Create Account

S71 PT#4: Not My Stadium!

PLAYER PROMPT - WRITTEN TASK

It's not easy to have a big road trip or long flight just to play a hockey game. However, hockey players have it almost each week. Aumy Junior II is one of them, but luckily he's not that much impacted by this situation. He started to play hockey in Tampere - city in Finland. In his first junior year he just travelled around Finland, but the next couple of season they got the budget to play in the Scandinavian league. They had training camp in Canada, but later on they played in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Switzerland too. He already has been used to travel around the globe and play in different places, countries and time zones. It isn't something he is enjoying doing, but every hockey player has the same situation. They all go through the same stuff. So he isn't overthinking this situation. He is just always staying hydrated, gets a lot of sleep and is always ready to perform when it's needed. That's the best each hockey player can do. It's a job. Go out there on ice, no matter where it's located, and do the best you can.

191 words

Stars Stars Stars

Code:
Written Task: Turns out your owner saw reason and hired union labor to build the stadium, which also appeased the belligerent councilperson (surely unrelated to the union's donation to her campaign fund). With construction well underway, you are now confident your team will only have to play one season in the college arena. Upon puck drop, you find yourself playing in a classic "college atmosphere."

Does your player enjoy it? What's the craziest thing a fan gets kicked out of the stadium for? Do you ever jump into the crowd for a celly? What's different about playing in a college stadium, especially that your player might remember fondly? If they're absolutely miserable the entire time, why? (150+ words)

Well thank goodness our owner found reason and decided to do things the right way. I'd hate to see what would happen if the city council rejected our proposal after we already committed to playing in a college venue for an entire season (oof). Although Oskar went in with tempered expectations his opinion on the matter has been a positive one. He's enjoyed his time thus far playing in a college arena and although he does prefer to energy of a proper SHL arena, he's willing to make the sacrifice and make the most of an otherwise unfortunate opportunity. While playing in a college arena is largely the same, just on a smaller stage, there have been some pretty wild young fans in attendance. By far Oskar's favorite thus far is the series of goofy signs the college regulars bring to each game. They've come pretty close to having the signs taken away, but typically it's good for a solid laugh.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

Player Prompt

M'Baku Olubori has played in some very small venues for hockey, and he always brings the best he can (we don’t talk about the Swiss junior league games right before he came to North America. Those don’t count). Growing up in Nigeria, hockey isn’t a big sport (truly, nowhere on the African continent is hockey huge). Still, he found his chances with a local team for a few years. The size of the crowd doesn’t affect how Baku plays the game. He’s always going to bring an aggressive, physical style to his hockey and force people (teammates, coaches, fans) to pay attention. When it comes to weird situations like men in tracksuits with AK47s, Baku has learned to not engage, keep his eyes straight ahead and focus on the game. In moments like the one you mentioned, coaches (and GMs) have warned Baku to keep his mouth shut. Having seen how other athletes have been held captive in foreign countries, Baku is careful not to pick fights where he can’t win them. On the ice he is fearless, off the ice he’s smart.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Hugh always like playing in college and in college towns. Generally, speaking they are usually fun towns with a good hockey crowd, with lots of screaming and drinking fans. Although the hockey crowd in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan would be hell of a lot better but that did not happen and do not blame Hugh for that. The college stadium is OK but they are no SHL areas that is for sure. The locker rooms and training facilities are not really the greatest and the ice seems slow and soft and the massage tables are too wobbly. Although the Hugh can never complain about playing in front of a large robust crowd of screaming coeds in Manius jerseys. Something about that puts Hugh in a good state of mind, so there are a few perks at the college arena. Also, one advantage for students attending the game is your dorm room is only a short stagger away.

Words ~ 155

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

PT Pass

[Image: blix900.gif]

[Image: QwTZD8C.png][Image: iemKOIk.png]

Honestly, coming from a football (read, soccer) culture in the United Kingdom, Adelbert Steiner has certainly seen wilder. The college frat party vibe is a bit of a new thing to him, but he's used to playing in front of a crowd of local chaps who can only be described as almost certainly being named "Big Steve", so it doesn't phase him too much. Hockey is an inherently physical sport, and a fan would have to be sublimely stupid even for the average college bro to try and start anything with the hard hitting defense man. All in all, the college crowd has actually been a pleasant surprise for Steiner, as it's occured to him that it's unlikely that they're used to watching a team as exciting and with as much potential as the Zerkers. Seeing as this is his first season skating in a top line on D, he's been enjoying the opportunity to play up to the crowd a fair bit.

[Image: 6bdkPCS.png]

Conner Snooks has totally turned into that "how do you do fellow kids?" meme. Prior to the game he spent the whole week on campus, going to classes and hanging out with students. Basically now everyone on campus thinks that Conner is a freak. The crowd actively laughed everytime he touched the puck during the game. It was absolutely embarrassing. Conner had an abysmal time playing at the college arena but was totally oblivious to the jeering and dirty looks. He thought everyone loved him. Had no idea all the lingo the kids were throwing around were actually insults. It's okay. Now is the perfect time to slump. Since the playoffs are right around the corner. Wait, will the stadium be done before the playoffs right, right??? Oh no, this is going to be a disaster for the Blizzard. How are they going to fit a playoff crows in a 4000 person stadium???

[Image: 0wXevO1.gif]
[Image: Qfss7w7.png][Image: zS2lCMp.png]

[Image: wiqZK8C.png]

Player Prompt

No matter where we play the goal is to win, we might be a poverty franchise that is an embarrassment to the whole league and are a laughing stock to all the fans but we still gotta win. Before every game I make sure to meditate to try and forget the terrible owners that pay my salary and focus on the game. It's kind of difficult to meditate in a half sized locker room in a college stadium where everyone else is getting ready too but we make it happen. When we get to warm-ups I make sure to look in the stands and focus on a single fan to know that they're out there and that they care. I play my heart out for them, the fan going to games despite all the ownership drama, someone who just wants to see some hockey. If we play a game where there isn't one fan that I can focus on then I know we are truely lost and will campaign for the team to be moved.

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

CREATIVE PROMPT

I'm going to be perfectly honest. Viktor gets really nervous in crowds, and even more so when they're loud and/or obnoxious. Growing up he had the chance to gradually ease into things. Empty rinks turned into opinionated parents turned into diehard fans turned into weekend crowds and so on and so on. He is anxious by default, but he got used to it all over time. Now that he's (theoretically) going back a step in terms of both the crowd size and demographics, it'll take some time before he's settled back into his competitive zone. He won't even remotely appreciate the crush of the crowd or the intimate seating, and his performance will most assuredly be taking a temporary dive. The most memorable part for Viktor would be when it was finally all over and he could go back to a full-fledged SHL rink. Of course, mayhaps a pair of earplugs would go a long way in this situation (completely ignoring the likelihood that Vik would inevitably be smeared into the boards like peanut butter).

Code:
176 words

[Image: loreoh.gif]
[Image: eP8F2Ne.png][Image: xm4idGe.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png][Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Creative prompt

Being back in college, playing in the college arena brings me back. It brings back great memories of when I used to play in such an environment. SHL arena's are big and loud, but college arena's are something else. The atmosphere that the fans bring to each home game and the weird stuff they do during the game is absolutely amazing. A week ago in our first game in the college arena I scored the go head goal late in the second period and it seemed like the roof was going to explode. They were so loud and chucking beers and what not. Some college fans even had my name painted on their bodies and they just stood there half naked in the crowd. After the game I heard about some fans being ejected from the arena because they tried to steal hotdogs from the vendor, they wanted to throw them on the ice lol.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

As someone not originally from North America I have to ask what a "classic college atmosphere" is exactly? I'd assume it means a bit more wild, rowdy and packed with more singing etc, in contrast to the more family style events in regular arenas? If that's the case then I'd absolutely love that, since it's much closer to the sporting events that I'm used to in Europe. Most American sports fans will know about how crazy European (or South American, or African or basically any other continent) football events can get compared to an NBA or NHL game, but what they might not be aware of that the same is true when comparing hockey to hockey or basketball to basketball as well. German hockey crowds are closer to German football crowds than they would be to American hockey crowds, the stadiums are more packed and still have whole dedicated standing sections, the beer is cheaper, their is more singing etc... It makes for a really wild atmosphere an I personally love it!

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Player prompt

I think it is pretty clear that some match fixers try to intimidate hockey players as well as players in various sports in general to make the game to to their favor, whether it is a regular season game of a playoff game. N'Zola once got approached by one of these guys when he was staying at a hotel in Maine. An unlawful citizen approached him at a restaurant before a big game where he was dining alone, claiming that his team had to lose the next game to make another team make it to playoffs, including that he would make it worth my while. N'Zola just kept eating his steak and pasta and ignored the "goon", who looked more like Borat from the movie. Turns out he was not that keen on making Georg lose the next game as he just left the table soon after he started to ignore him. Turns out this way of ignoring people is highly effective even when N'Zola is playing for his national team - just keep calm and move on

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

PBE Affiliate PT

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]

[Image: B2UkLpt.png]

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

As I mentioned in the prior PT, Lacksamus does not really care that it is a college arena vs a professional one. I am still confused about how that came to be and the clearly terrible decisions that led to it, but as long as there i hockey going on then he will not complain about it. Just gotta go out there and how them why you are on the team and play the best possible hockey. Anything other than that is just a crutch and used as a mental game only. The opponent team probably does not like it either but we will have a bit of an advantage in that we are used to it and should try to use that advantage wherever possible. Maybe that includes things like leveraging the fans to pump things up r get in the other team's head or whatever. Give us a rink, a puck, and an opponent and we will show up.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King