Create Account

S77 DFA Bounty #4 - The Alternative Timeline GRADED
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2024, 02:17 PM by JamesT. Edited 1 time in total.)

The offseason is closing in on us, and we are almost at the SMJHL Draft.

Before the real busy season starts, and you're going to be answering scouting messages from every team, it is time to sit back and relax a little. Dreaming about how your life would've looked without hockey.

Written Option: What would your player be doing now, if he or she hadn't pursued a career in hockey? (250 words min.)

Graphic Option: Show us a picture of your player, doing what they'd do if they weren't a hockey player.

Reward: $500,000, for doing one of the options.

Only current SMJHL Draftable Free Agents (S78 SMJHL Draftees, SHL class of S79) are eligible for this bounty.

Deadline: Sunday, July 28th at 11:59 PM PST.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

My player would be pursuing a career in meteorology if he wasn’t pursuing a career in hockey. He has been inspired by the weather ever since he was a young kid in Latvia and saw the snow pour down every year. He loved seeing how it fell and became this magical feeling as it went from the cloud to the ground. He would be taking a tour of every major meteorological center so NOAA, NHC, and every prediction center out there. Hughes Incorporated is an analytical guy and he feels meteorology is the best place to showcase his skills (plus he can pretend to be Mike Trout in the offseason which is never a bad thing) If not meteorology, he would be a sports analyst. He feels he has the chops to make it in that field with a great sense of humor, a great analytical sense of the game, and an ability to work well with his fellow hosts. Him having played the game before gives him a leg up for it gives him the innate ability to understand what’s going on on the ice and he knows the strategies involves inside and out, thus helping his ability to analyze the action on the ice better than most people would be able to. Finally, he would consider being a stock market trader for he finds the hustle and bustle of Wall Street quite intriguing, him being quite the energetic guy himself and being able to keep up with all the action he feels.

Mathias has a deep and involved backstory about wrestling polar bears in the cold north of Alert. He was taken there as a small child when he accidentally stowed away on a research ship, and once he got to the station, he hid every time they tried to make him leave. So, had he not been persuaded to come south by the promise of hockey, he would probably still be up there, rolling around with his bear friends and whiling away the days and days and days and nights and nights and nights. 

Had he found some other purpose, it might well have been in animal conservation - with the state of the north being what it is, he may well have come south looking to get some changes made, in the interest of maintaining a stable ecology for his giant murderous friends in white - though I imagine he’d have to make frequent trips back up North just so he wouldn’t overheat!

Ultimately though, I really don’t think he’d do much of anything besides hockey - maybe curling or Zamboni driving, something that lets him be cold 90% of his working life, before strolling back into his tiny one-room shack of a house, and cranking the AC to the moon. His rent is $1.2 million a year, and most of that is on utilities. The coaches fleeced him for every last dime he had, and a house with a temperature above 0C is just completely unacceptable, and that’s a hard thing to find in St. Louis.

Jauhnne Hawky would work in construction if he did not play hockey. Here is a theoretical picture of him on the job.
[Image: oLb6pjb.png]

In an alternate universe, Mumei is in the PBE.

[Image: Mumei-PBE.png]

[Image: euPeo5t.png]
[Image: 7361srC.png]

The bus groans as it rumbles into motion, sweeping around toward the highway onramp. Barcus Juneau gazes absently out the window, trying not to think about what lies at the far end of this trip. He knows he can handle the hockey. He's less sure about the draft circus that awaits him next week. As the miles wind
by, he thinks about what might have happened if his family's journey 16 years ago had taken a different road.

Settling in Toronto had laid the foundation for Jerome and Mia's son to discover hockey. But Barcus knows that if chance had tilted ever so slightly, he and his family would be living in Japan right now. Growing up in a small town in Tochigi, he probably wouldn't have even seen a rink, let alone made it his second home.

A life in sport might have been inevitable, but who can really tell what leads some youth to the cusp of becoming a professional athlete and others to a life where sport is nothing more than a healthy living choice? Would he have become a pro baseball player? A speedster on the base path and a reliable hitter in the box? Or maybe soccer: a wing-back sprinting down the line to cross to the open striker?

Barcus shakes his head. No, more likely working hot summers on the farm with his grandparents. Learning how to grow rice, potatoes, and most importantly, how to care for the row upon row of pear trees. Good, honest, hard work. Harder than hockey? Barcus doesn't know that yet. For him, the hard work just about to begin.

[Image: Uy7TeEn.jpeg]

Bright lights glare down with a nearly searing warmth, shining on Walbilly's silky fur. The flashing yellow beams would practically blind the little koala if he weren't wearing sunglasses. He could feel the makeup artist accentuating his lovely eyebrows while another finished the eyeliner of his co-star, or rather, fellow competitor. Sandy Glidehart, a flying squirrel. 
"Makeup, get out of there! On in 5, 4, 3, 2," barked the director. Walbiily and Sandy would talk about what they really thought of their fellow competitors on this reality TV show, Apex Predator. Animals with newly awakened consciousness from eating White Castle products would go onto this reality show to compete for a grand prize of 1 million dollars! 
"Ryan Smoothbottom, the rhinoceros? Talk about irony! I wish he told me he needed some lotion; I would let him borrow mine~"
"Tabitha Curlywhiskers, the house cat? Maybe someone should tell her that you only need to eat White Castle once to gain sentience. She goes every week. But. Who am I to judge?~"
"Oh, Herman Wiseman? That canine? No comments, but bless his heart~"
Without hockey to channel his energy and aggression, Walbilly would become a villain on reality TV, known for using his secret newfound intelligence to dupe his competitors and his cuddly looks to win the audience over while acting passive-aggressive. He was going to become well-known due to the sensation of a cognizant koala, especially one that ate meat almost exclusively. It all merely depended on what channel the TV he was always sitting in front of was on: trash TV or hockey.

if Roisin had not pursued a career in hockey, I can see her having done one of two different things with her life. The first option would have been for her to get her degree in aeronautical engineering at the Queen's University in Belfast, from which she would have sought employment with either Airbus or BAE. There she would have worked in either's continental offices on primarily military projects, likely the Tempest program or the Next Generation Fighter program (NGF).  Said work would have seen her traveling between company offices across the EU to work with her fellow team members for the better part of several years. After a time working for either BAE or Airbus, I could see her settling down in Germany and focusing on starting a family with one of her old friends from university. Had she not pursued her degree in aeronautical engineering, I can see Roisin having settled into a life as a teacher or hockey coach for her alma mater's team and leading them to victory in several seasons. Yet in spite of the happiness she would not doubt find in these roles, a part of her would nonetheless wonder if she had chosen the right path. Part of her yearned for glory on the ice and if she had pulled back from grasping it when she was but centimeters away from it. These thoughts would likely continue to haunt her and be a source of regret for her for years, if not decades to come.

[Image: sjqfd8w.png]
[Image: GOyuSj0.png]