Create Account

S72 PT #0: Trades, Trades, Trades

Prompt 1

I’m not super will verse in NHL, let alone SHL trades as I’m pretty new to both leagues, but if I have to pick something write about for this PT I guess I’ll have to find something. I’m picking the Dallas Stars in 2003 trading their 1st round pick (28th OA) to The Ducks for 2 second round picks (36th and 54th). The Ducks picked Corey Perry with the Stars traded pick and the Stars went on to draft Vojtech Polak and B.J. Crombeen. Vojtech only played 5 games with his time on the stars and Crombeen who is a 4th liner who only produced a fraction of what Perry did.  The Stars did obtain Perry many years later and would go on to the cup finals with him in 2020. With that said I’m not a Perry fan, I don’t like his playing style, he’s kinda dirty, and I still find it funny that he went on to lose in the cup finals 3 years in a row, even if one of those years it was the Dallas stars.

[Image: captainLahey.png?width=1000&height=606]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png][Image: tCcIWQC.png][Image: 9pUocRs.png]

ISFL affiliate (offseason task)

[Image: Morleyhockey.gif]

prompt 1, written task

The worst trade the Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League have made in my lifetime as a fan is EASILY the Oliver Ekman-Larsson trade. Jim Benning gave up a 1st round pick, that the Arizona Coyotes would go on to use to select Dylan Guenther, a player with a very promising future, in order to acquire Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Connor Garland. Now, Garland is a decent player and has proven the only only upside from that deal. But what was worse than giving up a 1st round pick to acquire an aging, extremely overpaid defender, was ALSO giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick to move on from Loui Erikson, Jay Beagle, and Antoine Roussel.

sidebar: OEL is still a decent NHL defender, he was just paid waaay too much for the role he was expected to fill.

The Erikson, Beagle, and Roussel contracts were all expiring deals. Had Benning simply waited them out, the Canucks would have had another poor season, acquiring another quality first-rounder, and then could have gone into the off-season with over 10 million in freed-up cap space.

It was short-sighted, desperate, and clawing at faded name value, rather than properly scouted NHL talent. Gives me a sour stomach just thinking about how badly that deal is already aging.

[Image: banes.png]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: sobchak.png]

Fileworker PT Pass

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

So lets talk about the worst trades my team (San Francisco Pride) have done. Now there are a few! They recently traded for Unconfident and Bayley and sheesh, let me tell you... I'm shocked at what the GMs are doing, how could they get these two people in?? (I'm just joshing i love yous :D) but yeah I think the worst trade might be trading for me to be honest. I was in a weird situation with Calgary. I was drafted by them and I never really had any intention to do much in the SHL, I just wanted to try out the J and see how I felt from there. Lo and behold, I spoke to Calgary about trading me because I figured I might have more fun in the league if I knew at least 1 or 2 people on my team. Caleb and Toast traded for me, which was awesome because I had just recently begun speaking to caleb in the PBE so that was fun, but they gave up a 1st for me. I don't think I'm worth a first on the sole basis that I just don't earn well enough. I definitely try to, but I just find it difficult to max earn here because I just don't particularly understand hockey. But i'm still super glad to be on the team and i'm trying to live up to the expectations

235 words

The worst trade the Buffalo Sabres worst trade? Oh dear god there is so many to choose from. The worst trade most likely is when the Sabres traded for Goalie Robin Lehner, and gave up a first and and a second, in a STACKED 2015 draft class. While you may say, well it was "just a mid-late first!", that was exactly the wheelhouse of Mat Barzal and Kyle Connor. Adding to the fire, this move was built upon by trading another first round in the 2015 class + JT Compher, which they dealt for Ryan O'Reilly. It was not the move for a rebuilding club who had just got Jack Eichel, they should have used those picks for prospects instead. Now, they ended up losing Lehner for nothing and still not winning, and ROR lost his "love for the game" playing in Buffalo. This led to him also being dealt for a large pile of pucks, a salary cap dump (Patrick Berglund) who actually quit with three years left on his deal with /4M on it per, just cause he hated playing in BUF so much. They did get Tage Thompson in that trade, but he has defied all logic and I doubt they expected him to become who he is now, otherwise that trade (supplementing the previous one), is the worst trade

“I thought I was a goalie, but STA told me forget being a goalie they make nothing, and no one cares about them.  Guess what I was a center all along and I had no idea. Now I am the toast of the town, and I am getting offers from all the GMs and Scouts.”

– Spidey Talent Agency, on Activity Check

The Florida Panthers have been very good of late, but they are not free from criticism. they have made some questionable decisions over the years and endured some very bad seasons. Seriosuly, it was tough to watch at times. One of my favorite bad moves though wasnt so bad at the time. That doesn't mean it was good, it was just kind of irrelevant. But now looking back hindsight 20/20... My GOD. The Panthers traded Zach Hyman for Greg McKegg. This happened in 2015 when pretty much nobody knew either of these players. It has taken Zach Hyman a long time to bloom and yes he plays with Connor McDavid, but he had an 80 point season just recently while McKegg just... hasn't. I know Raindelay has some thoughts about McKegg too as a rangers fan, maybe he'll appear in his Pt too, although I have no idea how the rangers got him. But yeah, looking back, this wasn't great.

[Image: nf6AAw2.png]

PROMPT 1:
One of the most annoying trades the Pittsburgh Penguins have made in recent years was when they traded John Marino last off-season for basically a bag of chips. It definitely isn't one of the worst trades the Penguins have made in their history or within the past decade (the rise and fall of Derick Brassard is another one that comes to mind), but it was bad enough to piss me off even a year later. The Penguins D-core sucked horrendously all season, while John Marino had a solid year defensively in New Jersey despite an injury. It was annoying enough to get rid of Marino but trading him within the division was the icing on the cake. All while Ty Smith was an AHLer for 90% of the season. Trading Marino of all D-Men made no sense to me, and I will never forgive Ron Hextall for the crimes he has committed to my hockey team.  At least Marcus Pettersson stepped up and became a beast on defense in Marinos departure. (171 words)

[Image: rizzton.png]
Leon Rizzton - Defenseman - Timber  - Sig made by KaleSalad!

Prompt 2.
For this trade tree I’m going to go way back to what may be the first ever blockbuster trade in NHL history. November 2nd 1947; The Toronto Maple Leafs acquire Max Bentley and Cy Thomas from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for Gus Bodnar, Ernie Dickens, Bob Goldham, Bud Polie and Gaye Stewart.
Max Bentley was then traded to the New York Rangers for cash which is where this branch ends.
Cy Thomas finished his NHL career with the Maple Leafs ending this branch of the trade tree.
Gus Bodnar was traded to the Boston Bruins for Jerry Toppazzini where he finished his NHL career.
Ernie Dickens finished his NHL career with the Blackhawks ending his branch of the trade tree.
Bob Goldham and Gaye Stewart were packed by Chicago with Sugar Jim Henry and Metro Prystai in a trade to the Detroit Red Wings for Pete Babando, Al Dewsbury, Harry Lumley, Don Morrison and Jack Stewart. Bob Goldham finished his career as a Red Wing ending his branch of the trade tree.
Bud Poile was packed with George Gee to the Red Wings in exchange for Jim Conacher, Bep Guidolin and Doug McCaig, Bud Poile played out his contract with the Red Wings, signed with the New York Rangers when his rights were traded to the Boston Bruins for cash where he finished his NHL career and this branch of the trade tree.
Gaye Stewart as mentioned previously was part of a large trade to the Red Wings who traded him in 1951 for Tony Leswick from the New York Rangers who finished out his contract there and then signed with the Montreal Canadiens where he finished his NHL career and this Trade Tree.

285 Words

Prompt 1:
The worst trade in penguins franchise history was trading a second round pick for “future considerations” to the Vegas Golden Knights before they joined the league. These so called “future considerations” ended up being them picking our best goalie from the roster. Why Jim Rutherford decided that this was the best course of action, I will never know. I’d be fine if we just made Fleury available and let them make their own decision. But to pay a second round draft pick for them to take him is just absolutely bonkers. As a penguins fan, I completely expected to be losing a goalie in the expansion draft. However, I also thought that maybe by paying a second round pick we had convinced Vegas to take a depth forward. This trade seems to look even worse after every season that passes. The very next season, while both Fleury and the Penguins lost to Washington that year, Fleury made it to the finals and the Penguins won their last round since Fleury left them, a first round series. Ever since Fleury left he has won five rounds and the Penguins have won one. Hindsight may be 2020, but man it felt like we got a bad deal ever since the expansion draft.

[Image: pyro182.gif]

Thank you hewasajazzman, Slothfacekilla, Sulo, Frenchie, and Raymond for the sigs Smile

Prompt 1

The worst trade that my team has ever made is any trade we've ever made. A trade is a showing of weakness. If we're trading for an upgrade at any given position, all it means is we should have drafted better. If we're trading to cut salary and stay under the cap, it means we should have negotiated better in free agency. I firmly believe that the only good trade is no trade at all. We make too much money as it is, take a pay cut and make your team better. But the absolute worst trades imaginable, aren't technically even trades... The worst trades are when a team trades itself to a new city. "Wah, I want a new stadium" or "Wah, I want to pay less taxes". Shut up, you're a professional sports team. Why do the Lakers play in Los Angeles where there aren't any lakes? Why do the Jazz play in Utah where there isn't any music? Why do the Vikings play in Minnesota where pillaging is against the law? The answer: because trades are dumb and make as little sense as this diatribe.

the worst trade the atlanta inferno ever made was definitely when we acquired guy zheng from the hamilton steelhawks in exchange for guy o shea and the 4th overall pick in the season 56 shl draft. all we did was swapped guys named guy which is pretty equal since their names are both guy and they both played defense at the time unless guy zheng (@goldenglutes btw) had switched to forward by then but i'm pretty sure he hadn't and that came later anyway yeah that part's a wash since they are both Guys and so then we just sent the 4th overall pick to hamilton for nothing. during the pre-draft scouting leading up to that draft jss was in my ear extensively so there's a decent chance i would've stupidly drafted jss in that draft - his player was a notorious bust but things could've been different if he had been in atlanta yteah we would've tore the club up instead i'm stuck with @goldenglutes for life now!! what an awful swapperooni!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

The worst trade that the Texas Renegades ever made was moving me to the Atlanta Inferno in the season 64 off season. Why would they do that? Because I asked them to? Because I was ready to move on? Maybe so! But should they have done it? No! I'm such a good player! Who cares if I'm asking to be traded and get a fresh start somewhere else? Keep me! I'm good! There's no return you can get for a guy this good no matter how often he's requesting a trade. This is not a league about having fun and being nice to people it's about winning! You don't win by trading Burlok! Just a bad decision all around and I fully absolve myself of my role in the matter. Let the records show that I had nothing to do with this trade and it was instead just an unforced error. I desperately wanted to stay in Texas at the time and that's why I'm back there now!

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=666c7cf4&is=666b2b74&hm=ab...694e07b12&]

prompt one

the worst trade the hamilton steelhawks have ever made was when they traded for mitchell van der heijden from the new england wolfpack. they had to give up dick clapper, who for what it's worth is STILL PLAYING IN THE SIMULATION HOCKEY LEAGUE TODAY, for mitchell van der heijden, who has been retired and very notably sucks balls. dick clapper has had a fantastic career in the SHL and is 100% a first ballot hall of famer. mitchell van der heijden had one fluke season where he won mvp and kind of sucked the rest of his career in hamilton. van der heijden is also a noted locker room cancer who had forced his way out of both new orleans (understandable considering the circumstances) and new england (yeah no one can defend that what a fucking cancer) and reportedly did not handle hamilton well at all. what an awful trade from hamilton (this is satire)

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs