Create Account

S59 PT #2 Your Day Off!

After our practice is over, I am jumping on a flight out of Baltimore and flying up to Manchester, a fairly quick flight. My sister is picking me up and driving me home. I'll have a nice home cooked meal (easy on the grease, the team nutritionist told me) Probably play a few video games late with my sister, we haven't seen each other. The next day my father and I will go fishing in Ellsworth Pond. The fishing itself actually kind of sucks as the fish never really bite, but just chilling on the boat, especially during a weekday in late fall is just the thing after a long start to the season. Spending time with my dad is always great as well. 

Then I will just have another home cooked dinner and relax with my parents. I was going to hang out with my buds, but Lights [Nat Emerson] told me "Don't do a day with your friends, you'll be more tired than when you left. A day with the family at home is worth a week." He's been around for a while, so I'll take that to heart.

[Image: A9nSgBs.gif]

Right now, Zdenko Beranek is spending most of his time off getting settled into his new digs in Calgary. Fortunately, he had not pulled the trigger on any living arrangements in Seattle prior to his trade, but there was still a move from Quebec City to Calgary to arrange. Zdenko has mostly been living out of boxes and suitcases in his new apartment, unpacking strictly out of necessity until the rare time off presents itself and gives him a chance to properly unpack and find things to decorate his new apartment.

Those days off also give him time to check out Calgary, the city, and become more acclimated with his new home. Fortunately, as the son of a former professional hockey player, he's very familiar with the process of learning about new places and traveling, but he is definitely interested in learning more about Calgary and, to no one's surprise, his Dragon teammates have been quick to point out the best places to eat in the city.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Gabe Johnson is a big name in the hockey business at the moment, for better or for worse, but he has always loved watching soccer more than hockey, and likely could have chosen soccer as his sport to play just as easily as hockey. On sunday he likes to freshen up his choice of sport to play, and go to local parks to kick a ball around or play in pick up matches. He is equally as bad at defending in soccer, and mostly just runs fast to compensate for mediocre positioning. Johnson enjoys the casual nature of just going for a little kick around at the park, as it is out of the big media spotlight of the Simulation Hockey League. Of course he is often recognized when he does go out to the park and may have to deal with that, but all the same it is a much more relaxing and casual atmosphere for him to enjoy as a well-known pro level athlete.

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

In my downtime Im very much into the culinary arts. From food, to drink, to service I find it all fantastic. Depending on where I have 6 days of downtime I will spend almost all of that time walking around the city going from establishment to establishment while eating and drinking everything I can. If I was given notice before my downtime, I will spend my evenings after practice looking at menus from restaurants and bars nearby. Making lists of dishes or drinks to try, making lists of chefs who I follow, making walking maps of cities that will make for my best time. Had I not become a hockey player, I probably would have sought out a career in hospitality or food journalism. Im already saving all of my salary with the hopes to open my own bar/restaurant for when I retire. I want to own an entire empire of restaurants. Being the next Troy Guard or Frank Bonanno of Denver.

[Image: d2EaZfr.png]
Former Player

After a hard fought week of training, practice, and games played, it's nice to get some time to sit back and relax for a bit of me time. I like to spend my free time sitting on my back deck looking out on the lake and reading a Stephen King novel. I always try and make time to cook something delicious on my BBQ, usually it's steak or chicken but I have been know to try some different kinds of things.. In the offseason I love to go camping and hiking through the woods when I am not training for the upcoming season. Whenever I get the time, I like to work on my own book that I have been writing and will hopefully finish one day. With retirement coming up soon, I am going to have all the time in the world to do all the things I love to do and try all the things I never had time to.

There are many things to do on days off. I love to relax when I don't have to practice or get ready for a game. It's awesome to be able to just go for a walk around the city or in the forest. I also love seeing my friends on my day off. This busy lifestyle makes it hard to have close friendships but I really love my friends and love spending time with them, playing board games with them or having trivia nights. That is the most fun I really have, more so than even with hockey if I am honest. I also love to just veg out at home and play some video games. There are many great video games that I love and could sink hours and hours into, especially OOTP baseball and maybe some other games like cities skylines. I also love Banished and a few other games as well.

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 01:52 PM by Sivart.)

Like most, I would start my day of in bed, sleeping in as long as my mind would allow. From there I would find my way to the kitchen for a delicious mid-day brunch, complete with eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, toast, coffee, and an ice cold Caesar. To digest, I’ll find my way to a couch for a post meal nap. This would likely follow by waking up in the mid afternoon a little groggy – so best just to stay horizontal and see what's on. Before I know it, the sun will be setting and it will be time for another delicious meal – steak and mashed potatoes with a caeser salad and glass of Barolo. I’ll return to the couch after to see what games are on – only to finally fall back asleep. I’d wake up one final time to something like darts or Nordic-combined competitions to turn it off, grab a glass of icy cold water, and head to bed. So yes, my off-day is primarily eating, sleeping, and watching TV.

[Image: regsivart.gif]
[Image: SyiOY8U.png] [Image: rwqM7d3.png]

I will be honest with you all, Daud Ramza’s days offs are really stressful. In between the normal hate mail from fans and strenuous rehabbing from the wear and tear of the games, there appears to be some villain out here slandering Ramza’s good name. Recently the police showed up at Ramza’s house to inquire about his whereabouts on the night of a mugging the other week. It took much explanation, but Ramza was finally able to yell out “That’s not Daud Ramza! That’s a person wearing a Daud Ramza mask!” If you have any information on the whereabouts of a man who is about six feet tall, one hundred and ninety to two hundred pounds, Caucasian and has an unearned sense of pride that comes with being a Londoner, please get in contact with the Carolina police department immediately! IDENTITY THEFT IS NOT A JOKE @Memento Mori! MILLIONS OF FAMILIES SUFFER EVERY YEAR!

I also like graphic design. It is just ever so nice to try and play around with some logos.

Code:
172 Words

[Image: blasoon.gif]

Unfortunately if I'm playing hockey 6 days a week, that 7th day is inevitably spent catching up on life maintenance. Stuff like grocery shopping and cleaning up the ol' apartment are top of the list for me. It's important to remember that professional hockey players are regular people too and although some choose to spend their luxurious salaries to outsource these types of chores, I'm the type to keep grounded and not let lifestyle creep remove those simple things from my life. Of course these responsibilities don't take all day so when I'm done with all the necessities, I always like to spend time relaxing by eating cheat day meals and filling up completely on entertainment. Wether that be video games, shows, audiobooks, or just catching up with friends, it's always time well spent to refresh and recharge for the next week. It's always nice to remember to take a day just for myself without worrying about the upcoming week or the week that has just gone by.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

In Seattle, there are some fun things to get up to - but the best thing about it is it's proximity to Vancouver. Reid and his other Vancouver boys like Jack Kanoff and Vaseline Podcalzone would make the road trip up to Vancouver to spend a day eating bomb sushi or going on a hike in squamish or something. We could go to Stanley Park or reminisce at all the parties at UBC. We would probably get rained on and the traffic would be fucking awful, but at least it would be a good roadie with the boys. Our wee lad Pod isnt drinking age in the states yet either, so we would have to go to gas town and booze our way in a bar hopping afternoon. The goal would be to get blasted enought that tig would have to send the private jet to pick us up and get us back to seattle safely. @jeffie43 @bdu754 [155 words]

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]

I would start my day off by sleeping in. Once I wake up, I would probably play some video games and just chill out. I might call up Shane Duffy Jr. and Kappa Kappa and see if they’re down to run some COD. In my opinion, the best part about a day off is just being able to do nothing at all, so I would probably just enjoy lying on the couch and not worry about anything. If I was feeling up to it, I might play some basketball with my friends or play some golf with the boys. For dinner I would cop a pizza from Domino’s, and in the evening I would watch the Habs game. After this, I would start getting prepared for my next game, whether that’s by watching film, working out, or analyzing the other team. I would then take some more time to relax and mentally prepare my body for the upcoming week.

[Image: wMOao8d.png]

I, Luffy Richard, love to hit up my favorite ramen spots to enjoy some spicy goodness. I also like to wake up early to cook myself some eggs with mushrooms, green onions, and extra sharpe cheddar cheese. A lot of my free time seems to be based around eating, but what can I say--I'm a growing boy. I also like to sit down with a nice coffee stout and watch the worst shark-related horror movies that streaming services have to offer. I do not know why, but I love me some terrible shark movies. I'll go out to catch an afternoon flick at the local theater so I can indulge in my love of snacking and cinema. I am the full package of culture. Look upon my free time and see what peak humanity looks like! I also clean up my room and do laundry like an adult. You hear that, mom and dad, I do not need your help to function!

[Image: WzzhGnr.png][Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: image0.png][Image: UMRTITC.gif]

Ryan Shepard has picked up the hobby of F1 racing over the past few seasons. He's in a casual league with Adam Scianna, Luca Del Vecchio, Magnus Liljeström, and a few others. The league races happen during the offseason as it would be too time consuming during the season. Shepard puts a lot of time into practicing, but there were no races this offseason so he hasn't driven in a while. On his day off he rented the Chicago Motor Speedway for a few hours. It's a NASCAR track so it's an oval with no real corners to practice on, but he wanted to drive and get the feel for his car again at 300 KPH. It was a fun afternoon of driving fast and killing tires. The soft set he brought didn't last too long, even with minimal turns. Shepard is known for his poor tire management in the league. It was a refreshing break as he gets ready to return to his SHL games the following day.

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

Being on a pro hockey team means spending a lot of time away from your friends and family. While your teammates may be your brothers (and occasionally sisters or intergalactic beings), they can't fully fill that gap in your life. When the thick of the season is going on and you find yourself with back to back games and practices on your other days, you start to miss those moments with your family. So when those rare hockey-free days come around, I would prefer spending them with my wife and dog first and foremost. Simple things, like going for a hike or going to the movies or even eating a dinner at a new restaurant. Something that has a familiarity and comfort, and gives a bit of a break of the harshness of the road or of the pro hockey schedule. While I wouldn't trade my teammates for anything, sometimes you need a break and a chance to sit down and refresh and relax.

[Image: v71TGsT.gif]

Because playing a sport can be very intensive, I try to have hobbies for my free time that are more relaxing. While sometimes I do play video games and can get all riled up at Call of Duty or the latest Chel game, the past few years I've been able to find some more peaceful hobbies. So, on my hockey-free days now I like to try and meditate for at least 30 minutes to an hour to de-stress. Practicing mindfulness is very important and can actually help improve your performance in sports. I try to meditate every day, but it might only be 10 minutes on a busy day. Another hobby that I've had for a little while is playing piano. While I am not amazing, playing and practicing piano is a lot more enjoyable to me than many other hobbies I've tried. Playing piano and trying to learn new songs has been really great for me on days when I have more free time.

[Image: 5yBVV1C.jpeg]