Create Account

It's been a year on the site, AMA
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2021, 09:00 PM by sve7en.)

[242 word intro + 2197 in answers (x0.5) = 1340 words, ready for payout]

Yeah, it's been a year on the site for a lot of people, that S53 reddit class is massive. But as you all know, I like to talk, so let's go. 

I saw the reddit post, joined on my break between classes, and figured it'd be a fun little thing to check on every few days.

Oop. 

6th overall in the J Draft
5th overall in the SHL Draft
135 threads, 91 of those being media, 1446 posts
Max earning with an incredible draft class
Named captain after first season
J MVP, a commissioner award, and a few dedication noms
A Four Star Cup 
A founding member of the Simulation Hockey Network
Host and producer of Hockey Talk Tonight
Raised some money for BLM with HTT
Stats writer
Players tribune writer 
Picture maker
Video maker
Scout, then coach, then Co-GM, then GM of Carolina
Interim LAP GM
Maybe the only person to run drafts for two teams as the acting GM in a single weekend?
Exported FHM lines on my phone while in the back of Faelax's car on the highway
A 5 man recruit tree that consists of 2 SHL Co GMs, 1 SMJHL Co GM, the SMJHL simmer, a returned legend from SHL past, the S54 top earner, the S55 1OA, and 3 SHL first round picks
And finally now, starting up the events department

So yeah.. Me, Wags, CAR, LAP, HTT, SHN, events, what do you want to know?

01-13-2021, 10:47 AMSewingWithNancy Wrote: How do you have time for anything else in your life?

01-13-2021, 03:34 PMGeekusoid Wrote: You have shown vestment into dozens of aspects of this site, all of which at the highest caliber. 

Do you feel this is sustainable in the long term?  If so, how in the hell do you do it and keep everything organized. 

Also, Jimmy is HOF bound for sure!

Hitting these together, since they're pretty related.

Part of this year was spent in a post-bac program, doing research, taking classes, and eventually taking the MCAT. That was a lot of work, but it was so spaced out that it was easy to be connected, always online, and I had nothing better to do that bust out the Chromebook and write a media piece or do a PT. After that, I was unemployed, trying to find work, but able to just chill, and that was easy. Since October, I've been working in a hospital's microbiology lab, mainly doing COVID tests for them, and three or so nights of the week I'm with my girlfriend (who's an absolute gem). I get enough time to see her, cook, play games, work out and do this, but I'm not really sure how. I think a lot of it is just not wasting much time lounging doing nothing since I have hobbies that relax me so much. All the responsibilities are manageable right now, I've never been one to need a lot of sleep, but I wouldn't take on any more beyond this and I'm starting to let some of it off my plate in Carolina and with the Events stuff. My main grind right now is to make the SHL as good as I can while I have the chance, and to make the bank big enough for a max earning second player without having to do anything outside of PTs while in med school. I should be able to hit that sometime in 2021 on the current pace, and then I'll give up my responsibilities well enough before starting med school in the fall of 2022, probably around a year from now just to enjoy my last summer of freedom.

Organization is weird. I have a private discord where I keep different notepads for different things, I use placeholders pretty liberally for PTs so I can see what I have to do this week still, and I miss responding to a fair number of DMs lol

01-13-2021, 10:56 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: seven really join the league after me and is already a gm smh

In your opinion, or someone else's opinion if you prefer, what is the biggest factor in keeping you around in the SHL?

Do you get existential dread when you think about how many real life years it will take for your player to complete his career arc?

Are you willing to commit here and now to recreating for Season 69?

What is your highest priority in terms of what needs to be changed about the league?

I would assume you have a hand in LAP management as well, do you think managing a junior team is more or less difficult than an SHL team?

I actually was kind of excited about being LAP head GM just for the remix of "How can he be a GM, he hasn't even unbanked his own player?"

Biggest factor keeping me around is the friends. The irl ones a bit more just because it's fun to talk about the league with them all the time, but the ones I've made here have a similar effect. I also feel a weird duty to make the league as enjoyable for others as I've found it.

No dread or anything about the time to play a career, I actually really like it. I love the investment that people feel to the league because of the time taken to play out a career.

Wags will likely play past season 69, but it's dependent on what the Hall of Fame prospects look like as well as if a relevant team has need.

Personally I think it's the need for a full sim team. Kal, Smith, and I are in the same boat of unsustainable, but their roles are more critical to the league as a whole (once I get out of the setup phases for the events team). The league needs to both protect some of their most valuable users and lock down this level of quality for viewers (something I consider to be one of the best selling points compared to other sport leagues and the VHL).

They're vastly different, obviously, but I wouldn't call one harder or easier. I think the SHL gets harder at its hardest and easier at other points. The J is constant in the demands it has of GMs, which is why I've mentioned a few times that I'd love to see a bit more of an offseason for GM health masked as international play.

01-13-2021, 11:06 AMreid Wrote: S53 Best class?

How different did we turn out compared to the first few days in the S53 discord?

Is SHL GMing in your future?

I remember the first week or so on site when there was that prospect tournament, and I remember you taking over the lines of one of the teams - with quite a lot of confidence lol. I remember being a little taken aback with how direct you were being... some things never change, and I’m glad to have gotten to know you better buddy <3

I legit think the S53 class might be the best for a long while. The amount of site contribution across the board is insane, the number of max earners is crazy, and the class is still super deep at this point. 

Looking back on the early discord days is a lot of fun actually. Seeing Fred, Eric, Teddy, Puff, Boom, and the rest of the gang all with no idea what was going on is great. I don't miss being a rookie at this point, but it was so cool to get to know so many people at once. I think most of the people who were active in discord had expected trajectories really, those that had the free time back then still had free time for a while and it makes sense that a lot of us thrived on this side of things in 2020.

Absolutely not. I don't have the time, I don't have the drive, and I won't be doing everything I do beyond 2021. Working full time in the hospital and being back in the gym while doing everything else is already straining things, I should be in medical school next year, and I'll want some time to enjoy life before that happens. I love getting to facilitate people's enjoyment of the league in Carolina, and would enjoy that in the SHL as well, but I only have about a year of site jobs left and I would be very wary of taking a long term project on with that looming as much as I want to actually make the Venice Vibe happen. I still believe I'd be a top GM in the SHL, but it's not for me.

Yeah, looking back I was definitely assertive and remained that way, and I'm sure I've put some people off in the process. I like to think I can make the place better by being involved though, and I wouldn't do anything differently, outside of maybe not taking the first WJC with the prospect team so seriously. I think it's pretty understandable though, with how hyped everyone was to start seeing games. Love you dude <3

01-13-2021, 11:38 AMLordBirdman Wrote: What is Sara Wagner up to these days?

Sara's doing her PhD, just now finishing up her collegiate track career with a few NCAA championship invites. She's currently in maintenance mode, and will be rocking her Adidas sponsorship as she figures out her plans for post grad school employment. A few teams and university track programs have reached out about mutual interest in coaching roles, but that's undecided at the moment.

01-13-2021, 11:49 AMslothfacekilla Wrote: how have your thoughts on the shl changed over the year

The entertaining aspect of watching a created player have a career is the same, and it's nice that that hasn't faded 7 seasons in. I think I'm still engaged and trying to make the place better for my presence, but it's spread a bit think like I said earlier. I'm a bit tired of some aspects and opinions, but that's to be expected. Overall I still like the community as a league, and obviously Carolina/Los Angeles are incredible. I think the biggest change I've personally had has been the growing annoyance with awards and accolades. I think sim leagues as a whole have an issue where everyone wants to be the main character of an MMO and make it about them, their perspective, their team, and their teammates, and that has gotten exhausting to the point where if not for my site contributions I wouldn't care much about them.

01-13-2021, 02:24 PMtrella Wrote: Eboy podcast when?

Special HTT at some point? :eyes: Would be a lot of fun, if we get a heads up from the other guys they won't be in for a week it'd be fun to set up, especially with Nour as commish and you as a veteran and SHL GM.

01-13-2021, 05:43 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: What is your favorite thing about SHL?

How everyone derives their own enjoyment from the same thing in different ways. You can build a character while teammates are doing stats, writing code, making graphics, playing FHM, and setting up game nights, and everyone hypes each other up, encourages the expressions that they see from their teammates, and everyone is able to rally around these teams that exist. Sim leagues are a crazy deep opportunity for individual expression, regardless of how you want to do it, and someone will always enjoy seeing the stuff you contribute.

01-13-2021, 08:38 PMZoone16 Wrote: Top 3 tanktops you own and why?

If you could change one aspect (only one) of the shl (sim,site,etc....) what would it be and why?

CAR/LAP tanks - very soft fabric, the cut is good for both gym and lounging, but logos aren't the best quality
Reversible Red/White ultimate tank - comfy as hell
Random UnderArmour running tanks - best fit for my longer runs, solid for lounging and super durable

That I can't potentially change currently? Probably the lack of a sim team. The lack of contingency for Kalakar and Smith being unable or unwilling to work is difficult to stomach and I think it improves quality of life all around. There's no reason to not have it, out side of staffing constraints, which is potentially solved with proper compensation/benefits for less work being part of a team.

01-13-2021, 10:00 PMoverdoo Wrote: Hopefully these haven’t been asked already, but I look forward to reading through your answers later.

What did your username stem from?
When you FIRST saw this league, what was your FIRST thought? I know you said Reddit between work, could be fun, blah blah. Your raw reaction is what I want. 
At what point did you decide to go from, or noticed that you had went from a casual user to someone who is incredibly invested and influential in the league?
If you could change one thing about your stay, what would it be?
When is the girl joining up?
When’s the OF being released?
What were your first thoughts when creating HTT, and what about it kept you into making those podcasts?
What is your second most memorable moment in the league?
Who is your fourth favourite user in the league?
If you were to change Jimmy Wagner’s name, what would you change it to?
Under which circumstances would you GM somewhere other than Carolina?

Jesus christ...

Username - No idea. Se7en is a username derived from the movie that I'd seen a few times, I liked how it looked aesthetically. Idk how we ended up with the extra letter.
First reaction - I wonder if this is something with a lot of character building to go with the be-a-pro mode.
Transition to power user - Probably when I first wanted to get involved in WJC to improve the prospect teams, both for myself and everyone involved. After that, when Fuzz asked if I wanted to help out.
Change one thing - Create at the trade deadline.
Girlfriend creating - Probably not, she isn't a sport person or a game person. She likes creative things, we watch playoff streams together occasionally, and she loves that I enjoy it, but it's not her thing. 
HTT - "Let's get free money for our discord conversations" turned into "how can I make this extra", and the league loved it so I kinda felt obligated to keep running it back.
Second most memorable moment - S54 Cup Winning game over Anaheim and the tactics behind the scenes that went into it. So much test simming and guessing what the Outlaws were up to. I felt so proud both of myself and of Fuzz, Trella, and Carolina.
Fourth favorite user (outside of HTT?) - Fuzz
Name Change - Simon Basset at this point, Bridgerton is gas and I'm basic as hell
GMing elsewhere - The J expansion was probably the one chance, given the med school plans.

01-13-2021, 10:55 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: So actual questions this time:

Why are you a fan of the NHL teams you are?
What moment has been the most impactful in your SHL career?
What is your favorite part of the Carolina Discord? What about LAP's?
You've caused quite the stir since coming into the League with your dedicated nature, how does the pressure to keep performing make you feel?
What do you think LAP's future looks like? What about Carolina's?
OnlyFans when?
What is the most important attribute in each of the Offensive, Defensive, & Physical categories?
Will the Kraken D&D campaign ever happen?
What advice would you give to somebody just starting out?
How do you think SHL HO has done for the betterment of the League lately? And SMJHL HO?
FMK: Overdoo, Smatt, Gumba
The Events team put a fantastic intro to the Playoffs out, are there any other projects you guys are working on? Can you shed more light on the rumors about a change to the draft?
Is it Pork Roll or Taylor Ham?
What J GM do you enjoy working with or playing against the most?
Do you feel you have any rival teams, be it in the J for Carolina or as Jimmy on LAP?
If you as a person played hockey, would you be a forward like Wagner? Or a different position?
If you get to it in time, Challenge Cup predictions? Four Star predictions? Stanley Cup predictions?
Can we get more cat photos?

I hate this idea now. I should have left this ungraded.

NHL Teams - Columbus is the hometown team. When they didn't exist and I was super young I loved the top line in Colorado. Nashville / Atlanta are because I loved expansion teams when I was young in general and being a fan of teams without established fan bases. 
Most impactful moment - Telling Mook to not trade me in season 55(?) and that I wanted to try and work things out with LAP. If I leave, LAP is different, the team I end up at or go to in FA is really different, and the domino effect is kinda wild in the future. Runner up for wild thought experiment that might become media is "what if hhh took me in the J draft?"
Favorite part of Carolina - The size and family nature of it all. There's an insane amount of wholesome and straight up love thrown about that is a little crazy to think about objectively.
Favorite part of Los Angeles - How I've had such a hand in shaping it in that interim process and resigning.
Most important attributes - Offensive Read, Defensive Read, Strength. Most widely applicable and effective attributes that will always be good. 
Kraken D&D - Maybe, but I doubt I ever have the time to run it until maybe 2022.
Advice for newbies - You get what you put it, but it's fine to not go hard like you see some people. The friends you can make here are legit.
HO - Transparency has been hit or miss but overall good. Nour and Luke have been huge proponents of improving the site in any way that people come up with and that's awesome.
FMK - I can't do that to my boys
Events team - Stay tuned next week for some things :eyes:. Draft production was great and I'm pumped to improve on that as well.
J GMs I like to work with - QCC, Flex and I go way back and Evok is shrewd sometimes but a good person. I'm gonna miss Katth a lot too.
J GMs I like to be against - At this point, idk if there is anyone I have a good rivalry with outside of the friendly stuff with QCC and the S53 people.
Rival teams - NOLA, easy. In the J, outside of the division, probably QCC for the above reasons and NL/VAN for the recent history.
Irl hockey - I was a goalie playing soccer, but I'd probably still be a two way winger with my combination of speed, size, endurance, and lack of skill.
Cat photos - 
[Image: 0227211205d.jpg?width=1366&height=683]

01-14-2021, 02:14 AMMazatt Wrote: How impactful is it for you to get familiar management in Los Angeles when you did? The rumours were out there that you would go to free agency, so I'm mostly looking on the elaboration on what made you want to stay in LA.

It was kind of awkward actually. In hind sight I made a mistake in deciding to re-up in LAP over going to free agency, the plan was for Mook to be GM eventually and Mook's pitch and vision were good so I sent it. Was probably not the best plan but the eventual result was really good.

01-13-2021, 10:55 AMZ0REM Wrote: I heard you have an onlyfans, care to comment?

01-13-2021, 03:43 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: OF when?

Hmmmmm...

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

How do you have time for anything else in your life?

[Image: sig-goldblum.png]
Former Player

I heard you have an onlyfans, care to comment?

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

seven really join the league after me and is already a gm smh

In your opinion, or someone else's opinion if you prefer, what is the biggest factor in keeping you around in the SHL?

Do you get existential dread when you think about how many real life years it will take for your player to complete his career arc?

Are you willing to commit here and now to recreating for Season 69?

What is your highest priority in terms of what needs to be changed about the league?

I would assume you have a hand in LAP management as well, do you think managing a junior team is more or less difficult than an SHL team?

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

S53 Best class?

How different did we turn out compared to the first few days in the S53 discord?

Is SHL GMing in your future?

I remember the first week or so on site when there was that prospect tournament, and I remember you taking over the lines of one of the teams - with quite a lot of confidence lol. I remember being a little taken aback with how direct you were being... some things never change, and I’m glad to have gotten to know you better buddy <3

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]

now you are an old man congrats

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

01-13-2021, 10:42 AMsve7en Wrote: Exported FHM lines on my phone while in the back of Faelax's car on the highway
Im glad you included this

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

What is Sara Wagner up to these days?

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

how have your thoughts on the shl changed over the year

How many days have you been on the site? Hours? Minutes, seconds, milliseconds?

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

how does it feel being old

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

01-13-2021, 12:05 PMbbjygm Wrote: How many days have you been on the site? Hours? Minutes, seconds, milliseconds?

Click on their user and you can see for yourself

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

How has it already been a year?

Eboy podcast when?

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

You have shown vestment into dozens of aspects of this site, all of which at the highest caliber. 

Do you feel this is sustainable in the long term?  If so, how in the hell do you do it and keep everything organized. 

Also, Jimmy is HOF bound for sure!

OF when?

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa