Create Account

S78 SMJHL PT #0: New Places Due: Sunday, August 11th @ 11:59 PM PST

As the sun rose on the shores of Lake Superior, Hotdog Lunch was just driving into Ottawa for the first time in his professional career. The first time he had ever driven to any city, let alone in a old food truck packed to the brim with all of his life's belongings. Small trinkets from the Wisconsin state fair, old family photos, and enough hotdogs to feed the whole team for at least a week (still waiting on that rookie contract money). This was where Hotdog would face his first real test - parallel parking. Typically the only other time he would park have to park back home was when he need to drop off more ice from his families ice farm. This was a whole new beast, and not one that he was at all prepared for... No one ever expects a 19 point turn.

After finally getting into the spot, Hotdog did what he always did on a long road trip - He fired up the flatiron grill in the truck and started to get his lunch ready. After preparing a feast for the team, he slowly loaded all the hogs into a aluminum pan, covered the top with foil and started walking towards the door. There he would struggle in mortal combat against the door, not realizing that it was indeed not a push-to-open door like he had thought, but instead had a handle to open outward.

He slowly started to reach down to set the tray on the ground when he heard someone yell "Wait, I'll get that door for you."

Hotdog shot up and slowly realized he was at eye level with none other than his new GM Maurice O'Brady (@Frenchie ). A wave of sudden nervousness shot down Hotdogs spine as he thought to himself "I hope this gift is enough".

Maurice asks "What do ya got there kid?"

To which Lunch responds "A large pile of hotdogs, sir."

While slighting chuckling he asks "Can I see what you've made?"

Hotdog pulls back some of the foil so Maurice can see all the dogs in their glory. He looks up at Lunch with a slight grin and says "Welcome to the team, I think I know some people that would love these. Follow me"

Lunch follows his new GM into the locker room where he is met with all these new faces of all these great people. All of Hotdog's anxiety seemed to melt away as he went around the room introducing himself and learning a bit about each of them as well. He was finally in a place where he felt like home.

After some quick banter and a slight rest to get a bit adjusted to the room, Maurice makes his way back over to Hotdog and congratulates him one more time for being drafted to the team. Right as Maurice is about to walk out, he stops quick, looks at Lunch and says "Wait until you try the steamé in Montréal"

My new teammates were very welcoming when I walked into the locker room for the first time. I kind of wondered how they would react but they realized I wouldn’t be used to such a cold environment and so they offered me a coat of my choice and I was very relieved, as I was already getting kind of sick of the cold already. They offered me hot chocolate and I was very happy for I love hot chocolate. They organized a big buffet of food full of sweets, meats, and cheeses and I was ready to fill my stomach full of great food. They showed us around the clubhouse and told us where the important locations were, such as the practice rink, the weight room, and the strategy room where we went over the week’s strategies for the upcoming games. As I went back home, I left having a better understanding of how the minor league worked and I appreciated all the teammates had done to make me feel welcome.

pbe affiliate

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Now I am free <3

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

"I can't recall ever getting such a big cheer, or a warmer welcome than when I arrived in the Ottawa Highlanders locker room for the first time. First of all, everyone was clapping for me, which has absolutely never happened to me before, but it was like... genuine clapping. Not like when you start a new job, and the boss awkwardly introduces you, and everyone instinctively claps but they don't really want to. Anyway, I felt right at home immediately, and it's been a real pleasure getting to chat with the whole crew. Once the dust settled, and all of us new draftees had been introduced, the veterans threw a BBQ party outside, and we got to have some drinks and play some games. It feels like a great group to be working with, and the season really can't get here soon enough, but we don't have to be patient for that much longer now."

[Image: Z21MZ56.jpg]
Highlanders Highlanders

Aurora Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2024, 01:49 PM by Symmetrik.)

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: symmshl.gif]

Walking into the Anchorage Armada locker room for the first time was surreal. The moment I stepped in, the energy was electric. My new teammates greeted me with a mix of playful banter and genuine excitement, making me feel like I was already part of the family. The veterans were quick to introduce themselves, shaking hands and throwing out nicknames. It was clear they had done this before—they knew how to make a rookie feel welcome.

To my surprise, the team had organized a small welcome party for the new draftees. After practice, the coaches and older players gathered everyone around, and we were treated to a spread of food and drinks. They handed us jerseys with our names on them, officially marking our place on the team. A few of the guys even shared stories of their first days in the league, which had everyone laughing and eased any lingering nerves.

It wasn’t just about the formalities, though. The entire team made an effort to include us in everything, from locker room jokes to planning our first team outing. Hard work and camaraderie set the tone for what I know will be an incredible season.

[Image: blix900.gif]

[Image: QwTZD8C.png][Image: iemKOIk.png]

Chuck Lumbermouth walked into the locker room for the first time and was astonished by how big it was. Back in Minnesota he'd always played in smaller rinks with little locker rooms, so he experienced a bit of culture shock. He wasn't really sure why he'd need so much room to get ready, but he knew it wouldn't change what he was drafted to do; score goals. Chuck was the first one into the room that day, but he got to work getting dressed. After a while he realized no one had shown up except him and the other rookies. Once dressed and very confused they decided they'd head out onto the ice, maybe everyone else got dressed in a different room. When they got on the ice a conditioning coach showed up and told them to skate laps. On his second lap Chuck saw the vets walk by towards the locker room with a grin on their face. They'd given the rookies to wrong time so they'd have to get dressed and bust their ass for 30 minutes before the real practice. Chuck was pissed, but he wasn't going to show it. He put his head down and got to work, after all that's what he's here to do anyway.

[Image: LcUlIu4.jpeg]

Jett Labrynth and TheGreatOne showing the rookies around the Newfoundland LR.

[Image: iG4vpsb.jpeg]
Credit to @Symmetrik
[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: 6QlU4ci.png]

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: puddlesoduck2.gif]

Getting drafted in the 2nd round stings, don’t let anyone ever tell you differently.  To be so close to being “the first off someone's board” only to come up short is motivating.  Being a Detroit Lions fan I can’t help but understand how Amon Ra St. Brown feels now, might just have to make my own list to recite before every game. 

The day after the draft the team flew all of us rookies to Videotron center in Quebec City to meet the staff and get the lay of the land. 

Now I've heard stories of the notorious weather of eastern Canada so I was more than a little surprised to step off the plane and into 88° weather . . . (I may be in Canada now but you will never catch me using Celsius.)  

Getting a tour of the arena was great, but they definitely saved the best for last.  Walking down into the heart of the arena and into the locker room to see all of our jerseys and even a handful of our now teammates waiting to greet us was the greatest surprise of the day.  

Getting to know some of my new teammates ended up being even more helpful than I though when, after explaining I did have a place to stay . . . I did not have any furniture stuff.  So our little team meet and great quickly turned into a team trip to IKEA.   

With a not so small contingent of Scandinavians on the team we ALL learned the correct way to pronounce EVERYTHING in the store . . .   

We grabbed dinner, Swedish meatballs and lingonberry jam of course and then set upon the modern labyrinth of home goods. Got me a sweat deal on a SLATTUM (appropriately in bright blue knisa) and a pair of GULLABERG’s to go with it.  

An absolutely wonderful day all around! 

Special thanks to The Mountain Anatolyi Tarasov for carrying everyone's purchases with one hand! . . . made it a lot easier than finding a dolly.  

Citadelles

[Image: 5ODjzxe.png]
Citadelles

This is it, the moment I walk into the locker room, everyone will remember the impression I make on them the moment i take that first step through the door, No one will remember anything I say, but the actions I take will make the impression on them that will make or break me.
I step in, no ones here? this is super weird. almost like no one cares that i'm even here, surely they would be happy to see the new rookie right? there's no way I got strung out to dry like yesterdays dirty towel. Whatever, I'll just sit down, make myself at home here while i wait for everyone to show up. 
hmm, an hour has passed and still no sign of anyone, I call my new teammate that i've spoken to maybe twice before, he answers. "Where are you guys?" I ask nervously. 
"Uhh, djoe? first practice is tomorrow buddy." Way to go, I've made a fool of myself and no ones here to see it. surely they'll hear by tomorrow.

175 words

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Colorado’s newest winger Clark Kent! Despite being a little late to the party due to not being drafted, the Raptors squad was very welcoming and took the superhero in with open arms. Speaking of Clark Kent's hidden alias, while his new teammates couldn't have been any nicer, he decided to hide the fact that he is (allegedly!) Superman, not wanting to add any distractions before training camp and preseason. As a welcoming party for the new players, the staff and returning players hosted a movie night, where the team got together and marathoned the old jurassic park movies! When asked about his first impression of the team, Kent stated “It's been truly amazing so far. Everyone has welcomed me with open arms and I'm excited to show my talents in this upcoming season!”. After a great introduction to the Raptors squad, the man of steel is looking forward to training camp and the start of his rookie season!

168 Words

Big Sweg enters the room, and everyone is nice. Feels like I have been before, maybe in earlier life. I know many faces, many faces know me. That's good, Big Sweg is happy. Everyone say hi, I say Hi back. We will play together soon, it will be good. Hopefully, we win many games together, if not that is also fine, Big Sweg is happy either way. Winning is always the best though, but Big Sweg is not a picky eater. Talking of food, Food was good. Many delicious treats in this town in the north. Many sea foods, Big Sweg is not a fan of sea foods but Newfoundland sea foods good. One day maybe Big Sweg goes on a fishing boat, who knows. Big Sweg strong, can pull up big fish into the boat, save on machinery of fishing boat. Maybe if hockey career doesn't pan out Big Sweg can become fisherman instead. Wouldn't that be a sight to see?

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

Kenneth is no stranger to the Carolina locker room, going over to visit a couple of times as a kid when his uncle Tomas last played in the SMJHL. Some things have changed from that time but others have stayed the same. The locker room is still as welcoming to the new rookies as they were once upon a time and we were greeted with our first professional photoshoot right as we arrived. The arena layout was mostly the same, but the arena had gone through a lot of technical advancements since Tomas's days. The gym had more equipment and actually some automated trainers that helped you determine the best training regimen, each player was given an AR headset in order to practice on the ice while away from the rink. Kenneth also received a bigger rookie contract, being able to afford a much nicer apartment than the old studio apartment Tomas had kept for him.

[Image: 8NuVFvj.png]

Kenneth Lind (S78-)

Tomas Lind (S57-S78)

[Image: kennethlind.gif]
@Stadacona

[Image: canadice.gif]
@sköldpaddor @High Stick King @Ragnar

[Image: hKhKXUL.png]

Hamper's unique anatomy really plays into a lot of different possible pranks, having a laundry hamper for a head can be really troublesome sometimes. Most people try and throw stuff into my head/basket and the hazing ritual when Hamper Linthome got into the Newfoundland locker room was no different. I will say that everyone has been very friendly and nothing was done in a mean way but more of a just welcoming to the team hazing than anything else, In fact it was Hamper's idea to try and break the ice before mor formal introductions. The team took turns trying to "Kobe" pucks into the basket, a lot easier said than done for something of such a weird shape. Only a few players actually got any in, looks like these hockey players aren't very good at basketball. After the fun was had, Hamper introduced himself to everyone and got familiar with his new team hoping to do great things in Newfoundland.

[Image: rFu52UT.jpeg]