Create Account

S75 PT#2: Bobby Oh-Boy Due: Monday, February 26th @ 11:59pm PST

Option 2:

Written Task: How does your player train skating? Leg workouts? Bag skates for days? Some combination of the above? As before, your player does not need to be correct. Feel free to write absolute madness, flex your knowledge of real-world athletic training, or anywhere in between.

Chicken his skating training did not come automatically, a big reason for this was that normal skates did not fit chicken his feet. Because of this skating came pretty late into Chicken his Hockeying career, learning to hockey on the European fields before moving onto the North American SHL to make better use of his physical attributes. Since then Chicken spent a lot of time learning and improving his skating ability, sometimes showing up early to the training to make some nice laps around the ice and performing some of the harder maneuvers you can try to perform on the rink, while other times staying late and doing the same. When starting out in his career Chicken even found a way to train with the Colorado Raptors before his official SHJML draft, where he ended up going to the Yukon Malamutes, learning how to skate by the nice people at the Raptors. In the end the skating has been coming quite naturally, and Chicken is sometimes putting his extra training time into other skills than just skating.

177 words

[Image: FuriousChicken.gif]

After popping a joint supplement before practice, Valerija felt different. During practice she was skating with more speed than normal. During the scrimmage she did something remarkable.  She picked up the puck from her goaltender, flew down the ice,  dangled through the second liners, and buried the puck top shelf. No one was expecting a shutdown defender to score like that, least of all Valerija herself. "Guess there is more to me that defense after all" she said to her teammates after the play. The coach called it a nice trick, but urged her to use it sparsely as she is a key point of the defense and doing that too often would jeopardize the net. Teammates asked her if she was using PEDs. But she knew she had a new pregame ritual and a visitor to look foward towards.

My main way to train my legs is the leg press. But as I am a hockey player I put a little twist on it. I wear my skates. This not only helps with getting those big leg muscles, but also really helps ankle strength to prevent injuries. I mean, it can also go really sideways if you take too much weight and your weak ankles twist in your skates and wreck your knees and ankles, but that is why you train smart and start with a lower weight. The best way to train is a pulling competition. You attack a rope around you and your buddies waist, you both start at the center dot, and you skate towards opposite bluelines. This is the hardest thing you will do in your life. Loser is buying beers for the team, and bragging rights are always worth fighting for. It is the most grueling leg workout you can get.

[Image: NOLA-oiduser.png]

Dry land workouts were a huge part of real-life Valpix's own skating development (albeit a different flavor of skating - speed skating), and you can honestly do a lot with it, which has helped Louise St. Martin throughout her career. I forget what it's called, but I used to have this thing where you could slide on it that was intended to develop your stride, and I also owned a band that I would tie to something where I would be able to lean and simulate the form used for turning. It worked well other than the time I ripped off a part of my parents' porch because I tied to something that was not ready to deal with my thiccness.....it all helped me on the ice and it's something that's borrowable.

In addition, there's also plenty of just weight work that helps. Leg presses, squats, stuff like that. It's not just top speed that's important, I'd argue acceleration is even moreso.

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

Y'know, when it comes to my skate training, Launchpad McQuack doesn't play by the usual rules. It's all about embracin' the chaos and turnin' every glide into an adventure. So, instead of your regular leg workouts, I'm all about "DuckTales Thrust Squats." I squat and quack my way to strength, channelin' the vibes of Scrooge McDuck's money bin for that extra motivashion. Gotta keep those legs ready for any unexpected landings! Bag skates? Nah, I prefer "Cloud Surfin'." I strap on my trusty aviator goggles, catch the updrafts, and ride the clouds like I'm chasin' the tailwind of an ancient prophecy. It's not just about stamina; it's about feelin' the wind beneath my feathars. And who needs typical cardio when you can have "Sky High Jams"? I put on my fav'rite '80s tunes, jump on the skateboard, and roll through the city like I'm in an epic montage. Tony Hawk would be proud of these moves, and so would Launchpad. Now, 'bout those rocket boosters – you bet I've got 'em! I call it "Launchpad's Jetstream Skates." Strapped with jet-powered rollers, I soar through the air, performin' aerial acrobatics that even Darkwing Duck would envy. It's not just 'bout speed; it's 'bout takin' flight in style.

[Image: zayn.png?ex=65e9b101&is=65d73c01&hm=c0f0...y=lossless]
Kyle Sux Lmap
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2024, 05:50 PM by Kyamprac. Edited 1 time in total.)

Option 1

I don't think scoring a goal is going to prompt Mia Lavoie to change positions. After all, she's already in a position where she's encouraged and expected to do just that - score or help her teammates score off the wing. Maybe reminiscing with ol' Bobby Orr gave her a bit of inspiration of sorts in finding a more exceptional way to go about her game, but it seems more likely the mass amounts of time she has spent putting in the work, practicing and building chemistry with her linemates have contributed to her success than a dream discussion with a famous ghost. Having said all of that, she does still look forward to who or what comes next.. maybe the Great One himself will choke on a gambling ad and appear as a ghost next with the best bit of advice yet. Every little bit helps in taking things to the next level. Except maybe illegal performance enhancing drugs. I don't think ghost inspiration counts as that, though right?

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid, swoosh and eni for sigs! <3

Code:
Graphic Task: Draw your player having a moment of freak success when playing out-of-position. They're doing something awesome that their natural position ordinarily wouldn't be in a position to do. As long as it's hockey and it's not normally part of your player's position, you're good.

[Image: 4KSLDBS.png]

[Image: 66818_s.gif]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]

[Image: photostudio-1708647985316.jpg]

[Image: photostudio-1710898490476.jpg]

Seeing a rookie pull off a move like that causes everyone to stop what they're doing and just stare slack-jawed at what just happened.  And honestly I've gotta admit that I was just as confused when it happened.  It didn't feel like I was the one controlling my body and despite my best efforts the rest of the day I couldn't replicate any of it.  What started as initial amazement turned into coach and the rest of the guys just shrugging it off as lucky and moving on, but I can't shake the feeling that there was something more to it and that after Bobby Orr's nighttime visit his spirit was with me in those moments.  That begs the next question though: was it just an aftereffect of his visit or did he choose to give me his abilities as a lesson? I don't know that answer yet,but after two ghostly visits I can't wait to find out if there's a third.

Written Option 2

After everyone has cleared the ice for practice and before the zamboni comes out to clean up the ice, Boots likes to grab his old Blundstones and step out onto the ice an run as fast and as hard as he can without falling down. Without much grip he has to control himself so he doesn't crash into the boards but also be able to get enough grip to make an explosive start and get across the rink. Once the zamboni driver is ready, Boots gets off the ice in full sprint and heads out the back door and starts doing laps outside the rink. Could be rain or shine. He'll hit every puddle he can find and head back to the rink once he can barely feel his legs. The boots come off and they sit by his bag ready for the next run. Same dirt and water all over them.

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2024, 09:06 PM by karey.)

[Image: IMG_8949.png?ex=65ea6437&is=65d7ef37&hm=...c08d841fb&]

Goal scorer Prince Marius goes Super Saiyan and still registers no points in a 9001 - 0 game. Very out of character for the sniper

The best exercise for hockey, specially in such an intensive and draining position in the ice as is defense, requires training of the bottom core (from the waist below), and thus requires an exercise focused on that. With that, I train sport to improve sport. Fight fire with fire. Tennis proficiency include the legs and footwork training necessary to excel in the hockey ring as well as in the tennis court. Levesque comes from a multi sport family, and while tennis and pro wrestling are his first loves, hockey is the perfect sport profession for him. Excelling with grace, elegance and style (as in tennis); instead of agressivity and brute force, as one would expect from a defensive player. However, tennis doesn't only help train legs and footwork; but also encompasses arm strength, something vital to chuck the puck as far as possible when in a dire position defensively, as a last ditch effort.

Credit to Meo for the sig
[Image: image.png?ex=6578da45&is=65666545&hm=61c...d8861e9fc&]

Prompt 2

Crystal always starts skate training with some laps around the rink to warm up, at least one of which is entirely "Bubble" motions around therink, like hsr old youth hockey coach had taught her. From there, she does a little bit of bag skating and line to line skating. After that, comes the bit of her skating training that isn't quite conventional. She pulls a martial arts dummy clad in a helmet and Vancouver Whalers jersey, onto the ice, skates blue line to blue line, then back to center ice against the boards where the dummy is waiting for her. She will then drop the gloves and begin punching the dummy as if in an actual fight. She does this a few more times, before another dummy is brought onto the ice at the far goal line. This time, Crystal will skate blue line to blue line, then to the goal line, where she'll fight this one (dressed in an Edmonton jersey, naturally). After the first drill, her trainer will switch between the 2 dummy randomly. Lastly, a 3rd dummy is brought out, dressed naturally, in a Canada WJC jersey. This one is more advanced, mounted on a remote control chassis and capable of swinging padded arms at Crystal. The drill will repeat with Crystal now fighting the drone wherever it is on the ice when her trainer calls out. Usually this takes all the energy out of Crystal and she finishes with a cool down exercise then eats a good meal.

[Image: 8FnCVh9.jpg.]

[Image: XigYVPM.png]

[Image: UmZVJaz.png]
[Image: 6gdbFeP.png][Image: auXbs4O.png]
[Image: 1oMA17u.png]

Option 2:

When you are a natural, a generational talent, a prodigy, you do not need to worry about skate training. Think of me as a true weightlifter. You know the guys that look like a cartoon tough guy. Huge upper body, big strong arms, tiny thin legs. That is because we all know legs, they are meaningless. They don't actually need to be trained in order to become stronger and better. That is me with skating. I do not do any training for skating. When you are already at the pinnacle of performance in one area there is absolutely no need to improve further. This is a bonus no other player can take advantage of and allows me to focus on other areas of my game. That is right, I regularly join AAA midget practice and go there for hitting practice, drop the gloves and fight a few of these 14 and 15 year olds. Now it is not all about me and my needed practice, I will also show the kids what not to do during my time and spear, slash, and high stick the kids. You know I am a bit of a role model. Once again, no skating training, just working over some teens...cause I am awesome.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Option 2

The training of such a high class, super talented player as Meo Vanbiesbrouck is some what of a delicate thing. He spends a lot of time getting his skating in and training his skating skills. He starts by a rigorous morning in the gym doing squats, lunges, shuffles, and leg press. This will all help his ability to push off and keep the skating skills at top level. He then makes sure to have a balance meal to keep the energy levels up. He will follow this up by setting a side time for a big stretching session to keep him nimble and flexible. The biggest part of being a goalie is that flexibility and making sure he can stretch and bend the way he needs to make saves. Last he finishes up with a good on ice session doing some skating drills and taking shots in all sorts of ways like game time simulations.

Quote:155 words

[Image: image.png?ex=65728e45&is=65601945&hm=aa5...7eb2e58f9&][Image: vanbiesbrouck_ff.png?ex=6578c8f6&is=6566...a506d1cd1&]
Sig by adamantium