Create Account

S76 Championship Week Due: Thursday, May 23th @ 11:59 PM PST
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 05:23 PM by Ferda.)

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.
ferd

Quote:5. Written, 3 TPE, Haven't I seen this already (150 words min.)
SHL has a playoffs setup that has teams in the same division playing each other for the first two rounds.With only 5 teams in each division it often means that same teams play versus each other season after season. This can lead to good rivalries but also get pretty repetitive. Do you think this is a good structure or would you like to see it changed? Why? You can but don't have to ignore limits of FHM.
The SHL's playoff structure, where teams within the same division face off in the first two rounds, has its pros and cons. On one hand, it fosters intense rivalries and familiarity between teams, creating compelling storylines and heightened competition. Fans often enjoy the drama and emotional investment that comes with seeing their team repeatedly clash with a familiar foe. This setup can also ensure that the best teams within a division advance, maintaining a high level of competition in later playoff rounds. However, the downside is the potential for repetitiveness. Seeing the same matchups season after season can lead to predictability, which might reduce overall excitement and viewer interest. Variety in playoff opponents can bring fresh challenges and unpredictable outcomes, which many fans find appealing. Additionally, always facing divisional opponents early in the playoffs might prevent some of the league's best teams from meeting until later rounds, potentially skewing the perceived balance of competition. A possible improvement could be a hybrid model that maintains some level of divisional play but introduces cross-divisional matchups earlier in the playoffs. This approach could preserve rivalries while also adding more variety and excitement. Considering the limitations of the FHM simulation, any structural change would need to be carefully balanced to maintain realism and fairness within the game.

Quote:6. Written, 3 TPE, Next season will be ours (150 words min.)
With only one champion in the SHL and the SMJHL per season, that means the other 34 teams came up just a bit short (or a lot short). Team owners know that fans can get frustrated by shortcomings, so they're always trying to keep optimism high in the fan base. Give an excerpt from an ousted team's owner's press conference at the end of the season focusing on the team's bright future or however they can keep fans' optimism high.
Thank you all for being here today. I know this season didn't end the way we hoped, but I want to take a moment to focus on the incredible progress we've made and the bright future ahead for the Atlanta Inferno. First and foremost, I want to express my deepest gratitude to our fans. Your unwavering support and passion have been our driving force all season long. While this playoff exit is tough, it's important to remember how far we've come. Our young core has shown remarkable growth, and we've seen standout performances from players like [key player names], who have proven they can compete at the highest level. Looking ahead, we have a lot to be excited about. Our management team has been working tirelessly to build a roster that's not just competitive but capable of achieving greatness. We've got a strong draft class coming in, and we're exploring strategic moves in the offseason to strengthen our lineup. Our goal remains unwavering: to bring the championship to Atlanta. Additionally, our coaching staff has done an exceptional job developing our talent, and I have full confidence that with another year of experience under their belts, our players will come back stronger, faster, and more determined than ever. We are committed to making smart, strategic decisions that will set us up for long-term success. This season was a stepping stone, and with the continued support of our incredible fans, I believe the best is yet to come for the Atlanta Inferno. Thank you, and let's look forward to a bright future together

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

1. Verification Word: vagabond [up to +3]

10. I’m hopeful that the Swedish will take #1 personally, both in Pool A and for the tournament. I would also anticipate Finland to be a relatively close second, followed potentially by France or maybe Japan, but generally 1-4 and 5-7 feel reasonably well defined in Pool A. On the other hand, the only “likely” result from Pool B would be Canada and the US taking the top two spots. I know there are a few people putting Germany, Ireland, or Norway somewhere in the top two from time to time but they have a pretty significant TPE differential to make up for, or so I’d think.

I would expect the USA and Canada to make a pretty strong push to be opposite Sweden (or possibly Finland) in the finals, with an outside chance of an all-Scandinavia matchup. In terms of individual accolades, your guess is as good as mine. Although the top two scorers in fantasy each season feel pretty predictable in the SHL, that’s not nearly the case in IIHF, probably because there’s such a significant swing in management season-to-season with the IIHF. [184, +3]

11. I chose my IIHF country based on my last player and my intended country of origin when I wrote it. Swedish is actually my 3rd-most-practiced language in DuoLingo (after Spanish and French); I first started just to have one language significantly different than the aforementioned romance languages and just decided to stick with it because, why not? It’s also currently not possible to do ASL DuoLingo as far as I can tell (plus it’d be kind of odd to put on a phone app). I also didn’t want to necessarily hop on the most common countries (USA, Canada, etc) while still having a decent size community around the team, but it’s taken off more than I had anticipated. [118, +2]

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: salami

Code:
7. Graphic, 3 TPE, I have a plan
So either you won the cup or at least dream of doing so. And when you win you get to take cup with you and show it around. Create an image showing your player and most exotic place they would/will take the cup to.

[Image: zm27RaY.png]

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Round 76
Create a graphic that shows a lion and an eagle fighting.

[Image: vDFGNP2.png]

[Image: dinonuggets2.gif]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]
Credit to Amidships & sulovilen

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below.
Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Halkoholic

Code:
10. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! What are your expectations for your player?
What teams are you watching out for this time around? Did last season's results surprise you and how much you expect them to change this time?

I will actually participate in both the IIHF and WJC this season so it's very special for me. Very glad to have made the Swedish IIHF team, while we are having a lot of newcomers this season I think we still have a good shot at if not the gold, at least a medal. I am not sure what to expect from my player, IIHF uncap makes me not have any baseline to go from. I really hope that I can keep up a positive +/- and more TA than GA. I am not sure about which teams to watch out for as I haven't been following the IIHF that close yet but I expect that the regular large nations will be an issue as always. As for WJC, I made the team on ICE but I don't really care since I am not playing for my federation, Sweden. I hope for a gold as it would be cool to have that trophy and I expect my player to be real solid defensively but I cannot be bothered to engage much more.

[181 words]

Code:
11. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason?
I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!

Well, the choice of Sweden can be described in three parts. Firstly, I am Swedish, that simply makes the choice a no-brainer. But also I wanted to make my player a defensive giant and as such I based him of two real Swedish players and chose the birthplace based on them. Of course the merged fantasy player I made had to be Swedish as well! Finally, my previous player was Swedish as well and after having experienced what the Swedish team is like and hanging out with the users there, it is now one of my favorite places on this site and I would not trade it for anything.

[109 words]

[Image: Halkohol_SHL.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 05:48 PM by LampLighter.)

1. Zero +3 TPE

4. I think that there is a President's trophy curse going on. Being a part of the New England Wolfpack, the year that we won the presidents trophy and then to go into the playoffs and not come out as champions is a very depressing situation. You play so well during the regular season and your team comes out as number one to not finish as number one and win the cup in the end is tough. That being said, no team has won the Presidents trophy and won the cup in the same season, so I would have to say that that has a big impact on the teams performance in the playoffs. Whether it is physical or mental it definitely has something to do with it. I would say that San Francisco was better coming into the series with a second seed, and to not have to suffer the curse of finishing first during the regular season and not winning the cup. +3 TPE

13 . The San Francisco Pride won this season's cup. The reason San Francisco won was because they were coming in with a very strong team leading the way with the leading goal scorer, the top 2 players in points during the regular season and the number one defenseman in points and assists during the regular season. These three players alone helped San Francisco on their cup run. As far as goalies go, San Francisco came in with the leading goalie in wins, who had four more wins than the second best goalie in the league. Putting that all together it was hard to see San Francisco not coming out as the winners. +2 TPE

PBE affiliate: 
https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...t&p=723461

[Image: IMG_2927.jpg?width=1195&height=672]

Trivia: chat (+3)

2. A. Hargreeves is the obvious choice here as he was the leagues leading scorer, him and Scholz are a scary duo to have. Even if they haven’t relied on their scoring to win games during the post season, the defense has to focus on them so it gives room for depth players to score. Maybe with the threat of more depth scoring the defense lets off them a little and they have room to really lock in and score a bunch (+1)

B. I do not think anyone ever has the upper hand on Justin Time. He is an absolute stud between the posts. He may not have better numbers but he has that experience and the pure skill to pull some saves that no one has any business stopping. Plus i’ve heard that Ramen has some magic or something that he can cast which will make Justin Time a complete brick wall so if those rumors are true there’s no one who can stop Time (+1)

F. I think the Pride are going to win. They have the best forwards and the best goalie. Obviously the Platoon are not far behind in any metric, but sometimes the better team is just the better team and it’s that simple. Justin Time is the main factor just because he is so good in between the pipes, and even if he has a bad game he has Hargreeves and Scholz who can drop multiple points a night. It will be a hard battle but I have the Pride coming out on top (+1)

11. I chose Latvia with my first player because I knew that Latvia needed players. We were lacking so much that I played in the IIHF every season including my rookie season. Now that Latvia has more players it was the choice to stick with the people I spent 10 seasons with already. I want to try and win a gold with Latvia, and I will probably keep recreating as a Latvian until we do it. Who knows, maybe even after I’ll be so invested in Latvia that I’ll always recreate as a Latvian. I have no real connection at all with the country but on the SHL forums, they are my countrymen now. (+2)

[Image: Rn4Vt1E.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2024, 12:38 AM by the5urreal. Edited 1 time in total.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

moist
+3 TPE

Code:
13. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Looks like [TEAM] won Season 76! Who won and why? What could the other team have done differently to change the result? What was your favorite part of the series?

It was the Challenge Cup Finals matchup that everyone had hoped for and one in which there was no surprise. It’s been a while since either the San Francisco Pride or Baltimore Platoon have been in the finals but one of them would get a taste of glory. Despite the Platoon having won the President’s Trophy as the best team in the regular season, I think it was pretty clear that the San Francisco Pride were the better team. There was only a three point difference between the two, but the Pride were playing in the much stronger Western Conference. In the East, the Platoon had to contend with only one other team with a Point % higher than .600 while the Pride had to deal with the 102 point defending Challenge Cup champion Los Angeles Panthers and two other teams with a .600+ Point %. In the end, The Pride had no problem dispatching the Platoon four games to one in route to their second Challenge Cup title.
[167 words]
+2 TPE

Code:
15. Graphic, 3 TPE - The Procrastinator Special!
Congratulations, graphics-master procrastinator! Much like the written-word-loving procrastinator, you too have a special task! Create a post-series splash screen detailing the outcome of the series, or highlighting the player that you think should be playoff MVP. Include at least 3 stats!

[Image: PGidPtb.png]
+3 TPE

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[Image: KOKeZZJ.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 08:21 PM by Hungy Fella. Edited 2 times in total.)

1. Trivia Verification: Tacos
+3 TPE

2a. Although neither team has had one player carry their team in the playoffs I think that M'Baku Olubori of the Baltimore Platoon will help carry the Platoon in the playoffs. He had 109 points throughout all the games in the regular season and has scored big goals in big games. I expect to see it in the playoffs also.
+1 TPE

2e. I think that an eagle would win in a fight against a lion and not only because I am biased as a member of the Baltimore Platoon. An eagle would be able to fly through the air and quickly attack the lion with its sharp talons it would also be able to fly away if it got into trouble.
+1 TPE

13. The San Francisco Pride beat the Baltimore Platoon in five games in the finals of the SHL Playoffs. The championship finished off a great season for the Pride after finishing the regular season with a final record of 50 wins 12 losses and 4 overtime losses. The Platoon finished the regular season in first place with 52 wins 11 losses and 3 overtime losses, winning the regular season and losing in the finals marks their best season in recent history for the Platoon. They will return next season with a very similar team so we can expect to  see another playoff run for the Platoon, hopefully they can win the championship next season.
+2 TPE

Code:
CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

eab

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!

1. Cristiano

A/ 
If i had to choose a player from either of the finalists it would be M'Baku Olubori for me. While Viktor Hargreeves is also a really good shoutout, for me M'Baku was slightly more important to Baltimore than how important Viktor was for San Francisco. After all it feels like Viktor's teammates managed to help him a little bit more than how much M'Baku's teammates helped him. Which of course does not mean that M'Baku's teammates are bad, far from that. But yes, to me M'Baku Olubori was the player that could lead their team to a cup if it was up to only one player.
(106 words)

E/ 
It might seem like an easy choice at first glance but both the lion and the eagle has their own strenths and weaknesses so it really depends on two things. If the eagle can get a few flyby while landing hits on the lion than it can win however if the lion can catch the eagle then it's the lion who will win. Personally I think the eagle just about edges the lion out in this one.
(77 words)

5. While it is certainly true that facing the same teams season after season could get repetative real quick, It's not quite the case here. After all there are quite a few rivalries that can be developped from the very fact that teams face each other quite often. After all what better motivation does one need than to finally overcome that one team that have been stopping them for a couple of seasons now? That one team that they didn't seem to crack for oh so long now finally falls in front of them. There is not many better feelings one can experience than that when it comes to the journey to reaching the finals. And on top of that, the bitter feeling of losing to your rival can very much motivate the losing side to work harder for when they meet next time. So if i had the opportunity to make a decision over keeping this system or switching to a new one, i would certainly keep the current system. Besides don't change something that's not broken.
(177 words)

" Maybe someones er... they don't like me but... because i'm too good, i don't know why. "

[Image: Ant7F8q.png]

PBE PT +3 TPE

Trivia Verification Word: Wooper

Task 13:

We saw the San Francisco Pride won against the regular season champs in the Baltimore Platoon. Well lets look at what went wrong for the Platoon. The Pride took a 3-1 lead in the series shutting down the Platoon making it near impossible for a comeback. The Platoon just really needed to establish themselves. In the three of their four losses, the Platoon were either leading or tied going into the third quarter which was a good place to be. The Platoon had failed to convert these into wins though as they only managed to put up 2 goals in the third period allowing the Pride to run away with everyone one of those games. (115 Words)

[Image: IsJIh5s.png?format=webp&width=872&height=1066]

Code:

verification: hereiam

Code:
7. Graphic, 3 TPE, I have a plan
So either you won the cup or at least dream of doing so. And when you win you get to take cup with you and show it around. Create an image showing your player and most exotic place they would/will take the cup to.

[Image: fyCubo7.png]

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Round 76
Create a graphic that shows a lion and an eagle fighting.

[Image: r9T7NSo.png]

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

Code:

verification word: sky

Code:
11. Written, 2 TPE, Home Country (100 words min.)
Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!

So Celeste's hometown of Lewiston, Maine is a place that I have personally spent a lot of time in my life, as it's my mom's hometown and I have a lot of family still living there. To me, it felt like a pretty natural pick- it's not My home, but it's just about as close as I can get. And so then naturally, Celly's locked into USA fed because of the other background that I built out around them as a result of picking that particular location for their hometown. It's nice to be able to write about places and experiences that are familiar to me, because it's a lot more useful for the narrative surrounding my player. [118 words]

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE - But I thought the season was already over (150 words min.)
Challenge Cup Finals might be over and season switch done on portal but there is still sims going on SMJHL. Write a preview (or if you are really late, a review) about this seasons Four Star Cup Finals.

Quebec City finally summits the mountain! After two seasons of futility despite an astounding core, they've finally managed to pull off The Big Win right before they lose their most iconic draft class to aging out of juniors and into the SHL. And they did it in style, too- a hat trick to seal the deal from their former Rookie of the Year winner! A stone cold playoffs run from their consistently incredible goaltender (who, let us still note, is not aging out, so Quebec City gets to continue to be backstopped by an absolute Monster in the net, an unbreakable wall with balls of steel). This is surely a season that will go down in history for fans of this team, and it wouldn't be hard to see a world in which the team chooses to further honor some of the players from these last few seasons. Leo Roze, Froya Solberg, and Celeste Desjardins all came out of the season with new franchise records, after alll! [167 words]

[8 tpe total]

[Image: Fm35hEW.png]

Why did you choose your IIHF country? Is it where you’re actually from? Is it where your friends play? Was it for a specific role play reason? I want to know how you decided where your player comes from!

This one is pretty easy, I live in the US.  I've thought about creating a player from another country, but never really have done it yet.  This time around with Thomas Hudson being the son of my former player, Eric Hudson, it just made sense for him to be in the US as well.  Part of the background story and lore is that he was born in Dallas Texas while the elder Hudson was playing for the Texas Renegades. I understand that the US and Canada have likely the biggest player pools and so it may take a while before I crack the roster but that's OK. (107 words, 2 TPE)

With only one champion in the SHL and the SMJHL per season, that means the other 34 teams came up just a bit short (or a lot short). Team owners know that fans can get frustrated by shortcomings, so they're always trying to keep optimism high in the fan base. Give an excerpt from an ousted team's owner's press conference at the end of the season focusing on the team's bright future or however they can keep fans' optimism high.

"... First off, congratulations to the Newfoundland Berserkers.  Closely fought series and we gave it all we had.  I know this is a disappointment, but the future is still bright here in Great Falls. We still have a very strong core of players we've acquired in the last two drafts, including the goalie tandem of Lee Harrison and Elvar.  Our senior players, such as Bardizz, WonderBread, Victor and Niclas are ready to lead this team into the future.  For a team that missed the playoffs last season, while it stings to get knocked out, two hard fought series in this seasons playoffs is something to build upon for sure.  Winning our first round match up and then having a close, even fight with Newfoundland is encouraging for the future.  While we will miss the players who are getting called up to the SHL, we wish them the best at the next level and feel like we are still built for the future here in Great Falls..." (165 words, 3 TPE)

14. Written, 3 TPE - But I thought the season was already over (150 words min.)

Challenge Cup Finals might be over and season switch done on portal but there is still sims going on SMJHL. Write a preview (or if you are really late, a review) about this seasons Four Star Cup Finals.

Well, the buzzsaw that is the Quebec City Citadelles has done it again. Leading the league with 100 points (2nd place Newfoundland with 90), but this time they actually cleared the mountain and won it all.  Last season they lead the league with a ridiculous 105 points, but fell in the Conference Finals to Colorado, who went on to win it all.  This season the Citadelles left no room for doubt with an impressive 4-0 sweep of Kelwona in the first round, another 4-0 sweep of Vancouver in the second round, a 4-1 "gentleman's" sweep of Newfoundland in the Conference finals and then another 4-1 series win over the Maine Timber to take it all.  There was no stopping the Citadelles this season.  Led by super star sisters the Solbergs and brick wall goalie Song Ju-Gong, the Quebec City Citadelles hoisted the trophy and will be celebrating all off season. (150 words, 3 TPE, 8 total).

[Image: hudson.png]