Create Account

S59 PT #5 - An Unexpected Surprise
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2021, 04:15 AM by dankoa.)

a) Maybe the most suprising draft pick I can remember was made by Buffalo and their current Hall of Fame GM, WannabeFinn back in S40. Considering how incredibly consistent the team's draft picks have been in the years since, leading them to be a powerhouse team in the league for a long time, the fact that they used the 1st overall pick back then on Conor McGregor, the latest player from the user Winter is Coming was something I found incredibly surprising. McGregor's user had a history of patchy activity on the site, and had been drafted high previously by the team without being able to follow through. The class was admittedly not one of the best ever, but there was still some really good talent at the top of the draft so I was really surprised with what happened, particularly given the context. McGregor didn't have much of a career, especially not for someone you take 1st overall, and looking back he is probably the only bad value pick the team made in that era.

Code:
175 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

2) The Season 58 Simulation Major Junior Hockey League draft was one of the most important moments in Shane Duffy Jrs. youn career to date. Finally being able to play in the developmental league for what is often considered the biggest and best simulation hockey league, how could SDJ not be excited. Going into the draft, it could have been said that Duffy Jr. was a relatively unknown prospect, especially when compared to some of his bigger and better draftmates. All this meant that it was most definitely an unexpected, albeit pleasant surprise to Duffy Jr. when he found out that the Quebec City Citadelles were planning on drafting him in the first round of the draft with their tenth overall pick. Duffy was obviously over the moon with this news and as soon as he heard it he got out and the ice and began working hard to impress his new team. This working out obviously paid off for Duffy as the Lá Panthers also selected Duffy with their first round pick in the S59 major league draft.

(b) Describe an unexpected event that has happened in your player's life - anything, on ice or off, that surprised your player - and how they handled it.

Raivo Helminen is always looking for ways to earn some extra cash on the side. When Raivo heard about OnlyFans, he wanted to get in on the action. Raivo filmed videos of himself stickhandling and doing seductive moves on skates. The public was not too into the content. Barely anybody subscribed. What made things even worse, Raivo's SMJHL team Nevada heard about the OnlyFans account. The management in Nevada was not pleased to hear that one member of the organization is doing who knows what off the ice. Raivo had to choose, either take the account down or face punishment. Raivo was not about to be intimidated away from potential money earning, so he took the punishment.

What was the punishment? Two weeks' pay was taken away, and Raivo was ordered to volunteer in a local food kitchen. One evening Raivo was serving pancakes as an older gentleman approached Raivo. ''When are you posting some new material?''. Raivo was surprised, could it be one of three subscribers? What are the odds? Raivo replied: ''Tomorrow, maybe, I don't know''.

''Wrong answer!'' yelled the gentleman. It was a prank. It was a test. Raivo failed. Raivo spent the rest of the evening thinking whether he should give up posting content into OnlyFans. Is it worth all the trouble?

When Raivo got home that evening, he logged into his OnlyFans and noticed: two more subscribers. A night full of surprises ends in a realization that maybe things will work out in the end.

[Image: pumw3IV.png]

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

When you're a hockey player, you get to know a lot of Canadians; that's just how it is. A lot of the players are Canadian, a lot of the teams are Canadian, so you're going to spend some time in Canada and you're going to learn a bit about Canadian culture. Before venturing to Canada himself, Alex heard a lot of his Canadian friends and teammates talking about poutine and how good it was. He asked them to tell him what it was and it sounded really good. French fries are delicious. Cheese is delicious. Gravy is delicious. How could poutine be anything other than delicious? So the first time he found himself in Canada he searched Yelp for the place everyone said had the best poutine in town and tried some. To his surprise, it wasn't that good. Fries, it turns out, are best when they're nice and crispy, and when you dump a bunch of cheese and sauce on them they get limp and soggy, and Alex just can't get behind that. One time he went to a Mexican restaurant and they had carne asada fries and it was the same sort of thing. Everyone seemed to love it, but all he tasted was the sadness that comes from eating soggy fries.

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)

Zakkira Diporov was a 6th round draft pick in Season 54 SMJHL Draft by the Detroit Falcons, they gave him a shot! Do not worry about his stats... but he was a long shot! A sixth round pick usually amounts to nothing... “USUALLY” but he is top 20 in TPE in his class! He was drafted in the second round to the THEN Winnipeg Jets, but then he got called up for the Winnipeg Jets and it was the last season as the Jets, he had a good season as a rookie! But these last two seasons he has struggled, he needs to find himself or he is gonna be finding nobody wanting him. His contract is up soon and he is going to be wondering if anyone will want his sorry a**, and Zakkira Diporov will have to go back to his motherland Russia! And live his day out as a farmer again. Let’s hope he can resurrect his career! 

162 words

Drafted 2nd round 21st Pick by the Winnipeg Jets in S55 SHL Entry Draft 
GM of the UCORCAL in the WJC S55
S55 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for UCORCAL
Management Role for Russia in the IIHF
Recent Management Role / Head Coach for Winnipeg Aurora in SHL 
CO-GM St. Louis Scarecrows S57-S60
GM of the St. Louis Scarecrows S61-S72
S72 Challenge Cup Champion
[Image: 6JpC94j.png]
[Image: image0.png]
[Image: IMG_0301.jpg]

There is one story in particular that both Yan Dolff and his family will never forget. It was during one of his intense training days on the mountaintop in Switzerland. This funny looking dog that looked high (otherwise known as a goat) was slowly creeping closer and closer to Yan. Typically these goats ignore Yan during his lifting regiments, but not this one. As it got closer and closer it sped up, but not with the intent to head butt. Instead, the goat simply wanted to be used as a weight, lifted up and down, perhaps thrown around a few times. As others got word of this exercise, they started integrating goats into their training plans as well. Looking back on the event that occurred that day, Yan treasures the fact that he did not immediately feel a threatening presence from the goat and instead embraced it for the high dog that it was.

[Image: dolffs58_gold.png]

Falcons Detroit Falcons: S57 - S59

PBE PT, Username is Sam

[Image: eandrews.png]

I think that the relocation of the West Kendall Platoon from well… West Kendall to Baltimore might have been a bit of a shocker across the league. I mean yes, people were expecting something as it was leaked that management was looking to distance itself from its prior history but I think people were looking at the team possibly renaming itself whilst removing West Kendall and embracing Miami instead, which would have made sense in some way.
I think the most surprising thing of this is that the Platoon remained the Platoon, keeping the same colours, and eagle head in a circle logo, keeping a continuity with the team identitiy established in Season 1.
Lastly, I think the location might have taken a few by surprise, considering that it is not an NHL market, with Washington D.C and Philadelphia all within a short drive from Baltimore. At the end of the day and with the historical significance of the military in the area, Baltimore was the right choice.
(168 words)

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

The S50 playoffs were insane. The underdogs, Tampa Bay Barracuda, stormed to the finals on the shoulders of stars like Benjamin Blue, Gunnar Soderberg, a young Austin Roenick, and an emerging star Flacko Lagerfield. They surprised the whole league with their amazing run through the finals. The Tampa Bay Barracuda were the first seed in the east, like usual, having a fantastic regular season year after year. But, the playoffs were always disappointing for them, so this playoff tear was a break for the norm. The first round against the Toronto North Stars and emerging perennial all-star Harry Carpet, the Tampa Bay Barracuda won the series 4 to 2. Then, in the second round of the playoffs against the Hamilton Steelhawks, the Tampa Bay Barracuda emerged with a 4 to 2 series win again. Lastly, in the cup finals, the Tampa Bay Barracuda faced the Calgary Dragons; and what a series it was. Sadly, the cuda ended up getting reversed swept in sths garbage sim style, and was robbed the cup they so definitely deserved.

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!

Jack Crasher Rule. I'm sure most people have heard of the rule, it goes as follows:

If a Free Agent uses language that reflects signing with a team, and then attempts to later dispute or back out of that signing, they will be punished with a suspension of 3 regular season games. Regardless of suspension the player MUST sign with the team they agreed to sign with.

Seems straight-forward enough, verbal/text agreements are legally binding, you can't back out of something that you have agreed to in principal. It's a nice rule, it keeps GM's safe from nefarious ploys by players or other GM's. But, why is this called the "Jack Crasher Rule"? Who is Jack Crasher, and why does he have a rule to this day named after him?

Well back in Season 7, there was a player by the name of Jack Crasher who played on the Vancouver Nightmare (formerly Ice Wolves) between S4 and S6. In Season 7 he became one of the most coveted free agents on the market. This was only a season after Michael Abdalla shocked the world by heading from the Nightmare into free agency to dominate on the North Stars, so most GM's were hoping Crasher would be Abdalla part 2.

Crasher held a presser, noted that he would announce to the world whom he signed with in 45 minutes. 30 minutes went by and he said he needed a haircut and would be back. Crasher would never come back. Not only would Crasher never return, he had told every single GM in the SHL that he was signing a contract with their team, but if they leaked that he decided as such, he wouldn't honor it. So all GM's kept this situation mum and waited for Crasher to announce he was signing with their team. He never came back and the GM's slowly realized every single one of them (all 8 GM's at the time) had been played. Was incredible scenes. Here is the thread:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....crasher%22

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...t&p=314892

[Image: giphy.gif]

An unexpected event in SHL history would have to be the trading of the best player the SHL has never seen, 3rd round draft pick Gerry Atrick, the most anticipated player for the San Fransisco Pride, to the upcoming greats, the Calgary Dragons.
Everyone had assumed the great two-way player known as Gerry Atrick would be a rising star and a surefire way for the San Fransisco Pride to ensure their shot at greatness, instead they decided to make a blowout trade to Calgary, to the surprise of many.
Gerry Atrick himself hadn't learned of his possible trading until about 30 minutes before the deal was finalized and bing bang boom, he was on his way to the land of cowboys and yeehaws.
Gerry has been to calgary a few times, mostly to be in town for the stampede, as he loves the smell of shit. since it relates most to his playstyle. Joking aside, its a great city and Atrick said he couldn't wait to play there.

The most personally unexpected event in the league since I joined in late 2019 is me becoming the head GM for the New England Wolfpack. Never had any plans to become the head GM, at least not this early on. I was happy to take on a co-GM job, as that's where I first saw myself learning for a few seasons to get a feel for the entire management part of the league.

Just a few days after taking on the job as co-GM a stupid rule forced HOs hand to fire the current head GM at the time. Placing me as the immediate interim GM. I took a few days to think if I wanted to apply for the head job and decided it would be best for the team as I had the most insight regarding the ongoing re-tooling. Or at least among the people willing to also take on the job. It's been quite the ride and not one I had even considered up until that day.

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

To think it was just under 6months ago when Luukas Lilja was still practicing his skating in his local ice-hockey rink back in Nokia, Finland - when he got a phone call. He answered with great hesitation, as it is not a tradition in Finland to answer calls you are not expecting - but Luukas was glad that he did, because it was a scout from Carolina. He had watched few of his games with his old team, Nokian Pyry, and was so damn impressed about this player's ability that he decided to reach out for him to sign with the Carolina Kraken in the SMJHL.

At first, Lilja was very curious about the whole situation so he decided to meet the scout in person at the disabled person's cafe in Nokia. When the situation was as clear as day for him, he said yes to their proposal. Not only did this change Lilja's career path out of the NHL and into the SHL, it did change his short-term plans of moving to his own place in Tampere, to moving to his own place in Carolina.

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]