Create Account

Reflecting on my First Individual Award in Sim Leagues
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 03:16 PM by Lumosityfan. Edited 1 time in total.)

Oh man where do I begin? The past few months have been a whirlwind for me in terms of the various sim leagues I’m a part of, but I want to talk specifically about my journey so far in the SHL. For those who don’t know me, I’m Lumosityfan and I’m a SMJHL media grader. I’m also Jeff Newman, the star goaltender for the Detroit Falcons and a prospect of the Minnesota Monarchs. I remember first starting sim leagues with the PBE about a year ago and quickly becoming very involved in that. From PBE I heard about the SHL because of course you hear about this league through PBE people being a part of it and also I noticed it whenever advertisements would come up in the PBE discord. I put off joining for awhile partly because I didn’t know how much time I would have to devote to it and partly because hockey just isn’t one of my most absolutely favorite sports. I do like hockey and I do pay enough attention to it but it’s not at the very top of my sports hierarchy. Thus, because I don’t pay as much attention, I wasn’t exactly confident in the positions, let alone what the roles were and what attributes to change to get the best out of my player. It was only a couple of months ago when I decided (along with other people reassuring me that being in the SHL isn’t that bad in terms of understanding everything) to join the SHL because I thought why not? This should be fun and I know that I’ll treat it as my fun league anyways (not that I don’t plan to do every task of course; just in terms of relative doing things in the league)

I created my player during Season 67 and quickly joined the various discords. People were very supportive of me and I appreciated that. (Shoutout to the Season 68 Class Discord which is always a pleasant place to be a part of) Various teams reached out to me but one team stood out to me: the Detroit Falcons. Honestly the main reason why is because I knew @Vaxlare from us both being in the PBE and so that familiarity was attractive to me in wanting to be a part of that team. I created as a goalie because I felt that 1) it was natural to me 2) I really enjoy playing goalie. It felt like a position that if I ever had the audacity to play in real life I could gravitate towards. Detroit told me that they had a good waiver position and that they needed a goalie and I was like heck yeah let’s go for it. And so I joined the Detroit Falcons in Season 67 off of waivers.

I honestly didn’t really know what to expect starting out but it turned out I had a decent season. Nothing too spectacular in terms of awards and stuff like that but I was pretty happy all-in-all. Unfortunately we only won a round I think and then lost in the semifinals but considering up to that point I hadn’t had a lot of sim league success I took that. The Falcons locker was very active and it was great to see so many people support each other in the pursuit of wins and championships.

Coming into the Season 68 SHL draft, I knew I wasn’t going to picked fairly high mainly because I knew that my TPE total wasn’t super high relative to my classmates; however, I was optimistic that I would at least be picked among the top goalies in my class. I had some good conversations with some teams and I got really excited about the prospects of playing for some of them. As draft night rolled along, I was befuddled by the fact that goalies a bit higher in TPE were being picked and I slid to the third round. It definitely gave me motivation to keep earning (although in all fairness I’m not exactly mad that this happened; I understand that me being a newer user even among goalies I’m sure teams wanted players that had lower TPE but who could be more dependable to earn well) I remember mentioning that fact and people comforting me saying that you can use this to prove them wrong.

I ultimately went to the Minnesota Monarchs and while I knew they were not exactly the best team out there I knew this was my chance to make an impact on a team that was in a rebuild but that at some point had to get out of it, and I was excited to be able to lead such a team back to the playoffs. I was very happy to see that @Evok was on my team and I eagerly sought her advice on how to make a great goalie. While I knew that I would improve in Season 68, I never expected that I would improve as much as I did. I led or was near the top of basically every goalie statistical category and broke the minors win record. I’ll be honest when I was pinged in an article about that I was stunned like I knew that I wanted to do well obviously but I never expected I would reach such heights. The Falcons followed suit with an amazing season and with my help went all the way to the Four Star Cup! That was one of the best moments in my sim league life because up to that point I hadn’t had the best of luck with making the playoffs let alone winning a title (although to be fair my time in sim leagues hasn’t exactly been the highest amount) I remember everyone in the Falcons locker room going crazy and for good reason obviously.

Going into the offseason between Seasons 68 and 69 I was excited to be able to unbank more TPE and see how much better my player could get. I had an expectation of getting the best goalie but what I didn’t expect was to be nominated for the MVP Award. I figured well I was good but goalies basically never get MVPs nor come close so I thought ok I’ll take like top 5-10. To be top 3 was such a thrill, plus the nomination for Best Goalie that I expected. I was so anxious up until awards night because while I was confident you never know with awards voting (not in a bad way just people have different opinions about awards and you never know what to expect) But then I saw my name on Best Goalie and I was ecstatic. The first time I had ever won anything of note in sim leagues (if you don’t count GMOTY in the PBE which while great wasn’t an individual award) Entering Season 69 with a title and a major award in hand while I’m definitely nervous to see if I and the team can pick up where we last left off I’m also excited to see what the future holds for me both in the short term with finishing up my time with the Falcons and in the long term once I get the chance to play on the Minnesota Monarchs.

Code:
1218 words

Lumo pls

[Image: 1O8nmvc.png]

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

First award of many!

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

01-24-2023, 02:20 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: Lumo pls

Oops sorry about that

01-24-2023, 02:25 PMvbottas17 Wrote: First award of many!
Yes indeed and thanks for the praise!

Hell yes I can read it! Good stuff dude, congrats on your award. Love to see you thriving in the shl

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

01-24-2023, 03:28 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: Hell yes I can read it!  Good stuff dude, congrats on your award.  Love to see you thriving in the shl
Yay and thank you so much! I really do appreciate it

Thanks you allowed me to find easily where i was pigned!

@Lumosityfan great work on the player improvement :dab: hope i helped a bit at least

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

01-24-2023, 04:36 PMEvok Wrote:

Thanks you allowed me to find easily where i was pigned!

@Lumosityfan great work on the player improvement :dab: hope i helped a bit at least
lol thanks so much! that means a lot coming from you and you def did

Congrats for all the awards last season, you will even get a chance to a repeat this season Wink

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

01-25-2023, 09:52 AMAnthique Wrote: Congrats for all the awards last season, you will even get a chance to a repeat this season Wink
Thanks man I appreciate it and yes indeed! Smile

Vaxlare and Evok. Just highlighting the important things. 

also Super excited to have you in Detroit, Lumo. Looking forward to watching your the rest of your career.

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

01-25-2023, 10:00 PMVaxlare Wrote:

Vaxlare and Evok. Just highlighting the important things. 

also Super excited to have you in Detroit, Lumo. Looking forward to watching your the rest of your career.
Thank you man I appreciate it