Create Account

Updated: Changes to Regression

12-02-2021, 03:59 PMTommySalami Wrote: I'm sad to hear that you're likely a one and done player but we can't make decisions based on a minority of people. I don't know many who sign up with the intention of only creating once.

There are more of us and I think this might even cause more people to decide against recreating. Especially those that planned to go for a looong time.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2021, 04:22 PM by leviadan.)

@"TommySalami"

I don't know how I feel about this. I don't think I'm a one and done player, and I don't usually get too bothered by league changes, but it's hard not to feel pretty garbage about this. I'll have put two years of work into my player only to get my peak season kneecapped by the update scale making lower TPE players better, and now getting pushed off a regression cliff that essentially kills 2+ seasons of work? I don't know. This makes me reevaluate how much effort I put into the league. 

I get that parity changes need to happen at some point, I definitely see that. But it sucks seeing max earning players dominate the SHL for my entire career, and then getting robbed of my chance to do the same after two years of building to it. Maybe it won't be as drastic as I think it will be, but it hurts for sure.

I don't know what a better solution is, because pushing it back a season or two just punishes somebody else, but right now it feels like S53 and S54 are getting nuked for putting in a lot of work and building great players. I guess ramping up the new regression more slowly is considered a no go because it would take too long?

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]

12-02-2021, 04:11 PMlespoils Wrote:
12-02-2021, 04:08 PMPatty Wrote: It sucks but it had to be someone.

Did it have to happen on a 2-weeks notice tho?
No but I'm not sure what a more advanced warning changes.

[Image: Cracker_Pizza_sig.png?ex=6516546d&is=651...bb4003576&]
[Image: pride23gif.gif]

12-02-2021, 04:20 PMleviadan Wrote: @"TommySalami"

I don't know how I feel about this. I don't think I'm a one and done player, and I don't usually get too bothered by league changes, but it's hard not to feel pretty garbage about this. I'll have put two years of work into my player only to get my peak season kneecapped by the update scale making lower TPE players better, and now getting pushed off a regression cliff that essentially kills 2+ seasons of work? I don't know. This makes me reevaluate how much effort I put into the league. 

I get that parity changes need to happen at some point, I definitely see that. But it sucks seeing max earning players dominate the SHL for my entire career, and then getting robbed of my chance to do the same after two years of building to it. Maybe it won't be as drastic as I think it will be, but it hurts for sure.

Hear hear.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

12-02-2021, 04:23 PMPatty Wrote:
12-02-2021, 04:11 PMlespoils Wrote: Did it have to happen on a 2-weeks notice tho?

honestly I think it changes almost nothing except it maintains the goodwill that was just blasted into the sun by surprising S54 with regression they didn't see coming. S55 and onward are still gonna get hit exactly the same, they're not losing anything. This has been postponed long enough already that I think it's worth waiting one more season if it means not making an entire draft class feel like they're an afterthought.

I mentioned this somewhere else, but I know there was never going to be a solution that would make every single person happy. The more I think about it the more I think delaying this a single season would be the best compromise between delaying this a silly amount and just demoralizing everybody in S54.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

12-02-2021, 04:23 PMPatty Wrote: No but I'm not sure what a more advanced warning changes.

Pretty much the same it does to every bad news there ever was:

"I'm sorry but budget cuts mean we can't extend your contract at the end of the year"
VS
"You're fired, clean out your desk and security will see you out"

"Your childhood house is going to be turned into a shopping mall, construction starts next year"
VS
"Hey what the fuck did they do to our home?"

"Your dog is getting old, we're giving him a few months, maybe a year"
VS
"Your dog has been hit by a car"

[Image: lespoils.gif]

12-02-2021, 04:20 PMleviadan Wrote: @"TommySalami"

I don't know what a better solution is, because pushing it back a season or two just punishes somebody else, but right now it feels like S53 and S54 are getting nuked for putting in a lot of work and building great players. I guess ramping up the new regression more slowly is considered a no go because it would take too long?

Similar to my previous response, it's all a matter of perspective. Had we implemented this regression 10 seasons ago, you would have earned the exact same amount of TPE up to this point, you just be entering your second season of regression. I've probably earned more than 4000 TPE in my career but I'm currently at 1150 TPE. If regression wasn't a thing at all and then it was announced today I'd be going 2900 TPE lost, wtf? That's not the way to look at it though. Everyone is becoming subject to this new system, there just needed to be some up front changes to make everyone fit in where they should.

It's emotional because it seems to affect some groups more than others but I can guarantee you we did the research to find the most fair way to implement this.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

So the league wants people to stop hitting high TPE levels?

But less than a week earlier the league also introduces this for rookies?

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=120508

(Yes, I'm including J and SHL together)

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

12-02-2021, 04:33 PMlespoils Wrote:
12-02-2021, 04:23 PMPatty Wrote: No but I'm not sure what a more advanced warning changes.

Pretty much the same it does to every bad news there ever was:

"I'm sorry but budget cuts mean we can't extend your contract at the end of the year"
VS

"Your childhood house is going to be turned into a shopping mall, construction starts next year"
VS

VS

I get what you and jess are saying that it wouldn't feel so rough if we delayed it.  That just feels like a pretty arbitrary call for HO to make on the basis of it won't feel as shitty for these 2 classes.  And just shift the shitty feeling to a different class.

A change that was needed. I'm really sorry to the S53/S54 guys, I completely understand why you're upset, but you'll still be on top for the most part since everyone else is falling with you. It's not the exact same, I know.

Careers shouldn't last 5+ years in real life. It's just crazy.

Finally we can get some turnover and have other teams actually compete. The league needed something.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

12-02-2021, 04:38 PMWearingabear Wrote: So the league wants people to stop hitting high TPE levels?

From what we were informed from Muted there were only two 3 on 3s and two primetimes, as well no trivia this season, actually creating less overall TPE for rookies with this.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

12-02-2021, 04:38 PMWearingabear Wrote: So the league wants people to stop hitting high TPE levels?

IMO making regression a season earlier thus lowering the peak, is what allows introduction of new TPE opportunities.

12-02-2021, 04:23 PMPatty Wrote:
12-02-2021, 04:11 PMlespoils Wrote: Did it have to happen on a 2-weeks notice tho?

It's these kind of replies that drive me up the wall. Communicate with the league. There were whispers that something was coming but nothing implied by the league in an official manner that I can recall? Dropping this on everyone two weeks before it hits is a slap in the face.

Jess/JURT and others have said it but advanced notice changes a lot. Instead of feeling like the league doesn't respect me or the work I've put in, I would have time to process that I'm not going to reach a goal I've been working towards for nearly two years. Have some respect for the userbase that's the life of the league.

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

12-02-2021, 04:39 PMPatty Wrote:
12-02-2021, 04:33 PMlespoils Wrote: Pretty much the same it does to every bad news there ever was:

VS

VS

VS

I get what you and jess are saying that it wouldn't feel so rough if we delayed it.  That just feels like a pretty arbitrary call for HO to make on the basis of it won't feel as shitty for these 2 classes.  And just shift the shitty feeling to a different class.

But it wouldn't be the same shitty feeling. "Hey your regression is in two months instead of four months" is not the same as "surprise your regression is in two weeks instead of two months" The next class would have an entire season to know this is coming (just like S55 already does here). It's not arbitrary to make a decision based on treating users with respect, that is a very real and completely reasonable motivation to take into consideration when making a decision.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

What Jess and Toast wrote.

I'm already busy trying to figure out my regression for the upcoming off-season, and now I get knocked on my ass with an extra negative 240TPE. The time and effort it takes to get to this level feels wasted and disrespected by the short notice.

22 months to get here, for what.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]