Create Account

S76 Championship Week Due: Thursday, May 23th @ 11:59 PM PST

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Raining

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Neither of the teams have been relying on one or two superstar forwards to do all their goal scoring in playoffs, but if you had to pick a player you expect to carry their team to cup who would it be?
b. Looking at save percentage and goals against average it seems that Beau Kavanagh has the upper hand over Justin Time. Do you think they do or are those numbers misleading?
c. Willow Söderberg-Snooks has 7 goals, 18 points, 18 takeaways and no giveaways, is that enough to make them best defenceman in finals? Who would you pick instead?
d. Which of the teams had easier path to finals?
e. Which one would win a fight, a lion or an eagle? How would it go?
f. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

D. I would say as someone with next to no knowledge of the league at large that San Francisco had the harder run of the two courtesy of the two teams they played that I don't belong to. Going back to the regular season Chicago is in a rough state getting only 22 wins making us an easy opponent, but Los Angeles put up 50 and Winnipeg put up 36 good for third most and eighth most respectively. Baltimore had to play a team in four way tie for 11th twice in that they played two of the teams in that logjam, and played 5th winningest team Philadelphia in the middle. Personally I'd rather play 11-14, 5, 11-14 than 17, 3, 8 which leads me to my conclusion.

Code:
Word Count: 127

E. I am going to confidently say that in a fight between a lion and an eagle that I am going to give it to the lion for an incredibly simple reason. You ever see a house cat versus literally any bird? Personally never seen a house cat lose such a fight outside of cartoons, but I'll admit that could just be a lack of experience for me in that regard. That said given what experience I do have seeing cats devour birds I am going to bank on the big cat over the big bird in this engagement as it seems the safe option to me.

Code:
Word Count: 106

F. Okay I am going to pick the San Francisco Pride for this as I think I picked them when I was doing playoff predictions. Well picked them in the sense that I believe the person I copied from had picked them as I do not actually know about hockey or the league at large. Now as to why I think that they will win I am honestly just going to go with my answer to the previous question. Maybe this is the season that they are going to make everybody play alongside their mascots and the lion eating the eagle demoralizes Baltimore enough to give San Francisco the edge to win it all.

Code:
Word Count: 113

Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Haven't I seen this already (150 words min.)
SHL has a playoffs setup that has teams in the same division playing each other for the first two rounds.With only 5 teams in each division it often means that same teams play versus each other season after season. This can lead to good rivalries but also get pretty repetitive. Do you think this is a good structure or would you like to see it changed? Why? You can but don't have to ignore limits of FHM.

Well in my honest opinion as a fan of a different sport I think the 2002-2019 NFL playoff format was the best. Out of thirty-two teams the top twelve made it with the eight division winners and two wildcards from each conference. Top two teams got a bye week and the rest of the playoffs were handled by seeding. Now admittedly we have a significantly different structure in regards to teams as well as how many teams make the playoffs to account for the fun of users given we are a simulation sports league rather than a real sports league. So to sort of merge the two to the best of my ability I would say the division winners are seeded 1 and 2, but after that the next six can come from either division based off win percentage and are seeded accordingly. Still guarantees top three teams of each division make it due to the number of teams, but allows conference rivalries rather than just division rivalries which is a good thing in my honest opinion. Speaking as a fan of a team involved in something like that as there is a team in the NFL known as the Green Bay Packers that has a grudge against the entire NFC West division as we knocked them out of playoff contention seven times in the last thirteen seasons. I think if we spread the love and rivalries more it will only lead to more entertainment. Also I know it said can, but don't have to ignore the limits of FHM I will state after the fact that I have zero familiarity with FHM and could not say if this is anywhere near possible within the game that we call home for our simulation.

Code:
Word Count: 293

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Camel

+3 TPE

Code:
SHL has a playoffs setup that has teams in the same division playing each other for the first two rounds.With only 5 teams in each division it often means that same teams play versus each other season after season. This can lead to good rivalries but also get pretty repetitive. Do you think this is a good structure or would you like to see it changed? Why? You can but don't have to ignore limits of FHM.

Well, I've been out of the SHL for quite some time, so my opinion is a bit moot here, but personally I really like the sort of "repetitiveness" of the playoff bracket. Does it get a bit boring at times? Eh, yeah sure I guess you could say that. But like mentioned in the prompt, this can lead to some really heavy hitting rivalries between teams. I think back to the days of my former player, Paul Binder, and the insane rivalry we built in ATL between us and Tampa, as well as Manhattan. Constantly we would destroy Manhattan in the season every game, and constantly we would get swept (or near swept) in the playoffs by them. They became this force that we were forced to reckon with. While it was annoying always being outdone by them post-season, the intensity these matchups brought was very fun to be a part of.

WC: 152

+3 TPE

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Neither of the teams have been relying on one or two superstar forwards to do all their goal scoring in playoffs, but if you had to pick a player you expect to carry their team to cup who would it be?
You gotta be crazy not to keep your eyes on Viktor Hargreeves. 125 points in the regular season and 33 points in the playoffs. Yeah, SFP might not be relying on "one superstar" because half of their team is made up of superstars. I think between him and Winters, SFP can pull this win off.
WC: 55

Code:
e. Which one would win a fight, a lion or an eagle? How would it go?
As someone who has owned many cats, an eagle doesn't stand a damn chance. Yeah they have mad sharp talons and can fly, but have you seen how high a cat can jump? I think the eagle will piss off the lion for quite some time, maybe even days, but one slip up by the eagle and it's game over.
WC: 60

+2 TPE

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]

6. "I've heard the complaints about the way our season has gone and the way it ended and I want to address them now. To everybody out there carping about this year - get over it and get over yourself. The last season - hell, the season before this one as well - we were gutted with players getting called up. The roster has been in massive flux and it's only going to carry on, we're losing some absolute rocks to the big leagues, but you know what? That's life in the juniors. We know going in that we have guys like Tomlander and like Kekkonen for four years maximum and then they're moving on up. That's how it goes, it's our job to do as much as we can in the meantime and I think we've done pretty goddamn well. Don't believe me? I've got a Four Star Cup-shaped friend who thinks I'm right and you're wrong. We're going to take these hits and we're going to improve on the roster we've got, and if you want to sit around whining then hey, there's the door."

The choice of Finland for Simo goes back genuinely well over a decade. Years and years ago I played in a couple of leagues that used EHM - the original freeware version of EHM - to run, and there were players that stuck in my head forever. One of them was named Jaaskelainen and he was an absolute beast for me on the blueline, just throwing hits and fighting and murdering people everywhere, so when the time came to concoct a boy for the SHL it was in tribute to him that I went with Finland. "Simo" specifically is because I could not actually remember the original Jaaskelainen's surname, and I've always loved the story of Simo Hayha the White Death.

Can I just write "Quebec sucks" until I hit the word limit? No? Fine.

It's a properly good final series because of the story behind it. Us in the SHL have seen the Citadelles turn into a monster of a team over last four seasons but regularly fall short in the postseason - you're welcome, by the way - and this is the final throw of the dice for the S74 core. They've got award candidate players up and down the roster and the team really has no weaknesses on paper, but win or lose their superstars are graduating this year and it truly is a do or die situation.

But opposite them are probably the most successful team of the last decade of SMJHL play. Maine have multiple Cups under their belts and even while Quebec have been topping the league tables, the Timber have never been that far behind. Last year, I said that Colorado had the capability to match Quebec blow for blow offensively and I think the same can be said now for Maine, especially with the monster season Mia Lavoie just put up.

Finally: Quebec sucks Quebec sucks Quebec sucks Quebec sucks Quebec sucks Quebec sucks

[Image: Skree.gif]
[Image: l9CZq3v.png]

CW Pass

Xavier Beausoleil
Patriotes
Position RW
Height : 6.5ft
Weight : 236lbs
[Image: Takk806.gif] [Image: sf4IwSc.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2024, 11:31 AM by ViN. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:

Reap

Code:
7. Graphic, 3 TPE, I have a plan
So either you won the cup or at least dream of doing so. And when you win you get to take cup with you and show it around. Create an image showing your player and most exotic place they would/will take the cup to.

[Image: pHOkibR.jpeg]

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Round 76
Create a graphic that shows a lion and an eagle fighting.

[Image: F9tmhkh.png]

9/8 TPE

[Image: TqPg1ou.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: wu5MVvy.png%5D]

Code:

Champion (3 TPE)

Code:

SHL has a playoffs setup that has teams in the same division playing
each other for the first two rounds.With only 5 teams in each division
it often means that same teams play versus each other season after
season. This can lead to good rivalries but also get pretty repetitive.
Do you think this is a good structure or would you like to see it
changed? Why? You can but don't have to ignore limits of FHM.

Rivalries are great and all, but we all play for the stats. If a team gets eliminated by the same team every season because that team just happens to be built to counter them, then it can become frustrating. Randomizing the order can fix this because then you're going against a random team every time. Sure, it would make seeding not really matter, however, as we all know, the top team is the one that comes out on top to win every single time. So seeding really doesn't matter in the current format because the better team will win, whether or not they are higher seeded or not. (Note: this is only the case in the playoffs; in the regular season, it is very different and any team can win due to the non-playoff teams affecting the simulation. It's a weird case with FHM, but we bare with it the best that we can.)

(3 TPE)

Code:
2b. Looking at save percentage and goals against average it seems
that Beau Kavanagh has the upper hand over Justin Time. Do you think
they do or are those numbers misleading?
I think the numbers are misleading. I've been in the SHL a short amount of time, but from what I can tell, Justin Time is the goalie that a lot of people always vote for to win goalie of the year. That means that he must be the better goalie.

(1 TPE)

Code:
2e. Which one would win a fight, a lion or an eagle? How would it go?
A lion would absolutely win in a fight against an eagle. Sure an eagle can fly, but lions are very fast, and as soon as the eagle tries to get in close to the lion, the lion would just grab it. As soon as the eagle is grabbed, the hit and run tactics would not work: GG.

(1 TPE)

8 Total TPE
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2024, 12:18 PM by Mutedfaith. Edited 1 time in total.)

Task 1: 3 TPE

Verification word: Trivia

Task 5: 3 TPE

in the current Simulation Hockey League playoffs setup, teams start their playoffs run against another team in their division. In theory, this could be a good way to both fuel some rivalries and ensure that we dont get semi finals with just four good teams from one division like we had in the old great lakes days. However, in practice this leads to teams playing each other for 4-7 games in a row, after already faceing eachother an ungodly number of times during the regular season as well. So rather than adding an interesting layer, we get more of the same old stuff. Especially if it leads to teams playing the exact same round 1 matchup for multiple seasons in a row. I can tell you, having to face the Winnipeg Aurora for 3 or 4 seasons in a row during round one got real old real fast for us and did absolutely nothing to spark a rivalry or make it interesting in any other way.

Task 11: 2 TPE

My IIHF home country is Switzerland. At the time of creation of my first player (Cal Labovitch, S52) the Swiss federation didnt have a ton of active players, so I had a shot at making the team pretty fast (IIRC I played IIHF before I got to play a single SMJHL game). It was also a European country, and not a "traditional" hockey country (tho RL Swiss team is pretty dope too). By the time I recreated, I was rooted so deeply in the team that I didnt feel like leaving and finding a new federation, so I decided to stick around and make Julian Swiss too.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2024, 12:18 PM by Mutedfaith. Edited 1 time in total.)

Double

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

GM Pass

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

CW Pass IIHF Fileworker

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Citadelles Citadelles Stars Blizzard Canada 
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-22-2024, 07:48 PM by Thunfish. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. Portimonense

8. [Image: PoQSKcu.png]

10. I guess I see us reaching the top four. Look, Czechia is a team that is still building up to a peak form that it could and should get down the line, that is just how it is. If I can be realistic about it, then yeah, I think it will be another effort to improve our standing in the game and whatnot. It is not like we will undersell it or anything, it just is not part of our game to lay low.

But we have to understand our state as is and we can not just jump over everyone in terms of skill as is. I think we got a decent shot to nail a midtable finish, maybe nail a shocker win or two as well. Just beware that when Czechia gets really good, you all were very well forewarned. Saying it as a friend, that is all, yes? Hint hint.

11. I took it because I was invited to do so. As some folks might know, my player is from the Netherlands and I myself am from Brazil, neither country happens to be represented in the IIHF and I generally doubt I would be able to not participate in the IIHF, nor did I wish to not participate so I just accepted any invitations. Czechia came first, therefore, I play now for Czechia.

To be fair, their pitch was pretty good and I am fine with playing for teams in need. Would not be the first time I did so in the past and I imagine I will be doing that again in the future either with a new player or as an aging Sunrise. I happen to be pretty fine with it.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2024, 02:50 PM by zeagle1. Edited 1 time in total.)

Trivia Confirmation word: ATL
I cannot imagine that there is any correlation between a team having the best regular season record and making it through the playoffs and winning the challenge cup. There are so many factors at play that determine who will have the best regular season record, especially nowadays that teams are forbidden from using the sim to test. Luck will always be in play over the course of both the regular season and the playoffs, and to have that luck in both line up should be incredibly rare, even in in theory the best regular season team would continue on to the playoffs and be the best playoff team. Beyond that, you have to account for the natural variance of any sporting event, simulation or not. So in short, I do not believe there is a curse against the best regular season team, I just believe that it is extremely difficult to win a challenge cup!
Code:
155 words
2b. 
I think looking at statistics in a vacuum can be misleading. Beau Kavanagh has a much smaller sample size than Justin Time, with 25 GP to Justin's 55 games. If Beau was a better player, he would have started more games this season, simple as that. As such, I expect Justin to carry SFP to victory.
Code:
56 words
2d. I believe that the Baltimore Platoon have had a harder path to the challenge cup finals than the San Francisco Pride did. Baltimore had to make it through a feisty Atlanta squad, perennial contenders in Philly, and the ever dangerous Hamilton. Meanwhile, San Francisco beat down a hapless Chicago, had a close series with LA, and dominated Winnipeg.
Code:
58 Words

[Image: 4x2jj4a.gif]
S58 Elias Armia Award Winner

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max Verification word: Kiekko
6. Written, 3 TPE, Next season will be ours
we know there is a lot of frustration with the dragons fans since we have been in a rebuild and haven't been doing so good but don't worry calgary fans there is a bright future ahead of us as you might know the solbergs and some other major prospect from the SJHML will join our team next season with along a lot of the old players staying i would say that in the matter of 5-10 years we have gotten the cup here in calgary Since (insert last calgary cup year) so now you just gotta cheer on the team to success without you fans there wouldn't be any success for us you are the once that bring it to calgary so don't worry we will bring the cup home in the near future just hope and the team will do their jobs win their games enter the playoffs and win it. (157 words)
11. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country: I chose my country for SHL because i live in finland and i have cheered on the finnish national team for my entire life along with just being a finn to the end so it was a no brainer for me to choose finland also when i first joined the SHL i looked at all the nations needs and saw finland needing defenders and me who wanted to be a defender picked finland for that reason also if i wasn't so into finland and their hockey teams and national team. so yeah this is why i chose finland as my country for IIHF (104 words)

[Image: cVahF90.png]
[Image: 3XFmqtw.jpeg]
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2024, 08:15 PM by Seb. Edited 1 time in total.)

PBE Affiliate

CW Trivia verification word: stop

Credit to Meo for the sig
[Image: image.png?ex=6578da45&is=65666545&hm=61c...d8861e9fc&]
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2024, 04:25 PM by kenvald. Edited 1 time in total.)

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
trivial

Quote:5. Written, 3 TPE, Haven't I seen this already (150 words min.)
I'd like to see some different teams facing each other in the early rounds. I remember from my time as a GM for New England that we faced Hamilton or Buffalo in the first round for what was probably 7 seasons straight. While it builds up the rivalries a little bit each series, it makes the regular season less important. Since there are no byes or wild cards to play for, you know you just somber through the season and will face the same teams as usual when things actually start to matter.

I'd like to see some overlap between conferences plus the introduction of wild cards. Let's disregard the divisions and conferences and instead use the main league standings to determine who gets in. And then have the first seed play the 16th seed, the second seed play the 15th seed, etc, etc. While the first round eliminations would be even less partial than they are today it would make the regular season standings mean more.

Quote:ISFL Affiliate, 3 TPE
ISFL Offseason Task

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players