-01-2020, 04:45 PM.bojo Wrote: with everyone getting 2k tpe nowadays, do you feel like you're two thousand and late?

TM: I hit 2K, don't take this away from me bojo

HC: It still means something to me.

11-02-2020, 12:19 AMNhamlet Wrote: Any idea what your plans for the next 5-10 seasons will be? What about next player?

HC: I *hope* that I can stay in Toronto for the next 5-10 seasons (or as long as ml will keep me) and win at least one cup there. That's all I have planned, no plans yet for a next player.

TM: Right now the plan is to fight regression as long as I could, so not sure how long that will take but I'd like to stick it out with Morgan, especially after having success in the recent seasons. As for where I might be during those seasons, the plan is to stay with Hamilton and see it out til I can't. Obviously with new contract tiers being implemented, who knows what the cap situation might look like down the road, but I like where I'm at right now.

11-02-2020, 03:13 AMDextaria Wrote: How was it like staying on the same SHL team for the entirety of your SHL career/being traded to other teams? Would you say this affected your activity and feelings towards the site (i.e. getting traded helped gain more interest or staying in one team made you more invested in the league)?

Also, congrats on 2K!

HC: It was the perfect storyline for my player. I got drafted because Toronto really needed a young goalie to replace good old McFadden as a starter - who wasn't really himself anymore. I knew I would be the team's starter right away and that definitely motivated me to stay active even if there was no competition. It's a much better situation than getting drafted by a team that already has an active starter and backup and you just have to wait until one of them retires. The beginning was pretty tough, because our team's LR was literally dead. For a while it was just ml and myself, then Mika joined and it was still pretty dead. I knew that we were re-building the team starting with Mika and myself. After we've gone through those times, been the absolute joke of the league for several seasons and are now on our way up again with an active LR, I definitely don't want to leave Toronto. Guess why I have a NTC in my contract. Of course you sometimes think how you might do on a good team and have more chances to win awards and cups, but it's not the same. I really like my team, despite all that bad luck.

TM: Thank you! Personally I don't think moving around affected my activity, the goal was always to be active and earn as much TPE as I could. For me being traded was expected, but free agency was extremely difficult for me. I think it took me a month to really decide what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go. That was difficult and something that I didn't realize would be like that. I'm definitely glad that's over with and I can just enjoy being a player.

11-02-2020, 12:05 PMhonkerrs Wrote: as graphics graders for awhile is there any particular user that has improved a lot from when they first started to now?

HC: That's a very difficult question. I would say anyone who simply puts in a lot of work, including myself, will see improvements. It's hard to pick just one person in particular.

TM: I completely skipped over this question, my bad. There have been a ton of improvements made when it comes to sig making and users getting better, so it's difficult to pick who has improved the most. That being said, I have really enjoyed seeing Noka's improvement since he started and having his own style. His sigs have become top tier sigs and the uniqueness is something I really like, and the style just flows well. There are others who have improved a lot as well, but if I had to choose one I'll say Noka.

11-02-2020, 10:26 PMFluw Wrote: Not so much of a question but I am super proud of you Carpy and happy for you! From starting as my back up to eclipsing 2k TPE, glad I could be a part of your story!

HC: Thank you. You were definitely a big part of the story.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

What's it like to taste 2k and immediately regress?

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

when you (we) joined around the same time, did you two think you'd get to 2000 TPE? Is there anyone in our class you thought would get to 2k and didn't?

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

11-01-2020, 12:56 PMFitted2106 Wrote: What's it like to taste 2k and immediately regress?

It's no big surprise for me. I knew this was coming after S56 and this whole time I wasn't sure whether I would make it at all or just end the season at 1999 TPE. So I'm just happy I got there.

sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]

Get that badgggee

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

11-01-2020, 01:00 PMhotdog Wrote: when you (we) joined around the same time, did you two think you'd get to 2000 TPE? Is there anyone in our class you thought would get to 2k and didn't?

At the beginning I thought I wouldn't make it, especially when I noticed that some players, you included, simply seemed to run away with TPE from the rest of the group. It probably helped a little that we changed from buying seasonal equipment to buying seasonal personal coaching instead a little while ago. If we still had the distinction that equipment gave skaters (potentially) more TPE than goalies I likely wouldn't have made it. Now it's the same for every player. And sure, there were some people in our class that used to be ahead of me like Tony Ford or Gunnar Söderberg, but you never know what happens in life and it really does take a lot of dedication to get to 2k. Theo and I basically had some kind of TPE race towards the end, we were usually only 2 TPE apart every week, so it was interesting that we both made it at the same time.

Stars Lions Berserkers

I'll go ahead and reply to these as well.

I think this generally happens to everyone, unless you're one of the handful of super active who can reach the 2100 or so mark. While it is expected that regression would hit, it still sucks, especially after seeing what high TPE can do performance wise.

For myself I didn't really think I'd get there. I joined later than most in the draft class and was signed as an undrafted FA in the SMJHL. So I was already a few weeks behind everyone else in the class. For me the main thing was staying active and just trying to earn consistently. Over the last 2 seasons it became apparent that hitting 2K was actually a legitimate possibility, so I tried to do what I could to get there, and here we are!

I think Carpy nailed it with the second part of the question, with people like Ford and Soderberg. When we first started I think it was clear that they were big TPE earners and would continue to be. I would also say Jax was another one that looked like he was going to kill it, and being a 1st overall pick that season really gave high expectations. Obviously life gets in the way and it's definitely more important, so in the end it could happen to anyone.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

What is the difference in performance between 2000 TPE and say 1500 TPE from both a Goalie and Skater's point of views?

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

who was your biggest inspiration to reach 2k

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Since you are both old foggers on this site, what are some shifts in the community that you have noticed if there are any?

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

What is your favorite mix with Capt Morgan's spiced rum?

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

11-01-2020, 02:04 PMCptSquall Wrote: What is the difference in performance between 2000 TPE and say 1500 TPE from both a Goalie and Skater's point of views?

I don't think there is a huge - if any - difference for goalies. My performance was always depending on the team in front of me, at least since we've switched to FHM.

Stars Lions Berserkers

11-01-2020, 03:09 PMNokazoa Wrote: Since you are both old foggers on this site, what are some shifts in the community that you have noticed if there are any?

1) I have noticed that a lot of new users got extremely involved right from the start, especially with test sims and how everything works in the league. When I was new I had no idea about anything and it definitely took me more than a season to understand what was going on. Actually @Otrebor13 should answer this question instead, having been here for so much longer than me.

2) SHL: Before Atlanta it used to be Manhattan for me, but now it's difficult to pick one of the two. I also really like LAP. For the SMJHL it's Newfoundland, no doubt. Maybe I'm biased because I was involved in the creation of the team branding. Also is it a coincidence that both ATL and NL logos were made by Julio? Hmm

3) That one is easy: anything made by Wasty.

Stars Lions Berserkers

with everyone getting 2k tpe nowadays, do you feel like you're two thousand and late?

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

I think from a skater's point of view it's a little bit complicated because I think there is more dependence on your team than there used to be. I do think having more TPE definitely has a positive impact on your ability in the sim, but we've seen a lot of top earners who aren't on great teams not perform as good as some lower TPE players on top teams. I think TPE definitely matters, but your team/teammates definitely matter just as much imo.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]