Create Account

Eddie's Scouting Reports: Heath Nicol

Scouting Report: Heath Nicol, 16-year-old Right-handed Defenseman

Height: 6’4”
Weight: 215 lbs

Nicol is an intriguing prospect, a rare pure, speedy, defensively stout big man. In the defensive zone, he can use his body to lock down and control the boards or make a clean hit on any player penetrating her zone. His positioning is solid, meaning he’s ready to make a crucial poke check, or block a dangerous shot. His reading abilities in the zone is impressive, and using that skill, he can make an outlet pass or stickhandle right through with his illusive – and surprising – speed and acceleration. His reading skill is also sound in the offensive zone, as he can make a quick shot, or power the puck to an area where he can make a chance. Moreover, his balance and aggression make him a force of nature in his own end. He can shut an offense down with his size and speed and can control the pace of a game.

In terms of things to work on, his offensive game requires some refinement, and his shot-blocking form is in need of tweaking. His edgework also needs, well… work. It can get him in trouble when trying to get by a player who can take the puck from him quicker than he can react to it.

But I can’t complain about his game, it’s solid for how young he is. I think he has the potential to really grow as a player into the shutdown defender he has the skillset for.

Eddie Morozov signing off for now. Stay tuned for more info and more reports from my trips abroad scouting the next SHL stars!

Word Count: 285

[Image: TRVzgUB.png][Image: dEdEwDx.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

UsaUsaMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs