Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

Pasta the turtle has been pushing for a fantastic trick play, but has been met with unmitigated silence from his team mates, coaches and General managers. Essentially, I would see Pasta the Turtle established at the point of the first powerplay unit. The forwards could be any assortment of whoever has been out there. None of them seem to do much with the man advantage so it doesn't matter. In particular Makrus the Tater Jagr who fancies himself a premier passer and Sven (the lesser) svenchnikov who describes himself as a two way d-man have been particularly harmful. They can sit on the bench. Let's have Spartan, Valor, Julio and Lev lined up with me. They kinda screw around with the puck behind the enemy net, and intentionally lose the puck (something the aforementioned degenerates do constantly @taterswc @steveoiscool ). The gleeful defender, having received the gift-wrapped pass look to clear it down the ice. Pasta the turtle insterts his arms and legs into his shell and spins into the puck, creating the knucklepuck. I don't really care if it goes in the net,, but boom! short handed goal averted

[Image: visceralpotamus.gif]

Code:
Written Task: What do you pitch to your coach to push the boundaries of the sport, and get people excited on the highlight reel? Get as creative as you want. Do you need props? Weeks of setup? YEARS of setup? Is it a plan to win the whole game, or just to score one beautiful goal? No holds barred. (150+ words)

My favorite trick play of all time is the Flying V from the Mighty Ducks movie. It is absolutely genius. That is what I would institute into the Seattle Argonauts gameplan. It is a great play and would easily get the fans going. Can you imagine the center going behind the net, holding up their hands and yelling, FLYING V!!! I get chills thinking about it and I know the fans would be going crazy. To put an Argonaut spin on it, we could even call it the flying A by just flipping it upside down.

The center would lead the rush, wingers flanking him, then the defense at the end. To complete the A, we would pull the goalie and have the extra attacker stand directly behind the center. The opposing team wouldn’t know what was coming, and this would lead us past anyone. I predict TONS of goals for the Argos in this formation.

156 words

[Image: m59RPb7.png] | [Image: FcWmVTl.png]

S61 Four Star Cup - Game-Winning Goal in the clinching Game 4
[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: efischermann.gif]

ISFL PT

[Image: 4x2jj4a.gif]
S58 Elias Armia Award Winner

Prompt 2

Trick plays and creative problem solving has always been a part of hockey, whether the old guard cares to acknowledge it or not. And skill has always been a part of what sets real good plays apart. I think you could even make the case for some real good passes being 'trick plays' back in the day. Or banking it of the boards to get past an opponent or to complete a pass. To me, thats a trick play to some degree.  And it definitely has a place in the game, its what makes it exciting. Things have definitely gotten a little more flashy in recent times compared to what we are used to seeing and I'm still not sure what I think about the lacrosse (mainly because waiving the end of a stick that close to a goalies face is asking for trouble. One unlucky dude is going to have splinters in his eye sooner or later) but it looks sick. I've never been more excited for a goal in recent years then when Matthew Tkachuck managed to grab a rebound between the legs in OT against Nashville. Its awesome to see that kind of skill in the game.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

The coach thinks hockey has gotten too stale and wants me to draw up a trick play. They said it can be a creative way to win the game, or a creative way to score. I decided to draw up a play for both. After all, if we're going to win, we need to score. So the first plan I have is to score. This plan is actually quite simple in nature but should work out well the first few times we try it before the other teams start to catch on. The plan is to take a slap shot but intentionally miss the net. The shot must be hard enough though that the puck will bounce off the boards or glass behind the net and land in the perfect spot for a teammate to bank the rebound. Should leave the defense confused enough to work. The way to win after the goal is to have two players shield the puck with their sticks along the boards behind the net and have the other three players and the goalie guard the two players shielding the puck. That should help freshen up the sport. Drive it to a grinding halt.

ISFL affiliate

[Image: vikian.gif]

Well I cant say I have ever been the creative time but here we go. This would be a trick play for the whole team. It would start behind the net like the flying V. The puck is actually left behind the net. First three guys take off left, one guy skates against the boards facing the boards as if he's pinning the puck against the boards like they are eating the clock. The other two guys in the first three act like they are blocking the one guy against the boards. The last 2 guys behind the net, first one skates left up the ice slowly like he's just watching the first three. last guy behind the net starts by watching hoping to seem not part of the play. When the last guy sees the other team is solely focused on the first three guys along the boards he then quick grabs the puck they left behind the net an hits the floating player who went left for a long stretch pass. This play is really all about selling the puck being along the boards with the first 3 players and the last 2 players really pretending to be just watching the first three to catch the other team off guard.

(216 Words)

[Image: image.png?ex=65728e45&is=65601945&hm=aa5...7eb2e58f9&][Image: vanbiesbrouck_ff.png?ex=6578c8f6&is=6566...a506d1cd1&]
Sig by adamantium

CREATIVE PROMPT

ok so the coaches of the atlanta inferno have allegedly devised a great plan that is simple and effective and this plan is going to be used to score approximately one goal every home game, which adds up to a lot of goals like 33 of them in a season which is kind of like the difference maker between a bad team and a middling team. so the plan for scoring this goal at every home game is to plant a fan that is wearing a high speed motion detector behind the opposing team's goalie at all home games and whenever this detector senses that there is a shot that is heading towards the goal, it will "hack" at the fan with a very small and dull knife and make them yelp out in a very loud manner so as to distract the opposing team's goalie when they are trying to make the save on the shot. initial trials have been a great success, however several of the other teams have started to catch on as they have been raising concerns about the existence of atlanta's "hax". the mastermind behind this theory is none other than mr @honkerrs himself, but the coach mr @hotdog denies all of the allegations that have been raised.

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

I have been watching a lot of basketball lately, and I mean a lot of it. The natural inclination I have from this is to try to apply basketball concepts to hockey games in order to better design plays and movements.

The main way to get a trick play going is to utilize something that people wouldn't normally apply to this situation and applying it as directly as possible. For me, I know that a pick would be illegal and get called as interference, but what if we used the fake pick and roll that has become common in basketball lately? Have a player skate directly toward the defender who is most on puck and just a step away from them cut hard into open space. That open space could be fading around them, cutting down toward the net or cutting down and then back out to where they came from to find space to get the puck down low.

Hockey is a game of cliches because they're true, and in this case get pucks deep is something everyone says because it really is what you have to do. This gets the puck in deep and gives an opportunity to have a skill player with some open space and a defender scrambling to catch up, giving you a short odd man advantage that can lead to some fun creative moves.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

You've seen the flying V, you've seen the michigan lacrosse goal, you've seen goalies try to score goals before. Well, you see, Hockey, especially after the big spending issues of yesterweek means that the Philly Forge of the Simulation Hockey League have some hurdles to jump through to up their games right now. So Coach asked all of us to think about things differently. He was inspired by Modern Art, but Igor is inspired by Rodney Mullen and his bag of tricks. You see, Rodney Mullen, the famous skateboarder of the 80's, 90's and of course Tony Hawk's Pro Skater fame, looked at a skate board and thought: "Why do I have to ride on the grip tape, why can't a trick be done on the side of the board, why can't I stand on the trucks of the board? why not?" That's where we stand today at practice. Does it score legally? Will you take a penalty doing this shot? If the answer is no to both of those, then all hands are off. Let the shots rip. The only issue is, that trick, it's a secret. But let's just say there may be stick skating happening, or is there?

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

It's too hard to really pull off trick plays in the game of hockey. In football, everyone has a mark and a job. Linemen try to burst through one person, hoping the ball is near. Safeties and backs are sometimes playing zone coverage waiting on the ball, but there's a good chance they're playing man-to-man coverage.

In the game of hockey, everyone is focused on the puck. I know you don't watch the quick when you're hitting someone, but it's the general focus of most players. It's also the entire focus of the goalie. It's hard to hide the puck, which is one of the only ways that trick plays work. The lacrosse goal is more about control than a trick and banking on an over-committing goalie.

It'd be cool to spice up the game, but I think it's great the way it is and you can't do much anyways. Not within the real of realism anyways.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

the atlanta inferno have been devising a scheme to employ a wild trick play into the gameflow and we plan on unveiling it some day to score a goal when it matters the most (in the finals perhaps). I cannot reveal that one so I'll present some of he ones we've already utilized in games with varying levels of success. One idea was to have Guy Zheng @goldenglutes clench his powerful buttcheeks around the puck and carry it from end to end, forcefully projecting it into the net with bodybuilder level strength. Another was to have Dick Clapper @5ympathies put his name to good use and use his Dick to Clapp the puck into the net. Nathan Explosion @micool132 practiced exploding upon impact with the puck to direct it into the net. The most successful of the bunch was to have our Toad @Duff101 Samat Beibitzhanov reach his extremely long toad tongue all the way down the ice to knock the puck into the opposing net. As long as we can carefully place a fly on the puck, this one worked well.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Creative Prompt

Ok so i want make this straight, we're talking about trick play not trick shoot. So, there a lot of trick play used in all kinda of sports, in american football we can see a lot of it, from fake punt/kick, the trick play like philly's special, the trick play to hide the RB behind Ol that used in college, and a lot of others. Then there's is lacrose, i didn't watch a lot but i know there is a lot of trick play in them. We can also see in basketball, like when the ball is out, and the one have the ball throw to the opponents back, and bounce the ball back to them then score, and a lot other in other sports also. In hockey, i think there are some way we can manage to do it, like the ted nolan one, that similar to the one in NFL where the player run back to bench, then the opponents think they gonna substitutes the player, then ted nolan just ski through without any defenseman notice. Maybe there's one trick play i can think of, using cross play from american football, the team can manage to make the defenseman dizzy by crossing between teammates and let the defenseman confused who have the puck, then just shot or pass to someone that empty

Two words to make this sport really really something special. Car Hockey. Tape a hockey stick to the front of a bunch of sports cars and have them try to play hockey with just the control avaialbe to the cars. The puck will be triple sized so it can be seen from the persepctive of the drivers. The goals will also be soccer goals and be much bigger than the average goal. Goalies will be in big monster trucks that can use their entire body to block the massive goal. The sport will be a mig mashup between a crazy demolition derby and some sort of weird hockey match. It iwll be crazy and it would bring in a lot of extra advertisment space for the league based on jsut how big the cars and how much surface area they have. The arena will also have to be moved to an outdoor Nascar arena, which will quadrulpe the amount of seating available, which will increase profits tenfold! Very good ideas are originiating here. Car Hockey is the wave of the future!

[Image: image0.gif]
[Image: psdforbrookssiganimatedwhitetext.gif]

Hockey Prompt

I think trick plays in the NHL are relatively hard to pull off. Compared to other sports like baseball, football and lacrosse is that in those sports it's relatively easy to hide the ball and trick opponents. Those sports have no real limitations with what you can and cannot do with the ball, whereas in hockey players are limited with their sticks due to highstick calls existing. I feel like another limitation in hockey is that with the sticks they provide no cover over the puck compared to a baseball glove hiding the ball or a lacrosse stick covering the ball as well. Having trick plays in the NHL would add an aspect of creativity and fun too the game but there isn't enough freedom I'd say. The closest we'll get to trick plays is "The Michigan" or this goal from the 2002 Olympics. Trick plays can work they are just difficult in the NHL to pull off

[Image: keithley.png]
[Image: mcalister.png]