Create Account

S72 PT #0: Trades, Trades, Trades

I literally don't know how to determine whether a trade is good or bad, and I don't know enough about Chicago's trade history to do this, so instead I'm going to talk about the only trade I've been involved with in this league, which was when NOLA traded for myself from Manhattan.  Honestly, it was a surprising trade, especially due to the scouting that had happened with NOLA before my draft. But Joe felt it was worth it to see if he could keep me in free agency after trading for me. Unfortunately for NOLA it didn't work out for their playoff hopes and it didn't work out for the long term either, as I quickly left the team in free agency shortly after. I don't think they gave up much, I think it was a 2nd and conditional first. I remember Joe telling me that if I stuck around I was definitely worth the first and more, but that didn't happen.

[Image: 66168_s.gif]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

There's a couple horrendous trades in recent memory for the Penguins in the NHL. Just recently, Ron Hextall and his dumb ass decided to trade for Mikael Granlund at the 2022-2023 trade deadline, giving up either a 2nd or 3rd for a player that simply doesn't fit in the scheme, is old, and has a bloated contract with term. Under Jim Rutherford, the Pens also made stupid trades like a 1st round pick and Oskar Sundqvist for fucking Ryan Reaves after Tom Wilson and the Caps bodied the Pens in the previous playoff series. One of the dumbest knee jerk trades I've seen, utterly ridiculous. Then the various trades to try and get a third line center, including folks like Nick Bjugstad, Derrick Brassard, etc, all pretty stupid. They didn't even keep Jared McCann from the FLA trade with Bjugstad, just opting to completely bungle the Seattle expansion draft process by protecting Jeff Carter who they gave a NTC to.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2023, 12:16 PM by minaj27.)

The worst trade in Pittsburgh Penguins history occurred on August 25, 1992, when they sent future Hall of Famer Jaromir Jagr, along with defenseman Frantisek Kucera, to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for prospects Rod Buskas, Jim Dowd, and a package of draft picks. Jaromir Jagr was one of the Penguins' most iconic players, instrumental in their back-to-back Stanley Cup victories in 1991 and 1992 alongside Mario Lemieux. His departure marked the end of an era and significantly weakened the team's offensive firepower. In contrast, the return the Penguins received was underwhelming. The prospects failed to impact significantly, and the draft picks did not translate into star talent. Jagr had an illustrious career with multiple teams, amassing impressive records and earning another Stanley Cup later. His departure from Pittsburgh haunted the franchise for years, leaving fans and management deeply regretful of the trade's outcome. The trade stands as a cautionary tale of letting go of a superstar too soon and serves as a reminder of the importance of making sound decisions when dealing with elite players.

[Image: MMCPaEg.png]

[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png][Image: eP8F2Ne.png]

Prompt 1:

Let us dive into the trades of the Vancouver Canucks and oh man did we make some bad trades. We can talk about a recent one where the Vancouver Canucks traded Loui Eriksson, Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel, along with the 9th overall pick, a 2nd rounder and a 7th rounder to the Arizona Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Connor Garland. Oh man, looking back that trade was terrible... I would say neither OEL or Garland are worth a 1st rounder, especially with OEL's contract, but I do remember thinking maybe OEL was just playing for a bad Arizona team so he'll bounce back in Vancouver. He did not. I was wrong. This trade killed Canucks cap for the coming seasons as all three of Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel were on expiring contracts. OEL was not a $8 million dollar defenseman in the slightest, but if we really look at the brightside, I do enjoy watching Garland play for the Canucks! He's got a lot of fight in him.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

Code:
WRITTEN TASK: Tell me about the worst trade your team has ever made. This can be your SHL team, or any professional hockey team you cheer for in real life. If you choose your SHL team, please don't use this to flame your GM - they're doing their best!
One of the worst ones I can remember in the SHL is someone gave up a draft pick for what turned out to be a bust, and that pick turned in to Avakael's first gen. He ended up playing his entire career with Buffalo, set a ton of records and as a user what the fantasy league what it is today. One of many Stampede trades that went in their favor. Obviously there's a risk anytime you trade away an early 1st round pick, but this one was very glaring because the player the team got back went inactive shortly after.
As for my sens the Zibanejad for Brassard deal is a bad one. I didn't like it at the time, and it's only gotten worse. It doesn't help I bought a Zibanejad jersey after he was drafted so now it's just another ex-Senator I have in the collection. On the plus side people don't ask me who he is anymore since he's a top player on the Rangers haha.

[Image: IAP8v68.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

PROMPT 1: It’s probably not the worst trade they have done in their history, but I will tell you about a one for one trade that my NHL favourite team, the Montreal Canadiens did in the last decade that ended up biting them in the ass. Technically, the trade wasn’t one for one because there was a conditional pick in the trade, but the conditions to trigger the trading of said pick were not triggered. This trade happened in 2017 when the Montreal Canadiens traded Mikhail Sergachev to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Jonathan Drouin. While Drouin spent most of the last few seasons out injured, Sergachev went on to be an important piece of a piece that won two Stanley Cup. The worst is that the Habs have had a massive hole on the left size of the defence since Markov left that his still there to this day, while they always had a good amount of decent winger during Drouin time in Montreal.

163 words

Nor Ge
norway Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

PROMPT 2: Steve Dangle Content

Let's talk about a trade tree that's still ongoing, to examine what it takes to be even a minorly successful (i.e. the fanbase isn't calling for your head) NHL GM... In 2013, The Red Wings wanted to select Valeri Nichushkin but the Stars took him first. With no obvious pick remaining at 18OA, they swapped it with San Jose for 20OA and 58OA. San Jose just really wanted future NHL superstar Mirco Mueller. With their two picks, the Wings grabbed Anthony Mantha and Tyler Bertuzzi.

We got some good seasons out of those two guys, especially Bertuzzi. But they weren't getting us to the playoffs so it was time to move them off for assets. Mantha was the centerpiece of the blockbuster 2021 trade that brought Jakub Vrana and Richard Panik to Detroit along with picks in 2021 and 2022. First, what did we do with those picks? The 2021 got grouped with some other picks to move us up in the order so we could grab Sebastian Cossa, potentially the goalie of the future in Detroit. The 2022 pick was used on Dmitri Buchelnikov, a very promising youngster in Russia.

Panik ultimately went to the Islanders in exchange for Nick Leddy, who has since been moved to St Louis in exchange for Jake Walman (currently a top-pair defensemen), and Oskar Sundqvist who was later moved to Minnesota for a 2023 pick. Bertuzzi went to Boston for picks in 2024 and 2025 while Vrana went to St Louis for a 2027 pick. So it's a trade tree that includes a lot of players who didn't work, a few players who might be key pieces in the future, and a lot of ongoing potential. Every trade spawns a similar trade tree and it takes a savvy GM to keep rolling things forward so that even a trade that doesn't initially break in their favor can be turned into a future one that does.

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

Probably the worst trade that I can remember in my time in the SHL was the GOD McZehrl trade from Buffalo to Minnesota. At the time, McZ was a good player, but this was immediately panned as a massive overpay by the (at the time) Chiefs. They gave up an S49, S50, and S51 1st round pick, an S49 2nd round pick, and a player. Those picks turned in S49 3rd Overall Pick Bo Kane (the pick was later moved to SFP), S49 19th Overall Pick Denver Wolfe, S50 6th Overall Pick Augustus Wang, and S51 3rd Overall Pick Abel Skinner (the pick was later moved to CHI). These picks, even while not all used by Buffalo, were utilized to shore up their team and establish themselves as a dominant power in that time period. It’s a lot easier to retool when you have top 10 picks, and Minnesota gifted those to Buffalo in this deal.

WC: 156

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

When we talk about the Minnesota Wild, Chuck Fletcher is the GM that comes to mind for most people. More people in the hockey world have realized how horrible of a GM the man was thanks to his recent tenure in Philly, but I want to discuss with you the worst trade in Minnesota Wild history. Let’s shine a light on the background of this trade, it was the 2016-2017 season, and the Wild were in first place in the Western Conference and only had lost 6 games in regulation since December. Seeing that we were true contenders, Chuck Fletcher did something to absolutely torpedo the whole season. We traded a 2017 first-round pick, a 2018 second-round pick, and Grayson Downing for Marin Hanzal, Ryan White, and a 2017 4th. This trade off the bat was an overpay, but some Wild fans hoped that it would be worth it if Hanzzal could produce and help us on a run. Hanzal did the exact opposite, he ruined team and line chemistry and score 4 goals, and while he had a respectable 13 points, the team plummeted in the standings and lost in the first round to the St. Louis Blues, with Hanzal putting up a measly 1 goal in the series. The trade mortgaged the future for not even a playoff series win.

[Image: HjWsKHU.png]
Signature by @enigmatic

[Image: ohmEd0h.png] [Image: apAE8qn.png]

Easily the worst trade that EDM ever did was trading the 13oa pick in the S61 draft to PHI. PHI went on to pick Conner Snooks (me) and well, while I won PHI a cup. Now I'm back on EDM. Now, tbf. I did a trade tree and with the pick that EDM got from PHI, they ended up taking the legend Gordon Ramsey and then later on trading for the pick to get Luke Laraque (Blix) who is a beloved NBB graduate and now I play on the team with Blix, since now, EDM traded PHI to get me back when they could have just drafted me in the first place. I would like to note that now I have been involved with two trades with EDM and neither have resulted in a tampering charge. I'm not sure what that means really, but I just wish someone would tamper me just once in my life.

[Image: 35broks.gif]

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]

[Image: aRCIyeu.png]

Ah, the trade that still haunts the Atlanta Inferno fans to this day - the ill-fated decision to draft Billy Herrington from the Detroit Falcons of the SMJHL. It all happened a few seasons ago, during a time when the Inferno were desperate to strengthen their offensive line and bring in a young star to lead the team to glory.
At the time, Billy Herrington was considered one of the most promising young talents in the SMJHL. He was lighting up the league with his exceptional skills, speed, and goal-scoring ability. The rumors about the Inferno's interest in him spread like wildfire, and fans were excited about the prospect of having such a dynamic forward on their team. However, to acquire the first-round draft pick required to select Herrington, the Atlanta Inferno had to give up a significant package of valuable assets, including a few talented prospects and some key roster players. This decision was met with mixed reactions from fans and analysts alike. While some believed that Herrington's potential was worth the hefty price, others were skeptical, warning that the Inferno might be mortgaging their future for a player who hadn't proven himself in the SHL yet. Unfortunately, those skeptics turned out to be right. Billy Herrington struggled to adapt to the higher level of play in the SHL. He faced tougher competition, more skilled defensemen, and a faster pace of the game. As a result, his production dipped, and he found it challenging to replicate the success he had enjoyed in the SMJHL. Meanwhile, the players and prospects the Inferno had traded away to obtain Herrington started to shine elsewhere. Some of them developed into top-tier talents, making the trade appear even more lopsided in hindsight. The Atlanta Inferno had hoped that Herrington would be the missing piece to take them to the championship, but instead, the trade only seemed to set them back. The team struggled to find its footing, and their performance suffered significantly. The fans' frustration grew, and even though the management tried to stay positive and supportive of Herrington, it was clear that the trade hadn't panned out as expected.

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

One of the worst trades that I have ever seen throughout my time in the SHL was a trade in S20. They traded for Ivo willems and another player who I do not remember. While the players made an impact, both of them were overpayed for. The helped the S20 (Then West Kendal Team) make the playoffs. However it was soon all down hill from there. Their players were at a point that they took heavy losses from regression and soon retired. Also, because of the lack of activity in the roster, most players had been considering leaving before the trade. That came true when three of the four (possibly four out of five) players left following the S23 season. This really stripped down the core of West Kendall. The other issue they had was giving up so much for aging all stars. It took them time to recover afterwards. Bojo helped them right the course to be a much better franchise

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

Promptt 1

One of the most regrettable trades in Colorado Avalanche history was the deal that sent Chris Drury and Stephane Yelle to the Calgary Flames in 2002. Drury was a fan-favorite and a crucial player in the Avalanche lineup, known for his scoring ability and leadership on the ice. Yelle, a reliable two-way forward, also played a significant role in the team's success.

In return, the Avalanche received Derek Morris, Dean McAmmond, and Jeff Shantz. While Morris had some productive seasons on the blue line, the overall impact of the trade was heavily skewed in favor of the Flames. Drury continued to thrive in Calgary, becoming a key part of their leadership core and contributing significantly to their playoff success.

The departure of Chris Drury and Stephane Yelle left a big gap in the Avalanche's roster that was not adequately filled. The players acquired didn't bring the team what they needed, and the team struggled to maintain its previous dominance.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

This hurts me to say but I would say the Calgary Dragons trading for Alexis Saint-Michel, my former player. Not because of the trade itself but because of what resulted afterwards. ASM was an outstanding player who had dominated junior leagues, won an MVP and would win the Four Star Trophy next season but everything around Calgary seemed to fall apart. The managerial changes, players leaving and mass amounts of backlash to the previous regime effectively left ASm to believe that all the bad luck was caused by his presence. He did his best for many seasons, helping to lift Calgary out of the dark ages by the end but just the sheer amount of things that happened during that time effected him (and me) personally. I would love nothing more to not write this but this was all caused by that one decision. I hate to be the figurehead of the dark ages of Calgary but I cannot think of any other trade

Prompt 1:  

Its hard to pick a specific one, but man the Blues have made some pretty poor trades in hindsight.  Its like as soon as they trade a young player, they have a killer season on another team.  Vince Dunn, left unprotected in the expansion draft and picked up by Seattle.  Fast forward to this last season and he is one of the best defenseman on the team.  He is playing top line minutes and killing it in Seattle.  Who else?  Jake Walman.  Getting fringe mintues in St. Louis, gets traded to Detroit and is killing it out there.  A little historical picks as well?  Doug Weight.  Gets traded and wins the cup the following year.  Brett Hull, gets traded and wins the cup the following year.  Ivan Barbeshev, wins the cup with Vegas.  It feels like no matter what, they always succeed.  Remember when we traded Tage Thompson to Buffalo?  Pepperidge Farm remembers.  But I'm not upset about that trade, we won a cup because of it.

[Image: murphy2.png]
[Image: NI78UUy.png?width=400&height=267]
[Image: Skree.gif]