Create Account

S77 PT #3: Humppaa Suomesta Due: Sunday, June 30th @ 11:59 PM PST

Option 2

Luca Pane is from Italy. His days consisted of making pizza in his family's restaurant and playing hockey at an sports academy that mainly focused on 'calcio', but had hockey available too. When I came across the pond to North America, I was shocked how different the culture was. Not only how different, but how big the country is with varying climates and cultures in each state. I was lucky enough to get to experience the United States and Canada during my junior seasons. Canada was completely different from America but felt similar. It was when I was drafted by Minnesota that I found myself picking up different sayings and phrases from all the team mates I had from everywhere. In Italy, it was common to run into tourists who spoke English, but you never really got to know their mannerisms. Now that I know some, I cannot help but use them all the time. My favorite saying is, "Not my farm, not my pig." Picked that up while in St Louis.

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Specters Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26  |  RIP TDZ

Prompt one

Historically, there's one scientifically proven strategy to getting any player of your choosing to fight you on the ice. It's not even that hard, or complicated. Literally anyone can do it, and it takes zero effort, skill, language or other complicated things that one would not have invested any TPE in. Seriously, this is so easy, I don't know why people are not using it more. You don't even have to start the fight, doing this will immediately make the player (or players, if you're really lucky!) on the opposing team closest to you drop the gloves and take that instigator penalty. If you do it really well, they may even take an additional aggressor penalty! Although that might require you to somewhat keep it easy in the first few seconds of the fight, before you really take the beating to them.

The secret to this success? Run their goalie.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Ju-gong has had a wild, if not difficult time adjusting from Korean life to living in Quebec. Normally when you move you need to learn a new language, but in this case he practically needed to learn two between French and English. Not only was the weather a huge change of pace, but the food was also a huge challenge at first. With all of this already in place, the reality of having so many foreign teammates as well just added layers to things. They all for the most part did have two things in common though, a love for hockey, and that everyone was trying to adapt to life in Quebec. In terms of taking in new hobbies from teammates, the biggest thing Ju-gong picked up was an enjoyment for Italian food from Bellona during his time with QCC. While there were large contingents of Norwegian and Latvian groups among the team, none of them really gave any major cultural insights, if anything, most teammates were interested in learning about things in Korea.

Written Option 2

Langston Hardison-Laurent was born in Florida, but plays for the Swiss Federation on account of having a Swiss mother. Still, he was not able to experience a lot of the culture and customs of Switzerland until he started playing for Winnipeg. Fellow Swiss teammates in Winnipeg include Marcel Beck and formerly Spack Jarrow (and newly NoNo Jo). They have introduced Langston to the fine art of Apres culture and fondue which is a dangerous combination. However, it obviously is not just Switzerland in Winnipeg as key players from Canada, Sweden, Finland, and Latvia as well as other countries make up the locker room. The Canadians in players like Ben Jammin have taught Laurent about the importance of poutine in the diet, while the Swedes have fed Laurent several delicious pastries while the Finns have brought up Pannukakku. There might have been some hockey tips sprinkled in there but this was mostly about the food for Langston.

[Image: F84OPdM.jpeg]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig

Prompt 1
This sounds like a welcoming challenge to me. As a matter of fact I’d welcome such a player to try and test me. First things first we can go after the legs a bit. Give em a slash even if it means drawing the penalty. The highlanders penalty kill is good enough to justify pissing this guy off. No English? No problem. Depends if they speak French or not as Peyton is bilingual in both. I think eventually the solution will be just to take one for the team and drop the gloves. It’s not a very pretty solution but it’s gonna get the job done. It’ll be a mirror match almost as Peyton is pretty much the player described in this point task itself. Who would win? Probably neither player as it’ll be like an immovable object and an unstoppable force. It’ll be hard for the refs to stop this fight as I can’t imagine anyone will wanna get between this.

[Image: gageshl.gif]

Option 2

Shaggy was born in Canada, but grew up in Finland and then moved back to Canada as a teenager, so he knew enough about both countries and never experienced a real culture shock when joining the league. Perhaps a small one, when he lived in Newfoundland, but he has always been around many different people and enjoys being surrounded by different cultures. Luckily on Winnipeg, the majority of players are from various European countries and the native North Americans are in the minority, so it was very easy to adapt to the different cultures. Most people who grew up in Europe have smaller cultural differences between each other compared to North Americans. Their culture is extremely different, but Shaggy likes learning new things and he picks up something new almost every day, mostly some weird snacks. At the same time, he likes it when people want to learn things about his culture or try out some Finnish food they have never heard of or usually can't even pronounce.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Written option 2: with the amount of diversity on each team, my player has come to love and admire tons of cultures. He takes the time to talk to his diverse team and learn more about different foods, religions, clothing, languages, etc. he’s taken part in some of his teammates go to activities from their countries and has enjoyed every moment of it. He’s also picked up some very interesting hobbies as well and has come to teach some of his other friends and family about them which has helped bring them closer than ever. He loves the topic of sports the most, learning new sports or learning how a different culture plays a specific sport to make it their own. He may even get to thinking about switching which sport he plays and may take up another one that he’s learned about.( only jokes, only jokes) all in all, he enjoys learning about his teammates and bringing the team closer together.

161 words

[Image: 6bk5sdD.png]
                                    Sig by LazyEye

ptpass

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

[Image: SHJYkJ1.png]

[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]
[Image: p82ugau.png]

It seems like the author of this prompt, prompt two, wishes more people would like the world's friendliest people; the Finns. My player loves meeting new people and especially those from other parts of the world and learning all about their culture. I know in the real NHL, Dougie Hamilton gets a lot of shit for liking to go to museums and cultural stuff in his downtime. I guess you could say my player is like that. When they travel abroad, they hit up the museums and the historical sites rather than the bar or houses of ill repute. He loves 'going native', just like I do in my real life in trying the native food, going to the non touristy bars and trying the food. It's the best way to get to know your friends and teammates from these areas in my opinion. If you've got a Swedish or Finnish teammate and you can take them to a good sauna or get them some of their favorite food at a local place in the states, that's true bonding.

Option 1

I think the best way to instigate a fight without actually instigating would be something that works just as well for animals as it does humans. Stare your opponent directly in their eyes and never waver. This is as close as it gets to a universal signal for a fight. If it works for tigers and gorillas, surely it'll work on hockey players too. There are many different strategies in terms of what faces you could make while holding the eye contact. You could go with the classic menacing glare to more obviously get your message across, or you could do a Brandon Tanev type of look where you act like the player you're staring at is a ghost or something. You could stick your tongue out like a little kid to offend their sense of professionalism, or squint your eyes slightly to make it seem like you're really suspicious of them. The possibilities are endless and no matter what you decide, direct and prolonged eye contact with an opponent will surely get them to fight you eventually.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

Written Option 2:

Having been trained in an intelligence agency and having been state property since his creation/birth, Petr has been subject to foreign culture and languages for his entire existence. This has enabled him the ability to adapt as necessary as a social chameleon. Petr may be an ultra-nationalist proud Czech, but as an intelligence asset he is well aware that subtlety is a boon and even required at times. Having no accent, a fluent understanding of English, and of broad North American culture trends (as well as certain regional culture artifacts), Petr is just another, somewhat tall and very ripped, face in the crowd. Just don't talk down on Czechia, or speak highly of certain nations such as Japan or Switzerland. These sensitive spots are Petr's weak spot and the easiest to use to have him break his cover, due to caring about his nation in the IIHF above all else.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

PT pass

[Image: fFccrkD.png]

Written Option 1

I am answering this in a non-canon fashion for the sake of the TPE as I actually have a really good answer for this one courtesy of a story about a man by the name of Shannon Sharpe. See he was a Hall of Fame tight end for the Denver Broncos, and back in 1998 he played a critical role in a win not with his talents as a tight end but with his talent for running his mouth. It was second and twenty-five on Denver's twenty-five they just needed to hold onto the ball to really hammer in a win, but Shannon Sharpe had other ideas. Quarterback Bobby Brister got sacked, but an unnecessary roughness call on Derrick Thomas put them on the Denver thirty-four with a fresh set of downs. This would repeat a few plays later where after a Derek Loville run Derrick Thomas committed a facemask penalty for fifteen yards. Just two plays later after another Derek Loville run Derrick Thomas committed another facemask penalty to put the ball just two yards shy of a touchdown that the Broncos would get on the next play. That is three penalties in under five minutes and so you might rightly ask what caused it? Sharpe's mouth is the answer and the urban legend surrounding it is that Sharpe made use of the fact that he knew Derrick Thomas to his advantage. Because according to legend he also knew Derrick Thomas' girlfriend of the time, and more importantly for this story her phone number. So the rumor is that between plays he was reciting her number one digit at a time to antagonize Thomas and if true then it worked wonders at getting under his skin.

Would that work as well today in this age of who actually calls people? I do not know to be entirely honest, but if I am going to gamble on a universal language way to get under their skin this is the gamble that I am going to take as I will put my faith in Shannon Sharpe's Hall of Fame talents. That said I do think expanding it outside of significant other could work in case an opponent does not have one as perhaps you recite a phone number of one of their family members that could cause similar offense. Thinking about it beyond that though the other options you could go with after a similar amount of research is a date that would negatively impact them by making them remember something demoralizing. Ideally they have like a really embarrassing YouTube video that you can call back to mind to make them think about that time they skated into a toilet while singing.

Code:
Word Count: 451

PBE PT - Bayley

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3