Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

HOCKEY PROMPT

For some reason, I really like goalie stats and I'm always fascinated by one particular record that will NEVER be broken. The one I think that will always stand the test of time is Grant Fuhr's 79 games played in a single season in 1995-1996 for the St. Louis Blues. The poor old backups, Bruce Racine, Jon Casey and Pat Jablonski only started 3 games in that season. With load management these days, we won't see that again i'm almost 100% sure. Another that will probably never be broken is Martin Brodeur's 1266 games played. Luongo came the closest at 1044 games. The only active goaltender within 400 games of Brodeur is Marc-Andre Fleury who seems like he's been in the league forever, but only has 959 games played, hence why I think Brodeur's record will stand the test of time. Another record that I think will never be beaten is Bill Mikkelson's -82 differential in 1974-1975 playing for the Washington Capitals. What's crazy is he only played 59 games, so he could've been much worse.

178 words

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

Quote:Write about any team, player, or record that is important to SHL history, and why. It could be something your player did, or maybe not! What parts of SHL history do you think are most interesting and exciting? Is there an old part of the site's history that you feel is important but often forgotten? Why should more people know about it? Take this chance to brag about how historically important your player is, or to get on your soapbox about how cool someone else is! (150+ words)

Something that I used to really enjoy and thought was a really cool idea was the League of Accomplished Players. It was originally created by ArGarBarGar and assigned point values to different awards, championships and overall point totals in order to create a ranking or 'legacy score' which they called it, for all players in the SHL. I thought it was a really cool way of comparing careers over the era's and helped to create some guidelines and debate of the best players of all time conversation. Unfortunately ArGar went inactive and the LOAP kind of fell off the map for a long time. It seems like Luke tried to bring it back at one point but it doesn't seem like it has been updated again for some time since. I would love to see it brought back eventually by someone willing to do it or by the history department (if that still exists?).

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

isfl affiliate

[Image: 75fL0ul.png]
credit to Qwest

The most interesting thing about hockey history to me is how the sport has become more and more international. While hockey has always been popular in Canada and northern parts of the United States, it became much more popular after the first international hockey tournament in the 1920 Winter Olympics. In the decades that followed, international competitions such as the World Championships and the Winter Olympics have become major events in the hockey world, with teams from countries all over the globe competing against each other. Thanks to the inclusion of countries without hockey backgrounds, the sport has continued on its very impressive growth trajectory. Another major factor of this development is the creation of more international competitions among nations' countries overseas, such as the Champions Hockey League and the IIHF Continental Cup, helping to grow the game in Europe. Overall, the rise of international competition in hockey history has helped to bring the sport to a wider audience and has led to more competitive and diverse competitions on the global stage.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

Code:
Written Task: Write about any team, player, or record that is important to SHL history, and why. It could be something your player did, or maybe not! What parts of SHL history do you think are most interesting and exciting? Is there an old part of the site's history that you feel is important but often forgotten? Why should more people know about it? Take this chance to brag about how historically important your player is, or to get on your soapbox about how cool someone else is! (150+ words)

I'm taking this time to hype up the Atlanta Inferno. We established ourselves as the better of the two expansion teams that came into the league together by first making the finals before Seattle, and then beating them in the finals to win the first cup in franchise history in S66. Sorry Seattle I don't make the rules. Also as an expansion team the current roster has had a chance to set team records and cement themselves in the legacy of the team. Michael Withecheck was the first ever draft pick by the Inferno and has just this season tied Eko Van Otter for the most games played in franchise history. This whole PT was also totally just an excuse to brag about how Pablo Salvatici is the franchise leader in goals, assists, and points. Other players from this era of the Inferno are also high up on the leaderboards, such as Puddles O'Duck being top 5 in shots, blocks, games played, and Paul Binder is top 5 in hits. This whole team worked hard to get a cup and set records that hopefully will last.

[Image: Jepox.gif]

ISFL PT

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]

I notice a lot of records being broken on teams that I'm on, so right when I joined the site and was on QCC, Grayson Cooper was shattering records left and right and was by far the best player on the team. It was so cool to see that.

And then last season, with Lev Lebedev, he went wild in the playoffs. Just insane scoring and was carrying the team through games, and it was so cool to watch. This season too both Lev and Tomas Lind are setting some pretty awesome records on the team and I hope to see them recognized on a league-wide stage. I still consider myself a newer member so I don't know a lot of site history, but I hope to see some history being made, and especially by people on the teams I'm on, because that's what I pay the most attention to. Or my pals, they can do well too, I guess.

Code:
160 words

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

Chuck Goody is an SHL hall of famer. The blue liner began his career in one of the first reddit drafts that the league had ever seen. Goody was drafted first overall by the Manhattan Rage in S20 and went on to be a part of the roster that brought the Challenge Cup to Manhattan for the very first time. Goody was a rough and tumble blueliner. He didn’t have much of a knack for flare or offensive prowess, but he was solid, reliable and a good facilitator for a Manhattan team that had talent up and down the lineup. In fact, Goody spent most of that season playing alongside Roy Razin, who for many seasons was the captain in Manhattan and arguably one of the most respected defensemen in the league. But, it’s no secret that the success of that Manhattan championship winning team was the three headed monster of Goody, Razin and Daniel Merica. Goody, Razin and Merica took care of the Los Angeles Panthers in 7 games to bring the Challenge Cup to the big apple for the first time in SHL history and cemented their respective trips into the SHL Hall of Fame.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

One of the most interesting things about real world hockey history to me is the evolution of the game and the changes that have been made to the rules over time. Hockey has a long and storied history, and the game has undergone many changes since its inception.

One particular player who I find fascinating is Wayne Gretzky, also known as "The Great One." Gretzky is widely considered one of the greatest hockey players of all time and holds a number of NHL records, including the most goals, assists, and points in a career. His skill, sportsmanship, and impact on the game make him a true legend in the world of hockey.

Another interesting aspect of hockey history is the role that international competition has played in the development of the game. The Olympic Games and various international tournaments have provided a platform for players from different countries to compete against each other and showcase their skills. The growth of hockey in countries outside of Canada and the United States has also contributed to the global popularity of the sport.

One unknown hockey fact that I think more people should know is that the first recorded game of ice hockey was played in Kingston, Ontario in 1855. The game was played between two teams of soldiers and was a modified version of the Irish game of hurling. This early version of hockey laid the foundation for the modern game that is played today.

Overall, there are so many interesting aspects of hockey history that it is difficult to choose just one. From the evolution of the game to the achievements of individual players, there is always something new to learn and discover about the world of hockey.

[Image: hallsy.png]

Prompt 1

Lias is going to write his whole book on the cultural shift in the SHL that has allowed a lot of marginalized people to feel safer in the league. He is going to go back and talk to a lot of people who were in the league longer than he has been, and find out how things were different and either better or worse many seasons ago. A lot of progress has been made in the way people in the league treat one another, and how willing people are to call out bad behavior and bigoted viewpoints when they see them. This isn't really about a team or player record, but he is going to examine the career numbers for several players who would have had a harder time in the old days of the league, and compare them to how things are going now for players who are feeling much more accepted thanks to the hard work of those people who came before. Lias recognizes that his own perspective here is limited - while he can speak to the experience of his own little niche of LGBTQ+ people in the league, he will also be talking to some women and people who are other races than he is to make sure he gets a good variety of viewpoints for this important research.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

HOCKEY PROMPT
I would like to talk about Cole Caufield, aka Goal Caufield aka Coco. Since his very first game as a Habs, I fell in love with his playing style. In my 25 years on this Earth, it is the very first time we have a so efficient player in Montreal. This little but also big guy is averaging more goals than one of the best sharpshooter in the league : Auston Matthews. He's cumulating goals at an insane pace and correct me if I'm wrong, but since January 1st 2022, Caufield is top-10 in points in the entire league. He's so underrated and I still can't believe we managed to draft him at 15th OA in the 2019 NHL Draft. I know he's a small player, but his talent is undeniable. How did every single team before MTL decide to pass on him? I'm blessed we have him in our team and he's clearly my favorite player in MTL. With him and Nick Suzuki, we finally have our elite duo and this is the first time in my entire life I'm that excited about our team.

[Image: dad.png]

David-Arturri Donskoi
Regina Elk
Hey I'm DAD can I adopt you?

Hockey Prompt
There is one thing that I recently discovered that really intrigued me. I learned of some wild and wacky goalie equipment that has been used over the years. Goalie equipment was not really well defined outside of the heavily regulated blocker and glove. Goalies were reading between the lines of the rulebook and started wearing some wildly oversized equipment. Garth Snow was infamous for messing around in this regard multiple times. He started by wearing a huge chest protector that made him almost block the entire net. Like this guys shoulders were 3 feet wide. Some of the photos of him back in the day look hilarious as this giant square donning a Flyers sweater was blocking the net. He did the same thing with his leg pads which had a set width dimension but not a height dimension. So naturally, Snow went and got custom pads that were 4 feet tall. He could block the net just by standing up. That man was insane but if it made the equipment regulated like it should have been then thanks Garth. (180)

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2022, 11:22 PM by sve7en.)

Creative task

Chris Conner is one of a select few GMs to have been a GM at the SHL and SMJHL level at the same time. In S56, Wasty and Mook left Los Angeles without leadership and Conner, Jimmy Wagner's GM in Carolina, was around to fill in to run the team during the offseason with the supervision of the Head Office. While prepping, drafting and negotiating contracts for the Panthers, he also was preparing and drafting for the Carolina Kraken. With Wagner's read on players, Conner pulled together the start of the S56 core that would eventually become cup winners in Los Angeles. Long John Donair, Grape Fruit, and Jonas Kahnwald were picks that Conner made, or wanted to make, for Carolina and were instrumental to the next decade of Los Angeles's progress. Joining Conner in that list of double general managers is actually the one he succeeded in Carolina - Trella, who did similar work for Tampa Bay.

157 words

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

Hockey Prompt

I love seeing all the insane Gretzky records. He has so many records that are just gonna be unbreakable, like his points and assists records. One of my favorites is that he was fastest player to score one thousand points, second place on that list is Gretzky scoring his second thousand points. Another absolutely absurd one is the fact that he would still be the all time scoring leader if he had never scored a goal. He would have 1963 points if you took away his goals, which would still be 42 points ahead of Jaromir Jagr. Gretzky is the only player to have scored 200 or more points in a season, and he did it four times. He has so many records that are unbreakable, but it's still nice to see one of them being challenged with Ovechkin getting close to the career goals record. Unlike a lot of other sports, in hockey there is absolutely no debate as to who the GOAT is.

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

I think this topic is going to be on everyone's mind that has something to do with hockey in the real world. Alexander Ovechkin what more must we say he is under 100 goals away from the record, that in itself is a crazy accomplishment in today's day & age. With the lockout & then covid years with limited games he would be very close even this season to coming close to the record. It is crazy to even fathom that with the amount of talent in today's game with the goalies & players coming between Ovy & this record that he is that close. I honestly don't think anyone will stop him from hitting the record, he will stick around the league as long as he has to for this to get done. He might even become the next Jagr playing until he is 45 even if he has the record because he is that type of player. The most shocking thing is that Ovy isn't just a scorer/point-getter but he plays a very physical game even though he is getting older, for example in his game the other night he crushed Timmons into the Caps bench.
201 words

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]