Create Account

Is the SHL in crisis or are people being overdramatic?

03-06-2022, 03:45 PMMack Wrote:
Shout out to ArGarBarGar and all the great people who have helped build this site in the past. We stand on their giant shoulders.

This actually looks amazing.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

I guess the base questions is

can you turn injuries off, can you not have people retire, is there a way export player stats so that they have the same userID. Because if we were to switch the index would have to switch over and the whole archetype of the backend and front end would have to change.

I did read the article on the athletic about this or NHL06, I forget which one. But I think it would be an idea to explore, but it would be a massive undertaking to switch over to it. Like we did from STHS -> FHM. And it took like 5 seasons for the new index to be built.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

03-06-2022, 04:56 PMThatguy91 Wrote:
Shout out to ArGarBarGar and all the great people who have helped build this site in the past. We stand on their giant shoulders.

This actually looks amazing.

I remember being so excited about seeing these in the offseason~

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

03-05-2022, 01:08 PMspooked Wrote: I guess we should all clean ANA logos from our sigs considering we were fired from being alum :(
Just put Outlungus Outlungus , while it may be related, it was made by me while day drinking as a rookie when I was hyped on the league haha

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

I've had trouble getting back into it all, but I'm a perfectionist who knows he doesn't have the time for another HoF player, so I'll probably never really try. I'm glad I have the index for the new go around, but I honestly preferred the STHS game display method of just having a giant readout of the game events in a text file. I didn't have to sit and watch a stream; I could open the game link at my leisure and read exactly what happened. It's a pity that a loophole to crack open the engine was found.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

I will say that I've thoroughly enjoyed my SMJHL time with Newfoundland, though, and I could see myself as a permanent SMJHL troll.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

This might be inconsequential, but the media pay scale here is bonkers. I’m a heavy media user in sim leagues but it almost doesn’t seem worth it here because of how little the pay is.

I’d like to think that if you paid more for media, you’d get more involvement, more people being exciting about building their player, etc

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

[Image: S45_Exhibition__Game_2__West_Kendall_Pla...ota_Ch.gif]
[Image: S45_Exhibition__Game_1__Los_Angeles_Pant...Bay_Ba.gif]
[Image: 5s8lzGW.jpeg]
[Image: 78bosSv.png]
[Image: mv4n0Kk.png]
[Image: LyxXVnb.jpeg]
[Image: image.png]
[Image: hIPIx2t.png]
[Image: image.png]

If there is talk about changing the sim engine...

I think if the SHL went to simming on NHL04 on PC and went full visual with the sim it would so much fun for the players. There is so many creative humans here who would just create some amazing stuff if they had access to this. Imagine all the GIFs of huge hits, big fights, top cheese OT Goals...I imagine with all the great mind here and editing skills we would have full on RP movies made.

You may see your lower TPE player lay a big hit that leads to a turnover and a huge a goal for your team. You may not show up on the board with a Goal or Assist but seeing those other plays made may make you feel like you're making more of an impact.

Picture game 7 being simmed live and no one knowing who wins in advance. Having it be like a 30 min sim where you could grab a drink or some food sit back and watch a real game be played out on your big screen. If we could turn off the in game announcers and have the two biggest SHL nerds do Play by Play that would just be the icing on the cake.

You can read more about NHL04 and it's modding community here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nhl04reb...004-pc-f1/

There is just so much work being done by so many people on this website already. I feel like if all that energy was put towards a sim engine like this with all the visual customization options it could really re-kindle the flame for many. I am sure there will be arguments against this and reasons why it can't be done, I just want to put it out there anyways.

I know some view the sim as not that important and are here just for the social aspect of it but if you really want the passion here I think the sim has to be cool. The current sim engine is not for the masses it's for the few. A few people who enjoy it get to have a more in depth simming compared to simon but for the average player they didn't gain anything. For a few seasons they actually lost something as the index was trash. A sim engine like NHL04 may be less fun (maybe not?) for the few number crunching GM's but it would be more fun for the couple hundred players.

ArGarBarGar YouTube Channel <-- Some great SHL Content Here

Man I'd absolutely love this

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

03-06-2022, 08:38 PMSpartanGibbles Wrote:
03-05-2022, 01:08 PMspooked Wrote: I guess we should all clean ANA logos from our sigs considering we were fired from being alum :(
Just put Outlungus Outlungus , while it may be related, it was made by me while day drinking as a rookie when I was hyped on the league haha
God, I still remember it, so fucking wild to see you posting it back in the day. And then, we just ran with it too.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

I love the idea of a 3D actual gameplay sim, but as someone who witnessed the brief CHL stamkosfan league, watching those fucking AI is infuriating. Just weird physics and decisions all around. Hell, even watching nhl 22 ai makes me wanna die.

EA does not know hockey, just hot chip and lie

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

When we moved to FHM we looked at EHM and NHL09, but there were some issues with both. EHM you can't turn off development, so that was a nightmare to deal with. I believe there were no boxscores in NHL09 (at the time we thought we could create boxscores for fhm6, but we had some issues there too), and we experienced a lot of crashing during testing. Messing with the master db in NHL09 can cause all sorts of weird issues but if you don't, the only thing you can do is add teams for exhibition play.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but using this for something like the All Star Game could potentially be a great idea, provided it doesn't take too much time and manpower to set up.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

03-08-2022, 12:32 AMbrickwall35 Wrote: I've mentioned it elsewhere, but using this for something like the All Star Game could potentially be a great idea, provided it doesn't take too much time and manpower to set up.

There was brief work at doing the ASGs in NHL 2k5 along with the skills competition. The "filework" was pretty miserable and it didn't take off too hard.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

03-07-2022, 02:28 AMdogwoodmaple Wrote: This might be inconsequential, but the media pay scale here is bonkers. I’m a heavy media user in sim leagues but it almost doesn’t seem worth it here because of how little the pay is.

I’d like to think that if you paid more for media, you’d get more involvement, more people being exciting about building their player, etc
Yeah, the media scale here is why I stopped max earning. It’s nuts.

[Image: sink.png]
[Image: Screenshot_2021-04-12_000020.png]

Been saying the media scale sucks balls since 2018 and it hasn’t changed yet

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]