Create Account

S62 PT #3- Hold this L

WSBL Affiliate PT

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]

Prompt 2
Honestly I've not been in this league long enough to experience any particularly bad losses. In fact most of my losses I've had were pretty fun. In my first season I was with Vancouver and we were supposed to be a bad team, but managed to take some games off the best team in the juniors that season and it was hilarious fun and plenty hype. My next season I was on a Anaheim team that got blown up half way through it with all the players getting moved and traded and I ended up on a Nevada team that was supposed to be bad. Really I've yet to be on a team that was supposed to win or supposed to be really good, so I've yet to have a defining "L" as this prompt put it. Everything has gone exactly according to plan and so this prompt was made a little difficult for me to complete as a whole.

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/819596167843151906/843586092388057098/De_pengu_logo_2.png[/img]

Prompt 1:
No one likes losing, especially to old people. The future is now, but apparently it wasn't when it came to this game. Perhaps the youngins got to cocky the night before by drinking their livers into submission, while the olds were wise and went to bed at 6:30PM their full 10 hours of sleep. Meanwhile, half our team showed up still buzzed from the night before. To be honest, we looked good in that first period, but you could tell during that first intermission that the hangovers were starting to kick in. If I had to do something different, it wouldn't be not go out and party the night before. Instead, I would do one of two things. Either party even harder to the hangover doesn't start until after the game, or have some rally beers pregame and during each intermission. I play just as good drunk (maybe even better) as being sober. But hungover hockey is the worst.

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]

The biggest L I have taken during Mats Marner’s career has been the season sixty challenges cup finals where the Chicago Syndicate were up three games to one against the Buffalo Stampede only needing one more win to become the Challenge Cup champions. Somehow as a team we let this series slip away from us with multiple goal game losses and the one that hurt the most was the overtime defeat in game six where it seemed like we had the game in the bag but somehow lost. It was the first season Marner joined the Syndicate along with his brother Poroshenko and defense Jukka. The team as a whole was peaking in terms of their skill level and development so it was extra heart breaking in that sense. Without jinxing things so far it seems like the Syndicate have recovered in season sixty two as they have come out strong during the regular season establishing themselves as the top team in the western conference

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

I have held so many Ls in my time on this site, and honestly I will continue to do so I'm sure. Just look at my drafting record, having taken Oliver Kovacs second overall in S43 is definitely a big, fat L that has helped inform my decision-making. Though, I do still have situations where I fall back into that kind of situation again.

Probably the biggest in sim loss that I've felt was in S17. You would think that my only time losing in the Challenge Cup Final would really hit the hardest, but that wasn't that big of a deal. What hurt me was that in S15 I had a huge season as a goaltender, arguably one of the best ever, and because of that they changed the update scale and weakened goaltenders. But that didn't hinder me, and in S16 I won a Cup for the second time in a row. S17 we came in with the best team we had possibly ever had in Edmonton and ... were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by an inactive back-up goaltender getting insanely hot and getting some unlucky bad bounces.

At least I cursed Los Angeles when they beat us then and they haven't won another Cup since. Same goes for Seattle in S18. Let that be a lesson, I can curse people.

Oh I also hold a lot of Ls every day as copypastas come out constantly and I am always mocked, but hey, that's life. Sometimes you get made fun of relentlessly, and nobody really cares because you aren't one of the favorites. Oh well.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Prompt 1

Well, that sucked. After starting to get into sync with this team the first few games, the game against the Hall of Famers undid all that good work. Harry Carpet got chased 3 minutes into the 2nd period, and the HOFers led the entire way. The Grizzled Vets are no strangers to hard, physical hockey—outside of Gibbles, Seger, Carpet, and Zheng, every other player has experienced deep playoff runs and Challenge Cup wins. Still, the referees swallowed their whistles as Tor Tuck, Mike Izzy, and Ben Dover took copious cheap shots on the veteran squad. This gave players like Jason Visser ample extra space to dangle his way to 4 goals (2 in the first period). The shutdown pairing of Alonso Garbanzo and Bojo Biscuit completely erased the powerful top Steelhawks unit that embarrassed the up-and-comers in Game 1; Aaron Wilson finished the game playing 18:43 with a -3, 1 hit, and 2 shots on goal.

After Dover tripped Martijn Westbroek and slashed the back of his neck with his stick, Corey Kennedy stepped in to defend his longtime teammate and friend, leveling the old Steelhawk. Dover received no penalty, while Kennedy was given a game misconduct. The passionate defender blew his top, shouting and spitting in the face of totally-not-biased referee Hallsy. The grizzled vets put together some of their best pressure offense on the resulting penalty kill, including their sole goal of the night; Brennan Kennedy Jr picked Joe Kurczewski’s pocket, and slid a pass to mid ice. Barry Batsbak collected it on the change, dangling for a few seconds before hitting Andreas Kvalheim with a drop pass. Kvalheim barreled down the ice, made a pretty dangle past Garbanzo before hitting Michael McFadden 5 hole.

Even then, the final score of 7-1 burns. During a post-game meeting, the team committed to never have another game like this. The group of veterans--representing the last 14 Challenge Cup Champions—grit their teeth and got ready for the next game.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Honestly, on the Simulation Hockey League website, I don't think that I've ever taken too hard of an L besides my entire career on the site so far. So really, pretty much all of it. I first created a winger named Halfwit Nordstrom, who I earned all of about ten TPE on and went inactive as I had tried to get into too much at once between ISFL, PBE, and SHL. Nordstrom was kill at the deadline in S54, making me a S55 'recreate' named James Kimanje, who I still am in control of to this day. I have won a single award in my lifetime with Kimanje, and that was the most underrated player award with the Nevada Battleborn back in S56, when I put my head down and busted my ass and just earned for the team and they pushed for me to get recognized for that. I greatly appreciated it at the time and still do. But other than that, my players have been absolute dogwater. I haven't finished a season above 0 +/-, and maybe not even above -10. But it is what it is, I'll keep my head down and keep busting my ass for the forge. It's the least I can do.

(207)

[Image: laser.png]

[Image: Virrok.png]
Thanks to EAB and sulovien for the sigs!

WSBL affiliate PT

[Image: zootshl.gif]
Sig credits: OrbitingDeath & enigmatic

[Image: jO2Di2N.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png]

Timber Scarecrows pride Aurora France

Prompt 2

Team losses/standings, and player statistics never really bother me much if they aren't super fantastic, so I can't say I've encountered too much of a big L from that perspective. One of the most demoralizing Ls of my career was my player getting traded 1:1 for Evangelos Giannopoulos only 2 days after getting drafted 10oa, but it ended up being an even bigger L for the Steelhawks because I'm sitting at 1607 TPE and JSS is sitting at 1249 and basically IA at this point.. not that it's impacted them at all really but it makes me feel better about the whole experience.

Another big L for me was not learning from that experience and adding a NTC to my contract with Toronto, who traded me to Winnipeg the same week as they extended me. From there I spent nearly a year on a team that almost made me lose interest in the league (just kind of a dead LR).. but I came out a big winner from that as I'm now on a team I really enjoy. So it all worked out hunky dory in the end.

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid, swoosh and eni for sigs! <3

I'm sure we all know how great I am. I've done everything in this league that there is to do. Taking Ls in the SHL isn't for me. However, there is something that follows me around every player I make and I've caught my fair share of Ls in this department. For me, my shame, my L, is that I've never won a 4 Star Cup. I've had 4 players who had playing time in the SMJHL and none of them have captured that elusive Championship trophy.

There were 2 huge opportunities that we complete and utter misses. The first one came in Season 8 when Lance Uppercut was playing for the Detroit Falcons. We destroyed the season, going 33-5-2. Easily the best team, the best roster, everything. We make it to the 4 Star Cup and lo and behold, STHS rears its ugly head and we lose in the Finals to Prince George. The worst part? I get called up to the SHL for Season 9 and who wins the 4 Star that season? Yep, the Falcons.

The next two chances both came in Halifax on back to back seasons. Season 36, we have a great record, make it to the finals, but lose once again, to the Whalers. The next season, season 37, we're even better, improving from 60 points to 72 points. Domination in the season, but naturally, playoffs don't care how good you are, we lose in the Conference Finals.

4 players, 7 SMJHL seasons, 2 Finals, no 4 Star Cups in my 62 seasons in this league. Take this L, Leafs.

(266 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
5-3-2
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 1] [Pts 1] [+/- +3] [PIM 4] [Hits 7] [SB 33]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Oh baby, a prompt I have given birth to. What a moment. I'd say my biggest L was in season 55 when my Kelowna Knights looked like a surefire finalist in juniors, team was cracked, won a ton of games and scored a ton of goals. Looked like it was going to be Newfoundland vs Kelowna for a finals rematch. The only thing in the way? The Maine Timber, my hometown team. I remember I was so excited to play them beacause I was going to beat my hometown team that didn't draft me on my way to a cup finals win. Things did not go that way. I had an awful series, and we ended up losing in 7 games to Maine, who were a big time under dog. That really stunk. I was talking a lot of shit in our locker room too because i was so hype to beat them. It kind of wore off the next season when I won with vancover, but that was one fat stinky L to take.

[Image: rotti.gif]

Prompt 1
The Superstars heading into the game against the Hall-of-Famers, both teams have had perfect records in the tournament so far. Both teams had their perfect records on the line, but seeing that the Hall-of-Famers team was comprised of retired players, the Superstar team began to slack a little bit, believing they were the top-dogs of the tournament. Oh boy were they wrong... The Hall-of-Famers came out strong with their players and their goaltender Benjamin Blue didn't seem too far removed from his prime years in the SHL. Due to their belief that the game would be easy, Sato's teammates didn't have the right conditioning and mindset before it was too late. The Hall-of-Famers ended up winning the game 5-3 after scoring the first 4 early in the game, an absolutely disappointing performance for the Superstars.

Heading back to the locker room, the coach was furious at the team for doubting the opponent. The veteran leadership on the team in Adam Barron tried to talk up the team to keep their spirits high for the coming games, but at the time the rest of the players weren't feeling it. The youngins on the team in Dwight Knight and Ryosuke Sato both had their heads low as they thought they could have put in more of an effort and the -3 on the night for both of them definitely didn't sit too well. However, eventually the team snapped out of it and they went to go grab a quiet team dinner before calling it a night.

This loss was a reminder that every game matters and they can't let their foot off the gas pedal. In the coming days, the team held extra practices and players seeked more one-on-one coaching to make sure such a loss wouldn't happen as easily, if at all.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

For my most painful L, we are looking at a playoff series, rather than a single game. And we’re going alllllll the way back to S57 (yes, I know that’s not that far away, humour me). 
It was my rookie season in the J. I’d been a late starter, coming across the site post-draft. I joined a St Louis team that was low on form, but high on LR personality. I’m not going to lie, it was a rough season. It very much set the tone for my time with the Scarecrows, tough regular seasons, followed by a team coming to life in the playoffs!
S57 was tough, as we had a lot of rookies. 2nd to last in the whole league, we were thankful for everybody making the playoffs! We were handed a tough first round draw v Kelowna. What followed was an amazing series. Kelowna came out of the blocks with a big win, but the ‘Crows split the Knights’ home back to back. We also split our own home back to back, so it was nicely poised, 2-2 after Game 4. A big shoutout win for Kelowna put them on the cusp of the second round, but a scraped Game 6 and a stunning Game 7 performance, saw us go through in the surprise of the round!
Aaaaand this is where reality, and the L, hits. We came up against the night of the Anchorage Armada. After the close 1st round, we were swept by the boats, including adding insult to injury with a Game 4 shutout. After the absolute elation following Game 7, being swept hurt like hell. But it just made us more determined.

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

For #2:

Having been on the Calgary's side for almost 3 seasons now there has not been any downsight to this journey, every single season we have started out rough but eventually recovered from that deficit and turned it into a massive victory, but something that bums me is my time in the Carolina Kraken. In my first season we managed to clinch playoffs, and make it all the way to the final, but eventually lost to the Vancouver Whalers in the finals. That pissed me off very much and that loss actually set a trend on my SMJHL journey. For the following seasons, 3 altogether, Carolina did not qualify for playoffs a single time, which was very sad to see it happen in general because our squad was stacked every single of those 3 seasons, I think I just laid a curse upon the team after having my junior seasons there, because Carolina is still struggling to reach playoffs, and especially to get past first round

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

PROMPT 2
I've been quite lucky in that both times I've made it to the finals of the Challenge Cup, I've been able to come away with a championship ring. However the one loss that stings when I think back on it is the loss the Texas Renegades had against the Edmonton Blizzard back in the S45 Western Conference finals. The Blizzard were the best team in the league in terms of roster strength at that point, but Texas had a great run up to that stage and were confident that we could win the series and make it all the way to the cup final. We had a tough start and went down to a 3-1 deficit, but the team showed its grit and fought back to tie the series and force a Game 7. Unfortunately we lost the Game 7 and that was it. It hurt the team's morale a lot and I think it could have changed the teams fortunes in a big way if there wasn't a need to rebuild morale and try and fight back so that's definitely one of the Ls that sticks in my memory.

Code:
190 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]