Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

Written Task: We've all seen the lacrosse goals, the attempts to flick the puck over the back of the net and in-- but these are few and far between. It might even be a stretch to call those things "trick plays." The only actual trick play I can think of off the top of my head is Ted Nolan pulling one over on Team Canada at the 2014 Olympics. That said, you almost never see this kind of thing happen in the NHL. Why not? Is there a lack of creativity in the game? Is it just too complicated without enough payoff? Why do you think we don't see much of this coaching style in hockey, and would you like to see more of it? (150+ words).

Trick plays definitely have their place in hockey. You just do not see them too often because they are very situational and hard to pull off. It is very nice when you see them in the highlight reels, but when a teammate makes your team lose possession to then get scored on because he tried to do a fancy little trick, you suddenly do not like them anymore. These trick plays can really only be pulled off by the best player who practiced them enough to the point that they can instantly do it at any time, otherwise it could very well be detrimental to your team and it will make every fan despise you no matter what other good things you have done in the past. If you cannot pull it off, you kind of look pretty stupid and you become the laughing stock of the entire sport. Just really not worth it, you should spend time on practicing actual basic hockey and make sure you master it.
169 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

I believe a trick play is something tough to pull off on Hockey. One trick play that Jaska Seppala has pitched to his coaches I can think of is the person with the puck gets surrounded by the rest of the team and we all make a bee line to the goal. The trick though is while the one with the puck is in the center and everyone is around them he bends down and quick scoops the puck up and put the puck down his pants. Now because he is hidden nobody will see him put it in his pants and he will just crash into the net. The goalie would be mad confused maybe even run out of the way because of how confused he is and once the player crashes into the net he quickly takes the puck out of his pants and acts like he pucked it into the goal. This would take years to master though. It is not for the weaker players

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

HOCKEY PROMPT

This is a great question and is something I've been thinking about since the whole stupid "THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR SKILLING IT UP YOU LITTLE SHIT" conversation happening between all the stale dusty hockey boomers who have nothing better to do while they drink their twice daily bottle of Ensure through a straw and uncomfortably adjust their adult diapers.
I've wondered whether we'd seen kind of a "peak" in flashy moves in the last few years. Not that creative, bold talent won't attempt these moves, however the gap between making the show and sitting in the press box gets smaller every year. It seems like the story of a previously waived nobody making a great career comeback as a NHL regular, even if at a 4th line / 3rd pairing level, is becoming much more common, and how messing up a flashy, selfish play can easy get you benched to give someone else time to prove themselves as dependable. It felt like the risk to make a bold play was not worth the terror of an angry, old NHL coach, many of which grifted their way into these spots via LE OLD BOYS CLOOB.
The other aspect is the prevalence of social media, and how every little mistake, even if off-camera during the live feed, will be caught somewhere somehow. There's no escaping the judgements of the internet. I believe players are truly afraid of making big, notable mistakes on the ice. I wonder if a player has ever had bigger moments used against them in contract negotiations?
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2022, 07:24 PM by dankoa.)

Hockey prompt:

The reason we don’t see more of those plays coached and drawn up by coaches is they’re really difficult to do effectively, they take someone with incredible skill to pull off, they rely on an element of surprise to be optimally effective and are probably not gonna be worth the effort it’d take to coach someone to do them over a long period of time. All the crazy stuff we’ve seen from Zegras et al in my mind kinda relies on goalies not expecting it at all; they’re always caught totally out of position because they lose the puck as it just doesn’t seem possible for the skater to turn his position into a goal scoring opportunity. If these were regularly coached and encouraged if by some miracle teams were actually able to field a roster with multiple players skilful enough to pull them off, goalies would be a lot more conscious of them and we’d end up seeing a lot less of the attempts being fully converted to a goal.

Code:
171 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Prompt #2

I think the trick plays are absolutely fine and if a player sees an opportunity to do something creative it should be celebrated for a big highlight. Getting people talking about hockey after a huge moment is great and can draw in some new fans so I'm perfectly fine seeing these lacrosse style goals. What I don't like seeing is the "it doesn't belong in the game" crowd losing their minds online and trying to gatekeep the sport. Was it Arizona commentators that celebrated Zegras getting into a fight over what was assumed for his plays? I don't get that at all. I think elaborate plays are cool and get people talking the moments after and I look forward to more in the future. That makes me wish that there was a good 3D engine for FHM that we could watch play things out for the SHL but that would definitely be a little too complex.

Code:

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Hockey Prompt

Trick plays are especially hard to pull off in hockey given the free-flowing, rapid, and random nature of the sport where its hard to get the right opportunity to execute the complex maneuvers required in a trick play. You certainly do see set plays in hockey, typically in more controlled situations such as after a faceoff, on the power play, or during a breakout, but even then its hard for any play to last longer than a few passes and I doubt these plays would count as 'trick' plays like the hidden ball trick in baseball or a set corner routine in soccer. However, even if there were a viable trick play at the highest level of hockey, I do think it would take a while for it to actually get implemented in the NHL, given how old school the league and its coaches tend to be. After all, it somehow took until last season for the first Michigan goal to be scored.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

I believe that creativity in the league is hard. When you have a group of players at such a high level, being able to trick or confuse anyone is very difficult. The highest level of trickery left is shootouts, where it is one versus one against the goaltender. Both the shooter, and the goalie, have tricks up their sleeves and aren't afraid to use them. Beyond that, players are one note, sometimes two. You can shoot, pass, skate, defend, hit, but not usually all at the same time. Crosby can't hit well, Ovechkin isn't the strongest passer, etc. Then if you try to go all in you end up like Tom Wilson, a player who should be good with his talents, but just ends up being a dirty piece of shit on the ice and no one respects him (rightfully so). It would take a lot of work, commitment, coaching, and practice to be able to pull off any type of trickery in the league these days, but I hope to see it soon.

Michael Scarn has been dreaming up the perfect hockey play for years. Ever since he was a kid, Michael Scarn had ambitions of hitting the ice and scoring the perfect goal. The perfect goal of course requires the perfect pass and the perfect sprint. As a player, Scarn has not had much time to ponder about the perfect play, but now as he ages and thinks about going into coaching after retirement, Michael Scarn has been thinking a lot about drawing up the perfect play. The perfect hockey play in Michael Scarn's eyes starts with a pyramid. On the ice, each team has 5 outfield players during even strength play. However, if you include the goalie, you get 6 on the ice. When on the power play, Michael Scarn's play calls for the goalie to push forwards and be the base center of the pyramid, flanked by two defensemen on the bottom base. Two forwards will go on top and then one skater will be at the very top, with the puck, who will then score from the significant height advantage that has been built.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]

HOCKEY PROMPT

Not only do I want to see more trick plays, but I think they should be given a reward when successful. On top of scoring a goal with a trick play, you automatically get to go on the power play for 2 minutes following the first trick play and 5 minutes for every subsequent trick play. To make it even better, you get to pick which player has to leave the ice. For trick plays, I'm talking about sneaky line changes, balancing the puck on your hockey stick and advancing down the ice, allowing one player to wear an eye patch while playing and if they score, it counts as a trick play goal. You could also include things like giving a player a hockey stick the size of a putt-putt putter and if they score, that also counts as a trick play goal. We need some new blood, new ideas, and fresh thinking in hockey and not only will this lead to more excitement, but it will also lead to more goals thanks to the power play rewards. If there's one thing fans love, it's more scoring and more fun. Just think how much the ratings, and as a result our salaries, would increase!

(205 words)

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

Simmer Pass

Hockey prompt

I think the lacrosse goal was awesome & I love seeing goals like that. I know alot of people don’t think those type of goals belong in hockey but personally I think it’s really cool & fun to watch the highlights. I went to watch my nephew a few weeks ago & seen an 11 year old pull it off & watched both teams go absolutely wild for it. I do think there is a lack of creativity in the league but I think the younger generation is bringing more of that into the league & I truly think we will see more goals & skills like that, you don’t see too many of the older guys doing some of the Zegras goals & passes. I’m not sure a lot of people agree with me but I enjoy it quite a bit & know we will be seeing way more unique plays & scoring plays for the upcoming years & that makes me excited.

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]

Trick plays are hard to come by for a few reasons. There is only so much players can do to disguise where the puck is. Any holding or hiding is usually a delay of game penalty so that's obviously the first hurdle. The second challenge is the ice really isn't that big. If the ice surface was much bigger there might be more opportunities but otherwise most players in good position don't need much time to react to an unexpected play. The next aspect is hockey isn't like football where there are set plays readily available as the game is very free flowing with few stoppages that would allow for a trick play setup. Lastly, if the opposing goalie is not fooled by the trick play then they will likely have a good chance to save it. If we assume the same shooting percentages as shootouts, a goalie would save it around 3/4 times so the effort to develop and execute a trick play may not be worth it in the end.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/DYZ5jqO.jpg[/img]

Trick plays have a ton of space in the sport me and trello a lot of The Times throw Bologna out of the ice because other teams think oh yeah we could use that to Maybe do stuff and I'm at Bologna not blocked now but whatever let's go with it because we had traveler around here just throwing stuff on the ice cause it's what we do his name's shoulder/tralla cause hes the controller not even a scholar but whatever hes a big baller and/is a bitch dog because hes not really a bitch but I said so but anyways we're winning this shit we got games to win gotta put 150 words on here so you know daddy gotta get that plus 3 you feel me cuz and I aint talking about a plus 3 like I scored 3 goals I'm talking about TPE cause you never need those teeps dog but also.

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

Lyle has been around the league for a while now. And one thing that he has ever been called is a flashy player. Lyle is a hard nosed, old school type of player. You don't really hear about Lyle's highlight goals and acrobatic plays. Lyle is known mostly for he ability to get in front of a puck, to block an opponents shot. So when the coaches asked for ideas on trick plays, Lyle stuck with what he knows. He proposed that on a power play, he would get in front of one of his teammates shot, to block his own teams shot. He figured in would confuse the penalty killers just long enough that he could then get the puck immediately back to the shooter how now has a shot chance with the other team scratching their heads on why Odelein just blocked his own teams shot. They have yet to try this in game, but don't be surprised if you do. Think he'd record an assist and a block on the play?

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2022, 09:22 PM by Scrufdaddy.)

Creative Prompt

I clap back to the coach with my own video essay experience. I have been gaming my YouTube algorithm to show me urbanist discussions about reducing necessity on cars / improving public transit / making cities more bike and pedestrian friendly. For my trick play, I will channel my inner urbanist and score the goal from my bike. Or more accurately, I will put on an absolute clown show distraction of a bike trick and my team will score while they are preoccupied with my act.

If that doesn't work, I will bring out my white board and data tables to lecture the opposing team about the dangerous trends in truck design to get everyone angry and again, distracted so my team can score. Or, or, or, I will SHOW them the dangers of truck design by driving my own monster machine around on the ice. See, how can we condone such dangerous machines?

This might not seem flashy, but it plays a double purpose of activism or something.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]