Create Account

SMJHL S65 & S66 Free Agency Waiver Change Announcement

Howdy, everyone.

For S65 and S66, the SMJHL will be testing a new system for Free Agents joining after the Entry Draft but before the Trade Deadline.

For these two seasons, incoming players will go through a waivers system based on the previous season's reverse regular season standings. Teams may talk to users after their player is approved and decide if they are a good fit for their team. If a team wishes to claim a player off the Free Agency Waivers they will message SMJHL HO in their team channel. After 24 hours have passed since the player's approval the team with the highest waivers priority claims the player and automatically signs the free agent to a $1mil cap hit with a $2m HO bonus for the player, and then the team moves to the bottom of waivers. Should no team claim a player, they may enter full free agency. Teams found to be persuading players to circumvent the system or persuading free agents to ask teams not to claim, or other malicious disruptions to the system, will be considered guilty of tampering. As of now, should there be multiple players available at the same time, then claims will be processed in the order that players were approved. Teams may submit multiple claims at once, however, should they be successful at claiming the earliest available player the rest of their claims will be subjected to the new waiver order. There are more nuances to this as well, we have codified this all within the rulebook under section 4.b.

Our reasoning behind this is that we've had multiple seasons worth of discussions regarding our free agency process. We've had multiple google forms, surveys, and examinations about what suggestions people have. I'm not exaggerating when I say some of our first survey results were completely dead even between wanting a change and wanting things to stay the same, and then between what specifically should change. After some of our most recent discussions, it's become clear that we need, at the very least, to attempt some sort of change to have a better wholistic understanding of what system can work best for us. Thus, we are going to use this waivers based system instead of our previous wild west one for a couple of seasons, and then reevaluate it after two seasons. We understand this transition will not go perfectly, we expect to have bumps in the road and things that need to be tweaked or clarified. SMJHL HO is keeping notes and will be handling all of them as soon as they arise, and we ask people to have patience with us as they bring any concerns forward. We would like to again thank our J GMs for their patience with these changes, we seriously could not make this happen without their fantastic work.

If anyone has questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Good change.

Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]
[Image: AceIn603.gif]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Terrible change.

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

this is something that's needed changing for a loooong time and I'm grateful it has been addressed <3

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Average change.

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

Since they're active, I still think it should be a 2+2 instead of a 1+2 contract... but that's just me.

05-10-2022, 04:31 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: this is something that's needed changing for a loooong time and I'm grateful it has been addressed <3

Retweet

05-10-2022, 04:51 PMChevy Wrote: Since they're active, I still think it should be a 2+2 instead of a 1+2 contract... but that's just me.

Retweet also

[Image: lespoils.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2022, 06:50 PM by FuzzSHL. Edited 1 time in total.)

05-10-2022, 04:51 PMChevy Wrote: Since they're active, I still think it should be a 2+2 instead of a 1+2 contract... but that's just me.

The standard rookie contract for drafted rookies is 1+2, with the team’s option of increasing base salary. The decision to make free agent contracts standardized at 1+2 was to avoid incentivizing players to create after the draft.

Correction: The standard is 2+2. I'm leaving this though because A) the point stands about incentivizing creating for the draft instead of after, and B) I am dumb

[Image: 60859_s.gif]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

05-10-2022, 05:39 PMFuzzSHL Wrote:

The standard rookie contract for drafted rookies is 1+2, with the team’s option of increasing base salary. The decision to make free agent contracts standardized at 1+2 was to avoid incentivizing players to create after the draft.
Doesn't removing free agency already disincentivize players creating after the draft?

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpeg]

Me no like eh :(

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

05-10-2022, 06:00 PMSamsung virtual assistant Wrote: Me no like eh :(
Would you say it’s an…eh change?

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

05-10-2022, 05:47 PMBfine Wrote:
05-10-2022, 05:39 PMFuzzSHL Wrote: The standard rookie contract for drafted rookies is 1+2, with the team’s option of increasing base salary. The decision to make free agent contracts standardized at 1+2 was to avoid incentivizing players to create after the draft.
Doesn't removing free agency already disincentivize players creating after the draft?
In a way, yes. But another incentive to create for the draft would be that it’s possible to get a higher contract that way.

[Image: 60859_s.gif]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

ok

[Image: izzy.PNG]
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2022, 07:37 PM by RomanesEuntDomus. Edited 1 time in total.)

Not a fan of Free Agency Waivers in sim leagues. Maybe this change is inevitable because people were abusing the old system too much, but in my experience being able to choose your first team and having the chance to play with either the person who recruited you or someone who was super helpful to you early on is a very positive factor to someones experience early on. It gives players agency, helps with retention, gives people in juniors an incentive to recruit and rewards the teams that put effort into being a desirable destination. It's one of the few issues where I think parity should actually have to take a step back because other things about the experience are more important. I'd rather see a more targeted solution aimed at the people who look to circumvent the draft, and not a broad measure like this one with so much collateral damage.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

05-10-2022, 07:35 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Not a fan of Free Agency Waivers in sim leagues. Maybe this change is inevitable because people were abusing the old system too much, but in my experience being able to choose your first team and having the chance to play with either the person who recruited you or someone who was super helpful to you early on is a very positive factor to someones experience early on. It gives players agency, helps with retention, gives people in juniors an incentive to recruit and rewards the teams that put effort into being a desirable destination. It's one of the few issues where I think parity should actually have to take a step back because other things about the experience are more important. I'd rather see a more targeted solution aimed at the people who look to circumvent the draft, and not a broad measure like this one with so much collateral damage.

Right, so - I agree that it's unfortunate that people can't necessarily just go to whatever team they want willy nilly (although to some degree they can still control it - people can still wait until their desired team is up in waivers order, and if it's a significant enough personal connection, the rest of us J gms are not going to claim somebody's significant other or extremely close friend etc. if we're told it's very important to them, within reason). HOWEVER, the free agency system was, in my opinion, creating an imbalance to the point that our other systems were kind of just nerfed. When a team can just pick up 3-4 free agents post-draft, draft position, draft picks, begin to lose their value. A team could just trade all of their draft picks to go into "win now" mode and then easily sign enough free agents for it to not even matter. Do you know how discouraging that is for a team that's working through a rebuild? It was very much a system where the good teams just stayed good and it was harder for teams further down the ladder to climb their way back up.

It is really unfortunate that it takes away some player agency, but the agency of players who are open to going to other teams, who ultimately get screwed over by the same teams being good over and over again and staying there because we had an uneven distribution of new talent, those people's experience is important too, and we have to be mindful of that. We don't want people to end up miserable in their whole J career because none of their teammates knew enough casual buddies to recruit to all sign with the same team, we don't want GMs to burn out because they pour themselves into a team for season after season, managing the assets they have as best as they can just to get burned over and over again by other teams getting multiple players free per season.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .