Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

I think a team that often gets overlooked or undervalued is the S65 Detroit Falcons. In S62, the Falcons posted the worst record in the J, managing just 5 wins. But the clever drafting and acquisition of talent by @Vaxlare had the S65 team finishing with a league record 120 points! Ivan Lacksamus chipped in an incredible 46 goals and 94 points, while Eddie Creller finished 2nd in the league in scoring with 88! In the playoffs, Detroit made things look a bit more difficult. They beat Yukon in 5 games in the 2nd round, QCC took them to 6 games (including two straight OT wins by DET to win the series), and they went down 3-1 against the historically well-managed powerhouse of Newfoundland. Despite all hope seeming to be lost, Detroit rattled off three straight wins to cap an unbelievable season, winning the final three games by a combined score of 14-4. From humble beginnings to best single-season of all time consideration, Detroit's story is truly one that should not be forgotten.

(173 words)

[Image: CnPenxE.png]

As Boots is approached to speak about history in the SHL, Boots can't help but think about long standing players and milestones that are near impossible to beat. A lot of that comes from current Renegades Team Captain Andreas Kvalheim as they continue their lengthy career and continue to approach and beat milestones left and right during the twilight of their career! It's one thing to just match or pass a number but another to recognize the ambition, hard work and dedication that it all takes. Coming to the rink season after season, showing up bruised and battered, picking up maybe your 100th hockey stick as others have been smashed to pieces either from taking a slash or hitting the ice instead of the puck just hard enough and maybe even the biggest part of the dedication is adjusting to how the game is changing, seeing teammates come and go and keeping up with the speed of the new generation. I hope the buck contains talks with players like Kvalheim who are still in the league and still reaching those insane milestones and are still making history.

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]

Code:
Hockey Prompt: 344 Words

----------

The Joe Louis Arena was one of the most storied buildings in the history of the sport. Built in 1979 and named after Detroit boxer Joe Louis, the Joe was an incredibly storied piece of not just hockey, but sports history. College games, political conventions. The 1984 playoff series between the Pistons and the Knicks was held in the Joe after issues at the Silverdome. It saw six Stanley Cup Finals and two clinched Red Wings Cups in its halls, as well as a Penguins clinched cup in the only Cup Finals Game 7 the barn had ever seen.

Riley Sheahan is a Canadian professional hockey player. Currently, he plays in the Swiss National League, but in a past life, he was a Detroit Red Wing. Drafted in 2010 by the Wings, he would eventually bounce around the league to a variety of teams before leaving the NHL entirely. Nothing about Sheahan's numbers have ever been unbelievable. He never cracked 40 points in a single year. But for a brief period in 2016-2017, Riley Sheahan was a fascination among statistical hockey dorks like me. On April 9, 2016 at the end of the 2015-2016 season, Riley Sheahan scored his 14th goal of the year. For the next full year, Riley Sheahan would never score a goal again. Sheahan was the first man in the history of the league to put up over 100 shots and manage not to score on a single one of them.

April 9, 2017. A full year since Sheahan had last scored and the last game to ever be played in the Joe Louis Arena. Devils at Wings. Zetterberg's 1000th NHL game. Riley Sheahan opens the scoring to make the game 1-0 and the crowd goes absolutely apeshit. Sheahan has his first goal of the season. The Red Wings will go on to finish the game 4-1.

The fourth Red Wings goal and what would be the last goal ever scored in the Joe comes at 17:27.

By Riley Sheahan.

The last man to ever score in the Joe.

[Image: MvfRxO2.png]
sigs by me bitch

PLAYER PROMPT

Pass Forfeit was assigned to talk about the legendary SMJHL career of SHL bust Nicolaj Muller. Only once in the history of the SMJHL has a player won the league MVP award, the Ideen Fallah twice. And no it isn't Ideen Fallah, it is Nicolaj Muller. Before the turn of 425 TPE, to be a good 350 TPE player was a challenge. Right before the switch, Nicolaj managed to lead the league in scoring twice, get over 40 points as a third liner and be an overall smjhl badass. With such optimized stats it was impressive as an outsider and inspiring for others. Since then scoring was boosted and his records were beaten, however it is impossible to look back on the smjhl without remembering his run of leading the Scarecrows to several presidents trophies as well as winning the cup in his rookie season. He certainly couldn't do it without his teammates though.

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

PT Pass

[Image: Caleb_H.gif]

Hockey Prompt:

So I think...I won't say most, but a lot of Canadians probably have a basic idea of who Bill Barilko was thanks to The Tragically Hip song. "Fifty Mission Cap" literally starts off talking about the story around his death and disappearance, and lead singer/writer of the song Gord Downie says himself IN THE SONG that he stole the lines off a hockey card.  And he actually did! The card exists, and I've always wanted a copy for myself since it's a little token of Canadiana at this point.

Bill Barilko won the Stanley Cup four times in five years with the Leafs between 1947 and 1951, and notably scored the overtime winner that got them Lord Stanley in that last year, which ended up being his last as he disappeared that very summer after going on a fishing trip. The Leafs then went on a "long" (haha) 11 year cup drought that lasted until 1962, and it was in June of that year that Barilko's body was finally found and brought back home to Timmins. There's a lot more in depth media out there about both Bill and the song, including books, documentaries, interviews, and tv specials, and all of them are infinitely more interesting than anything I could ever write.

I've attached a picture of the (back of) the hockey card, as well as the lyrics (not included in word count) referenced:

Quote:Bill Barilko disappeared that summer
He was on a fishing trip
The last goal he ever scored
Won the Leafs the cup
They didn't win another till nineteen sixty two
The year he was discovered
I stole this from a hockey card
I keeped tucked up under

[Image: back-of-the-card.JPG]

[Image: loreoh.gif]
[Image: eP8F2Ne.png][Image: xm4idGe.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png][Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Hockey Prompt

So as a lot of people know, I am hockey hipster trash and I specialize in college and international hockey. A few weeks ago, I put together a list of every national hockey team's biggest blowout loss (inspired by an /r/soccer map post showing who dished out every national team's biggest defeat), and I noticed a few trends. The first is that a lot of them came in the early 1990s, and that makes sense - when the Soviet Union split, every former Soviet state save for Russia had to start at the bottom of the IIHF ladder, and that includes some genuinely decent teams like Latvia and Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan in particular was on that list frequently, since they also played in the Asian Games and often played minnows that some of us might be good enough to make IRL (most notably in 2007, when they played in a group with the UAE and Thailand, who they beat by a combined score of 90-1 in just two games). The vast majority of the rest of these blowouts were either pre-1950 when the international game was still trying to find itself, or upstart teams in low-level tournaments like the IIHF Development Cup or Challenge Cup of Asia.

Also the fact that Britain's worst-ever loss was at the hands of Yugoslavia is pretty funny, given that GB is significantly better than the country that inherited Yugoslavia's records today (Serbia)

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

Let's face this record might not be the most prestigious, glamorous or, well let's say, even know but it is unlikely to ever be broken.

The Boston Bruins and the St. Louis Blues each scored a goal two seconds apart on December 19, 1987. The Bruins were down 6-4 in the third period when Ken Linesman scored with 10 seconds remaining. The slim chance that they could score once more was slashed when Blues center Doug Gilmour scored off the face off into an open net.

In my opinion, that's pretty crazy.

It's almost guaranteed that this won't be broken, unless it's broken by a tenth of a second or something. I don't think you can get much faster than two seconds. The only real option here would be one second and I'm not sure it Alexander Ovechkin himself with a full windup could put the puck in the net from center in 1 second. This one will stand. Let's go Blues!

(162 Words)

Hockey prompt

As we speak, I am literally reading a book about the history of NHL expansion. As a Wings fan, I've always been interested in learning about the Original Six era, and there's just so much in general that I think us "younger" fans (including me as I near 40) don't realize, especially about things we think are more recent concepts. Examples: Detroit is technically a relocated franchise, as the entire original roster of the Detroit Cougars was purchased from the Victoria Cougars of the WHL... and they actually played their first season in Windsor. Montreal was the first city to have two franchises, as first the Wanderers and then the Maroons came and went as more anglophone teams in the city (the famous Montreal Forum was actually built for the Maroons), and even the Canadians nearly decamped to Cleveland(!) during the Great Depression. New York also had two franchises early on, with the New York Americans came first and played in Madison Square Garden, until the Rangers arrived and took over the arena; the Americans briefly attempted to rebrand/relocate to Brooklyn before folding entirely. In short, the league was kind of a mess in the early years and the "Original" Six is actually just the time when things stabilized before expansion and relocation begin anew.

(And let's never forget that the entire purpose of founding the NHL was to spite Toronto.)

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

PLAYER PROMPT

I attempted to create a collaborative SHL history book based around stories a while ago, so I have several thoughts on the matter.

Because one of my stories has to be Czech: the first start of the show that sticks in my mind from Czech history is Mike Verminski, who, inactive and regressing at 800 TPE, only got better as he regressed, putting up a .921 save percentage year followed up a .935 medal round which brought Czechia its first silver.

However, the most magical and history-worthy moment I've ever experienced on the site is the S38 season with the Prince George Firebirds which was one of the stories I wrote on.

A thirty-season drought.
A ridiculous 4 players for 8 picks trade taking Colorado's 4th season players and putting them on an already successful Prince George team leading to a first-round bye.
The rallying cries of "Do it for Dildo" (Myself, the captain, Dionyz Vyskoc), "Praising intensifies" and "Hey Baby", the goal song for Canada at the 2018 World Juniors.

All of which set the stage for an intense playoffs which saw both series the Firebirds played in go to game seven, and the cup-winning goal being scored by Dionyz Vyskoc in OT in the final game.

Truly a playoff run I will never forget.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2022, 05:15 PM by Seymour. Edited 1 time in total.)

One of the most interesting things about real world hockey history to me is the evolution of the game itself. Over the years, the rules and regulations of hockey have changed significantly, leading to the fast-paced and exciting game we know today. The development of new equipment, such as the goalie mask and synthetic ice, has also played a major role in the evolution of the sport. Which brought new fans to hockey and additionally more kids enrolled in hockey. Additionally, the growth of professional hockey leagues and the inclusion of hockey in the Olympics have helped to increase the popularity of the game around the world. There's a timeline where Auston Matthews never plays hockey and we don't see his skills unfold in front of us.

[Image: geRnYPO.png][Image: 0S9kFQ6.png]
Shout out Ragnarr for these two amazing sigs

Player Prompt

My player hasn't yet done anything truly historical, but I'm hoping there's still a chance to be part of the Hall of Fame one day. I think the most important part of the history of anything is the very beginning. What happened on day 0, where one or more people came together and decided to create simulation hockey league? What happened on day 1, when rules were created and the league structure and hierarchy was being discussed? What happened during all the future days to decide the first teams, GMs, players, attributes, engine, etc. All of these things are the most interesting to me, but I'm not sure we still have it all documented somewhere. I think the first seven or so season stats are lost. At least from what I've heard.

Ultimately it's not just one player, one team, or one user that is the most key part of history. It's the league itself.

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

Hockey Prompt

A lot of people have, and will chose this to write about, but I cant help it, the chase of Gretzky goal record by Ovechkin is one of the greatest thing in the NHL right now. About ten years ago, that 894 goals records was seemingly unreachable. First, it is set by the great one in a period were hockey were a lot of time high scoring game, and secondly if we check hockey in general right now, the goalies are better and have better gear, also the defensemen are better too, and much more able to close space to stop forward doing what they want (except McDavid). Here comes Ovechkin, as I write right now, he is at 797 goals, and still going. If he stay healthy, he would take him at least 3 full seasons to break Gretzky record. If the lockout and the half covid seasin didnt happen, he would probably be breaking that record next year, specially the lockout, he was at a peak point of his career, and would easily have 50 more goals.

HOCKEY PROMPT: For me, the one of the most fascinating times in hockey history is related to international hockey during the 70s and the 80s. These days, all the spotlights are on the NHL and with the league choosing to no go to the Olympics, international hockey has definitely taken as a step back. During this period, we had two big events that we still here about today which are the summit series and the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid and the miracle on ice game. But we don’t really about all the other international games and tournaments that happened. The Canada Cup is a forgotten trophy at this point. One of the best events that happened during that time which I feel we hardly ever hear about is Rendez-vous '87 which happened in Quebec City. It was a two-game series between the NHL All-Star featuring both Lemieux and Greztky and the USSR which ended up with both teams taking one game.

160 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

Hockey Prompy
I am sure many people are excited about this, but seeing one of Gretkzys record getting broken will be a once in a lifetime viewing experience. Growing up you saw all his records, all the 'Unbreakable' ones, that seeing Ovechkin on the cusp of taking the goal lead is amazing. I only really remember the tail end of Gretzkys career, and wondering what made him so great. For a player to even come close to a record of his in my lifetime is super cool. Ovechkin is the only 2000s player in the top 30 of goals scored, and knowing he is a season or two away from having his own 'unbreakable' record is astounding. That he is so close with a lockout season and couple half seasons makes it more impressive. He will take 2nd overall from Howe this year, and then it is just a waiting game. He doesn't seem to be slowing down and his team is just going to keep feeding him. I hope this was on task, because it truly is a great chance for everyone to watch history in the making.
188 words

[Image: NOLA-oiduser.png]