Create Account

S73 Championship Week

GM Pass

[Image: Cracker_Pizza_sig.png?ex=6516546d&is=651...bb4003576&]
[Image: pride23gif.gif]

1. - +3 - Trivia:

Verification word: Grotto

3. - +3 - It was impressive for Philadelphia to get back to the finals so quickly. While they really have the same core as when they won a few seasons ago, it seemed like they didn't have quite the high tpe firepower of before (I may be wrong). They dispatched a fearsome New England fairly easily. I think Philadelphia did it by being persistent and patient with their core group of earners. Tearing it down and building it up again works sometimes, but often teams are too quick to pull the trigger on a rebuild. Montreal had some good things going and it was unfortunate they ended up in a rebuild so quickly. It really does come back to the users in the SHL and if you have a good crop of earners, it does wonders. New England and Winnipeg just need to stay the course and keep trying to build teams of good earners. If the culture is right, the winning will follow. 

12. - +2 - Congrats to Edmonton for winning the cup. Well deserved. Rashford clued us in that it is now the seventh season in a row that Winnipeg has lost to the eventual champions (or won it ourselves). Edmonton has a fantastic team and is well balanced with a ton of high TPE players. It's really no surprise they won with how well they have been improving over the past few seasons. I really liked how the series was entertaining, not a sweep. The best part was Edmonton winning. Philadelphia is good, but I always saw Edmonton winning this one (Hindsight 20/20). I look forward to hopefully matching up with them again next season!

8/8 +8 TPE

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2023, 03:33 PM by chetib.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification: Horsie

3 TPE

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!

I have been impressed with Edmonton's success over the last couple of seasons. You could see this team ramping up to start making pushes over the last couple of seasons. I know most people think goaltending is nothing but looks at some of the bonkers number Justin Time has been putting up. Lets go Edmonton!

b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be - the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry youngsters taking their first shot at glory?

I would really rather be the upcoming team that is pushing for that championship for the first time. Way less pressure and you can just have a bit of fun knowing that even if you don't crack that win you have a bright future ahead of you. Veteran on the other hand has all the pressure. Need to win because you don't know if you are going to get another chance again.

2 TPE

6. Graphic, 3 TPE, The Climax
Draw the final battle! You can show me the players going head-to-head, you can draw the mascots duking it out, or you can make any kind of hype poster of your choosing. It's the Forge vs the Blizzard, I want to see Fire and Ice! Go!

[Image: iceheat.png]

3 TPE

8/8 TPE

Tibuk Soonika - G - Tampa Bay Barracuda| Portal Page
BarracudaSwitzerlandKnights

Trivia 3TPE
Verification: Words

2. 3TPE

a.
Edmonton knocked out the reigning champion in the previous round. Philly took out the league points leaders in their last round. Both teams have triumphed over very good teams to get this far. They are both equally impressive, but I think Edmonton takes the cake here. The younger core hints that this team may be contenders for seasons to come. [60]

b.
Oh the hungry youngsters for sure. I think I am in the situation now and it is only a matter of time before the Monarchs are showing up in the playoffs. That said, Edmonton has been very impressive and I think they have a good shot at winning it all. This is a win win for Edmonton as their young core are going to get valuable experience either way. If they lose, they will come back hungrier next season. [79]

d.
I like Edmonton, they scored more goals during the season and finished third, one point behind Philly, in the league standings.The Blizzard scored so much in fact, they led the league with a +207 goal differential. I like to see different teams make the finals and it has been a while since the Blizzard were there. [57]

12. 2TPE
Well, well, well, Edmonton wins the Challenge Cup. Congrats to them! I did not have that predicted, but hey, that is hockey for you. Both teams came swinging with a high amount of goals in the first few games. Philly forced the game 7 with a huge shutout win only to have Edmonton come back with momentum and finish the job. Both teams had stellar seasons and even better play off performances. This was probably the closest finals I have ever seen. Both teams wanted the win, both teams played outstanding, and both teams deserved it. I think Edmonton got very lucky in Game 7, not to take away from the win, but the Blizzard had more negative stat lines compared to the Forge. [124]

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Specters Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26  |  RIP TDZ
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2023, 04:52 PM by takethehorizon. Edited 2 times in total.)

Code:
10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
How do you think the IIHF federation you play for will do this season? Will you be better than last seasons? Why or why not?

Ireland finished last season IIHF in 3rd behind Germany and Japan with 23 points and falling to Germany. It was a difficult end to the S72 IIHF tournament for Ireland losing 3-0 unable to score. With an overall younger core, Ireland will be the most scary moving forward in the next couple of seasons. Beau Kavanagh is excited to be leading the way in net for Ireland. Brendan Laroux and Seamus O'Slapahan lead the way on the blueline for Ireland as the top point getters last season and look to continue their offensive success heading into the upcoming tournament. Mads McBride continues to be the top point getter for Ireland who is also the veteran leading the way for the boys in green and orange. Hargreeves as the top center looks to stay on top with his goal scoring ability and activating the wingers on his line. With a young core maturing at the right time, Ireland looks to be a force for seasons to come.

Word Count: 166

Code:
11. Written, 3 TPE, Teammates is Teammates (150 words min.)
Do you have any IIHF teammates that play your own SHL team? Do you feel your chemsitry from the SHL carries over to the IIHF? Does your GM play you together, or not? Should they?

Beau Kavanagh unfortunately does not share Irish ice with any of his Great Falls Grizzlies teammates. However, Beau has begun a positive relationship with defenseman Billy Brooks and centerman Adrian O'Rugg on Ireland that he will also share the ice with in Baltimore next season once called up. Beau believes the chemistry will help them succeed down the road once he makes the jump to the SHL. Developing chemistry is an underrated stats that cannot be measured nor evaluated but only developed the more players spend on the ice together. Especially with dman Billy Brooks who he will play very closely with. "The more we play together the faster out chemistry builds which will only help the team moving forward". Beau is very excited to make the jump to the SHL and knowing some familiar faces in the locker will only make the transition that much easier to help him successfully adapt to the big league. O'Rugg and Brooks both have had great careers thus far with Baltimore and Beau can only hope to have similar success.

Word Count: 177

Code:
12. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 73! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

Edmonton does it again and brings home the Challenge Cup! What a series! Any series that goes 7 games is proof that both teams matched up well against each other and gave it their all. Congrats to the Forge who gave it their all but ultimately fell one game short of their ultimate goal. Justin Time was able to edge it out over Base Pack in the goalie bout. What I found most interesting was that both goalies came into the league together in S67! Since the series went to 7 games it really could have gone either way. Sometimes the bounces just don't seem to go your way and as a result you don't receive the outcome you'd expect. 

Word Count: 120

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

SHL GM CW Pass

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

1. king

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2023, 06:30 PM by Crash_Conrad. Edited 3 times in total.)

1. TRIVIA (3 TPE)
Verification Word: crate

2a. I have to say it is definitely nice to have some change and Im not salty about my team yet since I have yet to debut in the SHL. Next year there will be even more change whenn Baltimore makes it! But for now, Edmonton and Philly are the juggernauts and one of them will be lifting the cup. New blood in the finals means new drive and new ambition to etch their names in this cup. Especially this Edmonton team, its been a very long journey, and both these teams earned it! (1 TPE)

2d. The Philadelphia Forge are impressive. It's crazy that I said that about anything from Philly but at least its fictional! That being said, they have what it takes and their drive and determination are certainly amazing. I can see just by looking at this team that they pass the eye test with flying colors. That plus their color scheme it really pops out against the ice, they are definitely forged in fire! (1 TPE)

3. In a league like this where the real players dictate how active a squad is, the window should never really be closed for a great team. The Forge knew this and took advantage of it so good for them. Winning a cup shouldn't be like a last hurrah kind of thing where now its time to say goodbye and close that window. Unless there is a mass exodus for some strange reason, it should be possible to repeat or at least to try. Of course, the sim engine is so variable and anything can happen, but overall the good teams go where they should. Upsets can easily happen but there hasn't been anything ridiculous of late. Thats what made it so surprising that Montreal Patriotes tore it down, and seem more like the New England Patriots now. That was a long window and that one closed so maybe they felt the same lol. Edmonton and Winniipeg can learn something from the Forge's drive, but I think they know this already, as they are perennial contenders in their own right. (3 TPE)

[Image: nf6AAw2.png]

Check this space for further developments

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 12:24 PM by soevil. Edited 4 times in total.)

1. Trivia - Evil - 3 TPE

8. Upon further review - 3 TPE[Image: IMG_7930.jpg?ex=65668fba&is=65541aba&hm=...5eb81f7c7&]

12. Procrastinator special - 2 TPE - It looks like the Edmonton Blizzard have won the Challenge (or 4 star? I cant remember) Cup! How did they get there, you ask?! Well, I think they probably just ended up scoring more points than their opponents throughout the season, resulting in WINS Baby! Honestly I don't really follow the sims all that much because I think they are terrible, and also my team is bad so I didn't really have any reason to follow along in the post season. It does look like it was an exciting series, though, as it was tied up 3-3, resulting in a game 7 finale in which Louise St. Martin scored the winning goal with just minutes to spare! (117 words)

[Image: Morleyhockey.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2023, 11:07 PM by Ferda.)

Quote:2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Two new finalists mark the end of a dynasty in the west and the return of an old heavyweight in the east. Pick either of our finalists, and tell me what about them impresses you the most!
b. The Forge have won a cup with this core, while the Blizzard are sniffing this air for the first time in a while. Who would you rather be - the veteran team that's been here and won it before, or the hungry youngsters taking their first shot at glory?
c. The Blizzard upended a long-time nemesis in the Aurora to get here, while the Forge avenged several previous losses to the Wolfpack as well. Who had the more impressive victory to punch their ticket to the cup final, and why?
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

a. The Blizzard coming back to the Challenge Cup finals is a real head-turner. What gets me is how they bounced back, taking down that long-standing dynasty in the west. It's like they flipped the script and said, "We're back, and we mean business."

b. Give me the hungry newcomers any day – the Blizzard. Sure, the Forge has been here and grabbed the cup before, but there's something exciting about a team getting their first taste of glory. The Blizzard's raw determination might just be the secret sauce for a surprise win.

c. Gotta hand it to the Blizzard; beating the Aurora was a boss move. Putting an end to a long-time nemesis is no small feat. The Forge avenging losses is cool and all, but the Blizzard's win just feels more epic, considering the history between them and the Aurora.

d. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I'm rolling with the Blizzard. They've got this vibe, taking down the big guns in the west. While the Forge has a cup in the bag, the hungry Blizzard might be the disruptors we didn't know we needed. Let the good times roll in Edmonton!

Quote:3. Written, 3 TPE, Forged in Fire (150 words min.)
The Forge and the Patriotes both won cups in recent memory, but while the Patriotes called it a window and tore everything down to the boards, their expansion brothers in Philadelphia have found a way to get back to the dance. How did they do it? Can they keep it up? What should teams like Winnipeg and New England learn from them?

So, the Philly Forge, right? They're like the kings of comebacks after their expansion. Unlike their buddies, the Patriotes, who hit the reset button, the Forge found a way back to the big dance. How'd they pull it off? Well, it's all about smart player moves, killer management calls, and just building a damn good team. Now, can they keep the party going? That's the big question. They gotta stick to what works—keep developing the talent, making savvy roster moves, and finding that sweet spot between experience and young blood. And hey, Winnipeg and New England, take notes! The Forge's secret sauce is all about steady improvement, smart recruiting, and creating a vibe that screams "winning." No need to tear it all down; just keep evolving. In a nutshell, the Forge's story is a chill lesson in bouncing back, making smart moves, and showing that you can climb to the top without hitting the reset button. They're the cool kids on the block, and other teams should definitely take a page from their playbook.

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE, Winter is Coming (150 words min.)
Unlike their rivals, who have literally never been bad, the Blizzard were deep in the doldrums not too many seasons ago. Now that they've reached the mountaintop, how did they pull off such a strong rebuild? What can other teams currently facing hard times learn from their success?

Alright, let's talk about the Blizzard for a sec. They were, like, stuck in a serious funk not too long ago. But now? They're sitting pretty at the top. So, how'd they go from rock bottom to ruling the roost? It's all about that savvy rebuild game. They got serious about player development, nailed their draft picks, and made some slick moves with the roster. It wasn't a quick fix, more like a slow burn to building a team that means business. For teams in a bit of a pickle, the Blizzard's vibe is all about patience. You can't flip the script overnight. Invest in your players, make smart moves, and understand that greatness takes time. It's a marathon, not a sprint, my friend. In a nutshell, the Blizzard's success is like a cool story for teams going through a rough patch. By playing the long game, making wise choices, and staying the course, they show that even in the chilliest of times, you can bounce back and hit the big leagues.

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

GM Pass

[Image: ZIFmexT.png]

[Image: XigYVPM.png]

1. Verification Word

a. I have no connection to the Forge and yet I find this team really impressive. They're one of the more recent teams in the league and yet they have built a winning culture and everyone on their roster seems to trust the plan. Being a good team is relatively easy to accomplish but staying at the top for so long is not.
b. I haven't won anything in this league so of course I would rather already have a cup and be able to relax. Being in the finals is exciting either way but losing without knowing if you'll get a shot again is hard. When you've already achieved what you wanted, a loss is a bit easier to take.

3. I haven't followed the Forge or the Patriotes too closely but it's a tale as old as time (rather, as old as the league) where you have teams that are just always good or at least for a very long time and others that have a small window and decide to rebuild right after they think it has closed. Philadelphia is a team that have been blessed with high earners for about as long as they've been in the league and they have found ways to replace their aging players. They have stayed competitive and therefore have no reason to sell their assets for a rebuild. I don't think Winnipeg in particular have anything to learn from them though, because they've been one of the best teams in the league for many seasons now. They have a hard time finishing in the finals but they were defending champs and have reached the western finals. Not too shabby.

[Image: Oqsvuu4.png]
FranceCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersFrance

J GM/SHL HO CW pass

[Image: loreoh.gif]
[Image: eP8F2Ne.png][Image: xm4idGe.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png][Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max
Verification: applepie

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about!
b. The hungry youngsters are definitely in a more desirable position. If Philly misses their chance at this cup, I feel like the next one might be further in the future than they'd want. Edmonton on the other hand has only just entered their prime competitive window and should have a few more chances to redeem themselves if they lose this season.

c. Edmonton's 4-1 series win over Winnipeg is definitely more impressive. Taking a semi-final series against the reigning cup champs to only 5 games is an impressive feat. Philadelphia's past losses to New England were all so close that they were bound to come out on top of the matchup sooner or later. Going from 5 game losses to a 5 game win is much more impressive for the Blizzard.

Code:
Words: 50+ each

3. Written, 3 TPE, Forged in Fire (150 words min.)
I think when you see a team make it back to the championship multiple times it almost always has to be attributed to drafting consistently well. Tearing a franchise down and rebuilding after a window has been proven to work time and time again, however personally I think what The Forge have done is the mark of a truly great team and management. Sticking to your guns in the draft through a consistent pipeline of prospects that serve as auxiliary members of the team while old Veterans trudge their way through regression has helped Philadelphia maintain consistent roster depth and pure determination. Also not to be disregarded is the randomness and consistency when it comes to sports. You don't need to be absolute powerhouse to win a championship, you just need to consistently make the playoffs and give yourself a shot each year. Going all in certainly helps your chances to have it be "your year", but any season you make the playoffs that gives you even the slightest chance to win it all.

Code:
Words: 150+

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER