Create Account

The true "Parity Issue" in the league
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2021, 02:45 AM by SlashACM.)

My biggest gripe with the league in its current form is with player building.

I've done a lot of looking at player builds on the teams that perform well and see a pattern in checking, puckhandling, and strength. These seem to go in line with the idea that puckhandling will help you not lose the puck, checking will help you get it back if you do lose it, and strength kind of helps in both of these areas. I'm probably missing some other important ones but these stand out to me.

Now, would it be possible to build a successful team strategy around high speed and shooting accuracy, with subpar defense and strength? Maybe, but the truth is, I have no idea. All I've really seen in SHL since the mid s50s are teams developing tactics around high hitting, low tempo, high attacking, low aggression. Why even risk building your team towards something else and wasting tons of time and tpe when this tactic gets results?

So, this being said, I'm lucky that I wanted to build a grinder with this build. That I'm fine sinking tpe into checking and strength because that's kind of what I wanted already. But what if I wanted to be a speedy sniper, scoring off the rush? From what I've seen with my new player in the last 3 seasons or so, there's pretty much no point in upping speed, accel, shooting past a certain range, and much more fruitful to crank checking, strength, puckhandling, etc. Even with teams running 3 danglers throughout the lineup, they still have incredibly high checking which almost conflicts with the point of that role in my eyes. But I'm not sure how roles affect playstyle and how attributes play into that as well so I don't know what to make of it.

Basically, you can build the way you want to be, and probably lose and/or suck. OR build the way everyone is building, and probably lose/suck anyway.

It's not fun to build anymore, or to earn tpe really. Its like a grind with no payoff in sight. I never thought I'd miss Simon T but here I am

If anyone is unsure as to what the current build meta is, this 200 tpe player on Buffalo fits the bill perfectly

Offensive Ratings
Screening: 5
Getting Open: 11
Passing: 11
Puckhandling: 14
Shooting Accuracy: 9
Shooting Range: 9
Offensive Read: 11

Defensive Ratings
Checking: 14
Hitting: 11
Positioning: 10
Stickchecking: 14
Shot Blocking: 10
Faceoffs: 5
Defensive Read: 14

Physical Ratings
Acceleration: 13
Agility: 10
Balance: 15
Speed: 9
Stamina: 13
Strength: 14
Fighting: 5

Mental Ratings
Aggression: 5
Bravery: 9

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

I very rarely come to the discussion area because well I don't really have much to say. But reading through this thread it pretty well sums up how I've been feeling lately about the league.

When I joined, I was in love with this place. I'm a pretty shy guy so I was worried about meeting new people but once I got to Buffalo and Colorado which were my 1st 2 teams I was greeted very well, treated very well and it set the bar for me going forward on what I could expect. God love em, Winnipeg and Edmonton, the other 2 teams I played for with my first create they gave it their best shot but never came close to how tight knit things feel like in Buffalo.

I first started to notice things were amiss about the time I got traded to Winnipeg. My player went from a 3rd paring guy to a 2nd pairing guy on his way up and then we switched to FHM and my player cratered. Teams teams like Buffalo and Hamilton who were already strong seemed like they got stronger overnight and teams like Winnipeg and Edmonton who had active players who maybe didn't play FHM as much immediately middled out.

So I thought OK, maybe its me, when I recreate I will try to be the sniper that I always wanted to be. So when I created my 2nd guy I sought build help from people on my junior team, which I didn't do with my first create, to make me into a sniper. That worked, for a little while. I did very well in juniors and then once I got to the senior leagues again I found myself again molding into a player choice I didn't want in order to just be able to play.

Now here I am middling around again on the fringes and I have to tell you I absolutely hate it. I hate coming here anymore. It's the same thing every week. Get TPE to mold myself into a player that I don't want to be in order to look attractive to my team in order to get ice time or to other teams trying to build a competitive team against teams that are playing on god mode.

So that unfortunately leaves me with a couple of options. I've tried very hard to move up in this league either in the offices or as a WJC/IIHF GM or somewhere and have gotten nowhere. It's not for want of trying just I guess I don't have the pull or the connections that some folks do. I thought it was pretty ironic that the recent call for juniors Home Office folks was relatively ignored it was relatively ignored until a plea was put out and then people who have done the job before or were already senior in the league were picked which It's pretty well proved the point that senior folks would always be picked over junior folks.

I could keep coming here everyday and doing TPE stuff and checking the index and trying to figure out how I could be better but I've been doing that for the last almost year now and I still can't figure it out.

Or I could leave which I don't want to do but things here never seem like they change. Or they do but they change for the worse and not the better. I honestly don't see that anything is gonna come from this discussion other than it's a good place to lay cards on the table.

We're never going to go back to Simon T, But things are going to get worse and worse and worse with FHM and with so much invested in it I understand that reverting or going elsewhere would be a significant loss of investment for a lot of folks. But something's gonna have to be done because today I found that I'm not the only person feeling like this and I'm just an insignificant nobody; and the more the fringe folks start feeling this way and deciding the league is not worth their time anymore then you guys are gonna have one hell of a problem.

11-19-2021, 10:00 AMVandy Wrote: I very rarely come to the discussion area because well I don't really have much to say. But reading through this thread it pretty well sums up how I've been feeling lately about the league.

When I joined, I was in love with this place. I'm a pretty shy guy so I was worried about meeting new people but once I got to Buffalo and Colorado which were my 1st 2 teams I was greeted very well, treated very well and it set the bar for me going forward on what I could expect.  God love em, Winnipeg and Edmonton, the other 2 teams I played for with my first create they gave it their best shot but never came close to how tight knit things feel like in Buffalo.

I first started to notice things were amiss about the time I got traded to Winnipeg. My player went from a 3rd paring guy to a 2nd pairing guy on his way up and then we switched to FHM and my player cratered. Teams teams like Buffalo and Hamilton who were already strong seemed like they got stronger overnight and teams like Winnipeg and Edmonton who had active players who maybe didn't play FHM as much immediately middled out.

So I thought OK, maybe its me, when I recreate I will try to be the sniper that I always wanted to be. So when I created my 2nd guy I sought build help from people on my junior team, which I didn't do with my first create, to make me into a sniper. That worked, for a little while. I did very well in juniors and then once I got to the senior leagues again I found myself again molding into a player choice I didn't want in order to just be able to play.

Now here I am middling around again on the fringes and I have to tell you I absolutely hate it. I hate coming here anymore. It's the same thing every week. Get TPE to mold myself into a player that I don't want to be in order to look attractive to my team in order to get ice time or to other teams trying to build a competitive team against teams that are playing on god mode.

So that unfortunately leaves me with a couple of options. I've tried very hard to move up in this league either in the offices or as a WJC/IIHF GM or somewhere and have gotten nowhere.  It's not for want of trying just I guess I don't have the pull or the connections that some folks do. I thought it was pretty ironic that the recent call for juniors Home Office folks was relatively ignored it was relatively ignored until a plea was put out and then people who have done the job before or were already senior in the league were picked which It's pretty well proved the point that senior folks would always be picked over junior folks.

I could keep coming here everyday and doing TPE stuff and checking the index and trying to figure out how I could be better but I've been doing that for the last almost year now and I still can't figure it out.

Or I could leave which I don't want to do but things here never seem like they change. Or they do but they change for the worse and not the better. I honestly don't see that anything is gonna come from this discussion other than it's a good place to lay cards on the table.

We're never going to go back to Simon T, But things are going to get worse and worse and worse with FHM  and with so much invested in it I understand that reverting or going elsewhere would be a significant loss of investment for a lot of folks. But something's gonna have to be done because today I found that I'm not the only person feeling like this and I'm just an insignificant nobody; and the more the fringe folks start feeling this way and deciding the league is not worth their time anymore then you guys are gonna have one hell of a problem.
I don't agree with a lot of this, but I agree with the point. We need to fix this parity issue or the league is going to contract.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

Want crazy ass parity... Crush the salary cap down and make tactics auto'd by AI coaches

[Image: livius.gif]

11-19-2021, 10:00 AMVandy Wrote: So that unfortunately leaves me with a couple of options. I've tried very hard to move up in this league either in the offices or as a WJC/IIHF GM or somewhere and have gotten nowhere.  It's not for want of trying just I guess I don't have the pull or the connections that some folks do. I thought it was pretty ironic that the recent call for juniors Home Office folks was relatively ignored it was relatively ignored until a plea was put out and then people who have done the job before or were already senior in the league were picked which It's pretty well proved the point that senior folks would always be picked over junior folks.
I get your points but I was picked for J HO and this is my 2nd season. Yeah 2 vets got picked but they're fantastic users. And some other first time creates were also highly considered and most certainly would have made it in most other app windows

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

11-19-2021, 10:00 AMVandy Wrote: So that unfortunately leaves me with a couple of options. I've tried very hard to move up in this league either in the offices or as a WJC/IIHF GM or somewhere and have gotten nowhere.  It's not for want of trying just I guess I don't have the pull or the connections that some folks do. I thought it was pretty ironic that the recent call for juniors Home Office folks was relatively ignored it was relatively ignored until a plea was put out and then people who have done the job before or were already senior in the league were picked which It's pretty well proved the point that senior folks would always be picked over junior folks.

I wanna pick this out specifically, while I do agree with some of what you're saying, this in particular is a bit strange. I won't speak for WJC or IIHF, but unless myself or someone else missed it, I don't believe you applied for J HO this past cycle? In addition, to give some numbers, about 70% of our applicants to J HO held some sort of SHL or SMJHL HO position and about 60% had some sort of GM position. It actually would've been numerically impossible to choose three members without any sort of "pull or connection". I don't really think you have the fully story here, as we did in fact select a more junior member than one of the most respected and senior members here. It was an incredibly difficult decision but this is such a lose-lose situation for us as HO. Either we pick people who are experienced to bring a tempered view to HO and get blamed for picking seniority since people can't get that experience, or we pick newer members and get flak because people who have legitimate experience in what works and what doesn't don't matter anymore.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Just want to make a quick response about GMing..

It’s a hard job, but it’s thrilling.. your in charge of a community of people and you get to decide everything.. the X and O’s…the look shape and feel of the franchise, the hardest of decisions… it’s all on you with no net to catch you..

If your someone that has GM interest.. if your up for the task, it can be an amazing journey.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

why would you wanna be a gm when you will never be able to match buffalo or hamilton’s test simming output and the culture as a whole is toxic and bad for anyone’s health

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

11-21-2021, 05:52 PMtrella Wrote: why would you wanna be a gm when you will never be able to match buffalo or hamilton’s test simming output and the culture as a whole is toxic and bad for anyone’s health
tell me more about our test simming output LOL

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

11-21-2021, 05:58 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
11-21-2021, 05:52 PMtrella Wrote: why would you wanna be a gm when you will never be able to match buffalo or hamilton’s test simming output and the culture as a whole is toxic and bad for anyone’s health
tell me more about our test simming output LOL
not even talking shit? whats ur deal. just saying you guys test sim more than most teams will be able to lmfao

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

11-21-2021, 07:12 PMtrella Wrote:
11-21-2021, 05:58 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: tell me more about our test simming output LOL
not even talking shit? whats ur deal. just saying you guys test sim more than most teams will be able to lmfao
Yeah but that isn’t actually the case. You don’t know what you’re talking about Laughing

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

11-21-2021, 07:18 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
11-21-2021, 07:12 PMtrella Wrote: not even talking shit? whats ur deal. just saying you guys test sim more than most teams will be able to lmfao
Yeah but that isn’t actually the case. You don’t know what you’re talking about  Laughing

you dont know wh

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

I always hear parity this, parity that. I understand the want and need for an equalizing league where every team has a chance. This lead me to dig deeper into the stats and what I found would absolutely shock all of you. What I did was I started with the worst teams in the league 8 seasons ago, I compiled their win loss record. Then I would do the same for the middle tier of teams and the highest tier of teams. This was painstaking work and I think you should all appreciate exactly what I had to do to gather all of this data. Anyways I added up all the wins and all the losses from all the teams and the sum came out to a perfect .500 record! Parity? We've already achieved it!

Here's a novel idea. Instead of giving to damn file to every Tom Dick and Harry why not only let the simmers have it like we did when I first joined the league. We are supposed to be simulating hockey, not running enough reps on a computer program to try and come up with an ultimate output. Where's the hockey? It has become secondary. Back then the preseason was just not a worthless exercise, gms tried different strats to get one for the season. Where is the sense of how hockey works in all this, instead of just plugging endless numbers into a computer? In hockey which we're supposed to be simulating you don't get to play your opponent 1000 times to see what combos work best. How about we get back to the sport we all love instead of trying to game a computer program.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

11-21-2021, 07:18 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
11-21-2021, 07:12 PMtrella Wrote: not even talking shit? whats ur deal. just saying you guys test sim more than most teams will be able to lmfao
Yeah but that isn’t actually the case. You don’t know what you’re talking about  Laughing

you mean this whole time ive been copying non-simmed strats????

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]