Create Account

S57 SHL State of the Union

01-21-2021, 03:22 PMztevans Wrote: Speaking of bojo and generals, which general can I beg to get rid of these dumb z's in my site title?  It's been like three years at this point, I feel like I've served my time.

I zwould if I zcould

01-21-2021, 03:22 PMluketd Wrote: Come back though. Need more cat pics

[Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 03:33 PM by ztevans.)

01-21-2021, 03:29 PMluketd Wrote:
01-21-2021, 03:22 PMztevans Wrote: Speaking of bojo and generals, which general can I beg to get rid of these dumb z's in my site title?  It's been like three years at this point, I feel like I've served my time.

I got you

You Gritty-loving so-and-so....

EDIT: AND YOU SOMEHOW LEFT-ALIGNED MY SIG YOU ABSOLUTE MADMAN.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Let's go over what Slappy said, for all the people defending him.

01-20-2021, 08:33 PMSlappydoodle Wrote: It truly depresses me that there is no mention of the index. Our current index is hot garbage. It has almost completely killed the love I had for this site. Why is this not a priority? You literally cannot even see a box score right now without going on discord and hoping it’s been posted in your LR. This has been an ongoing joke now ever since the ill thought out and rushed jump to FHM. We should never have made the switch until this was worked out. Instead we are going to kill the forum locker rooms, further cementing the idea that the SHL can only be enjoyed if you live on discord.

Slappy voices his frustration about how he hates the current index and is annoyed at why the new index is taking so long and that we should have never switched engines. Cool, he's entitled to that opinion however he does not need to act like a dickhead about it. Especially when you consider the fact that this isn't the first time that he's asked about the new index and that he's been explained multiple times that it is coming soon and that it is not an easy project. Each time he brings up the index, he's an asshole about. Maybe if Slappy were to go about it in a nice way, we wouldn't have a problem where users on the site always dunking on him when they get the chance.

01-20-2021, 09:04 PMJSS Wrote: A new index is being worked on. You're quite demanding for a new and improved index to be made now even though you've been told multiple times that it is coming soon. You also do realize that you pay 0$ to enjoy the site yea? I don't know what type of product you expect considering you pay nothing to be apart of the league. You should be thankful that there are people willing to make a fresh index for free when they could be doing something better with their lives instead of always complaining.

Next here's what I reply. I like many other people have in the past try to tell him that a new and improved index will not spawn out of thin air. This is a project that is being done for free by a few users on the site. I tell him that he pays 0$ to enjoy the site yet he expects a product that would easily cost over a thousand dollars from a freelancer.

01-20-2021, 10:18 PMSlappydoodle Wrote: Bro, I’ve been on this site for six years. I’ve served in the HO. I’ve served on various committees. I’ve created over two hundred hours of podcasts for the site and written a ton of articles for the teams I’ve been on. I have contributed my fair share. I don’t need your patronizing, condescending ass to lecture me and tell me how thankful I should be. I will continue to feel free to react to league announcements however I see fit. You can feel free to keep yammering away at how I should be on my knees thanking the lord I get to enjoy the bountiful harvest of the SHL. I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else on here. I owe nothing but whatever time I feel like contributing, which is increasingly less and less.

Now Slappy replies back to me and completely misses the point. Slappy here believes that recording over two hundred hours of podcasts, serving on various committees and writing articles is the same as making a new index completely from scratch. Sure @Slappydoodle those are some great contributions to the site but those contributions will never even be able to come close as to making a product that would cost a lot of money for free. No one will ever pay you real money to make decisions for a fake hockey league or record a podcast where you get drunk with your buddy and talk about fake hockey for an hour. However, making an index from scratch is something that people usually pay for. Again Slappy, you cannot expect a product that would cost real money for free and to be done as soon as possible when you pay 0$ to enjoy this site. People here have lives outside of this website.

Sure, there have been many unnecessary comments that have been made in this thread and I have said a few of them. However, if Slappy were to just not be an asshole about this new index taking long and would actually listen when people were explaining why it's taking so long maybe we wouldn't have people dunking on him.

[Image: 3.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 03:54 PM by ztevans.)

01-21-2021, 03:43 PMJSS Wrote: Let's go over what Slappy said, for all the people defending him.

01-20-2021, 08:33 PMSlappydoodle Wrote: It truly depresses me that there is no mention of the index. Our current index is hot garbage. It has almost completely killed the love I had for this site. Why is this not a priority? You literally cannot even see a box score right now without going on discord and hoping it’s been posted in your LR. This has been an ongoing joke now ever since the ill thought out and rushed jump to FHM. We should never have made the switch until this was worked out. Instead we are going to kill the forum locker rooms, further cementing the idea that the SHL can only be enjoyed if you live on discord.

Slappy voices his frustration about how he hates the current index and is annoyed at why the new index is taking so long and that we should have never switched engines. Cool, he's entitled to that opinion however he does not need to act like a dickhead about it. Especially when you consider the fact that this isn't the first time that he's asked about the new index and that he's been explained multiple times that it is coming soon and that it is not an easy project. Each time he brings up the index, he's an asshole about. Maybe if Slappy were to go about it in a nice way, we wouldn't have a problem where users on the site always dunking on him when they get the chance.

01-20-2021, 09:04 PMJSS Wrote: A new index is being worked on. You're quite demanding for a new and improved index to be made now even though you've been told multiple times that it is coming soon. You also do realize that you pay 0$ to enjoy the site yea? I don't know what type of product you expect considering you pay nothing to be apart of the league. You should be thankful that there are people willing to make a fresh index for free when they could be doing something better with their lives instead of always complaining.

Next here's what I reply. I like many other people have in the past try to tell him that a new and improved index will not spawn out of thin air. This is a project that is being done for free by a few users on the site. I tell him that he pays 0$ to enjoy the site yet he expects a product that would easily cost over a thousand dollars from a freelancer.

01-20-2021, 10:18 PMSlappydoodle Wrote: Bro, I’ve been on this site for six years. I’ve served in the HO. I’ve served on various committees. I’ve created over two hundred hours of podcasts for the site and written a ton of articles for the teams I’ve been on. I have contributed my fair share. I don’t need your patronizing, condescending ass to lecture me and tell me how thankful I should be. I will continue to feel free to react to league announcements however I see fit. You can feel free to keep yammering away at how I should be on my knees thanking the lord I get to enjoy the bountiful harvest of the SHL. I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else on here. I owe nothing but whatever time I feel like contributing, which is increasingly less and less.

Now Slappy replies back to me and completely misses the point. Slappy here believes that recording over two hundred hours of podcasts, serving on various committees and writing articles is the same as making a new index completely from scratch. Sure @Slappydoodle those are some great contributions to the site but those contributions will never even be able to come close as to making a product that would cost a lot of money for free. No one will ever pay you real money to make decisions for a fake hockey league or record a podcast where you get drunk with your buddy and talk about fake hockey for an hour. However, making an index from scratch is something that people usually pay for. Again Slappy, you cannot expect a product that would cost real money for free and to be done as soon as possible when you pay 0$ to enjoy this site. People here have lives outside of this website.

Sure, there have been many unnecessary comments that have been made in this thread and I have said a few of them. However, if Slappy were to just not be an asshole about this new index taking long and would actually listen when people were explaining why it's taking so long maybe we wouldn't have people dunking on him.

Again, not defending him. That point seems to be lost, just as it was lost when I took a similar stance in this thread. I've never had any issue putting Slappy to task when he's out of line, and have received more than one angry PM from him along the way and sent a couple back the other way as well.

At some point, however, we've all got to realize this is supposed to be for fun. Slappy needs to realize that, but so do the people who rush at every opportunity to blast him. Nothing is fun about posterizing someone on the internet.

EDIT: Are posters even a thing anymore?

Nikolai Evans

OK, let's put our emotions aside for a second. Next time just put the status of the index in the state of the union thingy. It's an important thing. Boom, done.

01-21-2021, 04:33 PM.bojo Wrote: OK, let's put our emotions aside for a second. Next time just put the status of the index in the state of the union thingy. It's an important thing. Boom, done.

You're an important thing.

Nikolai Evans

01-21-2021, 03:43 PMJSS Wrote: Let's go over what Slappy said, for all the people defending him.

IDK if it's as much defending him as telling people to act their age, just because someone comes off in a hostile manner doesn't mean a big part of site needs to shit on him over and over, making memes, calling him a boomer because he's older etc. I'm pretty sure nobody has said that he came into the conversation in a good way, rather that he brings up a good point in asking about the index because it wasn't brought up (No, i don't think that the small note that we should remove forum parts to pursue the new index as an update on the index), despite being arguably the most important thing we're "waiting" for right now. After discussions in the NL LR i can agree that making an update talking about how the coding process is going seems rather wasted when the absolute majority of the site don't know a thing about coding, but just saying over and over that its coming "soon" is counterproductive.

I understand that people on the project has a lot on their plate now, though that hasn't been made public knowledge (to me at least, might have missed a post) and seeing how they don't have an obligation to do anything for free, i don't expect for info like that to come out. But the last progress update was like 4 months ago and after that the only info (that i personally) has seen is that the team is hiring, from the thread made by Teddy that was buried in the Jobs forum, so i hadn't seen that either until now.

I can see why someone who doesn't enjoy the league without proper info about how your player is playing without going through youtube videos. I still don't agree with the way he brought it up, though i don't feel like it was as bad as people make it out to be, but maybe i'm missing something in translation. I don't see his post as shitting on the people doing the index, more shitting on the fact that the progress or lack thereof wasn't even mentioned despite being a top priority.

I can understand his frustration in a way as someone who's, as you mention, has been told again and again that it's coming "soon" and then when a "state of the union", talking about what's going on in the league is posted and the status of the biggest project isn't even one of the topics, that would frustrate me too, lol. But again, i get that coding talk is probably wasted on an update if no major progress has been made, in terms of what is working and what still needs to be done. But at least a mention like "The index is still being worked on but due to various reasons it won't be finished just yet" or whatever, but nothing like that was posted either. It was probably an oversight and i don't blame if it was missed, i didn't think about it when i read throught the post the first time either. Now we all know that they are undermanned and most of us don't know what the hell it takes to code the thing, i love that we have people that are willing to put their coding skills to use for free so that we can all enjoy the site even more, and hopefully we can actually have the job posting more visible now that we know what's going on, so that perhaps people with the skills can chime in. As i mentioned earlier that i bet a lot of people would be willing to throw some extra donos in to make the people working on it get something back for their trouble, and as RED mentioned it could probably be a good idea to add a couple dollars on merch to help fund it.

Either way, the pictures we got in the september update looks amazing and i was very pleasently surprised to see them. When it does come it will raise the league a lot IMO.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

01-21-2021, 04:36 PMztevans Wrote:
01-21-2021, 04:33 PM.bojo Wrote: OK, let's put our emotions aside for a second. Next time just put the status of the index in the state of the union thingy. It's an important thing. Boom, done.

You're an important thing.

[Image: giphy.gif]

01-21-2021, 04:41 PM.bojo Wrote:
01-21-2021, 04:36 PMztevans Wrote: You're an important thing.

me after 10 seconds

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

01-21-2021, 04:41 PM.bojo Wrote:
01-21-2021, 04:36 PMztevans Wrote: You're an important thing.

Thaaaaaat's going in my avatar rotation.

Nikolai Evans

Nour mentioned it twice, I guess it not having it's own heading is the issue?

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 05:05 PM by JT3.)

I don't agree with how Slappy chose to convey his concern, but for a place that aims to be welcoming and inclusive, aren't we missing the mark a bit by having a dozen people berate someone for their age? If I was someone of an older generation looking to get involved in the league and I saw the nonsense in this thread I wouldn't feel all that welcome at all.

On a more relevant note, keep up the great work Nour, Luke and Co. Lots of great changes recently and in the near future.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

01-21-2021, 03:05 PM.bojo Wrote:
01-21-2021, 03:01 PMtrella Wrote: Yeah... but this isnt a job.

This is a forum filled with a bunch of degenerates, including myself.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=70193

There is someone missing under the SMJHL teams Timber

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]

15 pages, 4 of any real worth. Maybe less.

It's understandable how Slappy feels. Most of us on this site spend a lot of time in the discord chatting with our friends or playing video games with each other, and doing a lot more things because of the site and who we meet here rather than things actually on the site. But there are still those that really just want to jump on the site, check to see how their player did that day, maybe make a comment or two on some media, and go about their day. Both sides are invested in the league, just differently. That's okay. It's just as sad to see long time members like Bonk and Slappy become disenfranchised with the league as it is wonderful that the league has become so much more than just a sim league for others. And I think Slappy's point was that he's been a super active member of this site for forever, and he's just legit upset that something he's invested lots of time in in his life is fading away. I think we could all understand how that would make us feel.

As for the actual topics at hand:

The Index - I have no idea how much work truly goes into it all. It's crazy from what I can tell. How much would hiring someone from the outside cost to make us an index? I'd personally chip in, as this site has been so important to me for the last 4 and half years. I feel like a decent amount of us would. Is there a ballpark figure? Wondering how cost effective it would be. Could be a better alternative. I'd also be wiling to just straight up pay Evan, but he might just want/need the time for himself. He's insanely busy, as we know.

Team Forums - How many teams actually use these again? The days of 60+ season thread in the LR on site are long dead. Eliminate them.

The Update Scale - It's still a big WIP as was said before. I like the idea of getting people with 600-700ish TPE to matter in the SHL though.

Everything else is nice. I really do enjoy the way the league is trending. There's a lot of cool things going on, for sure.

Now if only we could just start doing offline drafts to have a much better draft presentation . . . . Smile

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

01-21-2021, 05:01 PMDrunkenTeddy Wrote:
Nour mentioned it twice, I guess it not having it's own heading is the issue?

He mentioned it passively, sure. But nothing like "hey we've got this and this done, and at this point we need that and that". It wasn't until it was brought up that I learned the backend work was done, just getting it displayed was the next step. That's cool to know.

Being behind the scenes at one point I know how hard y'all work. I enjoy these State of the Union things. Slappy simply had a suggestion but in a way too frustrated tone that's all.

I want to say I don't care, but this is like my 5th post in this thread and I just want you guys to be happy lol.