Create Account

Official Rap/R&B discussion thread

Quote:Originally posted by BasedMinkus@Dec 19 2012, 07:43 PM

yup

Dreamchasers 2 imo

Quote:Originally posted by BasedMinkus@Dec 19 2012, 07:10 PM
I am going to try and do an album review a day until the end of the year. So if you have suggestions for albums to review (from any year), I will listen and do a short review.
Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money
Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East

Good review on Skyzoo's. I definitely agree there's no clear #1 track, though Range Rover Rhythm is def my favorite.

Another for you:
Obie Trice - Bottoms Up

Laughing to the Bank has gotta be one of the greatest hip-hop tracks I have ever heard. Im so emotional right now because it got to me.

Dreamchasers 2 - Meek Mill

1. Intro - 3.5
2. Ready Or Not - 2.5
3. Amen (ft. Drake & Jeremih) - 3
4. Burn (ft. Big Sean) - 4.5
5. A1 Everything (ft. Kendrick Lamar) - 4
6. Use To Be (ft. Jordanne) - 1.5
7. Flexing - 4
8. I Get It (ft. Travis Scott) - 2
9. Everyday (ft. Rick Ross) - 3
10. Racked Up Shawty (ft. Fabolous & French Montana) - 1
11. Lean Wit It - 3.5
12. Big Dreams - 4
13. Take U Home (ft. Wale & Big Sean) - 2
14. The Ride - 3
15. Face Down (ft. Trey Songz, Wale & Sam Sneaker) - 2.5
16. Str8 Like That (ft. 2 Chainz & Louie V) - 3
17. House Party Remix (ft. Fabolous, Wale & Mac Miller) - 3.5
18. Real - 4
19. On My Way - 2
20. Outro - 3.5
Total: 58/100 = 2.9/5

This is a very disjointed and boring mixtape. People already know I that I am not a big fan of meek mill and some of the things that I didn't like about Dreams and Nightmares are on here two. Firstly though, he get amazing production, Jahlil Beats is a monster at making bangers. Other than that there isn't much I like. Meek Mill has horrible breath control (real prevalent in A1 Everything) and he never switches up his flow ever and it really holds him back because it's like if you have heard one song you have heard em all.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Captain Murphy – Duality
1|Disciples| – NA
2|El Topo| 3/5
3|Mighty Morphin Foreskinz 5/5
4|The Ritual|4/5
5|Between Friends (Ft. Earl)|4/5
6|Children of the Atom|3.5/5
7|Jalepenoes|4/5
8|Gloe| 4/5
9|The Killing Joke|5/5
- This beat is just amazing
10|Hovecrafts and Cows|3/5
11|Gone Fishing (ft. Jeremih Jae)|4/5
12|Drive Thru| 4.5/5
13|Immaculation (ft. Azizi Gibson and Jeremiah Jae)|4/5
14|The Prisoner|3.5/5
15|Shake Weight|4.5/5
Total: 56/70 = 4.03/5

This is honestly the strangest thing I have listened to all year.... And I enjoyed the shit out of it. Captain Murphy is actually Flying Lotus and Flying Lotus is amazing. This is the best produced album of the year and while the distortion is irritating, I can get past it. Real weird and out there yet enjoyable.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Dion.OvOxO@Dec 20 2012, 11:41 AM
Laughing to the Bank has gotta be one of the greatest hip-hop tracks I have ever heard. Im so emotional right now because it got to me.

You spelled utter shit wrong.

Quote:Originally posted by Spangify@Dec 20 2012, 03:47 PM

You spelled utter shit wrong.

Yeahthat

Chief Keef is fucking terrible.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
Im Laughing To The Bank
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Quote:Originally posted by BasedMinkus@Dec 20 2012, 03:47 PM
Captain Murphy – Duality
1|Disciples| – NA
2|El Topo| 3/5
3|Mighty Morphin Foreskinz 5/5
4|The Ritual|4/5
5|Between Friends (Ft. Earl)|4/5
6|Children of the Atom|3.5/5
7|Jalepenoes|4/5
8|Gloe| 4/5
9|The Killing Joke|5/5
- This beat is just amazing
10|Hovecrafts and Cows|3/5
11|Gone Fishing (ft. Jeremih Jae)|4/5
12|Drive Thru| 4.5/5
13|Immaculation (ft. Azizi Gibson and Jeremiah Jae)|4/5
14|The Prisoner|3.5/5
15|Shake Weight|4.5/5
[b]Total:
56/70 = 4.03/5

This is honestly the strangest thing I have listened to all year.... And I enjoyed the shit out of it. Captain Murphy is actually Flying Lotus and Flying Lotus is amazing. This is the best produced album of the year and while the distortion is irritating, I can get past it. Real weird and out there yet enjoyable.[/b]
glad you liked it Cheers

longliveasap tbh

Quote:Originally posted by diglet@Dec 20 2012, 10:38 PM
longliveasap tbh

Was below average.

My Take Care review:

Over My Dead Body: 3.75/5
-I do like the hook, honestly. This is the Drake that I admittedly do enjoy.
Shot for Me: 3/5
-This should've been a song for The Weeknd. His second verse isn't that good, but the first verse is good.
Headlines: 4/5
-Good song. Again, this is still the Drake I do enjoy. Good production from Boi-1da.
Crew Love (ft. The Weeknd): 4.5/5
-I may not be a huge Drake fan (I do recognize he has talent, unlike his YMCMB brothers/sisters), but if he and The Weeknd made a collab album, I'd listen the shit out of it.
Take Care (ft. Rihanna): 2.75/5
-It wasn't bad until the weird ass interlude at the end. Totally ruined the song.
Marvins Room: 3.25/5
-Another example of Drake being better at R&B than rapping.
Buried Alive Interlude: 4.75/5 *NOT INCLUDED IN FINAL RATING SINCE IT'S KENDRICK*
-Great track, really one that allows Kendrick to flex his lyrical muscle.
Under Ground Kings: 3/5
-Honestly just don't feel this one. It's not bad, but I just can't fuck with it.
We'll Be Fine (ft. Birdman): 2.75/5
-Couldn't help hold back my laughter when Birdman said, "Toronto, stand up for one of the realest niggas / Drizzy".
Make Me Proud (ft. Nicki Minaj): 2.5/5
-Drake flexes his muscle on hooks here and his verse is alright, I guess, but Nicki is her typical wackass self. It's a damn shame she's so wack, because this one could've been good.
Lord Knows (ft. Rick Ross): 2.75/5
-As expected, Just Blaze's production was dope and Drake wasn't too bad, but also as predicted, Officer Ricky should've locked this rap up and never have let it lout.
Cameras / Good Ones Go Interlude: 3/5
-Honestly, this should've been split up. Drake sounds like 50 Cent on Cameras, in that he sounds bored as fuck. 3, I guess.
Doing It Wrong: 2.75/5
The Real Her (ft. Lil Wayne & Andre 3000): 3/5
-The first time I've ever found myself saying, "Man, I wish that Wayne verse was a little longer." Andre 3000 tries to perform CPR to this, but to no avail.
Look What You've Done: 2.75/5
-Just not fucking with this one.
HYFR (Hell Ya Fucking Right) (ft. Lil Wayne): 3/5
-Wayne isn't awful here? Blasphemous. Hook is bad though.
Practice: 2.5/5
The Ride: 4/5
-Good shit from Abel on this one with the hook and the verses by Drake are pretty good too. Need more collabos from these two.

53.25/85 -> 3.13/5

Is it better than I remember it? Yes, sure. Last time I listened, I really didn't like it, but I guess for some reason it has grown on me, possibly because I've gotten into The Weeknd. Do I still not like that it's moving on as much as it is in the hip hop album competition? Yes, because it's far from deserving of moving on like it is. Ultimately though, he is held back by the crew he surrounds himself with. If he got away from the wackass people he enjoys collabing with, he'd be doing himself a huge favor. Ultimately though, using my ranking system, a rating of 3.13/5 is classified as a "bad album" and I do feel as though it fits the bill.

Quote:Originally posted by Spangify@Dec 21 2012, 10:38 PM
My Take Care review:

Over My Dead Body: 3.75/5
-I do like the hook, honestly. This is the Drake that I admittedly do enjoy.
Shot for Me: 3/5
-This should've been a song for The Weeknd. His second verse isn't that good, but the first verse is good.
Headlines: 4/5
-Good song. Again, this is still the Drake I do enjoy. Good production from Boi-1da.
Crew Love (ft. The Weeknd): 4.5/5
-I may not be a huge Drake fan (I do recognize he has talent, unlike his YMCMB brothers/sisters), but if he and The Weeknd made a collab album, I'd listen the shit out of it.
Take Care (ft. Rihanna): 2.75/5
-It wasn't bad until the weird ass interlude at the end. Totally ruined the song.
Marvins Room: 3.25/5
-Another example of Drake being better at R&B than rapping.
Buried Alive Interlude: 4.75/5 *NOT INCLUDED IN FINAL RATING SINCE IT'S KENDRICK*
-Great track, really one that allows Kendrick to flex his lyrical muscle.
Under Ground Kings: 3/5
-Honestly just don't feel this one. It's not bad, but I just can't fuck with it.
We'll Be Fine (ft. Birdman): 2.75/5
-Couldn't help hold back my laughter when Birdman said, "Toronto, stand up for one of the realest niggas / Drizzy".
Make Me Proud (ft. Nicki Minaj): 2.5/5
-Drake flexes his muscle on hooks here and his verse is alright, I guess, but Nicki is her typical wackass self. It's a damn shame she's so wack, because this one could've been good.
Lord Knows (ft. Rick Ross): 2.75/5
-As expected, Just Blaze's production was dope and Drake wasn't too bad, but also as predicted, Officer Ricky should've locked this rap up and never have let it lout.
Cameras / Good Ones Go Interlude: 3/5
-Honestly, this should've been split up. Drake sounds like 50 Cent on Cameras, in that he sounds bored as fuck. 3, I guess.
Doing It Wrong: 2.75/5
The Real Her (ft. Lil Wayne & Andre 3000): 3/5
-The first time I've ever found myself saying, "Man, I wish that Wayne verse was a little longer." Andre 3000 tries to perform CPR to this, but to no avail.
Look What You've Done: 2.75/5
-Just not fucking with this one.
HYFR (Hell Ya Fucking Right) (ft. Lil Wayne): 3/5
-Wayne isn't awful here? Blasphemous. Hook is bad though.
Practice: 2.5/5
The Ride: 4/5
-Good shit from Abel on this one with the hook and the verses by Drake are pretty good too. Need more collabos from these two.

53.25/85 -> 3.13/5

Is it better than I remember it? Yes, sure. Last time I listened, I really didn't like it, but I guess for some reason it has grown on me, possibly because I've gotten into The Weeknd. Do I still not like that it's moving on as much as it is in the hip hop album competition? Yes, because it's far from deserving of moving on like it is. Ultimately though, he is held back by the crew he surrounds himself with. If he got away from the wackass people he enjoys collabing with, he'd be doing himself a huge favor. Ultimately though, using my ranking system, a rating of 3.13/5 is classified as a "bad album" and I do feel as though it fits the bill.

Why do you think Practice is a 2.5? I still don't agree with your assessment of it, but I guess we just have different opinions here.