Create Account

S67 SMJHL PT #3 - Rivalry Week

The main (Maine?) rival of the Newfoundland Berserkers, from my perspective, is an obvious pick. While the Berserkers have had run-ins with many of the franchises in the SMJHL, and have made no friends en route to their many playoff series victories, the most heated relationship they have is with the Maine Timber. Geographically, despite being objectively far away, Maine is one of the closest locations in the SMJHL to Newfoundland, which certainly makes it a bit more of a natural rivalry than most in the league. Aside from that though, much of the feud stems from the fact that their long-time general manager, Toast, is well known to many involved with the Berserkers. Considered by many Berserkers to be public enemy number one, Toast can often be seen in the Berserkers locker room complaining about his team losing to Newfoundland once again. Despite Toast’s best efforts, the Berserkers continue to chop trees successfully.

Something happened on the day he died. Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside.
Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried. I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar.

[Image: Wooly.gif]

a bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, source of all greatness, all things that be.

Rivalries are a funny thing. They're typically deep-seated through a long shared history of big games, huge fights, and tense moments. In a league where players get regularly called up to the bigs, the rivalries become a lot more founded in recent history. As such, the biggest rival for the Kelowna Knights, as well as a lot of the league, would have to be the Nevada Battleborn. The Battleborn absolutely dominated the league in Season 66, scoring 103 points (10 higher than 2nd place) and breaking out the brooms for three consecutive sweeps in the S66 playoffs. They don't seem to be slowing down this season, where as of publication they are leading the league in points percentage at 0.833 with an astonishing 15-3 record. It's always going to be a tough game when facing the Battleborn, but the Knights are hoping to take some grit and toughness into any game against Nevada and try to rough them up a bit en route to an upset win.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2022, 02:49 PM by FaraDian. Edited 2 times in total.)

Carolina's biggest rival right now is Maine, especially as they have fallen down the ladder this season and both teams are looking heavily to their S67 draft class for a brighter future. Though they've outclassed us in the standings lately, the situation between us is tighter than it looks! We lost all four games to them during S64, but then took them out in the first round of the playoffs in six games, including an OT win in game five to turn the tide. S65 went 3-1 to Maine then S66 saw an even 2-2 split as we split two back-to-backs. The tide seemed to turn a bit this year, as we won our first two against them, but they took control of game three. Our final matchup in S67 is coming soon... will the series split again or can we come out 3-1 this year?!

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2022, 03:20 PM by Loosh. Edited 2 times in total.)

The Grand Rapids Grizzlies have a natural geographic rivalry with the Maine Timber. While that's true, that has no bearing on Loosh O'Sullivan's feelings about the other teams in the league. No.. Loosh O'Sullivan has his eyes set on the Vancouver Whalers. Currently, the Whalers are neck-in-neck with the Grizzlies in the standings, but for Loosh, when he sees the green and blue of the Whalers, he thinks of his good friend Bojack Calhoun. Loosh would like nothing more than to outperform his pal throughout the course of the season. They may play different positions at the moment, but Loosh has seen Bojack's growth and would like to overtake him at some point. The Grizzlies, like the Whalers, have had some tribulations this season, but Loosh is certainly keeping his composure and working his hardest to make a mark on not only the Grand Rapids Grizzlies, but the SMJHL as a whole.

The Carolina Kraken have a storied history, but one of their biggest rivals has to be Anaheim. During a particularly heated playoff series in S50, the two teams we're certainly eyeing each other up for the next season. All this came from a post made on a social media called, "SMJHL Media". Crazy to think a few words on the internet could spark such a tense on ice rivalry between the two teams. It is a shame that Anaheim is no longer around for us to see this rivalry continue, but perhaps that shows who the better team was all along. Hopefully a new rivalry can be built between the mighty Kraken and another unsuspecting team in the near future, possibly during a deep playoff run by the Kraken in the near future. After all, what makes a hockey game any better than a good old fashion rivalry between two teams, right?

[Image: zFE0mSA.png]      [Image: HKi05IH.png]     [Image: KS8UYv9.png]

At this moment, the biggest rival St-Louis got is probably Quebec. The crows didnt digest their lost in game 7 of the s66 playoff, and to this day, it still play in their head. Quebec lost a lot of good player in the offseason, but St-Louis lost almost no one, and they even got some great veteran players from other team to help them this season, so why they cant even take one win over Quebec this season!? Maybe QCC dont even know, but right now, St-louis hate them with a passion we have rarely seen. On social media, we can see a lot of St-Louis fans burning jersey from Quebec to lift of the curse, but in reality, maybe the crows just need to calm down, and come back to playing hockey. Only in this way they will be better and maybe beat Quebec if they find them on their way in the playoff again.

It should go without saying that the arch rival of the Newfoundland Berserkers is the Yukon Malamutes.  Forget the history, forget the geography, what it really comes down is the mascot and team name.  It's in the freaking name of the province, Newfoundland AND LABRADOR.  Come on now, everyone knows that Labradors are going to be more loved more than Malamutes.  Let us look at the just how many different types of Labradors we have.  There are Black Labs, Yellow Labs, Chocolate Labs, Silver Labs, Labrador Retrievers and even Labradoodles.  It pretty obvious that they're all superior breeds to the Malamute.  And speaking of Malamutes, aren't those really Alaskan breeds?  Can Yukon only steal the names of their dogs from their US neighbors to the north? If they can't even come up with a name that represents their geographic or historical nature then let them have the one that we're all thinking, agricultural, Yukon gold.  All hail the Yukon Potatoes!

Joining the Anchorage Armada, Ignacio Garza quickly learned that the historical rivals of the Armada were the second seafaring team of the SMJHL's Western waters, the Vancouver Whalers. The fans, elder players, and alumni all seem to agree on this. Through personal experience, Garza has found the newly relocated Yukon Malamutes as a growing modern rival, with a closer geographic location to ice-bound Anchorage, as well as being a rival in the standings. With 5 points separating the two near the top of the standings, they are closer in competition than the Whalers currently are, although with 24 points Vancouver has plenty of time to catch up and once again make the Armada-Whalers game even more high stakes than usual. For now though, the Anchorage Armada are focused on climbing in the standings, and that includes taming the Malamutes to try and leapfrog them in the standings before the regular season ends.

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

Based completely and entirely on their scoreboard designation/abbreviation (initials?), Viktor has immediately developed an intense eye twitch over the Yukon Malamutes, also known as YUM. Does it make sense? Absolutely. Does Viktor continually think "WHAT IS YUMMY?", and then get mad that there's nothing yummy at all in his immediate vicinity? Every. Damn. Time. Whether his Quebec City Citadelles actually have a game against YUM, or he's just taking a cursory glance at the night's final scores, Viktor's stomach audibly howls in protest at the blatant deception. This rivalry is very personal to his digestive system, and whether he likes it or not, Viktor will spend the next few years playing insatiably hangry against the Malamutes. Ultimately, he'd like to reach a point where he can transform the energy wasted yearning for poutine (his newfound obsession) into an energy boost of determination that he can in turn use to help bring QCC another victory. Until that day comes, Vik will have to endure worried glances from his linemates when the muffled snarling drifts eerily out from somewhere underneath their disgruntled center's jersey.

[Image: loreoh.gif]
[Image: eP8F2Ne.png][Image: xm4idGe.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png][Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Nevadas true rival since foundation has always been, and will always be the Quebec City Citadels. While the relationship has always been presented as friendly, with many personal ties between general managers, the facts remain that they were expansion teams in the same season. The success of one can never be viewed without comparison to the success of the other. Its almost fitting that the first championship in Nevada history came at the cost of a lost championship for Quebec. While they may be in different conferences, what with Quebec being as far away from Nevada almost as possible, my view, and the view of some others remains that this will always be the rivalry. Honorable mentions go out to Newfoundland as a perennial thorn in Nevadas side, and teams like Anchorage and the Yukon who have remained interdivisional problems for Nevada over the last couple of seasons. Case closed.

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

When I was a kid, as a Kelowna Knights super fan, I remember how I hated the Anchorage Armada. That was before the relocation of Anaheim to Whitehorse, so it was kind of a "King of the North" contest. I had a Cian McFelter poster in my room and slept with a Benjamin Blue-II autographed shirt. I remember the playoffs of S59 as one of the best months of my life. We finished the season first, Anchorage second. We all knew it was the perfect scenario. We crushed Vancouver - Vancouver is not a rival, we love everybody in BC - in the second round, then we easily moved to the finals against the Armada and their dull gray shirts. I thought it would be a great series, but there was no contest. We completely destroyed Anchorage, game, after game, after game. It was pure joy. We won in 5 games. I saw my dad cry for the first time.

Since S59, Anchorage managed to get to final twice, both against Newfoundland, and PATHETICALLY. LOST. EACH. TIME. Since then, the Berserkers are my second team, and I still hate Anchorage.

PT Affiliate Claim

Well I do think this one is pretty easy, It has to be Newfoundland. I think there is only 1 playoffs in the FHM era where Newfoundland was not the team who eliminated Maine in the playoffs. There were some very strong teams who ran into that wall and faltered. This doesn't even mean they are always good either! Maine could have been the top seed and Newfound 8th and the same plays out. The one time Maine made it to the finals since their move they played against Newfoundland in the finals, and you already know the result. Would they have made the finals if they had to go through Newfoundland instead? Probably not.
It's going to be a celebration for the ages when Maine overcomes their playoff Goliath. The best would be if it is for a Challenge Cup, but let's start small, I'll take a win in any round!

Code:
156 Words

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

[Image: W3Qj7cO.png]

[Image: fX8c49X.png]

Maines biggest rival I think is going to be Nevada or Colorado because they are a team we can not beat in the standings. I think that we will make it there eventually. I think that it will take time to beat them in the standings and take them down. I think that it's going to be tough but we are meant to win I think and being three and zero says that we can do anything a lit of wins in a row right now and would like to keep that going. I want the team to know that we are almost there and we can do it if we work as a team. I want to win and I know we can beat these guys and send them to a place of thought that they would go to to think that they can't beat us. I want people to know that win are here to stay and to win for good we got this and I believe in us as much as the next person does go Maine.

182 words