Create Account

Calgary Dragons Hall of Fame - The Chosen Dragon
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2021, 03:21 PM by KenitohMenara.)

[Image: UYrhD8Y.jpg]

Otis B Driftwood - The Chosen Dragon

Career Regular Season Stats: GP: 948 | G: 93 | G: 410 | P: 503

Scott Stevens Trophy Nominee (S47, S48)
Anton Razor Trophy Nominee (S47)

The 40th Anniversay of the SHL’s founding was a hugely important for the dragons. As a bedrock franchise they were part of the celebrations as the league welcomed a new decade. But in the Dragons den, they were looking for the next face of the franchise and then GM Esa Anrikkanen would make it clear he wanted one man and one man only. Otis B Driftwood, a player who would later be christened the Chosen Dragon after being sought after by the GOAT. The career he would have with the Dragons would make this selection well worth it.

There are so many angles that I can take this entry. Driftwood is arguably one of the most treasured players that the Calgary franchise has ever had. I could talk about his two cup runs with the dragons, one of which almost won him playoff MVP. I could talk about his amazing assist numbers, how he was a mentor to younger players, how he changes the lives of so many people but… all of that wouldn’t do him justice.

The way that guys like GM Mike Izzy and Esa Anrikkanen talk about Otis is akin to reverence. There are many that argue that he should have a statue outside the big parm for all the contributions he made. Heck, it was Otis himself that christened Calgary’s new stadium “The Big Parm” after he, Mike and Esa went out to dinner one night and they were eating Parm when they looked over the new stadium. The fact that the name stuck should be more than enough to recognise his legacy.

A scholar, a gentleman, a king amongst men, it is my eternal pleasure to welcome Otis Driftwood, The Chosen Dragon, to the Calgary Ring of Eternal Dragons.

Thank you for all you have done for Calgary Otis.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2021, 04:58 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

Dragons  Dragons  Dragons  Dragons  Dragons

Thank you ASM! Your a perfect fit as Calgarys new historical writer.

————-

Dragonite

This is a day I am thrilled to be apart of! As Calgary honours elite SHL defender Otis B. Driftwood.. one of the great defenders of his generation and one of the great dragons of all time!

Otis B. Driftwood was an all world talent out of St. Louis who we drafted with the 2nd overall pick in the S40 draft. A pick esa traded up for knowing it would take a top 3 to acquire slappy after his long successful career with his first player Slappy McDoodle. for GM Esa there wasn’t any other option!.. he was bringing in his friend to become the next face of the franchise.

Under Coach Kortesi, Driftwood played a couple of seasons in the J and then moved up to the Dragons where the 6’3 245 pound defender out of queens enjoyed an Illustrious 19 season career playing in 948 games.. posting 410 assists, 503 points, 2,271 hits, 1226 Blocks and a +228 on the ice!  Driftwood won 2 challenge cup championships.. 1 as a rookie in S42 and the other in S50 as the leader of the Calgary Blue line and the primary compliment to Mike Izzy in that historical SHL reverse sweep of the Challenge Cup Finals!  Otis became Captain of the Dragons in S51 and stayed on as the face of the franchise for 4 seasons…

For a generation of SHL players, Otis B Driftwood was one of the gold standards of the Blue line.

Off the ice Slappy played an important and intricate role for the team with his activity on the boards and his popular podcast ‘The Big Slappy Hour’ He alongside @Bonk posted 182 episodes.. the longest running show in SHL history!.. the BSH was the sites flagship audio through the 30’s and 40’s…and very representative of the Calgary persona At the time. as a rookie in S35 one of my first ‘Ooo wow’ moments on the site was listening to the BSH and hearing my name as part of a draft preview!.. and I have never missed an episode since.

[Image: image0.jpg]

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....e+big+parm

Slappydoodle was also the inventor of Calgarys historic home field ‘The Big-Parm!  He created the name and idea in a point task and then worked along side Esa Anrikkanen and Mike Izzy for weeks (over many #delicious Parm dinners)… helping to build the most notable home field advantage in the SHL! 

Otis B Driftwood was a throw back player in an old school era.. he bled Calgary, he loved this website… he loved his team mates, the team loved him!.. he fought for his guys on and off the ice and he gave it his all from beginning to end. Slappy, The franchise will never forget your time as a Calgary Dragon. You were one of the best. Welcome to the Dragons Hall of Fame.

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CalgaryDragons1/stat...0794204163

Dragons  Heart  Dragons

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2021, 03:29 PM by Steelhead77.)

Dragons BIG PARM Congrats on a well deserved Dragons Hall of Fame Induction!! Dragons

Otis B Driftwood exceeded all expectations of a 2nd overall pick, becoming the all-time leading defenseman in Dragons scoring, hits and maybe more importantly 'opposing players wives slept with.' He was the cornerstone piece of the Dragons blue line for well over a decade and one of the greatest defenseman in league history, especially on the defensive side of things. He was also a phenomenal dragons captain and a tremendous leader. He would be your best friend when needed, he'd always have your back and he'd die fighting for the team and what he believed in. What more could you ask for from a player and team member! Without question one of the most enjoyable members I've ever had the honor to call a teammate, he was loved by all. A great friend in real life, being able to enjoy the league alongside Slappy/Otis through two of my players was something truly special. Drafting Otis B Driftwood was one of the best decisions I ever made for the Dragons organization. He leaves a lasting legacy and is a true Dragons legend. <3

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Way to go Slappy! Great career!

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

Congrats Slaps!

You’re an amazing guy and your player was a beast on the ice. I was very fortunate to have been able to call myself a teammate of yours. Our S50 cup run was one well never forget and cherish forever.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Hell yeah Slappy! Way to get in there bud. \_ \_ \_

I don't think there's a more iconic or infamous Dragon in recent history, Slappy has been a dragon through and through. This inclusion to the Dragons Hall of Fame is truly fantastic

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Congrats

Drafted 59th Overall in SMJHL S58 draft by Anchorage Armada
Drafted 9th in SMJHL S60 expansion draft by Great Falls Grizzlies
Drafted 36th Overall in SHL S59 draft by Calgary Dragons

[Image: lux2.png]

Congrats on the hall legend!

[Image: Off.gif]

Congrats!!!!

Absolute legend right here. SHL and Dragons.

[Image: 9d3oxij.png]// [Image: 8xyKeyf.png] [Image: SHLEmoteDragons.png]
[Image: RNCgTPl.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]
[Image: RIXCbNI.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]

Congrats my man!!! Always loved having you around… brother-in-law… Sarah says hi.

[Image: Wally.png]

If there was anyone who I'd want to generate more podcast content than I did, it was Slappy [and Bonk]. Congrats on an outstanding career, a great player name [my family loves A Night at the Opera], and simply being a solid all-around dude.

Congratulations, Mr. Driftwood!

Well deserved.

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

Very well deserved!! Congratulations!

[Image: 53381_s.gif]

[Image: 49370_s.gif]

[Image: uKp7Piy.png]

Code:
1. Team Canada , Benjamin Wong 1 (Jay McDonald) at 8:49
first ever Canadian Olympic goal

Wow, even a Bonk sighting. Now I am truly impressed.

In all seriousness, thank you guys so much. I am deeply moved and honored by this. The Calgary Dragons have been a special team to me. It’s really been a virtual home away from home. Even now, with my SHL days behind me, I make sure to spend time in the Dragons discord. What a phenomenal group of people. I love you all .

Otis, as my second player on the site, was a real labor of love. I knew exactly what I wanted out of him and had a pretty solid idea of how to get there. I knew the kind of work and dedication it would require and knew I was up to the task. With the support of the Dragons organization I was able to achieve all the personal and team goals I desired with the player.

The list of Dragons teammates past and present is too long to begin to try and get into. Suffice it to say you are all special to me and I would gladly march into battle on or off the ice with any of you any day.

Two special shoutouts. Mr Mike Izzy, you are a true mensch . What a special human being you are. It is rare to meet someone with such enthusiasm and dare I say ZEST for life. You breathed new life into the Dragons and rekindled my SHL fires. Winning the second cup with you was so special and I will always be grateful for it.

Esa, words cannot adequately convey what you have meant to me, the SHL and the Dragons. Not drafting my first player motivated me to make him great out of spite. Drafting my second player motivated me to make him great out of guilt and obligation. Either way, you pushed me to be great and I thank you for it.

Thank you to the Dragons for this honor.

Dragonite

Cheers

[Image: marx-glasses.gif]

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]