Create Account

S73 SMJHL PT #3 - Rivalry Week

The Yukon Malamutes have a long and storied rivalry with the Saint Louis Scaredcrows (not a typo). It was hard to watch them win the SMJHL last year.

Unfortunately, this reporter has not been around long enough to really know the full story (this is Langston Hardison-Laurent reporting) and unfortunately as a draft pick well after 50, many teams passed on me, my gripe really isn't due to snubs. So what makes Yukon and myself hate St. Louis? Is it because their claim to fame is a big old arch that looks like a handle that some giant hasn't finally pulled to rid us of that godforsaken city? Is it because they have exactly one good restaurant (Pappy's Smokehouse, best BBQ I've had in my life)? Is it because they can't keep a football team? Or is it because Langston's spirit is connected to a Chicago native? One thing is for sure, F*** St. Louis.

WC 162

[Image: F84OPdM.jpeg]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig

The first of course stems from the great expansion of S61 where the Grizzlies found themselves created alongside the Regina Elk. Naturally being expansion "sister" teams, it makes a valid argument for both to become rivals to each other, though unfortunately that rivalry wouldn't come to pass nearly as hard as the one initiated in Season 63. In Season 63, the Grizzlies had the best seasonal and post-season run in the franchise's history making it all the way to the finals against...Newfoundland. Now, the Berserkers aren't strangers to being major rivals of other SMJHL teams, but in losing in the finals to an extremely stacked Newfoundland team, the Grizzlies found a new rivalry that superseded the one with the Elk, and throughout the next several seasons after that finals loss, the Grizzlies would find themselves locked in bitter battles on ice against the Berserkers, sometimes coming out on top...but many times being shut away.

Funnily enough, the main rival of the Detroit Falcons has actually changed fairly significantly in the time that I've been in the league. During my first few seasons in the SHL, way back in the early S30s, the main rival of the team were the Montreal Militia, due to some crossover in GMs and one or two situations that exacerbated the rivalry between the two groups of users. Some hard fought playoff series ensued, and both teams would go on to look to outdo the other at every opportunity. Now however, the team's undeniable main rival is the St. Louis Scarecrows. It's hard to say how it actually started, but this rivalry was actually fairly bitter during the S40s, with some big fallouts between various users on both sides, which undeniably led to the on-ice rivalry escalating massively. Despite the lack of real geographical proximity, the two teams have managed to establish a fierce competitive rivalry. I believe it's a bit more kind-spirited now, but there's undeniable history between the two franchises and it goes without saying that every time the two teams meet there's a bit more attention paid to how the game plays out!

Code:
196 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

It's gotta be Kelowna. The Raptors were sitting very comfy at the bottom of the league, happy that we were going to end up with a high draft pick for next seasons draft. However, then Kelowna had to come and bungle it up with a worse points percentage than us. You can't seriously be trying to challenge a team with a -30 goal differential for worst team in the league, right? Right? Unfortunately, it seems that they are, and mark my words, we won't forget this slight. Add in the fact that we're both rebuilding teams and are likely to be competitive in a couple seasons, and you can be sure that this Kelowna-Colorado rivalry isn't over. Don't be surprised when you see these two teams facing off in the finals in a few years. Of course, the Colorado Raptors of today are known to hit hard, and we'll definitely be bringing it against our rivals. Hopefully Kelowna will do the same.

ISFL Affiliate

ISFL Affiliate

I'm not sure about to much of the history between these two teams, as I have not been apart of either team, but for this season, I believe that Vancouver is Quebec Cities biggest rival. The sole reason for this rivalry is that I want my team, the Quebec City Citadelles, to be the best Canadian team in the league point wise. As a team with mainly rookies, we may have a hard time keeping up in the standings with the first place Whalers, but as the season progresses, watch out as this young Quebec City team grows and competes for the top spot of all Canadian teams. Also if I remember correctly, I don't recall my scouting conversation with Vancouver being that long, so that also puts a bad taste in my mouth. Even though they did scout me a little bit, unlike some other teams, it still was not good enough in my books. And if I recall this scouting conversation wrong, I apologize, but you are still on my teams radar.

[Image: jgzUap6.png]

[Image: pRYfhit.png]

The Vancouver Whalers biggest rival in the SMJHL is, without a doubt, the Anchorage Armada. The Armada and Whalers are fierce rivals, not just because both teams are constantly battling at the top of the league in opposite conferences, meaning a meeting in the Finals isn't out of the question, but also because the personal hatred of the Anchorage GM, @Ragnar by the Vancouver Whalers GM. This had bled down to the rest of the team, even leading to an emoji that says 'Boats Bad' being a popular locker room post. When asked as to why Anchorage is the Whalers' rival, the Vancouver GM, aleks, said that the Anchorage GM is stupid, and backed it up by saying that he had met him in real life and knew him personally. In the face of such overwhelming evidence, it is obvious that the Anchorage-Vancouver rivalry is not just a competitive rivalry, but a fierce, personal rivalry, with the off-ice beef to go with it

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

I'm honestly not even sure any more.  Back in my day, the Boatz biggest rivals were the.. uh.. well.. whatever this team is called.  Citadelles  The ones with the funny owl thing as their mascot.  I'm pretty sure its Quebec something.  Anyways, we played them a ton in the playoffs and always went back and forth and it seemed like it alaways came down to us and them in the semi final or the final, and it was always either a sweep or a 7 game series.  I haven't paid much attention so I'm not really sure if they'restill our rivals or not, but to be honest right now we're so unstoppable i think its going to be hard to find a rival.  Might sound cocky but its the truth, the boatz can and shall dominate the rest of this godforsaken league for the forseeable future. Go Boatz. Gnome Dab.jpg

[Image: source.gif]
[Image: zFnlslP.png]

As a member of the Colorado Raptors, every team is our biggest rival. Every game is a fight for our lives, especially since we are currently placed last in our conference. We have a lot to prove so we have to go play like everybody is our biggest rival. We lead the league in fights won and have five out of the ten most penalized players in the league. Needless to say, we aren't out on the ice making any friends. The Raptors will only up our physical game as we hone our offensive skills, which will soon lend itself to a very dangerous unit.

But if we were to narrow it down, I'd say our division rivals in the Tamper Town division are our rivals more specifically. Those teams include Anchorage Armada, Maine Timber, and the Nevada Battleborn. Our travel schedule to visit our division rivals is absolutely ridiculous with the exception of Nevada (hockey doesn't belong in Nevada). Traveling from Colorado to Maine to Anchorage is brutal. It gives us plenty of time to stew on our next divisional match up!

I think I am going to pretend my new player is on TB since that is where I just retired from. I feel I have been gone from the league long enough I can not really say who the big rival is now. I am just going to pick that the TB's rival is TB. If there is a team that can really hurt the Cudas its themselves. The idea of looking into the mirror terrifies me so I just can not think of anything that could compete with that. I am going to use the last bit of this post to say how excited I am to be coming back in the league and to give goalie a roll. I have always gravitated to goalie in real life and in video games so I a going to dive into this pretty deep. Coming back from Pro Baseball Experience as a GM and max earner I feel I can really make a mark for which ever team picks me up.

170 words

[Image: XlUQV2V.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023, 06:08 PM by Scrizz. Edited 1 time in total.)

ISFL Affliate PT

"There is a lot of talk in our locker room about the [St. Louis] Scarecrows. Like, they're the only team where we track their results every day and pin them to the wall, no other team gets that kind of disrespect here. But for me, the real rivalry is with the Anchorage Armada: I think really getting angry about a team on the same level as you, or close to it, is a waste of emotion and motivation. Our first three games against them, they beat us in games that weren't close and for me, that just made me angrier and more desperate to ram their teeth down their throat, and I think that spilled over to the rest of the team in our last game.

But saying that, god damn did it feel good to batter St. Louis yesterday like we did. I've scored 3 goals in my career now. Three!"

The biggest personal rivalry for me would definitely be the stupid St. Louis Scarecrows. Theyre so not cool and have always been a thorn in my side on multiple players, but the biggest reason is their GMs. Both have slighted me in some form or another so I carry a grudge of sorts.

Sparky, the GM, is a stinky stinker who has never stunk so much stank. He refuses to let me have a good J career as a Goalie, but we will break that trend!

The other GM, Gumba, well... he stole all my money. So that's a good enough reason for a rivalry there.

Also I had ties to Detroit and GFG where I think we can all agree that the Scarecrows are the leagues rival and should be punished with extreme prejudice!

Joke aside, I love both their GMs but do wish to beat them every game ever because I'm tired of losing to them when I start.

[Image: b6kz2LW.png]
[Image: CWUfbzX.jpg]