Create Account

S78 PT #5: Playoff Woahs and Woes Due: Sunday, September 15th @ 11:59 PM PST

written option 2

I understand the pressure and work it takes to win a Cup. I've done it before with the Colorado Raptors in the SMJHL. It was an incredible journey that I do not take for granted. With two seasons in the SHL in the books, the Challenge Cup is still elusive to me and my team. It is a much more difficult challenge to win the Cup at the professional level. But after we get knocked out of the playoffs, I need to have a short term memory in order to get right back at it. No dwelling on the past. I use the off season to train, recharge, and get ready for the next season ahead. I have to keep striving for greatness because I know for damn sure that my opponent is doing the same thing. The Challenge Cup is our ultimate goal and I will keep training so I can win one.... or many.

[Image: LChpoGG5_o.jpg]

I mean, who doesn't like the admiration of a great play by the local fans? And it never hurts to be able to be featured on ESPN's top 10 plays either. But in reality, those fancy plays aren't where the wins come from. Those wins are what is important and it is the day to day work and hustle from the team that makes that happen. If we happen to get lucky and make some amazing shot, save, or hit then that's all the better but I am sure I can speak for the team when I say that those are simply perks and the 2 points is more than worth not being featured on ESPN for the day. And now with playoffs going on the team is just focused on executing and hoping that we can get the wins necessary to continue to move on. You can never count New England out!

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

Written Option 2: Every season, only 17 players of the 340 in the SHL get the honour of lifting the Challenge Cup and only another 17 of the 272 players in the SMJHL get the honour of lifting the Four Star cup. With the odds stacked against you, how does your player deal with the pressure of potentially losing in the playoffs? How does your player deal with defeat in playoffs? What does your player do with the free time after the woes of losing in playoffs? Does your team follow the tradition of golfing after the playoffs?

I'm on my fifth player now, and haven't won a Challenge Cup since my second player in S38. But I won a combined five Challenge Cups with my first two players. In fact, my very first player won two Challenge Cups in his first two seasons so at the time it seemed very easy! Mostly he was just lucky to be drafted to a powerhouse team back in those days. And now there are way more teams in the league and way more great players so it just gets harder and harder to win one. And to build a team to the point where it's a contender can take many seasons, like over a real life year to get a team to the point where they maybe have a better chance to contend, and even then there will probably be several teams that are just as good. So there's never any guarantee. The 4 Star Cup seems like there might be better odds to win but not for me, I've never been on a team that won the SMJHL championship. The one area where I've gotten lucky though is in the IIHF, I've been fortunate to play for Norway which has won quite a few medals and even got a couple golds in the World Junior Championships, so my players haven't had careers with absolutely nothing to show for it! I don't know how I would react if I won anything with my newest player, but I feel like it might be the last chance to try and win a Four Star Cup but if we don't, I guess it's just look forward to the IIHF again!

[Image: dZqcwmW.jpg?format=webp&width=710&height=473]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
Argonauts        S77 SHL DRAFT 4TH OVERALL PICK          Argonauts
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

WRITTEN OPTION 2

Aumy Junior II has played for multiple teams and actually has never been on a sure contender. He is always trying to stay as professional as he can. Winning and losing is a part of the game and each player has to understand it. You can't win them all and can't lose them all either. Four seasons in SMJHL and five seasons in SHL, but almost no success in the "play-offs" so far. His SHL team just got eliminated in the first round once again as well. Seven games against Buffalo "Stampede" and a tough loss. So he is almost okay with the outcome. "North Stars" are located in Toronto and they actually don't play that much golf in Canada. Aumy Junior II usually just spends off-season with his family in Finland. Hockey is a sport and it would be stupid to be angry or upset, because of losing in sports game. Play and results will come!

157 words

Stars Stars Stars

Written Option 2

Squidwardo Tentacles joined the Seattle Argonauts last season and has done what he can so far in order to help the team. The Argonauts are in the back half of a deep rebuild that saw them finish in the bottom 5 for the past 5 seasons, needless to say the Argonauts did not make the playoffs in his first season with them in the SHL. The team is still multiple seasons away from being able to compete for the cup, and there was plenty of evidence of that with their strong prospect pool gathered from years of high first round picks. In Squidwardo's second season with the club, the Argonauts may have only finished with 2 more wins but they also had 9 more points than the previous season. Surprisingly they were able to secure a playoff spot by winning a couple important games in the final few weeks to snag the last playoff spot in the Western Conference. The Argos were bounced in a quick 4 game sweep by the league's number 1 ranked Los Angeles Panthers. Even though Seattle was swept, Squidwardo and the Argonauts remain optimistic. Heading into the season they weren't projected to make the playoffs and lots of people bet on them to win under 20 games, but they battled hard and made it into the playoffs for the first time in a while. Now looking ahead, the Argonauts are full of hope and look forward to making it back to the dance but winning a round next time. (250+ words)

[Image: TheOPSquid.gif]
[Image: v2ZHYxx.png]

Option 2:

As professional athletes, pressure comes with the territory. You can try to run from it or tell yourself you won't fall victim to it, but you don't have a choice. It's human nature to feel that in important situations and if you're lucky enough, as an athlete, you're going to find yourself involved in those big moments. How to handle yourself is what separates the elite players from everyone else.

There is no more pressure packed situation than the playoffs. Every play feels like the most important one and you, simultaneously, don't want to be the one who gives up the big play against while also wanting to be the one who gets the big play. Mistakes are magnified so you're always on guard. To try and handle the pressure, I really try to keep myself centred and in the moment. When I'm on the ice, I try to block out everything else and just see the game in front of me. Last season, we made the Challenge Cup and I had never experienced a moment like that. Now that I have that experience, I feel much more prepared for that moment if I ever get lucky enough to reach it again.

(202 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 78
48-15-3
Regular Season - [G 6] [A 31] [Pts 37] [+/- +39] [PIM 42] [Hits 66] [SB 128]
Playoffs - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: 8FZ99SX.jpeg]

PT Pass

[Image: pyro182.gif]

Thank you hewasajazzman, Slothfacekilla, Sulo, Frenchie, and Raymond for the sigs Smile

ISFL PT (username is Drizzy)

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: draft-ad.png?ex=66247d0e&is=6612080e&hm=...cddcfb611&]

Opt 1

Whenever it has been the case to start playing the playoffs to determine who takes it home this season, the preparation has always been the same for N'Zola. Naturally it begins with doing whatever it takes even if it would be the dirty things people do in the hockey rink but never anything which would involve showboating in viewers glory. It takes the edge off of the hockey completely when you start doing very risky and flairy things on the ice during the most important games of the season which goes right against N'Zolas old school mentality of just playing hockey and getting it done even if it takes a toll either physically or mentally. Safe to say that Georg relies heavily on his ability to play the game without any shenanigans to please the viewers either at the location or at the comfort of their own home. People should rejoice that their team is in the playoffs doing their very best instead of expecting them to turn it up a notch just for the sake of it

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

Favourite off season activity

[Image: IMG-0598.jpg]

Jennifer has dealt with pressure her whole life, between being an idol and being a hockey player you need to be able to deal with stress at a high level to be successful in either career. Ultimately she knows that you cannot win the cup every season, and that losing is part of the game, so while it is disappointing to be out of the playoffs, she is able to still see the successes she had on the ice and with the team. Once her season is over, she still has two jobs. First, she still has IIHF with Czechia, and between practices and games it does keep her busy, especially since she usually has to travel across the world. But she also has her Le Sserafim commitments that she can focus on now that her SMJHL season is over. So while other players have an offseason full of golf, Jen has an offseason full of hockey and idol-ing.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

Robo Sven doesn't really try to impress during the playoffs, or any time really. He's constantly analyzing the environment in front of him and saving it to memory to reassess later to see if he came up with the most optimal play given the circumstances. However, even though he is 90% robotic at this point, he does still have some humanity left in him and that means he still has the capability to showboat every now and then. He tries to save these moments for celebrations after goals, but that's been more and more infrequent as of late. Most of his showboating has been setup plays at this point, trying to go for long stretch passes that will hopefully generate a breakaway and lead to some offense that the Whalers desperately need. Spoiler: it didn't quite work, as the Whalers have fallen to the Grizzlies in 7 games, spoiling their back to back championship tour.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

Graphic Option 2: Draw your player doing their favourite offseason activity.

[Image: WhNhawK.png]

[Image: dinonuggets2.gif]
Credit to Amidships & sulovilen