Create Account

SHL Divisions Proposal

05-06-2021, 03:47 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
05-06-2021, 03:38 PMDrunkenTeddy Wrote: HO is going to be taking a poll on this one, so it's definitely not decided, but breaks between rounds (except finals) only started with FHM because we had to add it. Shortening the playoffs by a few days would be great, I don't think it's a moot thing. I think in either format we are going to see more of the same teams playing each other, it's just a matter of whether that's in round 1, 2, or 3.

Can you touch a bit more on what exactly led to the breaks being added after the switch to FHM, is it just due to re-seeding or are there other reasons as well? I agree that it generally would be good if we could get rid of them but I also don't think it would be that big of a problem if we didn't - plus there might be other ways to deal with predictions in case of re-seeding that might not even require breaks.

The breaks were added to allow playoff predictions to take place, if you do the predictions before the playoffs then Round 2 you have to list basically any team vs any team. It basically was a huge mess to predict and would have caused a lot of confusion.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

05-06-2021, 05:43 PMDrunkenTeddy Wrote:
05-06-2021, 03:47 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Can you touch a bit more on what exactly led to the breaks being added after the switch to FHM, is it just due to re-seeding or are there other reasons as well? I agree that it generally would be good if we could get rid of them but I also don't think it would be that big of a problem if we didn't - plus there might be other ways to deal with predictions in case of re-seeding that might not even require breaks.

The breaks were added to allow playoff predictions to take place, if you do the predictions before the playoffs then Round 2 you have to list basically any team vs any team. It basically was a huge mess to predict and would have caused a lot of confusion.

Yeah that's why I meant by re-seeding, sorry if I didn't word it very clearly.

05-06-2021, 03:47 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
05-06-2021, 03:38 PMDrunkenTeddy Wrote: HO is going to be taking a poll on this one, so it's definitely not decided, but breaks between rounds (except finals) only started with FHM because we had to add it. Shortening the playoffs by a few days would be great, I don't think it's a moot thing. I think in either format we are going to see more of the same teams playing each other, it's just a matter of whether that's in round 1, 2, or 3.

Can you touch a bit more on what exactly led to the breaks being added after the switch to FHM, is it just due to re-seeding or are there other reasons as well? I agree that it generally would be good if we could get rid of them but I also don't think it would be that big of a problem if we didn't - plus there might be other ways to deal with predictions in case of re-seeding that might not even require breaks.

I do think it makes a difference if you end up playing the same team in round 1 vs round 3 by the way - it's a very different experience if you keep getting matched against the same team season after season because you happen to be in the same division compared to meeting that team in the finals repeatedly because both of you have fought your way through a long and intense playoff campaign.

I think the Division-issue expands beyond the pure playoff format as well. As we have seen in recent seasons there has been a significant imbalance between Divisions that I don't think will disappear even if parity keeps improving and expansion happens. It will likely always be a thing because it's basically unavoidable if we break our league down into such small units that sample sizes become so small that they can't accuractely reflect any kind of reasonable average anymore. If we can't prevent that from happeneing as I suspect, then the next logical step would be to at least diminish the effects of it by not having the arbitrary Division set-up play such a big role in determining our standings and seeding.

Short-term divisional playoffs will be painful for the great lakes, but for the rest of the league it's actually not too bad, the 1-8 to me however is better right now based on the imbalance of the league, but as you said:

"it's a very different experience if you keep getting matched against the same team season after season because you happen to be in the same division"

I think this argument just extends to using a top 16 format instead of a 1-8. If we are going to slice the league east/west, why are we forcing the Atlantic teams into that side of the bracket knowing they will get knocked out round 1 every season for a long time to come? That sounds like a horrible experience to me.

As a player in the west, either way is fine with me, should be fun matchups either way, but if you're playing in the east, I am not sure what a 1-8 really does for you if you aren't on HAM/BUF/TOR, which is a bit of a concern for me when looking at the Atlantic.

I think we should have more divisions. Two teams per division. Everyone makes playoffs. Six teams win challenge cup.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Fuck it, let's become a pro-reg league

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

There's a lot of chatter just basing things on the Great Lakes of right now. But we can't base an entire future just on how things are now. Teams still have cycles, other teams are getting better, the new salary cap stuff/grandfathered contracts are kicking in, and there's good reason to think that the we're on the path towards a much lesser "GL dominance". I'm not saying they'll magically be "bad", but they won't be as head and shoulders above everyone else like it is now. Yeah, it's tough for the Atlantic for a bit, sure, but like, it's tough for them now regardless as they're all in some sort of building mode (or being super unlucky like Tampa on top of it) but we'll be seeing Baltimore, Tampa, Atlanta, etc in a much better state as they go up, and the new rules bring the BUF/HAM/TORs of the world back down a bit.

So yeah, 1-8, Teddy's second option is just superior for the short and long term for sure.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

05-07-2021, 10:08 AMJKortesi81 Wrote: There's a lot of chatter just basing things on the Great Lakes of right now. But we can't base an entire future just on how things are now. Teams still have cycles, other teams are getting better, the new salary cap stuff/grandfathered contracts are kicking in, and there's good reason to think that the we're on the path towards a much lesser "GL dominance". I'm not saying they'll magically be "bad", but they won't be as head and shoulders above everyone else like it is now. Yeah, it's tough for the Atlantic for a bit, sure, but like, it's tough for them now regardless as they're all in some sort of building mode (or being super unlucky like Tampa on top of it) but we'll be seeing Baltimore, Tampa, Atlanta, etc in a much better state as they go up, and the new rules bring the BUF/HAM/TORs of the world back down a bit.

So yeah, 1-8, Teddy's second option is just superior for the short and long term for sure.

1-8 or bust

[Image: 60859_s.gif]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]