Create Account

S69 PT #5: Everyone's a Critic February 26th @ 11:59 PM (PST)

PP

Nash always deals with harsh criticism with an unnerving one hour period of intense barking, and zooming back and forth between the locker room and the press room. Any little thing after a big loss will get him riled up. Not enough water in the bowl, lots of barking.  Sometimes Nash will even lunge towards a reporter like he is going in but he will just snap his jaws and clench. Giving them a long hard stare to make them think about what they have done. Its always hard for nash to respond to these kinds of things. Growing up he was never given criticism, only lots of praise and a heck of a lot of treats. Its one of those things that comes with the competitive attitude. You always need to play your hardest, give it your all, and it just sucks in general when someone is calling you out for just a single mistake or two. Reporters please take note, i will answer more questions for treats and chicken.

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

Hugh Manius hates the limelight nothing bothers him more than talking about his play. He would just prefer to answer every question by say just review the game tape and make your conclusions. It makes no difference to the Hugh whether he is receiving praise or criticism, he hates sitting there and answering questions. Although that approach has never been the preferred choice for both Colorado Raptures management and his own representation. Although Manius did not care he had to sit there not them. Besides he was being play the game not to sit through interviews, but he did acknowledge it is part of the job and would sit there and talk. So generally, Manius answers the questions with snappy one-word answers must to the frustration to many a reporter. In Manius mind this was win as they may be more likely to start interviewing someone else. Hopefully give him a chance to get out of the locker room and he can get on with his life.

Word~167

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

Rikaad luckily hasn't had to deal with much media attention up in Kelowna, but he tries his best to stay off social media. During his rookie year he struggled a lot and found himself reading a lot of comments about his play online saying he was a bust, he can't adapt to north american game. He found himself fighting with fans online using a burner account quite often. In the off-season, he vowed to himself to delete twitter and focus on himself and his game. It has been such a better experience sophomore year and his mental health really improved. Reporters are excited to talk to Rikaad now, fans finally seeing his true potential, and there was even a huge following as he chased the season record of blocked shots for the knights. Rikaad attributes him not getting on twitter to his breakout season. It was becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy, especially at such a young age.

[Image: I3BTEQc.png][Image: dGD5tIx.png]

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: source.gif]
[Image: zFnlslP.png]

I don't care too much about negative attention, I have studied from the Jack Johnson school of sucking ass and collecting paychecks. If you set the bar low in terms of expectations, you save yourself a lot as well. Coming in for a 3rd round pick, a perennial third line player, the fans' attention isn't really on me. If I play well, it's an overachievement, something that brings in praise. If I suck, then the rest of the team probably covers it up. If they don't, they get the fans' ire. So in that sense it's not great to always deflect the blame, but I know my abilities and my role, and the extent of my seasonal contributions. I'd like to think I've been fairly consistent, so I'm giving the team whatever they need. Not much to handle in terms of complaints there. At the end of the day, I'm getting a paycheck and the fans aren't.

Written Task: How do you feel about hockey's social media culture? Specifically with regards to top players in the world. A common complaint is that the NHL does not have the star power of a league like the NBA, and that the players are much more boring. Do you think this ties in to social media, and the unwillingness many players to engage beyond the officially sanctioned opportunities? Is it unrelated? If so, how do you think the league should go about making their stars more marketable and exciting? Does it even matter? (150+ words)

I am pretty much in the middle on this, I see it in two different ways. On one hand, it is something I like in hockey, the fact that player can be humble online. They show their game on the ice, trash talk on the ice, but after, it was just a game and that is it. I think it also helps making the hockey environment toxic, something that can get pretty tiring over time. But I do agree that it can be boring, everyone likes drama and drama goes crazy on social media. Having players that will actively engage online against each other would make the sceen very much different and would probably overall make a lot of money for the league. But this comes at the cost of someone looking like a dumbass, and some weird online people could also take this way too personal for their favorite player and do things that are not ok.

158 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

PT Pass

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!

Player prompt:

Brick Wall has a reputation for being tough and unflappable on the ice, having had the high of winning Best Goalie but the lows of lackluster seasons. But Montreal's early exit from this season's playoffs attracted a lot of negative media attention.
Reporters speculated about Brick's personal life, questioned his technical abilities, and criticized his style of play. The constant insults and degradation was enough to make anyone second-guess themselves, but Brick refused to let the negative media get to him. He knew that the only thing that mattered was improving himself and spending time with his family. Every day, he trained harder than the last, studying his own flaws and working on his weaknesses. He spent the rest of his time off of social media and focused on being a good husband and father. Media buzz will always come and go, so it's important to remember to stay grounded in your beliefs and maintain your own self confidence.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: YZjkK9Q.png]

Written Task: Tell me how your player deals with negative attention from fans or journalists! Do you get in fights on Twitter? Ignore it all? Prove them wrong with your play? Do you say or do anything when you have to face a reporter that said something bad about you in a media scrum? Does this kind of thing get to your player, or is it just part of the job? (150+ words)

This one is tough. One of the hardest things to do as a professional simulation athlete is to be consistent. Being a good or a great player is never enough, it is an expectation you are consistently good. But the truth of the matter is, that's an impossibility. No matter how great of a player you are, you are just one of eighteen, and you will have bad games. Such is life. It's how you deal with it, and how you respond on the ice that forges your path as a player.

Egli is a gem, because at the end of the day he couldn't care less what a bunch of twitter trolls have to say. He gets home after a game, kicks his shoes off and heads straight to the sauna for a schvitz. Nothing can melt away a bad day quite like a good sweat. Then he'll hop right on over to a cold shower. After the shower he'll head to bed, and if a single bad though begins to creep into his head he'll just cuddle a stack of cash like a fucking build-a-bear and sleep like a baby.

[Image: FG1uDPY.png][Image: QAcQptc.png]

Tiberius Kane is on Twitter but it's almost all not hockey related so he is unbothered . He's really big into wet burrito Twitter, which explains his recent dietary woes. But i digress. Kane still makes a point to be involved in Twitter drama, but he delegates that to his many followers. A man can be irritable and mean spirited without going through the trouble of actually reading Twitter. Instead, the followers who run his account engage in reactionary politics so that Kane is always relevant. At the end of each week he is debriefed on his Twitter beef, the latest trends, ongoing feuds, and new opinions. This week was all about trad wife, next week looks like it's another big week for red onion discourse. Of course, Kane can't just be reactionary to every little thing, he has to throw his weight and wealth around, belittling anyone who doesn't have the reach to raise millions in charity all the while getting fat off of their dime, living in a mansion in LA. This way, few proves he is better than everyone else.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT

I grew up loving hockey, especially the goalies. Hockey has been a sport my dad and grandpa and great grandpa (and probably great-great-grandfather) have all loved with passion (all being Leaf's fans). Hockey was my first love, but I eventually came to love football (soccer) more. I do think social media has a bit to do with it, but honestly the sport just isn't accessible. Firstly, it's expensive to play and usually requires a lot of travel. I wanted to be a goalie too, so that's even more expensive. I had one set of road hockey goalie gear and I wore the shit out of them, but once I outgrew them I slowly outgrew the sport. Football, all you need is a ball. I even did football freestyle, so I didn't even need to join a team to play. It was a ton of fun and it makes sense why it's the most popular sport in the world.

This leads to what I assume to be the first issue. You can play basketball/football in far more areas of the world than ice hockey. I do think though that field hockey and road hockey can still be played in these locations but idk if it'll ever really be as popular as summer sports. I just don't see hockey ever having the worldwide appeal of say a sport like basketball or football. It would be cool to see it grow more though in certain areas where maybe they do have winters but maybe lack the infrastructure like Canada in terms of indoor & outdoor rink accessibility.

In terms of social media, this may be a bit of a more controversial point but hockey is pretty White. I'm White and I'm not saying White folks are boring, but football and basketball, imo, has a lot more diversity. I think this has gotten better since I was a kid but I've still seen stories throughout the years that makes me wonder how much we still have to go. Blackouts are just fucking annoy the shit out of me and I can absolutely see this contributing to people illegally streaming literally just out of convenience. Finally, I find a lack of analysis online compared to say football or basketball. I feel like despite playing and watching hockey more than basketball it was just so much easier understanding basketball. I know the rules really well except maybe some of the newer ones or like the way they call things now but overall idk tactics like football.

I think I read someone talking about shoes and comparing them to skates, but honestly I feel like hockey sticks should be what you're trying to market better and honestly I remember buying CCM because of Ovi as a kid and I was in love with my dad's Titan stick because I knew a lot of the greats used Titan before they went defunct. I also really loved the goalie equipment but it's usually all customized, so it's not like it's able for retail.

The star power of the NBA has made it entertaining but tbh they have favoured offence heavily. I prefer hockey's reliance on teamwork and its imo better balance between offence and defence (although I know hockey's only starting to get higher scoring which I also like). Hockey is a much different sport, you're playing on ice and it's good to see that hockey has taken concussions more seriously.

I grew up a hardcore fan as a kid but I'm mostly a casual fan who is only starting to follow the sport again after years of barely following it. Take this with a grain of salt since idk what I'm actually talking about.

[Image: png_20230208_222443_0000.png][Image: johanseen.jpg]

PT pass - Simmer

Drafted 2nd round 21st Pick by the Winnipeg Jets in S55 SHL Entry Draft 
GM of the UCORCAL in the WJC S55
S55 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for UCORCAL
Management Role for Russia in the IIHF
Recent Management Role / Head Coach for Winnipeg Aurora in SHL 
CO-GM St. Louis Scarecrows S57-S60
GM of the St. Louis Scarecrows S61-S72
S72 Challenge Cup Champion
[Image: 6JpC94j.png]
[Image: image0.png]
[Image: IMG_0301.jpg]

Player Prompt

Negative attention has always followed Mikko throughout his career, and the player seems to do well to shrug it off.  For much of his first five seasons, Rashford has not quite been the “leader” in gameplay that some of his fellow draftees have been.  While not leading his class in points, or really any statistical category, Rashford has taken on more of a team oriented approach, filling in where is needed, in whatever role that may be.

So you’ll probably never see Rashford on Twitter going after fans who think his game is weak, or he is underperforming.  You’ll see him doing what he does every day, coming into the rink early, getting some extra reps in during morning sessions to get his body ready, and ensuring he’s ready to perform each night.

There have been a few times in his career where he felt the pressure was mounting, but each time, he seeemed given a chance to elevate his game, and he hopes to continue that long into the future.

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]