Create Account

Stepping Down Presser
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2022, 05:33 PM by JayWhy.)

[Image: Manhattan-min.png]

It is with some sadness, though not a lot, that I announce I am stepping down from the Manhattan Rage. I have been the general manager here since S39, 8 games into the season, and have worked to make the team better than it ever had been before. I end my career with a record of 589-674-89 and a Challenge Cup victory in S52.

I have many people to thank for helping me through my time as a general manager in this league.

@GeckoeyGecko for being the best co-gm I could ask for at the time that I needed it. You were the spark we needed in the locker room who helped unite us and keep us on track through difficult times.

@"luketd" for being the co-gm that helped us to make the leap, and for putting your faith in me and in us when making your free agent decision. You're the reason this all came together and culminated in a Cup, and while you're ultimately the reason I'm still in the position, I still am grateful to have been able to work with you.

@Citizen of Adraa for being the co-gm that walked to the end with me and helped me form a team that I can be proud of and be a part of moving forward. You are going to be a great general manager in the league for years to come, and truly are an incredibly talented person.

@Inf1d3l and @39alaska39 for the hours of work you put in to help us build the team, the locker room and the lines. When I was unable to access FHM, you took charge and made it your mission to keep our team moving forward, and you did a fantastic job. You have been leaders from the moment you stepped in our locker room, and are true friends to me.

@ImShiny for just about everything. You're an incredible friend, an incredible person. I am completely serious in the love that Kayla and I have for you, and the pride we feel in all that you accomplish as a person. You are one of the brightest spots of my GMing career, and the reason that it felt so fulfilling.

@GoonerBear my friend, the person that was with me through it all. I am so incredibly grateful to have spent this time with you on the team, as a leader and a friend. You have been stellar at every turn.

@James Truong go fuck yourself, ya neerrrddd (gotta keep the gimmick alive baby)

@"hannah" and @SchwarzNarr and @"IsaStarcrossed" you are the leaders of this rebuild, who I would put my entire career on to lead us to greatness. You are amazing people, great friends, and I am very lucky to have gotten to learn from you all.

@Canadice you are possibly the smartest person I have ever met on this site, and I am very thankful to have had you as a confidant to help through the end of my journey as a general manager. You are an amazing person who will be a true rock star in this league for a long time.

@JayTee you are truly the first friend I've made from SHL, and somebody who I have spent countless hours talking to. I am so thankful to have you as somebody that I know I can go to at any time, and whom I see as one of my best friends.

@Buster and @Toast my best friends. There is so much that I could say about you both, but the thing is, you already know. I love you guys.

I am sure there are many more to thank, like juni, Juke, Jeff and people without J names even as well.

At this time, I will take questions if you have any. Thank you all for your time and best of luck in the future.

02-12-2022, 09:52 AMluke Wrote: JY the hard hitting questions

Best season (not S52)

Worst season

Best co-Gm

Best Geck(e)

What do you think was your best trade

What do you think was your worst trade

What did you do that you felt separated you from other GM’s

Hmm.

1) Without the Cup winning season, there's still honestly a few good ones. Any time we had a weird upset over Chicago was always a good time for me. However, probably the best was S46. I think that may have been your first with the team, and it was when we could see it all coming together. The locker room was growing and becoming something special, the team had a wild hot streak and we finally climbed out of the rebuild. It set us up on a path to having the most playoff appearances in Rage history and breaking a lot of records along that way. Looking back, that's when we could see that we were on our way to some huge success.

2) I have so many candidates for the worst. S48 can stand out, because it definitely was a gut punch to be on the rise so consistently and have a stumble like that. But that also builds character and teaches you moments. I'd say really the worst is more so due to some personal issues in my real life, the season that we lost z0rem and then following up with that by losing Juke. That was a really hard punch from life, and that's just the stuff on here. There was a lot around that also, so it was just a low point.

3) Easily CoA, he didn't ditch me like you, and he isn't Geck so.

4) Best Geck is probably you.

5) Best trade has a lot of candidates, truthfully. I could go with the Juke trade, it did get us on the track we needed for the rebuild. However, that was taxing and ultimately we got less than comparable value so it's probably more of an even trade. I could go with the trade for you, however, that one was bit more forced so while I tried to be fair in the value, it wasn't quite the same. So it's really between the trade to move up and get Peter Larson or the one that I'm probably most proud of. I've always loved doing trades during the draft, the draft is a fun time to me. So in S42, I had the 10th pick (among many others) and was open to moving back. I ended up moving back to 13, still getting the target I had in David Kastrba and James Dekens who was a good role player for us for a while, and a 2nd round pick that I immediately flipped because Ace had been working on a deal involving that already, giving me Edmonton's 1st in S43 for that 2nd round pick and my 1st in S44, knowing that would likely be a higher pick but in a draft that should be worse as post-reddit drafts tend to be letdowns. That S43 pick gave me Alex Winters, and so we had some major core pieces from that move in Kastrba and Winters, and Edmonton got Soren Kirkegaard and Tauras Karazija out of it which were not great. I'd say that move ultimately is a big turning point for my original rebuild.

6) God, the worst trade could be a number of them. I'll lean toward a couple of them. I'll give you three.
First, the Luke Atmey trade. Just terrible. It was early on for me, and I was just trying to tear it down and didn't have much to work with really. I felt pretty good getting a lot of assets out of it, and at the time S42 was said to be the reddit draft as it would be right at the start of summer vacation for students and would be a perfect alignment, but closer to S42 they changed it and made it S43, which definitely played a big effect on the return. Mack disappeared quickly, Keenan never responded to me, and I just ended up with a lot of missed opportunities out of it for someone that was a huge player at the time.

Second, Jogy and Clint. It was S44, and we were looking like we would be on an upward swing soon. I had more prospects than I had space on the lines, so I was going to effectively consolidate by getting some experience in and trying to help get us over the hump a little bit sooner. I should have just waited it out, but I wasn't aware of some things going on around the league. First being that Jogy was very much decided in retiring, and was being shipped out because she was going to retire on Tampa. The second being that the league was about to expand, and some of the prospects I moved would be automatically protected but now I was going to have to lose one of these players to expansion. So I ultimately gave Tampa a lot of pieces for less than a season of two players, one going in expansion and one just up and retiring. It's painful.

Third, the Poopity Scoop trade. This one I can say was reasonable in terms of justification, but it ended so horribly that it's one of my worst trades ever. Our forwards were overstocked, we had a player playing on the 4th line and absolutely despising it. So we had to find a way to make a move, and our defense was actually pretty weak. I saw an opportunity for us to pull things around on both sides, move out a forward and bring in that strength we need on defense. Unfortunately, since Scoop was a max earner, that required a high-earning forward and so I looked at who we had as options and decided that what is best is for us to hold on to the player that is just hanging on to activity because of us and move the person that we knew would be active no matter what, and moved Mika Mayfield. She was definitely a superstar, and someone I fully planned on being face of the franchise at some point, but we needed to focus on keeping people active and building up our team. It made sense, getting a max earner for a max earner, but then Scoop left us in free agency for Buffalo with nothing coming back our way because of a situation we didn't know of and it became a very frustrating move to look back on.

7) My communication and connection with my players. I've been told by many people that I had a unique system basically, and I specifically designed it that way. I wanted to set us apart, and I think I've achieved that much. I think my scouting system is and was better than most teams, and the way I connected with people was something that made Manhattan such a great place to be. I always tried to improve, and even now I know that I'm leaving having not been the best GM, but sometimes that's just how it is. If there was ever something I could do better, I sought it out, worked on it and made it happen. I was never stuck in my ways, I was always evolving, and it all stems from that unique communication style I had that has since been copied by GMs who have come from my tree, and that makes me so much prouder of it all, knowing that it was good enough to be copied and implemented by others.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

_/ _/ _/

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

1) Will you ever be nice to me?
[Image: 925169283451990036.gif?size=96&quality=lossless]

2) How much enjoyment did you have teasing the S62 class with the 1st OA pick in S62?

[Image: 794928850781995018.webp?size=96&quality=lossless]

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

<3 Congrats on the career!<3

[Image: ImShiny.gif]

Pog

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Good luck, JY

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Question - you didn't even tag me.

Seriously - much love, bud. I can't thank you enough for taking a chance on me. I'll always appreciate you, even if I bust your balls. And even if you don't tag me.

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

I have no question, just immense sadness and gratitude that you brought me into Manhattan and helped shape the start of my SHL career.

[Image: 66168_s.gif]
Update Page || Roster Page

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Honestly, you're a big reason for why I've stuck around the SHL this long. I thank you for all the times you've brought player to Manhattan, and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of the Manhattan LR since S39.

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page

Wow. Hell of a gm career.

_/_/_/

One of the biggest reasons I wanted to come back from inactivity. Congrats on the great career, and good luck. It'll be weird not having you at the helm.

Speedwagon Player Page | Speedwagon Updates Page 

[Image: speedwagongifsig.gif]

[Image: GoonerBear.gif]

<3

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

Congrats man. Much love.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

One of the best. Enjoy the serenity.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2022, 08:59 AM by Grapehead.)

Was always a pleasure working with you. I have a ton of respect for your tenure as GM, and I'm glad I got to share a bit of a rivalry with you and the Rage during part of it.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia