Create Account

S76 SMJHL PT #3 - Rivalry Week Deadline: Monday, April 22nd @ 11:59pm PST

Max’s rivalry is with the statistics compiler in the recent Detroit vs San Diego game, who only recorded 8 seconds of penalty killing time for Max as well the rest of Detroit’s PK. Looking at the times of penalties issued and power play goals scored, San Diego scored their first power play goal five seconds after the first penalty was issued and their second power play goal 10 seconds after the second penalty, which puts us at 15 seconds of penalty killing. Detroit’s PK was clearly done dirty by the statistics crew. You could argue that it was the San Diego power play unit that did us dirty, but two goals in 15 seconds of power play time is good effort, which is respectable. In all honesty this is probably just a honest mistake and a small lapse of attention from the statistics crew, but nevertheless it gives Max some extra motivation to work on his defensive game and to try and shut down San Diego’s power play in the future matches.

172 words

i am agorka over in the ISFL on the forums:

ISFL PT

[Image: yxRlGdj.png]

From looking around in the LR and a cursory view of history, Detroit seems to have a dislike of the St. Louis Scarecrows. It makes some sense geographically since they're a day's drive by car (though admittedly my US geography is a lot better than my Canadian). It also makes sense personally for Smitty and myself. St. Louis was the only team I never heard from during the scouting process, which particularly stung because I was both born in St. Louis and am a fan of the St. Louis Blues irl. As it turns out FHM agrees-- Smitty's first goal came against the Scarecrows despite his defensive role being set to Crease Clearing Defenseman. The history goes back even further; in a 7-2 rout of the Scarecrows by the Falcons, Smitty blocked 3 shots, laid down 5 hits, and got a takeaway on debut. The undead fish clearly doesn't like STL, and a scarecrow isn't enough to ward him away.

160 words

[Image: hiFAlFV.png]

I haven't been a member of this great league for a long amount of time, but in the limited time I've been here, Vancouver's greatest rival seems to be....consistency. We look amazing one simulation, then we lose 4 of our next 5 games on the second stream. We still have a long way to go as a team, and we appear to be showing improvement from last year but still, would be nice to win with a bit more consistency. As for which TEAM is our greatest rival, so far this year, I'd have to say it's my former team: the Kelowna Knights. They've had our number all season, including putting 9 goals on us just a few streams ago. I've been there for a few games last season and I can confirm that Kelowna has some great players and even better management, but still, would be a lot nicer if they didn't have their best games against us.

Trevor "The Tijuana Tornado" Lopez

The Detroit Falcons are out looking for blood in their next match up against the St. Louis Scarecrows. Not only are those scared crows terribly inferior birds, but they're also a bunch of cheaters! After a truly lopsided match to kick off the season in which the Falcons dominated the ice to a 7-2 victory, it was clear that the scaredy birds had to make a change to keep pace. Just a little over a month since their first matchup, the Falcons fell victim to an overwhelming force in a 6-2 loss. What changed? More skaters. Just too much energy from the opposing bench. Then they lost again with a matching score, still exhausted from the matches earlier in the week. Amazingly the most recent match had a reversal with the Falcons declaring air superiority coming out on top at 6-3. The first match after getting caught? I don't think this is a coincidence. Let's see how the rest of these grudge matches play out.

[Image: Chairy-Falcon.jpg]

The only rivalry that matters is who we are chasing in the standings. All of the previous games/series is cool for the storylines but at the end of the day, that is history. Quebec City are 26-4-1 right now and have a +70 goal differential. They are far a head of the pack and who we are chasing. They've managed to be so dominant because Froya Solberg has been lights out with 52 points in 31 games so far but they also have 6 players who are currently point per game or higher too. We are pretty much at the half-way point of the seasons so we need to turn it up a gear if we want to catch-up to them. Another rivalry you could look at is a team like the Colorado Raptors who we likely will be battling for a final wild card spot. Once you're in the playoffs, it's anyone's game.

Falcons Canada

The new rivalry storyline picking up are between San Diego Tidal and Ottawa Highlanders the two new expansion team. Rivalries although healthy can bring out the best and worst of a person. Yet a force that can be recognize with in order to get you to improve. So fat Highlanders are not performing well giving Tidals a chance to prove themselves in the league giving them an idea that their rival will be easy defeat. However don’t count the Highlanders out yet because the party has just begun. Will this newfound confidence get into Tidal’s head? Who knows… I am just here to make story.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

The biggest rival of the St Louis Scarecrows, are the Detroit Falcons and the Quebec City Citadelles. They both got the best of the Crows in the past years in the playoffs and each time we played each other, the series were hardly fought. 

My brother told me about the rivalry with QCC and how they got beaten 3 times in a row by the Citadelles in the Conference Final. I don't want to be in the same position as him so I want to win and beat those team very bad.

Lately I know there is some tension with the Carolina Kraken since the management of the team have changed, but in the history of the team, I'm confident that Detroit and Québec are the biggest rivals of St Louis. Obviously that can change in the future, but the team need to make some deep playoffs run and faced the same team in a short period of time to create a rivalry. But I'm not sure that will happen with another team than those I've already listed.

If I had to choose a team to be rivals with it would likely be the Nevada Battleborn for obvious reasons when it came to draft night. I am pretty sure a certain head of the team probably was talking about some certain things and making poor May O'Nayse out to be a big bad scary monster and being skolded for not wanting to answer a certain draft question that should not be on a public thread thing anyways.

I guess technically I should thank them for being able to be drafted to a great place and at 69th overall, double win right?

Anyways, I guess a rivalry should be competitive right but the Battleborn have not beaten the Timber in any of the chances they have had. So many it is just a personal rivalry instead of on the ice. I guess in general though, finding a team identity is more important than playing the games but you do you!

Anyways again...it is a personal beef which is included in this topic I guess also passing on the draft even though there is zero chance in hell I would want to play there anyways. To all the other teams in the draft as well, sorry for your lies fed to you! :D

Yes, maybe I am a bit salty even though I am grateful but personally it was a little annoying. Did I get sad or mad? Maybe mad a little but more was laughing than anything. Hey, I like the SHL as a whole but the general identity can be...a little much. So maybe the league is my rival, I don't know. Happy to meet and interact with most the people here. Some are...obnoxious. Smile

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

I consider the Kelowna Knights to be the biggest rival of the Vancouver Whalers. At the end of the day, some of the biggest rivalries in sport come down to nothing more profound than simple geography. There's something about seeing their fans attending your games in more numbers, the dueling chants at the games, and knowing those jerks are just a couple hours down the highway that really gets the hateful juices flowing. With both teams unfortunately lurking in the basement at the moment, the rivalry has had some time to cool. However, both teams have solid young cores on the way to being impact players, and as the fans start to get more excited about the future, that is becoming infectious with the players. As they continue to develop and both teams being expected to come out of their rebuild at the same time, fans and players alike can expect to get more explosiveness in the rivalry going forward

For the Maine Timber it is an extremely easy answer. The Newfoundland Berserkers will always be one of our greatest rivals. Sadly this is not because there has been a history of a perfect back and forth matches. The Berserker's were the bane of the Timbers existence for an extremely long time. They were the reason that the Timber found an early exit from the playoffs for 10 consecutive meetings. Recently the rivalry has finally taken a nice turn towards the Timber. Maine has managed to end the curse and allowed for 3 playoff series victories over NL in the recent seasons. With this recent success in the rivalry it has cause some wonder if this is in fact the Timber's #1 rival. With those questions being asked it did not take long for NL to remind the Trees where they stand in this rivalry and pulled off an impressive victory over the team last season in the conference finals. Assuring us all that this rivalry is alive and well.

Code:
170 words

[Image: SouthPaw.gif]

The Whalers' main rival currently is the Kelowna Knights. This is because both teams were bad last season and this season they are looking to win a lot more games. So far in the season, the matchup for the Whalers and knights is 2-4 In almost all the games the winner has scored at least 6 goals. This is a high-scoring affair when these two teams meet on any given day. They want to show each other which team is the best new-looking team on the block. Also throughout all the games, there has been a total of 32 penalty minutes between the teams. So you know, they are giving it everything they got on the ice. 46 goals have also been scored throughout all the games. Defense is optional it seems when the knights and whalers get together. With more games to go in the season, one may wonder how many goals will be scored against each other and also how many more penalties will these teams rack up against each other.

[Image: ImShiny.gif]

Honestly speaking I have not followed the J enough in the past few seasons to really know where Kelowna is with its rivalries, though I've learned recently that our biggest one at the moment is probably Vancouver. It likely has something to do with both teams being in similar places with their rebuilds and that they both had poor seasons last season. It looks like so far Vancouver seems to be closer to being done with their rebuild while the Knights have a bit of ways to go still. I imagine a large part of it as well was the competing tanks last season, which Vancouver seems to have "won". Kelowna still ended up with the 2nd overall pick, which funny enough was eventually traded to Vancouver anyway. It is a bit of a funny matchup to name as rivals though given that the two teams really lack any playoff history over the past few seasons. Here's to hoping that changes in these next few seasons.

166 words

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

I think it's safe to say that every team in the league has a rivalry with the Carolina Kraken. Why? Because we're just that damn good, obviously. It's hard to not have a target on your back when season after season, every team in the league wishes they could be as awesome as you are. And now they are even drafting Emu's into the league, helping everyone customize and save on their home insurance, auto insurance, and their SMJHL trainings every week. It doesn't get any better than that! And then there's the mascot, a freakin' Kraken! I mean, it could easily defeat every other mascot in the league, probably all at the same time. The only one it might have trouble with is the Highlanders, because there can be only one. (If you get that reference, your back probably hurts now at your age.) But enough said, the Kraken are the top of the top and here to dominate.

Right now I would say the Ottawa highlanders rivals are the san diego tidal, if only because they were an expansion team in the same season as us. This also has the added factor that we are in the same division. In our first season they are definitely doing much better then we are but the J can change quickly so we will will have to revisit that over the next few seasons. We will see how things progress in the upcoming seasons, it would definitely be cool for this rivalry to persist but I personally believe its big playoff games that really create the best rivalries. There is also a big connection to the carolina kraken which could come into play as well as my own personal connection to the colorado raptors. Theres plenty of great teams out there and it will be awesome to see how things shape up over the future of the ottawa highlanders

[Image: Z8yXihx.png]