Create Account

S64 Championship Week

Task 1 - Trivia (+3)

Verification

Task 7 - Milestones (+2)

Claim

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2022, 01:29 PM by RomanesEuntDomus. Edited 3 times in total.)

Quote:Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Help

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?
b. Chicago's lineup much more active with their sticks than Atlanta's, racking up 97 takeaways to Atlanta's 79. This late in the playoffs, how do you adjust to a team that's so adept at picking your pocket?
c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series?
d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?

a. Well it's obviously too late now but my money would have been on Chicago. With the recent parity troubles it's just foolish not to bet on the favorite. The recent changes that will hopefully change things for the better and breed more real competition in the near future, but we aren't quite there yet.
b. I don't think there is too much you can do about it from a tactical standpoint, you just have to be disciplined, play a strong physical game and not be afraid to lose the puck even if your opponent is very good at taking it away for you. Being afraid of losing the puck is worse than actually losing it sometimes, so just keep your confidence up, keep making confident plays and deal with the backcheck when necessary,
c. Discipline will play a big role for sure but I think we are dealing with two very disciplined team here, so I don't expect this factor to be a problem for either one of them. Atlantas PIM-stat is very impressive though, given that they are a team who had to fight hard all playoffs and wasn't exactly the favorite in most of their series, being able to still win in such a clean fashion is a great feat.
d. I think ultimately the more balanced approach is the superior one and you will ultimately just overwhelm the other team with your firepower if you have great talent distributed throughout your entire line-up. But I'm sure Atlanta would actually agree with me and would do the same if they could, they just don't have the players for that.

3. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Four Star Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Newfoundland has gotten 25 points in 11 games from two of their top D, Rand al'Thor and Mikko Rashford. If you're Quebec's coach, how do you adjust to Newfoundland having guys on the blue line that are just as offensively dangerous as the wingers?
b. Quebec has three players shooting 20% or better in Bertrand, Utah, and Kidd. If you're the Newfoundland defense, how do you find a way to bottle up three forwards that can't seem to miss the back of the net?
c. Looking at each teams' PDO, we see that Quebec is riding a bit of a hot streak while Newfoundland has actually been a bit unlucky. Do you think this a is a good thing for either team? Is Newfoundland bound to find some luck, or are they going to get stuck in a rut? Is Quebec going to come back down to Earth, or did they get hot at the right time?
d. Newfoundland has appeared in all 4 of the last SMJHL finals and won 3 of them. Quebec, a consistently strong presence in the SMJHL, has a lot of playoff success behind them as well, having won several series since their last 4 Star in S58. How do you approach this series mentally on either side? If you're Newfoundland, are you worried your streak can't last forever? If you're Quebec, do you fear that you can't take down a goliath?

a. Not to take anything away from these guys, they are obviously great players, but I do think their stats are a bit inflated from the fact that they are playing on easily the most dominant team in the league. Being on a team that dominates play so much both gives them the opportunity to pick up easy assists just by passing the puck along as the team controls play in the offensive zone, and they also have more freedoms to jump into the play offensively than Defensemen on most other teams.
b. Just keep on doing what you've been doing all season. Shooting at that high of an percentage means that these players did get lucky in the playoffs so far, which likely isn't sustainable. And even if it is, Newfoundland has so much talent, if they just play to their strengths as they have done in the 70+ games of the season so far, they will be the favorites.
c. -
d, I don't think there will be any fear on Newfoundlands side, the game has clearly favored the powerhouse teams in recent years and there is no more dominant powerhouse in either the SHL or the SMJHL over the last few seasons than the Berserkers. They will be playing with all the Confidence in the world and QCC won't have much of a choice than to embrace the underdog role.

Quote:5. Written, 3 TPE, Cup Check (150 words min.)
Which league has the more prestigious cup in your opinion, the SHL or the SMJHL? Which cup is harder to win? A lot is said about the different skill sets required to GM in each league, so which do you personally think is tougher to manage? Is a trophy case with three Four Star Cups as cool as a trophy case with three Challenge Cups? Maybe you think it’s even cooler. Why?

I have a lot of respect for the SMJHL and all the people that make it what it is, but this one has to be the SHL and the Challenge Cup. Is it just so much harder to win and so many more things have to go right for you to even be able to have a shot at it, and then you are likely still facing multiple stacked teams full of superstars and with some of the best tactical minds in the league behind the helm. The SHL has some absolute juggernaut teams and many great players never even get a real shot at the comp because the timing is never quite right for the teams they are on. The cup window in the SHL might be a bit bigger than in the SMJHL but with rebuilds getting longer and longer, it's quite easy to miss our on your cup window altogether - making it even more special for those players who do manage to win one.

Quote:7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. Just link your Milestone claim below this task for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3208921 +3

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

P
A
S

S
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 12:12 PM by marco999. Edited 3 times in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification Word: kaapo

+3 TPE

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching it's first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?
b. Chicago's lineup much more active with their sticks than Atlanta's, racking up 97 takeaways to Atlanta's 79. This late in the playoffs, how do you adjust to a team that's so adept at picking your pocket?
c. Atlanta has only 32 penalty minutes in these playoffs compared to Chicago's 45. With emotions high and the Challenge Cup on the line, do you think discipline will play a big role in this series?
d. Similar to last season's finals, we see Chicago running a balanced ice-time attack against Atlanta's targeted approach that has some players seeing sheltered minutes. Last season the more balanced attack won out. Do you think we'll see the same again? Why or why not?

a) It sorta feels like cheating because the finals is almost over, but my answer would have been the same. I would bet on the Chicago Syndicate to win the Challenge Cup. They were heads above everyone this season and have been on fire for the past few seasons. It only makes sense to bet on the heavy favorite, it's still the SHL after all

64 words

b)I would say it's best to keep it simple. There's no need for tricky plays or try to be flashy. Stick with fundamentals and what you know best and it will drastically decrease your chances of giving the puck away. It also helps to play physical and along the boards so they have less chance of getting the puck from you.

61 words

c) In my opinion, discipline plays a big role in any series, whether it's in the first round or in the finals. You can't expect to win a series if you're spending half the game trying to kill penalties. That is especially true if your top 6 forwards are playing on the penalty kill, because they'll tire themselves on the PK and will have less 5on5 ice time.

67 words

d) I would say we'll see the balanced attack win again, yes. Not only because I picked the Chicago Syndicate to win it all in the end, but because it's a big ask to keep playing the same players a lot in such a short amount of time against the best team in the SHL in S64. It's a tough matchup and it helps if all the team can participate.

69 words

+4 TPE

Code:
3. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Four Star Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Newfoundland has gotten 25 points in 11 games from two of their top D, Rand al'Thor and Mikko Rashford. If you're Quebec's coach, how do you adjust to Newfoundland having guys on the blue line that are just as offensively dangerous as the wingers?
b. Quebec has three players shooting 20% or better in Bertrand, Utah, and Kidd. If you're the Newfoundland defense, how do you find a way to bottle up three forwards that can't seem to miss the back of the net?
c. Looking at each teams' PDO, we see that Quebec is riding a bit of a hot streak while Newfoundland has actually been a bit unlucky. Do you think this a is a good thing for either team? Is Newfoundland bound to find some luck, or are they going to get stuck in a rut? Is Quebec going to come back down to Earth, or did they get hot at the right time?
d. Newfoundland has appeared in all 4 of the last SMJHL finals and won 3 of them. Quebec, a consistently strong presence in the SMJHL, has a lot of playoff success behind them as well, having won several series since their last 4 Star in S58. How do you approach this series mentally on either side? If you're Newfoundland, are you worried your streak can't last forever? If you're Quebec, do you fear that you can't take down a goliath?

a) Every defensemen who is as good as that on offense will surely have some defensive flaws, just look at Erik Karlsson as an example. I'd say put the pressure on them, let them turnover the puck and try to exploit their defensive weaknesses. It's not a good strategy to lay back and hope they don't do anything. Confront them and try to exploit their weaknesses.

65 words

b) I'll start to sound like a broken record, but confront them! Bully them physically and, play rough with them in the corners. Make them regret to come into the slot for high quality shots. If you're shooting 20%, you're not shooting from the blue line, you have some high quality chances. So defend the slot like crazy and hit them on sight to decrease their shooting percentage.

67 words

c) I am fifty-fifty on this issue. While momentum can carry a team to wonderful things, it reaches a limit at one point. Newfoundland made it to the finals and they have been a bit unlucky ? That's a scary sight for the Citadelles if the Newfoundland Berserkers can finally play up to their potential. I think it's not even questionable that Newfoundland will win this series, so in the end, Quebec's hot streak won't matter,

74 words

d)It makes me laugh when people say there's no parity in the SHL when the SMJHL is even worse. Newfoundland will win this final series like they won in the past and it won't even be close. I feel bad for Quebec, because they have a good team and had a solid season, but there's nothing you can do about Newfoundland in the J and that's the unfortunate truth.

69 words

+4 TPE

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. Just link your Milestone claim below this task for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestones Link

+3 TPE

Code:
17. Written, 2 TPE, Substitute Teacher (100 words min.)
Hello! I am 11 years old, and as a part of the SHL Community Outreach Program– you, a famous hockey player, have to teach my Geography class in 15 minutes! You have to tell me and my classmates a couple of fun facts about your player’s IIHF country! Jump on Wikipedia or whatever and search up something weird or fun about where your player is from that I wouldn’t know! Get wacky, or get scholarly for all I care! Maybe you’ll actually learn something cool!

Hello there! I'm from Finland, which is a Northern European country, bordered by Sweden to the northwest, North and Russia to the East, all fierce IIFH rivals! It's widely known as one of the best place to live on Earth and not just because of the saunas! Most of our country is covered by a boreal forest biome and it is truly beautiful. Enough about the academia chatter, let's talk about the funniest fact about Finland. Many people actually believe Finland doesn't exist! It's a popular conspiracy theory that Finland was made up by the Japanese and the Soviet Union during the Cold War to keep a good fishing spot for themselves. Since they say there's a country on it, no one will think of fishing in the sea! I think this theory is crazy! Let me know what you think!

Kaapo Kampainen

143 words

+2 TPE

Total TPE: 16/16

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

Code:

Sad

3/16 TPE

Code:

I would go with the experience because the Syndicate have so much experience winning whether it is past championships with their veterans or even their younger players are used to playing in big games and have experience going deep into the playoffs. I think this will be a great experience for the Atlanta franchise which will help guide them in the future to winning the Challenge Cup. (67 Words)

I would say just start playing physical and just grind them down and also shoot the puck a lot. Trying to get to fancy and cute in the offensive zone won’t work against the active sticks of the Syndicate. You have to grind down their defenseman and test their goalie. They have a strong defensive system and you have to shoot because as they say you miss the shots you don’t take. (70 Words)

I do not think discipline will a play a role in this series. The Syndicate play defensive hockey and had some tough matchups to their cup run. The Syndicate have strong rivalry’s from all their winning. I also do not believe the difference in minutes between these two teams is that big if I am being honest. (57 Words)

I think it will be the same especially because Chicago Syndicate’s type of attack and strong defensive play. I think having sheltered minute’s players on the ice is risky against the balanced attack because it only takes a few minutes for a game to turn and the momentum shift. If your sheltered players get caught out even once the game can completely change and it could lose you the game.  (70 Words)

7/16 TPE

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Cup Check (150 words min.)
Which league has the more prestigious cup in your opinion, the SHL or the SMJHL? Which cup is harder to win? A lot is said about the different skill sets required to GM in each league, so which do you personally think is tougher to manage? Is a trophy case with three Four Star Cups as cool as a trophy case with three Challenge Cups? Maybe you think it’s even cooler. Why?
I would say the most prestigious cup is the Challenge Cup for obvious reasons as the Challenge Cup is what most players are after. It is pretty hard to win although these days it appears easier if you on certain teams which is a whole different story. I would almost argue the Four Star Cup is harder to win especially because teams change season to season pretty significantly and the majority the teams are similar talent wise so at some point it because all about tactics or randomness. Although it appears the Four Star Cup has been dominated by certain teams recently as well but that is a whole different story. I think one difference for being a General Manager in each league is the fact one you have to think shorter term and you have a certain window with a group of draftees. In the SMJHL you have so many moving parts and one season you need to draft a whole team and others you only need like two players. I feel like it would be cooler to have three challenge cups but that’s just me although having 3 Four star cups would mean you were pretty dominant. 

(195 Words)

10/16 TPE

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3208976
13/16 TPE

Code:
15. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Hype (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Do you think the same teams will be on top this year, or are we due for some turnover? How are you feeling about your country’s chances this time? Any players that you think will light up the tournament?

I think this season will similar to the previous seasons with some of the same teams being at the top. The top will consist of Team Sweden, Team Japan, Team USA, and Team Canada again. Teams like Germany, Great Britain, and Finland will be in that second type tier who could also win if things go their win.  I feel like next season’s IIHF tournament will have a lot more turnover play wise and team wise due to retirements. I feel like Great Britain has a decent chance of doing good things. They have had some big losses player wise in recent seasons but they have brought in some good young players. I could see Great Britain being more dominant in a season or two but they seem to be on a good path so far.  I think you will see the likes of Ryu Jones and Jimmy Wagner at the top of the leaderboards again as those two are still in their prime and Ryu Jones is coming off leading the SHL.
(170 Words)

16/16 TPE

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 12:11 PM by Seymour. Edited 7 times in total.)

WSBL PT

Code:

Code:

Beans

Code:

Code:

Bean Beanman Milestone 

Code:

Code:
13. Graphic, 2 TPE, Put a Ring On It
No, this task isn’t going away yet. I’ve decided it can stay… for now. Design a championship ring for either team, you may use the fancy ring site. Here's a link: https://designer.trophysmack.com/productdesigner/index/index/id/97/template/MTUz/cid/MzMwMDA2MzU2Mjk2Mjk=
RING BABY

Code:

Code:
17. Written, 2 TPE, Substitute Teacher (100 words min.)
Hello! I am 11 years old, and as a part of the SHL Community Outreach Program– you, a famous hockey player, have to teach my Geography class in 15 minutes! You have to tell me and my classmates a couple of fun facts about your player’s IIHF country! Jump on Wikipedia or whatever and search up something weird or fun about where your player is from that I wouldn’t know! Get wacky, or get scholarly for all I care! Maybe you’ll actually learn something cool!
Well lucky for you little 11 year old child, I come from the greatest country in the world, Canada. A fun fact about Canada that you would understand is Canada is bigger than the entire European Union (33 times bigger than Italy and 15 times bigger than France), more than 30 percent larger than Australia, five times as big as Mexico, three times as big as India and about the same size as 81,975 Walt Disney Worlds put together. That is a lot of Walt Disney worlds, imagine how many mickey mouses that could fit into Canada. Well 11 year old I hope that teaches you something about Canada.

Code:

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Recovery
Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, you’ve gotta' find time to heal up some of the injuries you’ve earned over the season. Show me your player doing their favourite relaxation or resting routine, whether it’s for physical wear-and-tear or mental exhaustion, how do you fix yourself up?

Bean gets a dog to help relax.

16/16

[Image: geRnYPO.png][Image: 0S9kFQ6.png]
Shout out Ragnarr for these two amazing sigs
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2022, 01:10 AM by fever95. Edited 3 times in total.)

1. fever +3
7. S64 Milestones +3
8. [Image: S64-CW-1.png] +3
13. [Image: S64-CW-2.png] +2
19. [Image: S64-CW-3.png] +3
ISFL Affiliation +3

[Image: fever95.gif]
[Image: LpkqUbe.gif]

PREVIOUS PLAYER STATISTICS
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2022, 12:42 PM by TacocaT 2. Edited 7 times in total.)

Task #7

SMJHL Milestones

Task #1

Tacos
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 05:04 PM by Nike. Edited 8 times in total.)

Code:
Nike
+3

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Origin Story (150 words min.)
Everyone wants the Challenge cup… but how did it get here? Tell me the origin story of the Challenge Cup! Where did it come from? Who paid for it? Who forged it? What did it look like in Season 1 vs. now in Season 64? Has it changed a lot? Maybe it has been damaged?
Of course everyone wants the Challenge Cup, it is the best trophy in sorts. Have you seen the challenge cup? It has hundreds of fake hockey player names plastered all over it. And while most would think that the trophy looks similar to the national hockey league’s Stanley Cup, it doesn’t at all. Instead, the Challenge Cup looks a lot more akin to a traffic cone than a traditional trophy. It is a long and tapered item. And instead of names being engraved on the side of it, instead they are hand scripted by a small dwarf that the SHL has held captive since its inception. Really, it is quite impressive calligraphy if you think about it. Over the years, the trophy has not changed much at all. In fact, the only change that you can see from the original is that it now has even more names written on it and there are some semblances of mold in cervices because the league office has a bit of a mildew problem and nobody really cleans the damn thing.
+3

Code:
The more prestigious cup in the simulation hockey universe is still the Challenge Cup. And while the Four Star Cup has improved its position in the ranks over the course of the last few years, it still cannot compete. There were times when the North West Junior Hockey League was the major junior league in the SHL. And there weren’t nearly the number of teams in the NWJHL as there are in the SMJHL. And the competition was not nearly as fierce as it is today either. The history of some of the older junior teams is just simply not as impressive. And while any championship is really difficult to win, none is more difficult than the Challenge Cup. The road to the finals is grueling, the tactical requirements from management are fierce and there is no easy victory. Anybody who says that they would prefer a Four Star over a Challenge Cup just isn’t being honest with themselves. The Challenge Cup is harder to win and has the more prestigious history.
+3

Code:
6. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Team 150 words min
You have to create the perfect SHL or SMJHL line for your player to be on. Who do you put on your line and why? Is it something about their style of play that compliments yours? Does it only include players from the present, or do you dip into the past to find an incredible D pair? Or are you just choosing your friends ‘cause they’d be fun to win the cup with?
The perfect SHL defensive pairing already existed, however it has been many seasons since it last roamed the ice. In Season 22, Chuck Goody and Roy Razin were the top pair for the Challenge Cup winning Manhattan Rage. Manhattan had never been to and emerged victorious from a Challenge Cup in Season 22, but these two work horse blueliners lead that team to the promised land. Razin is established as one of the top scoring defenseman of all time and is arguably the most decorated Rage defenseman of all time. Goody himself also managed a Stevens Trophy and found himself elected to the SHL Hall of Fame not longer after his retirement. This pair was tough to play against in all of the minutes they shared the ice together. They were tough, they were tight on gaps and they were always a threat to join in the offensive rush and create an impact on the game. Not to mention, they were two terrific leaders to a Rage franchise that needed it. Putting that defensive pair back out there with my player today would be glorious. For the sake of conversation, Kickz Jr. will play center and be flanked by these two greats to see how they achieve as a forward group.
+3

Code:
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3209157
+1

Code:
20. Written, 3 TPE, Ruthless Capitalist (150 words min.)
Someone that looks like the Monopoly guy just gave you two million dollars and a two year deadline to make the SHL a growing and profitable business. What do you do with that seed money to make this an online platform that facilitates you milking as much money as possible from the users? ALTERNATIVELY, if you don’t want to be malicious, what would you do with 2 million dollars to improve the site and make it the best sim league in the world?
Two million dollars is a lot of money to waste on a website that is likely never going to be a profitable business, but hey I am happy to give it a shot. We know that one of the easiest ways to generate revenue as an online platform is to find ways to generate clicks and views for advertising revenue. So, we use our money to manufacture whatever the next fad thing is, like fidget spinners or live strong bracelets. And while driving the traffic to our site for those purchases is up and running, we will convince all of our existing members that this is the next big thing. So, we will start to manipulate the market by pricing our first units at an extreme real life price and promise those hungry TPE loving SHL players that their first purchase comes with an additional 15 TPE. Honestly, we probably won’t even need advertising revenue by selling TPE to these poor shmucks, they’ll do just about anything for a few points. Before I know it, that two million dollars has turned into ten million and I’m off to the beach in Barbados.
+3

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification Word: Youp

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE, Origin Story (150 words min.)
Everyone wants the Challenge cup… but how did it get here? Tell me the origin story of the Challenge Cup! Where did it come from? Who paid for it? Who forged it? What did it look like in Season 1 vs. now in Season 64? Has it changed a lot? Maybe it has been damaged?

Let's be honest here, any award in the history of sports has been pooped in or on. That's just the way it is. Think about that before you eat anything out of it, honestly. I know they clean it, but how well can they truy clean those fecal particles?

I was here from the beginning, I know where the Challenge Cup comes from. It was sometime in the early 2010s and a man on a boat came ashore with a long, white beard and one nice mug in his hand. He had a pipe in his mouth too, though I don't think it matters, just adds character to the story. Anyway, he said something about what year is it, and he's been out to sea since 1743 and this is the only thing he has left to his name and he isn't sure why he's still alive.

For the most part, we were really freaked out by the apparent ghost/zombie that washed ashore. However, beyond that, it was a really cool mug. So we pushed him into the water and took the mug, painted it silver and from there started building on it as a trophy. Everyone wanted this mug, it was really nice, and it brought competition from everywhere to try and win it. And from there, the SHL was born and we competed for the Challenge Cup every year. Some say that didn't happen, I say you weren't there, shut up.

Quote:Word Count: 244

Quote:5. Written, 3 TPE, Cup Check (150 words min.)

Does it count if I just laugh for 150 words?

Come on now. There's a reason it's the SHL. There is a reason you spend like 4 seasons in the SMJHL but like 15 in the SHL. This league is built on the professional league, not the junor league, and honestly I am sick and tired of people acting like the J matters. It is a vehicle to get people from point A to point B. It is not a prestigious monument. It is not this amazing place to dedicate yourself to. The Challenge Cup is the epitome of sim sports, personally, and even if you don't agree with that, there is no way that a trophy won with capped TPE players is more prestigious or valuable than the big leagues and there is nothing anybody can say to prove that otherwise to me.

You put in all of this work to win the Challenge Cup, but yeah the first few seasons of your career are the magic for you. Who cares at that point, eh?

Quote:Word Count: 176

Quote:6. Written, 3 TPE, Dream Team 150 words min
You have to create the perfect SHL or SMJHL line for your player to be on. Who do you put on your line and why? Is it something about their style of play that compliments yours? Does it only include players from the present, or do you dip into the past to find an incredible D pair? Or are you just choosing your friends ‘cause they’d be fun to win the cup with?

If I'm able to make a dream team of players from all of history to work with, there's some clear favorites for me. The key for me being the attachments I've had to these players across time. I could go with someone like Luke Atmey, who was a superb, budding superstar with the Manhattan Rage just as I took over as general manager. I could grab someone like Kyle Keenan, who became a star with the Edmonton Blizzard as the co-GM there during my tenure as their goaltender. I could see grabbing someone like Jed Mosley, or Lucas Smith from those old Blizzard teams also.

Personally, as I make the transition to defense, I would love to partner up with Jakub Aittokallio's best friend -- Teemu Nurmi. I know, Oliver Cleary was a better player in many ways. But Nurmi holds a special place in our hearts in a way that I don't think anybody could ever surpass. He would be the easiest pick to make and the most natural fit of all time.

Quote:Word Count: 173

Quote:7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

SMJHL Milestones

Quote:16. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!

Easy, tradition. My name is Aittokallio, man. Of course I play for Finland!

From S13, this family has been a mainstay in the nation of Finland and it will continue to remain that way. I have never considered another path, and I don't think I ever will. This is the fourth player of mine to play in Finland, and the legacy is important at this point. Even though it's been a long time since we've won, it's something that I need to attach to and help to drive home. It is a point of pride for me that I selected from the outset here.

Part of it comes to just who I selected to copy my player from. Back in 2012, the Colorado Avalanche had a goalie prospect named Sami Aittokallio, and I liked the name so I bought into it. I took his last name, I took his hometown and I committed hard to it. And now the family has grown, and I think I would never be able to let it go.

Quote:Word Count: 174

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2022, 01:40 AM by NJBadApple.)

S64 Milestones:
Claiming 3TPE

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max
Verification: applepie

The goal for every player is clearly to make it to the SHL and to win the Challenge Cup, there's really no denying that, but there's certainly an argument to be made that the Four Star is more prestigious. You can only spend four seasons in juniors now with the new rule being implemented, so that becomes a huge hurdle for someone trying to win a cup; regardless of how good you or your team might be, your window is still very limited. On the other side of the argument, you have plenty of time in the SHL to win a Challenge Cup (depending how long your career lasts). However, there's far more lobbying for spots in the playoffs, since there's twice as many teams you're fighting against (20 instead of the 10 you see in juniors). My personal opinion? I think three Four Stars is more impressive than three Challenge Cups, just because you can't fight the short window one has to earn one.

Code:
Words: 150+

16. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
It's actually a pretty straight forward answer; I've made my player Irish. On a more personal note, I recently found out that I'm actually upwards of 40% Irish through genetic testing, which actually isn't that surprising, but the sheer AMOUNT of it is pretty eye-opening. So I've been on a quest to find out more about my actual heritage, and figured why not make my player Irish along the way? Also, more along the lines of the SHL, I remember there was an old school glory days of Team Ireland absolutely dominating the IIHF and wanted to help bring that back, so it's nice to see it gain some traction.

Code:
Words: 100+

20. Written, 3 TPE, Ruthless Capitalist (150 words min.)
So it's actually a pretty funny conversation that has happened multiple times over the history of the site; should it be monotized? I think the absolute most reckless thing you could do to the SHL with two million dollars is make some sort of "TPE for money" exchange. This would instantly make this a pay-to-win type of league, and completely take the grind and enjoyment out of the league. On the opposite end of the spectrum, what's the most beneficial thing you could do for the SHL with two million dollars? A direct affiliation with the NHL, without question. This would build a very wide bridge with the NHL, allowing for a huge influx of users and even possible interaction with the players themselves. I think this would also allow the SHL to grow into an actual business, in the sense that you could use affiliation profits to hire people to run the forums / teams / sims full-time.

Code:
Words: 150+

22. Written, 2 TPE, Be Nice (100 words min.)
First I want to give thanks to the GM's on Maine, @Toast and @KaleSalad . They took a chance on me late in the draft two seasons ago and have had a great time with the Timber so far, looking forward to a cup run in my final junior's season. Then I would like to say thank you to the GM of my future home team in Montreal, @CampinKiller . I've never been drafted high my entire time in the SHL, so going 4th OA was a pretty big shock and I'm grateful he has that much faith in me. Also a big shout out to the entire bank team, I feel like they don't get much love but they seem on top of it most of the time.

Code:
Words: 100+

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

GM CW Pass

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Code:

Camel    - +3 TPE

Code:
Well, I think it's pretty obvious how things turned out now, but going into the finals I really believed in us in the ATL locker room. I was honestly just happy we got past the first round (let alone give a sweep to get revenge on TBB after the reverse sweep last playoffs).

WC: 53 +1 TPE

Code:

+3 TPE Claim

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through your terrible time management skills, you’ve unlocked a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Did anything stand out to you about this season’s final series?
The Chicago Syndicate have won it all, yet again. The playoffs were definitely not as I expected this season. The fact that ATL managed to make it to the finals was both extremely surprising and extremely fun to be a part of. San Francisco Pride making it to the Western finals was also a pretty big surprise. It's nice to finally see the "core 4" teams that dominated the league for so long finally start to decline some so we can see some fresh new teams make headway. The changes that were made to regression last season really seem to be shaking up the usual SHL formula for the better.

WC: 110 +2 TPE

Code:
21. Written / Graphic, 3 TPE, Epic Loot (150 words min.)
A hockey gear manufacturer has developed a substance called “Materia” that allows them to imbue hockey gear with incredibly powerful abilities. They’ve come to you to ask for your endorsement, and to help you design your own piece of magical hockey gear. What piece of gear do you design? What do you make it look like? Is it an unassuming piece of equipment that can fly under the radar, or do you go for some wild steampunk thing? What insane magical bonuses and benefits does it give you? ALTERNATIVELY for a graphic task, show me your player wearing the piece of gear you designed! Show how its power is benefiting them.
Introducing, from the legendary hockey gear designer Paul Binder, the Materia Buster stick. It's just a normal hockey stick, but insanely wide. Think like 3 times as wide as a goalie stick. People see it and think "what in the actual hell is the point of that, how can you do anything?" And they're not wrong, it's not for everybody. But once you get your hands on it and get used to it, you'll noticed that along the shaft there are small colorful little materia orbs slotted that can be swapped out for whatever you desire. These can give you a harder shot, a more accurate shot, faster skating speed, whatever your heart desires you can get designed. There is rumor that another stick design is in the works. This one is the same width as a regular hockey stick, but about 9 feet long. It's still in its concept and design phase to ensure it's actually usable and doesn't just look cool.

WC: 163 +3 TPE

Code:
22. Written, 2 TPE, Be Nice (100 words min.)
I’ve seen this prompt used from time to time and I think the end of my first full season as PT director is as good of a time as any. Use this 100 words to give a compliment to someone in the community that you appreciate! Whether it’s a friend, a GM, a PT director, or one of those amazing folks that designed the card website– try to make someone smile with some kind words!
/ gets all sappy time. Honestly everyone in the ATL locker room has been an absolute treasure to talk to. When I first joined the SHL I was like "okay so is this gonna be one of those weird discord servers where everyone on there is the exact opposite of me and it's just an awkward experience?" But no, a few seasons in with the team and every single person on that server has been an absolute pleasure to talk to. When talking to my wife about SHL-related things I've gone from saying "the guys in my hockey discord" to "my friends" and every season that goes by I'm happy I joined on.

WC: 112 +2 TPE

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]

ph

[Image: manh_sig6.png?width=499&height=542][Image: lebedev-sig.gif]

panda

a. Atlanta is a recent expansion team reaching its first finals appearance. Chicago has been a dominant force in the league for a long time now, with their last cup win only seven seasons ago in Season 57. If you're betting on these finals, do you go for the experienced vets in Chicago, or the hungry Atlanta first-timers?
b. Chicago's lineup is much more active with their sticks than Atlanta's, racking up 97 takeaways to Atlanta's 79. This late in the playoffs, how do you adjust to a team that's so adept at picking your pocket?

a.)  Whether I am a sentimentalist or a realist, I have to go with Chicago.  I think that the Syndicate’s administration has developed a system to keep the team competitive year after year.  They have a blend of experience and youth which bodes well for the playoffs and the future. As well, Chicago uses a balanced attack, so their eggs are not all in one basket.  They have a number of ways to score.  Atlanta does have significant talent and they very well could be the dark horse that upsets Chicago’s run, but I think experience will prevail.  Of course, there is no accounting for the vagaries of the sim engine.  In reality, anything could happen.

b.)  It is true that if you are having the puck taken away from you that your scoring chances are reduced.  When looking at this statistic, there is more than what meets the eye.  Firstly, Chicago has played 2 more games than has Atlanta.  So a more viable stat would be takeaways per game.  That would be 5.39 for Chicago as compared to 4.94 for the Inferno.  So less than 0.5 takeaways per game difference.  Could this make a difference ?  I think that it could if this series becomes a closely fought affair.  Puck possession will mean a lot if your team has the puck, the other team can not score.

c.)  The comparison between the two teams based on penalty minutes is similar to what I discussed about takeaways.  I think you have to look at penalty minutes per game.  So, that is 2.5 minutes per game for Chicago and 2.0 minutes per game for Atlanta. Also, the number of penalties a team takes may, in part, be influenced by who they play.  What immediately strikes me is that these teams do not take a lot of penalties.  Given the stats that I mentioned, Atlanta woulks have one more power play every two games.  Not a lot !!  Special teams could have an influence on the outcome of this series, but based on what I have discussed, I think the tale will be told in the 5 on 5 play.

d.)  Yes, I can see where Chicago will run a balanced attack as compared to the targeted attack of Atlanta.  Why won’t there be any change?  Well, that is how these teams were designed and how the GM’s chose to deploy their players.  It is way too late to change that at this time.  When a player plays “sheltered minutes”, at some point he will be exposed to the other team's better players.  This is a vulnerability that can be exploited by both teams.  In terms of the +/- ratings, there is not much to choose between these two teams, bearing in mind once more that Chicago has played 2 more playoff games and the quality of the opponents are different in each case.

c. Looking at each teams' PDO, we see that Quebec is riding a bit of a hot streak while Newfoundland has actually been a bit unlucky. Do you think this is a good thing for either team? Is Newfoundland bound to find some luck, or are they going to get stuck in a rut? Is Quebec going to come back down to Earth, or did they get hot at the right time?

a.)  If a team has defenseman that are high scoring and handle the puck a lot, as does Newfoundland, the most effective way to limit their output is to deny them time and space.  This means that Quebec will have to match their best defensive wingers with that pair of defensemen. 

b.)  Essentially the same as the previous answer.  If these guys are shooting at a +20% rate, then you have to limit the number of shots they take. They will still be shooting at a 20% rate, but 20% of 5 shots is a lot better than 20% of 10 shots. Another option is to play guys who have a high shot block rating against players who have a high shooting percentage.  The attempt here would be to limit the number of shots that reach the net.

c.)  I don’t know that short term “hot/cool streaks” will make much of a difference.  What I look at is the goal differential during the regular season.  Here both teams have played the same number of games although not against the same opponents.  Newfoundland has a goal differential of +184, while Quebec's number is +63.  Huge difference !!!

d.)  To be honest, I don’t think that Quebec has the horsepower to slow down the Newfoundland juggernaut.  Using the goal differential again, it appears that Newfoundland is scoring 3 times as many goals as Quebec.  However, there is no accounting for how the sim engine will react to the massive stats assembled by Newfoundland.  Anything can happen.

4. Written, 3 TPE, Origin Story (150 words min.)

As with all prestigious trophies, the Challenge Cup comes with a fabled past.  In the early days of the SHL there was no physical trophy.  The winning team merely had bragging rights until the next playoff season.  Railroad magnate J.R. Booth thought this to be unacceptable for a professional league, and so he donated the Challenge Cup.  Booth commissioned Skye Silver in Northern Scotland to forge a trophy that would be an icon in the world of professional sports.  The Skye Silver artisans came up with the Challenge Cup which looks pretty much as it did back when it was created.  Like the Stanley Cup, over the years, rings have been added to its base in order to inscribe the names of the players on the winning team.  Despite falling off a train and being “forgotten” on the team bus, the Cup has remarkably remained undamaged over the years.  It continues as an icon of sports art.

This is a pretty tough question as each league has its own unique set of challenges.  The SMJHL has a TPA limitation as well as a limited amount of time a player will spend on a particular team before moving on to the the SHL.  The GM’s here have to make relatively short term decisions and understand how variable the team will be from season to season.  The SHL by way of comparison has no TPA limit and so the GM’s must try to attract the best talent possible with an eye to retaining that talent for as long as that player is productive. You may see big trades here if a GM goes all out for a cup win.  But he sacrifices part of the future of the team when doing that.   So, in response to the prompt, I think it is equally hard to win either the Challenge Cup or the Four Stars Cup, although for different reasons.  Winning any cup is rare, there are high TPE players in the VHL who have never even gotten close to a cup.

7. Milestones  2 TPE

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3209465

8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Recovery
Whether you’re in the playoffs or not, you’ve gotta' find time to heal up some of the injuries you’ve earned over the season. Show me your player doing their favourite relaxation or resting routine, whether it’s for physical wear-and-tear or mental exhaustion, how do you fix yourself up?

[Image: 7wAk20rnjKbAW92fNP3Q--Ug61x_8q5QDyFx8LsK...HYaAomM86P]

[Image: Rinky-sig.jpg]