Create Account

S58 PT #1 Empty Arenas

Well, to be honest it's pretty hard to get excited and get pumped to play games in an empty arena. It's something that we honestly never really thought we would have to deal with as a league or as a team or even as individual players. In a way it kinda feels like we're just practicing out there and not really even playing actual games. It's been hard to cope with for sure, but we've been doing a decent job of trying to gas each other up and treat every game as if it's just as important as normal because well, it is. Just because there's no fans in the arenas doesnt mean these games matter any less. We're still professionals and we still have that compete level that we always have had, regardless of whether or not people are watching live in person or on their TVs at home. Regardless of whether or not the fans are there yelling, it still feels just as good to pot pucks into the back of the net.

Code:
175 words

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

PBE Affiliation

[Image: TNUT2f6.png]
[Image: rL8frIL.png]
[Image: jOCBbVg.gif]
[Image: 6Hefllo.gif]

PBE PT

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

Considering Tampa is playing in Florida, fans would be allowed in the arena because I guess the State of Florida told COVID it isn't allowed to be a thing there or something. Anyways, in states that aren't braindead, the Barracuda players are finding increasing interesting ways to fire each other up before and during the game. An early favorite is "Flaming Pickle". A pickle is set on fire and passed around between the players. If you have the pickle when the flame goes out, or you cause the flame to go out while handing it to another player, you have to face the wall while the previous five flaming pickle handlers shoot tape balls into your back. After the punishment, the person that had the pickle will re-ignite it and continue the game. After the first and second period, and additional pickle may come into play if both goalies can get to their stall and take the top half of their gear off in five minutes since the period ended.

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page

The Toronto North Stars team was asked prior to the season how they would like to best use the empty seats in their home arena. In other arenas some teams use cardboard cutouts of people (in some cases the fans even have to pay for it to have their cardboard-self displayed), but the Toronto North Stars decided they wanted something more personal, more unique that appealed to them. Every player got to put into the seats what they wanted, not what management wanted. Everyone on the team is different after all and requires different things to hype them up. Each player got assigned one section to ‘decorate’ so to say. Some members of the team had pictures of their pets put into the seats, favorite musicians, motivating quotes and so on. What did Harry Carpet choose? You probably guessed the theme already. Cutouts of different oversized caffeinated beverages were placed into the seats. A giant cappuccino here, an espresso there, you get the idea. Whatever works, right? You just skate past a coffee before the game and the energy is there.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

At the end of the day it would be pretty sad not having fans in the stadium and while I do really appreciate them I can get even motivation prior to the game just out of my sheer drive to best the best and to win the game. I know how much work I have put into training, eating right, practicing to build chemistry with my teammates on the ice, studying film and seeking mentorship for older players on the team that all my efforts I put into being the best player I can be is all the motivation I need. Also seeing my teammates work just as hard as me and sacrifice so many things to win is really motivating. After losing in the firs round of the playoffs in season fifty seven having been upset by the Atlanta Inferno that feeling of deep disappointment and a bitter taste of disgust still left in my mouth. I want to show the league that the Dragons are a legitimate threat to win it all.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

It is my current belief based on past experiences and asking people around me that COVID sucks (I know, that is quite the hot take). One of the reasons is playing in an empty stadium but if it helps to save people and be generally good for our enjoyment of life it is the bitter pill I am willing to take. The NHL has shown us that it is possible so I hope that the SHL implements the same measures as the "other" hockey league did.

With some nice music and the pumping in of fake crowd noise the SHL games will generally still be a good experience hopefully so that people in front of their TVs can enjoy the games. For us in the stadium it will still make quite the difference playing in front of empty ranks and everything will be a lot quieter even with fake crowd noise, but hopefully in Carolina we will be super focussed on the games and winning anyways so that way we will have something to fight for.

In the end an empty stadium is a small price to pay for the wellbeing of fans, the general public and the players and at least we don't have to struggle with conference realignment like other leagues do.

[Image: gREvMiW.png]
Canada Timber  Jean-Jacques François Jacques-Jean || S74  Timber Canada
Austria Barracuda Kraken  Finn von Murphenstein || S57 - S72  Kraken Barracuda Austria 

When it comes to the Blizzard there is a lot of internal motivation that comes into play but it has to be prefaced for the situation. For example, playing Calgary, Winnipeg, Minnesota, or Seattle? The crowds don't need to be there to drive in the importance of these games to the boys in blue--especially against Calgary. They just naturally get up, ready to play. It's inter-division rivalries that you don't have to worry about. The same olive branch extends to playing against some of the southwest teams. Texas and Los Angeles are on the up so the hype around playing good teams persist. Same thing goes for the Great Lakes and Manhattan out East. Big games naturally bring upon big energy from the players. Going against San Francisco, though? That's where Edmonton has to find room for hype.

To find energy the locker room naturally turns to some of the veterans; Tony Pepperoni is good for a speech and leads by example with his gritty play. J41 is always stoic and is another "lead by example" type guy. He's always ready to seize the moment and the energy he exudes gets picked up by the team easily. And of course, it's hard to deny that having a literal cow moo or speak to the team doesn't get them hype. But they also can't rely on oldies for everything. They're brittle boned and could fall apart at any moment. The youth leadership in Edmonton is also a huge part in getting up for games on the road. JPB might not be a spring chicken but as the (rumoured) captain he always sets the tone on the ice with massive hits. Daniel LaForest also stands out as a leader beside JPB, but moreso because he pushes everyone to preform better before the game, letting everyone know he could bench their body weight AND two more plates. Sets a weird fire under their asses but it works. And finally, Kyle Sutton. His pre-game work is overshadowed by how he handles the locker room post-game but there's a reason he has the A after his rookie season. He plays the right way and knows what to say on an individual level to get a player going.

Code:
386 words

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

Who said the fans gave me energy? I would rather slam down five cups of coffee than hear fans cheering any day. Sure, I'm being a bit tongue and cheek, I do love our passionate supporters and they're great motivation, but I can still feel their love from home and through scrolling through social medi...actually I see that "Wagstrom is so overrated" way too much on Twitter, social media doesn't really help. But energy particularly comes from the massive cup of coffee I down before warm-ups. It is some of the strongest stuff out there, one of the most artisan brews with a rich flavor that I keep in a thermos. I never forget to bring it to the rink, no matter how busy I am, I don't know how you'd function without coffee. Everyone has their routine before the game, and it's all different, some people eat a lot, some people meditate to clear their mind, some people listen to hype music. But I'm telling you, caffeine is the way to go, you never feel more awake and alive than after a good cup of joe.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

Most of the team has grown up playing in front of larger and larger crowds at every level they have advanced through.  Having 20000 screaming fans at home games is something that we would count on to get us pumped up and perform our best.  With empty arenas now the norm, and fake crowd noise being played over the loud speakers, it just lacks something.  It is very difficult to truly get up for a game when you do not have the fans that make it special in the stands.  Of course we soldier on, and when you are on the ice, you are generally so focused the crowd noise gets muted a bit but man, when you score, you miss that roar.

It sounds like many places are getting closer to allowing fans back so we all hope that things will go back to normal here or at least normal with a mask on.  Because we are indoors, it does make it a bit more challenging but we hope that by the end of the season, we have at least reduced capacity fan numbers back in the stands.

Code:
189 Words

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks

I'm used to empty arenas at this point.  Entering my 5th season in the SHL I couldn't tell you what a fan even looks like.  Arenas have been locked down for every one of my seasons so far so that's no biggie.  The adjustment I'll need to make is how I get ready for a game without my cocaine.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any with me leaving Kelowna because we had a shipment issue and I think I've gotten through the withdrawal period, but I still feel lost when it comes to game prep.  How am I supposed to fight the mascot and headbutt a brick wall without angel dust? Like, do guys just drink a lot of coffee? I guess I'll find out when the preseason starts and try to emulate some of the other guys' pregame rituals but man... Life in the SHL is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Playing without fans is hard definitely but its better than the alternative which is no games at all. I've spent my time getting pumped up for games talking to fans on social media or watching highlights and trying to spark some energy that way. As a second year player, its a little easier on me than some of our rookies because we've done this already. We play our music a little louder and we pump each other up a little louder and we go out there and give 'em hell as best we can because we know our fans are behind us whether their in the stands or at home. Of course when we score I like to point or motion to as many cut outs as I can of our fans to let them know that their presence matters whether its here or not.

Some teams have taken to "piping" in crowd sound, its just not the same. Hopefully soon we can get back to having our fans in the seats but until then we gotta stay safe.

The Calgary Dragons have an interesting way of filling the Big Parm for games and the team is having a ton of fun with it. Kata Vilde purchased for the team some 10,000 used mannequins from a resale shop. Each of the Dragons has been dressing up the mannequins and placing them in the seats. There have been some quite interesting appearences in the stands. A-Rye Izzy before being sent down for some reason dressed up his as members of several notable Boy Bands. So you'll see the members of NKOTB, The Backstreet Boys, Nsync and One Direction out in the stands. Otis B Driftwood has taken to dressing his up as classic Hollywood stars so you'll see of course Groucho Marx as well as Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, Bing Crosby and Marlene Dietrich. Esa Parmborg has chosen to dress his up as Italian Chefs. You'll see Mario Battali, Giada deLaurentis, Rocco DiSprito and Tom Collichio. And of course not to be outdone Kata Vilde brings in WWE Hall of Famers like Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, his dad Randy Savage, Dusty Rhodes and even the Fabulous Moolah. So there's quite a colorful crowd at the Big Parm and you'll never know who you may see at the next game.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

PBE Welfare

[Image: cG4eDd7.png]

Its so bizarre playing in an empty arena up in Canada, it is not something that Stan Q Next was used to doing. Growing up in the Dominicant Republic from a young age Stan Q Next was a hockey prodigy and had many people attending his games even though the DR is not known for hockey there were still a ton of people who wanted to watch him and it was amazing. In the SMJHL it was very bizarre to play in empty arenas but now Stan Q Next is going up to the big leagues and going to play in Atlanta, which as everyone knows is in the deep south which hilariously means this question won't apply. No one down there believes in covid so Stan Q Next is going to be playing in front of a packed arena where everyone can see him and all the fans will be there and it will be great and awful all at the same time.