Create Account

Top 12 defensemen over the last 5 seasons
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2022, 04:57 PM by karlssens. Edited 4 times in total.)

TOP DEFENSEMEN S60-64

------------------------------------------------

Hello SHL. It's been a whiiile since I did one of these. Several years ago I did a top 25 centers and I told myself I'd do defensemen eventually, but never did. Well work is slow right now and I was bored so I brushed up on my excel skills and generated a ranking of all the defensemen over the last 5 seasons. To start with I summed up each players accumulative totals over the last 5 seasons. For stats like CF% I took an average across the number of seasons they played. Some of you goobers swapped positions during this 5 year window, so only the seasons where a skater played as a defenseman will be used. In order to chop out some of the outliers I decided a player must have played a minimum of 100 games to be included in this ranking. Lastly, since S64 isn't actually finished there is a chance these could change slightly. The stats used for this were as of this morning, April 13, 2022 so roughly 10-12 games remaining in S64 for most skaters.

Offensive Categories = Goals, Assists, Points, +/-, Shots on Goal, Offensive Game Rating, GF/60
Defensive Categories = Hits, Blocks, GvA-TkA, Defensive Game Rating, GA/60, CF%

How the score is calculated: There are a total of 135 skaters that have played at least 100 games as a defenseman over the last 5 seasons (sorry rookies). If a skater scored the most goals over that time frame they get 135 points added to their offensive score. If they scored the least goals over that time frame they get 1 point added to their offensive score. There are 7 categories used to calculate the offensive score, so the max score a player could achieve is 945. Defensive score is made up of 6 categories so the max score would be 810.

Scott Stevens Trophy
Season 60 Winner: Nicholas Owens (BUF) (Nominees: Hugh Jazz, Samuel Michaud)
Season 61 Winner: Keith Lee (LAP) (Nominees: Augustus Wang, Hugh Jazz, Kaspars Claude)
Season 62 Winner: Emilia Bergman (BUF) (Nominees: Akira Ren, Sven Yxskaft)
Season 63 Winner: Akira Ren (CHI) (Nominees: Gabriel Johnson, Teddy Murphy)

Bojo Biscuit Trophy
Season 60 Winner: FR Finn-Rhys (NEW) (Nominees: Satoshi Zizagooney, Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette)
Season 61 Winner: Alex Petrenko (SFP) (Nominees: Kaspars Claude, Adam Barron)
Season 62 Winner: Alex Petrenko (SFP) (Nominees: Disisde Dayudie, Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette)
Season 63 Winner: Rikard Bjerg (SFP) (Nominees: FR Finn-Rhys, Ryosuke Sato)

Link to my spreadsheet

#12 - Augustus Wang Stampede
Offensive Score = 859 (9)
Defensive Score = 539 (23)
Total Score = 1398 (12)

When I started this exercise I genuinely thought this fella would be higher, but the defensive metric wasn't too kind to him so we see him here at #12. Scoring 110 points or more in each offensive category he is one of the best offensive catalysts in the game today and it's shown with his top 10 offensive score. Defensively he's not quite as impressive with his score falling to 23rd among defensemen over the last 5 seasons, the lowest of the 12 skaters included in this article. By no means a bad defenseman, rather I think it shows how high the bar is to crack this list. A former winner of the Stevens award in S59, just outside the window of this article, he also received a nomination in S60.

#11 - Disisde Dayudie syndicate
Offensive Score = 773 (21)
Defensive Score = 650 (4)
Total Score = 1423 (11)

The first of 2 Syndicate defensemen on this list he is the polar opposite of the previously mentioned Augustus Wang. Offensively speaking Disisde is within the upper tier of defensemen, but with 2 scores below 100 and several more in the low 100's he lagged a bit behind some of the other names on this list, falling to 21st overall. Now on the other side of the puck, this is where he shines. Top 5 in GvA-TkA, CF% and GA/60 he managed to finish as the 4th strongest defenseman in terms of defensive score. Slap those two together and you get the 11th best defenseman over the last 5 seasons. While never a nominee for the Stevens, he has made some noise in the Biscuit discussion each season, including earning a nomination in S62.

#10 - Guy O'Shea Steelhawks
Offensive Score = 876 (4)
Defensive Score = 548 (20)
Total Score = 1424 (10)

The first of 3 Steelhawks (or 2 current Steelhawks) is Guy O'Shea. Offensively speaking he finds himself within the top 5, finishing with 119 or more in each of the 7 offensive categories, but defensively speaking he lags a bit behind sitting at 20 with 4 scores south of 100. Spoiler alert, his teammates for 4 of the 5 seasons are also on this list and sit higher, however they are line mates so the fact that Guy managed to crack this list driving his own pairing is rather impressive. Very much a fantasy staple each season, he hasn't received the awards recognition yet, but he hasn't been hammered with the heavy regression quite yet so the window is still open to make some noise in the awards department.

#9 - Jonas Kahnwald Panthers
Offensive Score = 871 (6)
Defensive Score = 561 (17)
Total Score = 1432 (9)

The second name on this list to not garner any awards attention is the first of two Panthers blueliners, Jonas Kahnwald. Jonas is an absolute weapon offensively speaking earning 120 points or more in every category, except plus/minus where he earned 107. His defensive score drags him down a bit, especially his GvA-TkA totals (64 points), but unlike the previously mentioned O'Shea its not quite as impactful and that's why he finds himself 1 slot higher in the pecking order.

#8 - Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebrunette Steelhawks
Offensive Score = 738 (29)
Defensive Score = 705 (1)
Total Score = 1443 (8)

If we were to bold and underline the word defense in defenseman this would be your winner here. The top guy in terms of defensive score, he was the only guy to crack 700, finishing with a score of at least 117 in all 6 categories except block shots where he finished with a lowly 74. Probably because Hamilton is often at the other end of the ice. He's been recognized for this as well earning 2 Bojo Biscuit trophy nominations, once in S60 and again in S62. The reason he's down here at #8 though is because there is an offensive portion to this score and offensively speaking Mr. Luc-Pierre isn't quite on the same level as these other guys. Just inside the top 30, and the lowest among these 12 skaters, he only cracked 100 points or more in 3 of the 7 categories. He was however top 5 in +/- and GF/60. Needless to say he knew his role and played it well.

#7 - Hugh Jazz Steelhawks Stars
Offensive Score = 865 (8)
Defensive Score = 602 (12)
Total Score = 1497 (7)

The other half of Hamilton's fearsome top pairing (unless Guy O'Shea slots in with LPLL? The +/- rating suggests it's Jazz) is the prank Sinatra himself, Hugh Jazz.  Top 10 in goals, assists, points, plus/minus and GF/60 he is the spear to Luc-Pierre's shield. A fantasy favorite, he's been recognized for his offensive contributions earning back to back nominations for the Scott Stevens trophy in S60, S61, both times losing to players we find higher in this list coincidently. Defensively he isn't quite as strong, his 12th overall position falls behind all 6 skaters ahead of him in this list. Scoring 101 or greater in most categories, he lagged behind significantly in blocked shots (for similar reasons as Luc-Pierre) and GvA-TkA.

#6 - Akira Ren syndicate
Offensive Score = 867 (7)
Defensive Score = 623 (8)
Total Score = 1490 (6)

The spear to Disisde's shield, Akira Ren has emerged as one of the premier offensive defensemen over the last 5 seasons. With 104 points or more in each of the 7 offensive categories he led all defensemen in assists and plus/minus, as well as top 5 in points. The difference between Akira and some of the names previous mentioned on this list is that his offensive prowess doesn't come at the expense of his defensive responsibility. Finishing with 113 points or more in 4 of the 6 categories he is one of the best defensemen on both sides of the puck. The awards committee seems to agree as well with Akira earning a Scott Stevens nomination in S62 and winning the Stevens in S63.

#5 - Nicholas Owens Stampede
Offensive Score = 879 (3)
Defensive Score = 616 (10)
Total Score = 1495 (5)

With 117 or more in each offensive category he is truly an offensive force. He doesn't quite crack the top 5 in any of those categories which is why he's at 3 and not 2 or 1, but he's still incredibly consist over the last 5 seasons. Defensively he's equally impressive with 114 points or more in 4 of the 6 categories, but again not quite cracking the top 5. A Scott Stevens trophy winner in S60, I think we would've seen his name a few more times if not for the fact he had to compete with other worthy nominees on his team including the previously mentioned Augustus Wang.

#4 - Samuel Michaud Steelhawks Forge
Offensive Score = 850 (10)
Defensive Score = 647 (5)
Total Score = 1497 (4)

The former Steelhawk turned Forge player, the transition appears to have paid off nicely for him, or at least in terms of this article. Sitting at #4 he finds himself above all 3 of his former Steelhawk teammates that also landed on this list. Offensively speaking he's ones of the most productive players in this league finishing with a score of 109 or greater in each offensive category, including top 5 in goals and points. When we move to the other side of the puck he's equally impressive if not more so, and that's why he's up here at #4. With 100 or more points in each defensive category, except defensive game rating (75), he is one of the more well rounded names we see on this list. He's a safe pick every year in fantasy and he has 1 Steven's nomination to his name as well coming in S60.

#3 - Emilia Bergman Stampede
Offensive Score = 874 (5)
Defensive Score = 628 (7)
Total Score = 1502 (3)

The first of 3 players to crack the elite 1500 point plateau. I thought he could go as high as #1 when I sat down to do this, but 3rd is a worthy spot too. Top 10 in goals, assists, points, +/-, shots on goal and CF% he is arguably the most productive defenseman on this list, but his low(er) offensive game rating (51st overall) dragged his offensive score down to 5th best in the league. I know game rating is kind of a useless "stat" in the SHL, but for the purposes of comparing these skaters I feel it's a relevant one, especially when used along with 7 other ones. A fixture on the Stampede blue line, he's selected by every fantasy group each season. Awards wise he secured the Scott Stevens trophy in S62 beating out the previously mentioned Akira Ren for the honors.

#2 - Keith Lee Panthers
Offensive Score = 829 (13)
Defensive Score = 680 (2)
Total Score = 1509 (2)

This one surprised me, I won't lie. I knew Lee would very likely find himself inside the top 10 when I sat down to do this, but I didn't think he'd be so close to the top of the pile. His offensive stats are good finishing 14th in goals, 6th in points and 6th in shots on goal to name a few, but he is a significant margin below some of the other names on this list, which can be seen by the fact he has the 3rd worst offensive score among these 12 defensemen . So how did he find himself at #2? Well offense is only half the role of a defenseman and when it comes to defense Mr. Lee is 2nd overall and the best among these 12 skaters listed that managed to crack the 1500 plateau. His best stats were GvA-TkA (11th) and defensive game rating (6th) and he managed to score 100 points or more in each of the 6 defensive categories. As is the case with many of this list he has seen his name in the awards race over the last 5 seasons, winning the Scott Stevens trophy for best defenseman in S61. Based on where he landed I'm a bit surprised he hasn't made more noise in the awards department, but it does explain why he's so heavily valued in fantasy each season.

#1 - Adam Barron Stars Platoon
Offensive Score = 890 (1)
Defensive Score = 631 (6)
Total Score = 1521 (1)

When I started this exercise I had two names in my mind that I thought would likely come out on top. The first was Bergman and the second was this guy, Adam Barron. The big standout here is he is the top offensive defenseman in the league over the last 5 seasons, finishing top 5 in assists, points and shots on goal. His lowest score across the 7 offensive categories was 117 (18th in goals) so ya he was an offensive juggernaut. I thought perhaps the defensive score would hamper him, but he did well there too, finishing with 97 or more points in every category outside of TkA-GvA where he scored 83. Much like the previously mentioned Lee, Adam is a household name in the fantasy department, but as far as awards go it's pretty quiet over the last 5 seasons outside of the 1 lone Biscuit nomination in S61. S63 was actually an award worthy season for him, but his teammate and line mate Teddy Murphy outshone him just enough to earn the nomination instead.

Honorable Mention: Adam Scianna Renegades
Offensive Score = 882 (2)
Defensive Score = 494 (40)
Total Score = 1376 (14)

The "6th forward award" so to speak, Adam is an absolute machine offensively, finishing 2nd among all defenders in the offensive score department, including #1 in goals, #2 in shots and #3 in points. If this was purely an offensive ranking he'd easily crack the list. Sadly as a defenseman he does have room for improvement on the other side of the puck. The most glaring hole is his 135th rank in GvA-TkA, or in other words the worst of all defensemen over the last 5 seasons (who have played 100 games).

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

A very good read indeed! Love it

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

Good stuff, nice to see this kind of content

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

:0 yo I made it

Great write up, really enjoyed this one!

Not even top 10 sadge

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

Very cool article!

I'd like to mention I cracked the top 100.

Class S55
Reincarnated- Class S71

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: uNh8ZtE.png]

I can't believe I'm not on this list.

Seriously though, great article. Love stuff like this.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2022, 07:43 AM by charlieconway. Edited 1 time in total.)

This was a great read! Always like keeping up with the D in the league.

S50 is well represented on the list, and there's also Bjorn Leppanen and Ursin Zimmerman that didn't make the cut but still play (or played) at a high level.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

Great read! We miss Barron in  Stars now.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

thanks everyone! perhaps I'll try goalies next time.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride