Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #1 - Comparison of the NHL in FHM 6 & FHM 8
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2023, 11:51 PM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

Introduction

It’s no secret that the move from FHM 6 to FHM 8 has shuffled the meta of our builds a little bit. It was discussed that Part of that is likely due to the prohibition of testing, but I wanted to explore what kind of things have actually changed. This article only covers skater data.

The assumption being made here is that managing a single NHL team over the course of seasons, making decisions about personnel and tactics as a manager and not as a player, is how the game is “meant to be played”. Thus, whatever has changed in how the NHL is considered is a change to how the game is going to function.

The method here is to examine the most recent skater data available from FHM 6, the 2019-20 season, and compare it to the 2021-22 season in FHM 8. I recognize that there might be IRL performance-based factors (real life progression and regression, if you will) that would affect the stats, but I am very annoyed to report that I couldn’t figure out how to generate the 2019-20 season in FHM 8. It might be possible by converting a save file to FHM 7 and then to FHM 8, but I’m not that dedicated. As a further disclaimer, to make things work with our TPE system, these builds have been adjusted to fit within our minimums and maximums, which is to say, if an attribute was lower than 5 or higher than 20 for most stats, and lower than 14 for Stamina, then it was adjusted.

FHM 6

AVG: 740
MAX: 2516
MIN: 357
Top 20%: 907

[Image: HDvNGAr.png]

Top 10 Skaters by TPE
PLAYER NAME POS TEAM Est TPE
Connor McDavid C EDM 2516
Auston Matthews C TOR 2129
Jack Eichel C BUF 2054
Nikita Kucherov RW TBL 1816
Sidney Crosby C PIT 1782
Nathan MacKinnon C COL 1774
Alex Ovechkin LW WSH 1693
Erik Karlsson RD SJS 1612
Patrick Kane RW CHI 1610
Patrik Laine LW WPG 1608

FHM 8

AVG: 846
MAX: 2146
MIN: 435
Top 20%: 1055

[Image: FlWAtws.png]

Top 10 Skaters by TPE

PLAYER NAME POS TEAM Est TPE
Connor McDavid C EDM 2146
Auston Matthews C TOR 2108
Leon Draisaitl C EDM 1916
Artemi Panarin LW NYR 1896
Miro Heiskanen RD DAL 1843
Aleksander Barkov C FLA 1843
Nathan MacKinnonC COL 1774
Victor Hedman LD TBL 1754
Patrick Kane RW CHI 1741
David Pastrnak RW BOS 1733

Interpretation

Things changed.

There’s a little bit of variation in skater stats due to performance variation between 2018-19 and 2020-21, seeing as FHM 8 is higher on MacKinnon and Draisaitl while valuing Kucherov and Laine lower. At the same time, though, they’ve closed the gap significantly between Auston Matthews and Connor McDavid, despite the overall value of Matthews staying pretty consistent to a player that maybe had a bit of a down year. The rest of the pack has also gotten quite a bit closer to the two front runners. That seems less statistic-based for the season and much more of an attempt to correct values and mechanics.

I was actually pretty surprised that the distribution for FHM 6 is as tight as it is. There’s a far greater range of values, even though the average TPE is 740. The Top 10 skaters are graded as outliers, that drop from 2516 TPE to 1782 TPE in the Top 5 is ridiculous. The curve for FHM 8 is, by comparison, a little bit better grouping. The Top 20% is tighter, for sure, and the average TPE is more representative of the independent values.

Generally when people have talked about the TPE Scale, it’s with regards to an increase in scale, requiring more TPE for each attribute. This supports that, with the NHL stats increasing. Fun Fact: The highest TPE ever recorded on the site was Sven Yxskaft with 2383. Funner Fact: In S69, the SHL had 6 players end the season with more than 2000 TPE applied. Sticking to the idea that the NHL is representative to how the game is played, I think there’s space for the suggestion that having players with more than, say, 3 stats with 20s applied is not good for the function of the league. On the other end, I think it’s also bad to have players with less than 350 TPE applied in the SHL in particular.

The next thing I want to look at is how goaltenders have changed, and then how goaltenders compare to skaters in FHM 6 versus in FHM 8. The third part will be looking at how the SHL compares for the S69 season.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Approved, +5 TPE to @ _Blitz_

[Image: CptSquall.gif]