Create Account

S59 PT #5 - An Unexpected Surprise

I'm sorry to all my friends that played or used to play for Tampa Bay at the time to have to bring this up again, but the S50 Challenge Cup Finals reverse sweep comes to mind. We were down 3-0 in the Challenge Cup Finals and down on our knees begging to not get swept when the most unexpected thing happened. We won 4 games in a row to go on and win the S50 Challenge Cup with the Calgary Dragons.

Our discord was devasted after that game 3 loss and we didn't know where to look. We lost all our hope of winning the finals at that time. Then game 4 happened and we won. At that time we said: "one game at a time, we can grind this out" and we did! Also my player had a very big role in game 7. I scored 2 goals and in the finals minutes of the game hit the post to almost complete the hattrick. But it didn't matter, we got to raise the Challenge Cup after being down 3-0!

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

(b) There hasn't been too many surprises in the career of Cillian Kavanagh so for - which is a good thing I would say. The biggest change, or I guess you could say surprise was Cillian's time with the San Francisco Pride. It was shorter than originally hoped. Kavanagh was drafted 22nd overall in the S52 SHL Entry Draft by the San Francisco Pride. He was so excited to finally belong to an SHL organization even though he wouldn't see his first SHL action until 3 seasons later in S55. "Such a storied franchise I am just glad to be apart of" was Kavanagh's comments to the media after his first SHL start with the Pride. However, the Pride were going through management turmoil with a GM stepping down and struggling to find a replacement. The team would finish last in their division in S55 only winning 16 games out of 50. Cillian looked motivated to help get this organization back on track next season but San Francisco would finish dead last again in the Southwest Division only managing to win 4 of their games. Cillian was frustrated as management decided it would be time for a rebuild. Fortunately the GM was great to Cillian and knew he would be better off with another organization with a better shot for the cup. Cillian made a huge change which came as a surprise to many people and joined the Texas Renegades. This monumental change in Kavanagh's career will hopefully be the biggest surprise and last change Kavanagh will endure.

Word Count: 256

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2021, 10:54 AM by suavemente.)

[Image: gaPRub6.png]
Kalashnikov shocked to find out that player's retirement funds were being used to buy DOGE by Baltimore Platoon accountants. V.K. having to explain to them in detail how he will rearrange their knee anatomy if they dont sell now. 

[Image: 81ImQYu.png][Image: suavemente.gif][Image: QD85cmZ.png]
     Platoon    Timber

Frans Eller is used to reacting fast – his job is literally to stop a puck before it goes over the goal line. Whether or not he’s any good at that is a story for another time, but it’s his profession. One thing caught him dead in his tracks… It was when he got a call from an ex-girlfriend that he was a dad – and his son was 4 years old. Whirlwind! He’s got a kid, and the kid is already 4 years old. That was certainly an unexpected event for the Wolfpack goalie.
Come to find out, the little whippersnapper’s name is Daniel Eller. He’s got a bit of a twitchy, friendly nature, and is a bit big boned for his age. You would have no idea that he is the child of a professional athlete. Frans questioned his ex, but apparently she did have a paternity test taken from her other… partners, and there was no match… leading only to one guy. Eller. Uh oh.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Top Cheddar was hanging out all by his lonesome walking the long windy cracked Anaheim sidewalks one day when he saw a beautifully wrapped piece of foil on the ground in front of him. He stopped, his eyebrow raised, and wondered what this could be! It couldn't be anything great, I mean, it was left on the ground! Who would leave something so valuable on the ground like that! But it was wrapped in very shiny foil, and so Top Cheddar decided to pick up the object and inspect it. Upon unwrapping the silver foil, crinkle by crinkle, Top Cheddar discovered that it was a beautiful, piping hot, delicious burrito! Filled with carnitas and cheese and black beans and cilantro and salsa verde! As he took a bite of the street burrito, a crowd in the distance began to cheer, jeer, and make noise. It turns out that the patrons of a local taco truck noticed Top Cheddar coming and decided to see if he would eat a street burrito! How fun. What a day. Surprise burrito all right

A very unexpected event of things is the S59 second round matchup of Buffalo Stampede vs Atlanta Inferno. 
At first sight you may think why that? #2 vs #12, 3-0 so far and everything according as you think. Wrong. The big favorite on the series was Atlanta Inferno, they started at home into the series with winning the tough Atlantic Division. They came out on top from their very, very close division, and showed the nerves of steel they have. After a first round bye, it was the debut in the playoffs now for them.
On the other hand we have Buffalo, they already had to play in the first round. They also played in a very competitive division, but only came out second of that. Also starting the series away is an indicator that the favorite is the other team. 
This series shows, that the current playoff structure and system is one that provides surprises. Even an underdog like Buffalo can outplay the big favorite Atlanta and bring them to the verge (for now) of losing the series, even getting sweeped is possible. We'll see if Atlanta can bounce back or Buffalo completes the full surprise, a special one, one for the history books.

[Image: CcmpTg8.png][Image: sakro_-_withecheck_-_Inferno.png]

it was surprising to see a second round SMJHL pick become the all time leader in messages sent in an insanely active locker room. Back in the S47 SMJHL draft, I was not really a part of the Anchorage Armada leadership or management or anything like that, but I was invested in the league and following along. So I didn't know who we'd be picking in the draft, and I was eager to welcome in the new rookies. with our second round pick we drafted some guy named Gabriel Johnson and a guy name spursfan33 showed up in the locker room. that young chap wound up growing into the gwdjohnson we all know and love know, and he wound up overtaking assclap, ml, and everyone else with the most messages sent (according to mee6 bot btw) in the anchorage armada discord and he one day even became the general manager of the team and he's already won one cup and soon might be about to win another. what a legend, and a surprising one at that given his draft position. @Gwdjohnson

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

To find the biggest, most surprising event of Delver Fudgeson's life, you have to go way back to when he was a ten year old boy living at a travelling circus. It was a wild, crazy time full of laughs and whimsical adventure as part of a family of acrobats. Every day was big and surprising back then, but the biggest and most surprising event would have to be when the support cables snapped while his parents were doing a death defying stunt. Right before the boy's eyes, the stunt was no longer defying death. It would probably be too much for a young boy to handle on his own, however, a billionaire was in the crowd that night for some reason, and decided to adopt Delver. Having endless money at ones disposal turns out to be a great way to build a professional hockey player, because that's the only thing that went into Delver's life afterwards.

[Image: Flusso.png]
Sig by @Evil_AllBran

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

I have to say that for me the most unexpected event that I have experienced is when Zema (Alexander Oscarsson) was traded from the New England Wolfpack to the San Francisco Pride. Now, the trade to San Francisco Pride is not surprising in the destination for Alexander Oscarsson, but in the reason that he was traded. Zema was the one who recruited me, got captain in Maine Timber and was soon made co-GM of the New England Wolfpack. Now, he is instead a player for Pride. This might not be one of the biggest things to happen for the league, but for me personally, this trade is the biggest thing to have happened. Even if I spent the rookie season "alone", all my other seasons I've shared locker room with Zema, and the first ones with him as one of my GMs as well. The step down and then ending up in him leaving in a trade is to me, the most unexpected event in my small, witnessed, SHL history.

(170 words)

[Image: Halkohol_SHL.gif]

There were multiple events in Ursin Zimmermanns hockey career which were unexpected or special. One was where he earned the award for being the best defensemen in toronto. With such a tough competition in this season he did not expect to win it.
Another unexpected moment was when Ursin was drafted by the Toronto North Stars to his fellow swiss friend Daniel Kuster. Ursin did not expect to get drafted by the Toronto North Stars because he did not have long talks with the gm ML. But after getting drafted by Toronto Ursin really liked the place and now Toronto feels like home to him. Not as much as Switzerland feels to him but like a second home. Another unexpected moment was when Ursin and the Swiss national team won the silver medal at the iihf tournament.
The last strange moment was when Ursin went to shower after a gane and found Juni Panda wrestling with Luffy Richard naked on the shower floor and the rest of the team cheering on them.

[Image: Bananabread.gif] 

Thank you @Carpy48, @honkerrs

I think that my whole career was unexpected. First when I join to SHL I didn't think that I would do written task or media, because I was worried about my language skills. I'm not artist also so I don't do graphic things. At start it was hard to find right places at forum, but luckily this site have so good mentors, that they always helped me to find right places and how to update player correctly. Without that and lovely welcoming from my teammates, my career could be one of sad stories, because I could became IA and vanished completely. Now I'm still here, fighting at playoffs and waiting for my first season at SHL starting upcoming season and it's really really interesting to see what I can do against those great players. I think that was also unexpected that I was drafted almost end of first round, because as we can see now, few teams drafted a lot of poor player than me from that draft.
(168 words)

[Image: sig-500500.png][Image: ALFaRJc.gif]

[Image: lIYTYDN.png][Image: tCcIWQC.png]

[Image: seal1.png]

For me and my player, Lyle Odelein III, the biggest unexpected surprise came on draft day.  I went into the draft pretty darn sure I knew where I was going, I was in the top 5 (if I remember correctly) when it came to TPE and a whole lot of mock drafts had me going to one team.  I had already had some conversations with both of their GMs at the time and one of my SMJHL teammates was one of their scouts and had said he talked me up quite a bit.  They owned a top five pick in the draft so for me, all signs were pointing towards me going to that team.  When the draft happened and this team announced their selection, and Lyle's name wasn't on the post.  I was left wondering where I might end up, I wasn't disappointed at all, I knew I was going to be selected at some point, but I had just figured I already knew where I might go.  The only other team I had talked quite a bit too and had some really strong connections with, wasn't selecting until much later in the round and from my conversations with them, they didn't think I'd be around by then.  The next few picks went by and I still didn't have a team, then right before the 8th pick, a trade notification was posted, the team that didn't think I'd be around for their pick had traded up in the draft to pick my player.  I was blown away and still am.  They took a chance on my player and it is something I won't forget.  Getting drafted by the New Orleans Specters was a huge surprise for me and turned out to be the best thing that could of happened!

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

I think the season 54 Playoffs were a very unexpected surprise, Unsurprisingly the Hamilton Steelhawks made the finals by beating the Manhattan Rage in the first round in a 4 game sweep, then going head to head against the regular season league leaders the Buffalo Stampede and defeating them in a grueling 7 game series to head to the Finals against a surprising New Orleans Specters team. Many were expecting the Hamilton Steelhakws to beat the Specters in a fairly easy series. But New Orleans made a bang by beating the Steelhawks 4 goals to 3 in the first game. Second game was even bigger for the Specters, taking out the Steelhawks 3-1. And then came game 3, New Orleans absolutely crushed the Steelhawks in a 7-3 massacre, taking a dominant 3-0 lead in the finals series. Game 4 was a more intense fight, with the regulation time ending in a tie, we went on to overtime. Many thought this is where the Specters are gonna lose it and start a downfall. But then it happened, New Orleans scored and had succesfully swept the Steelhawks in the s54 Finals. To the joy of man and to the bitterness of the Hamilton team.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

I think the biggest surprise to me was the opportunity to become the Team Norway Fed Head. At the time i had only been in the league maybe 3 or 4 seasons and at the time the plan was for me to just become the Co-GM for a few seasons after the current head stepped down and the Co took over. But then life happened and the person who was lined up to become the Fed head had to back out and the position kind of fell into my lap. So like i said its not the fact that i got the position was surprising, as i had the recommendation like the past 3 Fed heads, but that the opportunity came out of nowhere. And since then i have learned alot about the league and GMing, the job helped me get the Co-GM position in Texas a few seasons later, and i have enjoyed seeing our small nation grow. :norwaycellyotter:

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights

An unexpected surprise for Daniel Smeb was in the early S50's when he was first informed by his coaches and others around the league that he had been playing the game the wrong way the whole time his whole career along with many people around the league by trying to pass the puck, so he adjusted his game towards shooting. After that however an even bigger surprise occurred as he learned the SHL was switching many things about how the game was played, almost as if it was a whole new system with everything different about how hockey was played. This was a big surprise for Daniel Smeb and i'm sure many people around the league whether they played in or watched the SHL changing how it worked after so many years of the same thing. So Daniel Smeb and the rest of the SHL prepared for the first season of the new league, but after that had to change again.

[Image: Kylrad2.gif]
[Image: Kylrad.gif]