Create Account

Updated: Changes to Regression

12-02-2021, 08:28 PMhonkerrs Wrote: if only tbb cared this much to mention anything to HO on the day  brought it up 2 weeks ago, least publicly . maybe this blow out couldve been avoided. damn
I didn't expect this from you. For the record I was writing something going against it and all of the many reasons. When I first saw the proposed scale of  draft+ 9, 12, 15,15,15, 18, 20...  I thought it was a joke as it was far different than anything I have seen. I didn't think I needed to voice my concern because another gm made a statement that mirrored my perspective that was not commented on at all by anyone so I didn't feel a need to repeat what was said. I then asked "what is the issue that the regression changes talked about earlier intend to fix and why is it an issue...this was never addressed by HO or communicated by HO at all to then continue the dialog...
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2021, 10:02 PM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

I think first of all we should acknowledge that this change is something that just stings on a very personal level for a lot of people right now and no amount of purely fact-focused arguments will change that or alleviate that raw emotional pain at this moment.

However, my first instinct is that this is a change that was probably necessary, although I'm a big fan of how long the SHL allows players careers to be compared to other sim leagues and it is painful for me to see this career path become less viable now. I also agree that the communication of this wasn't handled perfectly, people should have been given more notice or we should have found a system that doesn't have the psychologically devastating effect of some players losing 400+ TPE at once.

Long-term however, I think people from the S53 and S54 classes will be fine. I've never been a fan of treating TPE like a highscore and I can only encourage people to let go of that mindset because it's what causing most of your pain right now. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have 2000 TPE or 2200, what matters is where you stand in relation to the rest of the league. You guys still get your time at the top of the league, just with a slightly smaller number at the top of your player profile - which won't really matter because everyone elses number will be smaller as well. Maybe your edge will be a bit smaller or shorter than that of the people that came before you, but at the end of the day that's exactly the intention behind this change, for the top of the league to feel less set in stone. Even if you (understandably) hate to hear it: It did have to start somewhere. At the end of the day, "People in the past used to have advantages that ultimately turned out to be bad for our community as a whole, so now that it's my turn I should get those same advantages as well!" is just not a good argument. both in a league like this and when it comes to a lot of real world social issues.

I also don't see anyone having a big disadvantage in terms of alll-time stats or HOF consideration. The current generation of players is set to smash most of the old career records anyway thanks to the new engine and the 66 game seasons that both lead to higher point totals for the very top of the league and to more consistent and generally higher scoring even for people lower on the depth charts. So we are in a new statistical era anyway and since we are still ironing out the problems that came with the engine switch, things will naturally fluctuate a bit from season to season and some players will end up getting a bit luckier with that than others.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2021, 09:39 PM by honkerrs.)

12-02-2021, 09:22 PMhockeyiscool Wrote:
12-02-2021, 08:28 PMhonkerrs Wrote: if only tbb cared this much to mention anything to HO on the day  brought it up 2 weeks ago, least publicly . maybe this blow out couldve been avoided. damn
I didn't expect this from you. For the record I was writing something going against it and all of the many reasons. When I first saw the proposed scale of  draft+ 9, 12, 15,15,15, 18, 20...  I thought it was a joke as it was far different than anything I have seen. I didn't think I needed to voice my concern because another gm made a statement that mirrored my perspective that was not commented on at all by anyone so I didn't feel a need to repeat what was said. I then asked "what is the issue that the regression changes talked about earlier intend to fix and why is it an issue...this was never addressed by HO or communicated by HO at all to then continue the dialog...
maybe your other gm shouldnt have used that day to randomly complain that anc and nlb players get tampered in the shl with no receipts and instead create a meaningful discussion with HO and the tbb LR

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

12-02-2021, 09:36 PMhonkerrs Wrote:
12-02-2021, 09:22 PMhockeyiscool Wrote: I didn't expect this from you. For the record I was writing something going against it and all of the many reasons. When I first saw the proposed scale of  draft+ 9, 12, 15,15,15, 18, 20...  I thought it was a joke as it was far different than anything I have seen. I didn't think I needed to voice my concern because another gm made a statement that mirrored my perspective that was not commented on at all by anyone so I didn't feel a need to repeat what was said. I then asked "what is the issue that the regression changes talked about earlier intend to fix and why is it an issue...this was never addressed by HO or communicated by HO at all to then continue the dialog...
maybe your other gm shouldnt have used that day to randomly complain that anc and nlb just tamper with no receipts and instead create a meaningful discussion with HO and the tbb LR
Ngl I don't really see how this correlates to how HO didn't communicate to GM's on the actual scale put in place, or anything Dwight mentioned. I'd hope HO is able to multi-task and like, talk to GMs about a major change regardless of allegations being made elsewhere.

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

12-02-2021, 09:33 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: I think first of all we should acknowledge that this change is something that just stings on a very personal level for a lot of people right now and no amount of purely fact-focused arguments will change that or alleviate that raw emotional pain at this moment.

However, my first instinct is that this is a change that was probably necessary, although I'm a big fan of how long the SHL allows players careers to be compared to the rest of the league and it is painful for me to see this career path become less viable now. I also agree that the communication of this wasn't handled perfectly, people should have been given more notice or we should have found a system that doesn't have the psychologically devastating effect of some players losing 400+ TPE at once.

Long-term however, I think people from the S53 and S54 classes will be fine. I've never been a fan of treating TPE like a highscore and I can only encourage people to let go of that mindset because it's what causing most of your pain right now. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have 2000 TPE or 2200, what matters is where you stand in relation to the rest of the league. You guys still get your time at the top of the league, just with a slightly smaller number at the top of your player profile - which won't really matter because everyone elses number will be smaller as well. Maybe your edge will be a bit smaller or shorter than that of the people that came before you, but at the end of the day that's exactly the intention behind this change, for the top of the league to feel less set in stone. Even if you (understandably) hate to hear it: It did have to start somewhere. At the end of the day, "People in the past used to have advantages that ultimately turned out to be bad for our cumminty as a whole, so now that it's my turn I should get those same advantages as well!" is just not a good argument., both in a league like this and in relation to a lot of real world social issues.

I also don't see anyone having a big disadvantage in terms of alll-time stats or HOF consideration. The current generation of players is set to smash most of the old career records anyway thanks to the new engine and the 66 game seasons that both lead to higher point totals for the very top of the league and to more consistent and generally higher scoring even for people lower on the depth charts. So we are in a new statistical era anyway and since we are still ironing out the problems that came with the engine switch, things will naturally fluctuate a bit from season to season and some players will end up getting a bit luckier with that than others.

RED I don't often read your encyclopedia articles but I did enjoy this one. Well said.

I also enjoyed "cumminty"

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

12-02-2021, 09:47 PMAcsolap Wrote:
12-02-2021, 09:33 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: I think first of all we should acknowledge that this change is something that just stings on a very personal level for a lot of people right now and no amount of purely fact-focused arguments will change that or alleviate that raw emotional pain at this moment.

However, my first instinct is that this is a change that was probably necessary, although I'm a big fan of how long the SHL allows players careers to be compared to the rest of the league and it is painful for me to see this career path become less viable now. I also agree that the communication of this wasn't handled perfectly, people should have been given more notice or we should have found a system that doesn't have the psychologically devastating effect of some players losing 400+ TPE at once.

Long-term however, I think people from the S53 and S54 classes will be fine. I've never been a fan of treating TPE like a highscore and I can only encourage people to let go of that mindset because it's what causing most of your pain right now. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have 2000 TPE or 2200, what matters is where you stand in relation to the rest of the league. You guys still get your time at the top of the league, just with a slightly smaller number at the top of your player profile - which won't really matter because everyone elses number will be smaller as well. Maybe your edge will be a bit smaller or shorter than that of the people that came before you, but at the end of the day that's exactly the intention behind this change, for the top of the league to feel less set in stone. Even if you (understandably) hate to hear it: It did have to start somewhere. At the end of the day, "People in the past used to have advantages that ultimately turned out to be bad for our cumminty as a whole, so now that it's my turn I should get those same advantages as well!" is just not a good argument., both in a league like this and in relation to a lot of real world social issues.

RED I don't often read your encyclopedia articles but I did enjoy this one. Well said.

I also enjoyed "cumminty"

I would love to blame this one on German autocorrect but there are just to many people here who can falsify that these days.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

[Intro]
(What?)
(What? What? What?)
Push up (What? What?)

[Pre-Chorus]
Push up (Woo)
Push up, yeah (Woo)
Push up (What? Woo)
Push (Yeah)
Push (Slatt)
Push (Blatt)

[Chorus]
Ride 'round town with the Draco, bih
D-R-A-C-O, yeah (Woo, woo)
Ride 'round town with the Draco, bih
D-R-A-C-O, yeah
D-R-A-C-O (Yeah), D-R-A-C-O (Yeah)
D-R-A-C-O (Yeah), D-R-A-C-O

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Yeah, I’m not making another player after this one to put in so much effort to see him playing decent and then getting fvck3d by some stupid and new regression system.

Stars Stars Stars

12-02-2021, 09:55 PMst4rface Wrote: Yeah, I’m not making another player after this one to put in so much effort to see him playing decent and then getting fvck3d by some stupid and new regression system.
Mood

Cale was better at 900 TPE anyways.

[Image: Wally.png]

12-02-2021, 09:36 PMhonkerrs Wrote:
12-02-2021, 09:22 PMhockeyiscool Wrote: I didn't expect this from you. For the record I was writing something going against it and all of the many reasons. When I first saw the proposed scale of  draft+ 9, 12, 15,15,15, 18, 20...  I thought it was a joke as it was far different than anything I have seen. I didn't think I needed to voice my concern because another gm made a statement that mirrored my perspective that was not commented on at all by anyone so I didn't feel a need to repeat what was said. I then asked "what is the issue that the regression changes talked about earlier intend to fix and why is it an issue...this was never addressed by HO or communicated by HO at all to then continue the dialog...
maybe your other gm shouldnt have used that day to randomly complain that anc and nlb players get tampered in the shl with no receipts and instead create a meaningful discussion with HO and the tbb LR

We don't do meaningful discussion

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

They have lives you know

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

I show up and already you're trying to make my time here shorter.

12-02-2021, 09:57 PMhockeyiscool Wrote:
12-02-2021, 09:55 PMst4rface Wrote: Yeah, I’m not making another player after this one to put in so much effort to see him playing decent and then getting fvck3d by some stupid and new regression system.
Mood

I'm recreating every 5 seasons and staying in the J forever

[Image: lespoils.gif]

instead of implementing stronger regression systems to help the bad teams be less bad, why don't the bad teams just get better and stop being so bad?

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho