Create Account

S76 Championship Week Due: Thursday, May 23th @ 11:59 PM PST
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2024, 10:27 PM by leviadan. Edited 1 time in total.)

1) bang

4) I think all of that is just superstitious mumbo jumbo. I think you're better off coming into the series as the best team you can be, and naturally you'd want that to be the number one seed in the SHL. It means you have a proven track record of success, it means you have home ice advantage in every round, what reason is there to not want to be number one other than a made up curse? Obviously it doesn't guarentee you a win, but nothing does. A goalie can get hot at a bad time, a goal scorer can go cold, any number of things can go wrong for you or right for the other guys, but none of that is based on the standings. You're putting yourself in the best possible position to win it all if you're the top team in the league and that's all you can ask for. It may never work out, but you just have to give youself the best shot. That's all there is to it in my opinion.

11) I chose Finland this time around because I thought it would be a fun country to research. Last time with Burlok I went with Germany because I have family there and I was lucky enough to visit a few times, so I wanted to pay homage to that. With Pinli though I didn't really have a strong idea of where I wanted to go, so I just sort of picked a couple countries and started looking around their small towns on street view. I ended up having a lot of fun looking at places in northern Finland and I eventually landed on Utsjoki. I love mountains and it looked very scenic and peaceful, so ultimately that ended up being the choice! Maybe one day I'll visit there myself!

TPE: 8/8

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=666c7cf4&is=666b2b74&hm=ab...694e07b12&]

pt pass fileworker

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

PBE PT Kahn

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

ho pass

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

HO pass

[Image: 66168_s.gif]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2024, 09:38 PM by Bonk. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. Belly
2. e.) A loin vs an eagle. Well, that would not take long so good thing I only need fifty words. The lion would win. The eagle would swoop down a few times and would probably scratch the lion a few times, but the lion would hit the eagle with a claw and the eagle would hit the ground and the lion would eat it. Simple as that. 
Words ~66
9. 4 TPE Podcast  BSH 76CW Pod

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

CW pass

[Image: Svatos2.png?ex=660626ee&is=65f3b1ee&hm=4...height=350] [Image: sig.png?ex=660330ca&is=65f0bbca&hm=574bd...9bdc77fda&]

Task 1 – 3 TPE

Verification

Task 2 – 4 TPE

a. I think you have to pick Hargreeves here. The man was an absolute beast throughout the whole regular season and if there’s someone who can turn it on in an instant it’s probably him. There’s not to say that anyone else can’t either, but he’s got so much talent that I wouldn’t be surprised. As an honorable mention I’ll say Olubori. The guy knows how to score goals, and if he finds space that ability is going to be dangerous.
b. I think the numbers may be in Kavanagh’s favor, but you can never count out a guy like Time. Not to mention, he’s a Challenge Cup Champion, and that experience of playing in these high pressure situations is something that cannot be quantified. I think both are great goalies and both have great teams in front of them that the stats are not too important, the experience more than makes up the difference.
c. I think that’s a strong case. No giveaways is incredible, especially when you play in the playoffs against such good opponents and as a defenseman you’re constantly put under pressure. TO be able to stay calm and not make mistakes is incredibly valuable. I don’t think people will truly grasp how having no giveaways is insanely impressive and probably harder than a lot of some offensive stats.
d. I’ll start by saying I think both paths are pretty similar, but I guess I will say that Baltimore had a slightly easier path. The only reason I say that is because San Francisco had to go through Los Angeles, who finished 3rd in the league this season, right behind them. I think the paths overall are extremely similar and that won’t dictate much in the series outcome.

Task 11 – 2 TPE

I chose Canada because that’s where I’m from, so it was just a simple decision to make. However that being said, I also know a few different people in the locker room from my previous player and I just enjoy the company. We have a few Habs fans in there and we like to discuss our favorite NHL team so I think that adds to the fun in meeting people and joining a channel with them. At the end of the day I am here to enjoy my time and being around people who are easy to speak to and I get along with is incredibly important. Of course, Canada usually has success in the IIHF and I like to be a part of that, so it helps.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

SMJHL HO Off-season Pass

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: YZjkK9Q.png]

J GM CW Pass

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

Trivia word: Gritty

Code:
11. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!
Independent Russia isn't my original IIHF country. My OG team was the USA. I ended up switching for a few reasons. I didn't think I'd end up getting play time on Team USA, which was a big factor in switching my team. The main reason I switched teams to Independent Russia however, was because I took up the role of Fed Head after the last one stepped down. If I had the chance to get guaranteed play time on Team USA, I'd still switch to Independent Russia because I love my job. It's great to meet new players and I love talking in our locker room. Hopefully, I can bring us a medal this season!

Code:
10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! What are your expectations for your player? What teams are you watching out for this time around? Did last season's results surprise you and how much you expect them to change this time?
I think this year is the year that Independent Russia gets a medal under my lead. I've made some good additions that fill in our weaknesses (Including finally having a full 12 forwards), and I think we really have a chance this year. We have a lot of young players stepping up and filling the shoes of long inactive vets, the locker room is more alive than when I started and we have some depth players growing and progressing a lot. Overall for the entire tournament, I think Troy McClure will lead Czechia to a gold medal. He's a great GM and I think he's done a ton of work to improve the team. Taking home silver I have team Canada. They're always a strong team, but I think they'll fall short of gold this year and lose in the finals. The bronze medal will hopefully go to Independent Russia, although even just making the playoffs this year will be a huge success.

TOTAL TPE: 8

[Image: Mendhall.png] [Image: i0ZCRTJ.png]

Россия wants you! Ask for a Transfer! Join Independent Russia Today!

Malamutes syndicate Independent Russia   Malamutes syndicate Independent Russia

*Thank you Nokazoa and Squid for the sigs!

1: Bacon

[Image: 8FZ99SX.jpeg]

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

truth

+3TPE (hopefully)

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
c. Willow Söderberg-Snooks has 7 goals, 18 points, 18 takeaways and no giveaways, is that enough to make them best defenceman in finals? Who would you pick instead?
d. Which of the teams had easier path to finals?
e. Which one would win a fight, a lion or an eagle? How would it go?

c. Soderberg Snooks entered the finals as the best defensive player for either squad, and the decision was clear. On their own team, the San Francisco Pride, WSS played as the first pair RD and lead all defensemen in ice time at 22:29 in the playoffs while leading in scoring. On the Platoon, the closest competition would be Philip Fry, who leads their entire team in ice time and in the end finished the playoffs with nearly 4x the blocks that WSS had at 86 but produced fewer takeaways. Overall, between the two it comes down to which type of defender you need, with WSS providing more offense and stick-based defense and Fry a more physical prototypical stay at home d-man. In todays fast paced game, I give Soderberg Snooks the Edge and that played out in delivering the ship to SFP. - 141 Words, +1 TPE

d. If you look at the strength of the competition in the playoffs, the teams SFP faced enroute to the finals accumulated more regular season points than those faced by BAP, at 228-216 total. However, BAP had to play more total games in the opening rounds, 18-16. Throughout the regular season, SFP was able to sleepwalk into the playoffs by facing a division with three minnows, with the other teams in their division scoring only 223 points all season in the standings, versus the 286 racked up by the other teams in Baltimore’s division. All these numbers are beefed up for SFP by including fellow powerhouse LAP with 102 pts, who the Pride needed the full 7 games to vanquish. Overall, I think their paths were similar, but I give SFP the edge in the ‘easier path’ debate due to playing fewer games and using very little energy over the full course of the season. - 154 words, +1 TPE

e. This is a tricky question but I’m going to have to go with the eagle. Assuming a fight on open terrain, you might be tempted into picking a lion, if you googled the same things I did and found out that they can survive up to two weeks without food, versus only 1 week in the tank for an eagle. Additionally, a lion can move faster while hunting, than an eagle can fly at steady altitude. However, I don’t think a lion can maintain both their speed and their food-free endurance, whereas birds of prey can soar above expending very little energy by riding the thermals and winds. So, I think the Eagle just rope-a-dopes until the lion falls or loses interest. Of course, this could all change based on the geography, weather, amount of prey for both animals available in the combat arena, etc. for instance if you were to tell me this was a cage match, id probably go lion – but without that caveat its eagle for me. - 170 words, +1 TPE

+3 TPE
Code:
5. Written, 3 TPE, Haven't I seen this already (150 words min.)
SHL has a playoffs setup that has teams in the same division playing each other for the first two rounds.With only 5 teams in each division it often means that same teams play versus each other season after season. This can lead to good rivalries but also get pretty repetitive. Do you think this is a good structure or would you like to see it changed? Why? You can but don't have to ignore limits of FHM.

The SHL currently seeds the playoffs by division, much in the same way the NHL does but without the wildcard slot. While this does indeed lead to some stale matchups – teams playing repeat series from prior years against foes we saw them battle throughout the course of the regular season – it also creates rivalries when some of the same teams are dominating divisions every year. For this year’s finalists, BAP played the same two teams they faced in the first two round of S75, in these first two rounds, while SFP dispatched LAP in round two, the team that bounced them from round one the season before. Personally, I think its good for rivalries. Where it falls apart, is overall playoff seeding or lack of re-seeding after round one. the BAP-PHI and SFP-LAP matchups in the second round of the playoffs this season were the top two teams in each conference. While you must beat the best to be the best and in theory these matchups could have occurred anyway, it should be happening in the conference finals. Instead, our fans got to see Hamilton, who had a 68-point regular season, trounced in five games as BAP cruised to the finals. We see a lot of ebbs and flows and dynasties in the SHL, and I think if it were possible to better reward teams for good regular seasons by ignoring divisions each round and re-seeding that would be the best course. The rivalries will continue to exist regardless. -249 words

+3 TPE

TOTAL = 9/8 POSSIBLE TPE

\

not eligible but writing here to remove task list

[Image: pnI7R5r.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2024, 10:11 AM by Bfine. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Sota

10. Looking at the IIHF this season, I’m actually expecting a big surprise run from an unexpected team: Ireland. That’s right, the luck of the Irish is back on the menu. I’m aware they won a gold medal fairly recently, but they still are not considered one of the powerhouses of the IIHF world, but they have a roster ready to win this season. They may not finish first in the round robin, but I think Ireland is who wins gold this season. As for other strong teams, I expect all 3 Nordic teams to make the playoffs as per usual, and I also think Switzerland has a strong showing. I also think it’s finally time for the USA to have a good showing. They have consistently been one of the more disappointing IIHF teams relative to how strong their roster is, and I think this is the season they finally break through and make some noise. And of course Canada can never be discounted.

13. San Francisco has won the Challenge Cup for the first time ever, and it’s because Caleb cooked like he always does. San Francisco also made a ton of big moves, trading for Badwolf, Ramen, and Blix, and I think that took them over the top. In terms of Baltimore, I think they had a strong roster as well, and if they were to make any change I think it would be playing Devoir over Kavanagh. Both goalies are good, but maybe starting Devoir in Game 5 could have swung the momentum. My favorite part of the series was the Pride winning the cup, after so long and so much hard work by everyone.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!