Create Account

Official Rap/R&B discussion thread

<div align="center">[Image: 220px-50-cent-animal-ambition.jpg]

50 Cent - Animal Ambition

Hold On: 3.75/5
-This one is certainly a very laid back track as 50 seems pretty chill as he delivers his bars. The beat is suitably slow and chill as well. In terms of his bars, they are ok, but certainly nothing to write home about. Personally, I really like, "Used to do graffiti, now look we major / Don't make me write my name across your face with a razor", which also happens to be one of the few lines he really puts some energy behind. Overall, this is a solid intro track for 50's first proper album in a while, but it certainly leaves much to be desired. Luckily, it is the closest to old 50 we have had in a while, so I cannot be too mad.

Don’t Worry ‘Bout It (ft. Yo Gotti): 3/5
-"That's your bitch, I understand, I've seen it all on Instagram", call me weird but I always hate when rappers name drop sites like Instagram. Comes off as awkward and like a cry for help of sorts. Anyways, you know times are hard when Yo Gotti renegades you, as he does here to 50. The hook is vintage 50, as his flow is good and his energy is top-notch on it. However, his bars are certainly not up to par with what Yo Gotti spit (I feel sick just saying that). They are not trash by any means, but could certainly be better. The beat is a bit annoying as it is all over the place and at times makes me think "damn this is hot", but the constant, I do not know what to call it, but if you listen you will know what I mean since by "constant", I mean it is throughout the whole song is undeniably annoying. This track is not horrible, but much like intro, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Animal Ambition: 3.75/5
-Largely just used as an exercise for 50 to spit some hot bars as the hook is pretty much just thrown in there to take up space in between his verses and is nothing to write home about. Here, 50's flow is very good and his bars, for the most part, hit pretty well. He has certainly spit better verses than these two, but I like them nonetheless. However, the main concern when it comes to 50 is his beats since he is certainly not noted for his lyricism and, here, the beat is nothing more than ok. I think it works well with the flow 50 uses and stuff, but it certainly is nothing like old 50 circa GRODT. Now, I get that he has to change as an artist, but that is no reason to regress. With a better beat, this one could be a standout.

Pilot: 3.5/5
-For starters, I am not a huge fan of the hook. It is honestly pretty shitty. 50's delivery is iffy on it and then the repeating portions are more annoying than catchy. Unfortunately, since it is the hook, it takes up a good portion of this track and no matter how good the verses are, it is disappointing knowing that we have to return to that hook at the end of each verse. However, both verses from 50 are very well done. Towards the end of his second verse, his delivery changes a bit and I am not a fan of it. However, for the entire first verse and for the majority of the second, his flow/delivery are very good and his bars work well. The beat is also not stellar, but ultimately, it gets the job done. For 50, I want better beats, but I guess this works to a small degree.

Smoke (ft. Trey Songz): 2.5/5
-You can tell this is a Dre beat and the song is better for it undoubtedly. However, it is not Dre's best work in the least and really is a disappointment. I really hope this was a track that was just left off of Detox or something that 50 thought was hot because it is probably my least favorite one here. I typically like Trey Songz' hooks, but here, it leaves a lot to be desired. On top of that, as I said the beat is not great and then 50's bars are simply stupid. We got, she's got a big ass, I do not think this requires a whole song though, no? This album was intended to be used as hype for Street King Immortal, but I certainly do not feel hyped.

Everytime I Come Around (ft. Kidd Kidd): 3.75/5
-Now this is a track that inspires hope, if only because of the hook, as "Ring around the rosies, pockets full of OZ's" is the best creative thing to come out of 50 since 2005. However, whoever told Kidd Kidd that he is dope needs to be given a hearing aid, because they are deaf as hell. Thank God the hook is dope and 50's verse delivers or else this one would be a total bummer. The beat is pretty dope as well and really helps me to forget Kidd Kidd's attempt to rap. Any beat that can accomplish that feat is pretty amazing in my books.

Irregular Heartbeat (ft. Jadakiss & Kidd Kidd): 4.25/5
-Ya, this one is definitely the standout track on this album. Dope beat for starters (really makes you feel your heartbeat) and 50's whisper rapping is really used effectively here. The bars he spits are hot as well, in particular, "You think my rap shit a gimmick, I ain't seen parole in a minute / Truth be told these niggas is hoes / Once the shit set off, man, anything goes / Through the windows of your soul, the eyes never lie / If you ain't scared to die, *****, why would you cry?". The hook is also top-notch and while I prefer the hook on the last track, it certainly shows that 50's hook game has not left him entirely. Jadakiss also has a solid guest turn here and keeps the dark mood moving. Kidd Kidd, meanwhile, please stop.

Hustler: 2.75/5
-Really, this one seemed promising when I first heard it. I do not know why I tricked myself into thinking this would be some really dope old school 50 type shit, but it was really anything but. Rather, the hook is meh at best. I am not a huge huge fan of his delivery, but it works ok. However, his bars and delivery on his verses are pretty bad. There is not much to talk about here, other than this one being relatively disappointing. There may not be any clearly strong tracks, but this one is one of many disappointing tracks.

Twisted (ft. Mr. Probz): 3.75/5
-Mr. Probz' voice is ok at best, but really, somebody better for the hook could be found. 50's verses here though, are really quite good. When I heard the inclusion of "turn up" in the hook at the beginning, I expected another wannabe club banger like "Don't Worry Bout It". However, when the beat calms down and 50 starts off his first verse, this one becomes one of the better tracks here, honestly, minus the hook from Mr. Probz. The hook throughout is fine (though I prefer the low-key beat on the verses that allows 50 to spit without the beat stealing the spotlight at all). If the hook was a bit better, I could appreciate this track more, but if 50 could work out the kinks in this one, I would undoubtedly be very satisfied with it. As it stands, I am happy to see this one not be totally disappointing.

Winners Circle (ft. Guordan Banks): 3.5/5
-For starters, the hook by Guordan Banks is actually pretty good. It is far from great, but it works well for this inspirational-type track. However, for 50, I am not really feeling his bars. While his drug and gangsta schtick can certainly get old at times, he is certainly in his element there. However, here, he sounds also unconfident at times and does not have his typical swagger. His flow is fine, but he is lacking the energy that makes his songs what they typically are. The beat is nothing to write home about, but gets the job done. It feels like your standard beat with nothing extra added to it, but nothing is wrong with simple if it works well. This track is certainly not a black eye for the album, but, much like a lot of this one, leaves quite a bit to be desired. Where is 50.

Chase the Paper (ft. Prodigy, Kidd Kidd & Styles P): 3.5/5
-Fuck you Kidd Kidd. Nah, he is actually ok here (i.e. not utter trash). Lots of guys get trotted out here, but I do not know what it is, this one just does not feel exceptional in any way whatsoever. None of it is necessarily bad, but I guess this one is a microcosm for the whole album. Lots of interesting pieces, solid beat, solid bars from all, solid hook, etc, but none of it is great. The song is nothing more than ok and almost leaves you disappointed due to its unexceptionalness.

38/55 -> 3.45/5

I do not know why I ever let myself believe this one would turn out alright. When I first heard tracks like "Hold On" and "The Funeral" (on the deluxe edition of this one), I was hopeful. Neither were phenomenal tracks, but they were definitely some of the best tracks from 50 in years. Tracks like "Irregular Heartbeat" and "Everytime I Come Around" also work really well and only serve to make the lows here all the more disappointing. Unfortunately, even those "highs" are not really all that high, rather they are just pretty good and are acceptable tracks. Meanwhile, tracks such as "Don't Worry Bout It", "Hustler", and "Smoke", are clear lows here and really underscore my disappointment. Now, as a whole, the album is not bad I guess, but it certainly does not make me hyped for Street King Immortal like 50 Cent is hoping it will. Rather, it makes me even more skeptical about his ability to deliver a quality record in 2014.</div>

Not really hip hop, but I'll post here anyways.

<div align="center">[Image: 220px-UltraviolenceLDR.png]

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence

Cruel World: 4.75/5
Ultraviolence: 4.5/5
Shades of Cool: 4.25/5
Brooklyn Baby: 4.5/5
West Coast: 4.25/5
Sad Girl: 4.5/5
Pretty When You Cry: 4/5
Money Power Glory: 4.75/5
Fucked My Way Up to the Top: 4.25/5
Old Money: 4.5/5
The Other Woman: 3.75/5
Black Beauty: 4.75/5
Guns and Roses: 4/5
Florida Kilos: 4/5

60.75/70 -> 4.34/5

Overall, Lana Del Rey's second full length album is a major success. Every track truly feels almost atmospheric to me at times and, from what I can hear, Lana's lyrics are no longer as cringeworthy as they were on some of the efforts from her first album. Though, I still prefer the first effort, because while it was almost as dark as this one, there was a certain lightness to it that lifted the dark cloud from the music. This album is entirely dreary. Everything has a dark rain cloud hanging over it and while all of the songs are beautiful, that can get tiresome at certain points. The tracklisting here is also really well done, as the songs all flow very well into one another, though that also leads to some of the songs almost sounding the same at times, which is a negative for this one, as a few of the songs feel and sound the same as one another. But, since I like those songs, I do not really mind all that much. "Cruel World", "Money Power Glory", and "Black Beauty", are really the standout tracks here for me.
</div>

<div align="center">[Image: 220px-Ab-Soul%2C_%27These_Days%E2%80%A6%...C_2014.jpg]

Ab-Soul - These Days...

God’s Reign (ft. SZA): 5/5
-The hook from SZA is really something to behold on this track as it is entirely beautiful. The breathy, atmopheric sound to it is perfect for this track and really sweeps you off your feet immediately. Luckily, Ab-Soul does anything but ruin the hook. I am not a huge fan of his, but even I cannot deny that his verses are killer. In particular, I really enjoy these lines, "Soulo in the backseat, in a thing with some tints on it / With a thing with some tits on her" and "I say cuz around Bloods and I say Blood around Crips, I'm twisted". The bars themselves are good, but what I really like about them is his delivery on both, which is a constant theme throughout this one. While he is delivering great raps, his delivery and flow here are on point and perfect with this beat. Overall, this is a pretty epic intro track and really elevates my hopes for the rest of the album. I do not give out many 5/5's, but I think this one is worthy.

Tree of Life: 3.5/5
-The first words we hear on this one, "Quiero vivir como los árboles", are honestly my favorite part. I cannot explain it, but I love the delivery of it and its usage is great. However, then it goes downhill from there. The beat is good, but for the most part, it is typical Ab-Soul fair. Dope rhymes, sure, but it just never really hooks me in. I am not a fan of Ab-Soul here, though is delivery and flow are fine, but it just never really reaches the heights of the opening track. In addition, the Joey Bada$$ sample is not great, not just because I am not a huge fan of Joey either, but also where it comes up. It kind of takes away from the track and feels like excess, rather than something that elevates the track. It is not a bad track, but it is nothing great.

Hunnid Stax (ft. Schoolboy Q): 4.5/5
-First off, love the Lana Del Rey sample (who dropped the best album of the year thus far for me). The beat is also something great, as it really bumps. This is definitely something I would bump in the whip if I was cooler or had a car. The hook from Mac Miller is also good. I like his delivery on the hook, it is certainly a drugged delivery, but it works well for this song. Soulo's verse also satisfies here for me, though I think he gets "renegaded" by Schoolboy Q here, which is certainly surprising. Q's delivery and flow are perfect on this beat and he really feels motivated and in comfort zone on this beat. This track was made for Q and he shows it. In particular, I love his delivery and flow on the lines, "Ain't nothing more important than a hoover / Who hoppin' out cars, unloadin' that pop, pop, yawk, yawk, move ya'".

Dub Sac: 4.5/5
-Soulo's delivery and flow here are exactly what I am hoping for from him. Those really serve to amplify his great verses here, in particular the first half of the first verse (further in particular: "Smoke weed, I got plenty, take your quarter back like McNabb / Sip lean, I got plenty, I drop a ace in a liter now I got a quinceañera"). This track certainly has a similar to "Hunnid Stax", in that the beat is banging and Soul uses it to flex his lyrical skills. Overall, I do not have much to complain about, as I like everything about this one; Ab-Soul, the beat, the post-hook, the hook itself. Really, everything is clicking so far.

World Runners (ft. Lupe Fiasco & Nikki Jean): 4.25/5
-I am never really a fan of repeating lines, such as the bridge in this track, especially when it is just not interesting enough to repeat multiple times. However, the other elements here are, again, clicking. Ab-Soul's verse is good, in particular, "I got a gun and a good book, leave all your homies holy, moly", plus the hook works very well. The beat is also very complimentary here for Ab-Soul and Lupe, as it does not command too too much attention, but when it commands attention, it is serves to lift up their bars. Lupe also has a solid guest turn here and though Ab-Soul definitely outperformed him, Lupe held his own and definitely leaves me hoping his next album is not another disappointment from him. Now, none of this track is "great", but it is all very solid and works well. Definitely a solid entry to this work.

Nevermind That (ft. Rick Ross): 4/5
-This hook is definitely a hype hook and damn is ever hard hitting. The beat bangs in the beginning and really gets you hyped for what is set to come. Soulo slows his delivery down a bit on this track and I like what he is saying here for sure. I also enjoy BJ the Chicago Kid on the hook, but I hate that it is just one line that keeps repeating. As I said before, that is something I rarely enjoy and this track is no exception. Did I say this beat bangs? Because, damn, does it ever bang, I can see why this is a guest appearance for Rick Ross, as this one is right in his wheelhouse. Also surprisingly, the Bawse himself does not get totally killed here. While Ab-Soul delivered some solid verses, Rick Ross does not get overshadowed and really hangs with Soulo pretty well. However, that may be representative of the fact that these are certainly not Soulo's best verses, but they work well for this track.

Twact (ft. Jinx & Short Dawg): 3/5
-As this is about my fifth listen to this album, I can certainly recognize that this is typically the turning point for me, where I return to respecting Ab-Soul, but not being overly wowed. Another hype track with a pretty dope beat, this one has got some of the sketchier guest verses, as Short Dawg sucks. Jinx, however, is fine. He does not kill his verse, but he at least does not sound as bad as Short Dawg. Dude needs to go back to being somebody I never heard of, for real. In addition, Soulo's verse is not my favorite on this album. His flow is fine here, but I just never really get into what he is saying. Luckily, this one is not all bad, as the beat, as I said before, is pretty dope and the hook works well for the track. However, I just cannot really get into this one too much.

Just Have Fun: 3.25/5
-The second track in a row that just does not click for me. Ab-Soul's bars are not really too interesting to me and then his delivery and flow are a little lacking on this one as well. The hook is also not something I want to listen to over and over again, rather it is something I want to shut off. The beat is also just not interesting. It is not a trainwreck, but falls flat for the most part. Overall, this is a skippable track that does not demand further plays. The only thing going for this one is that "These Days" is tacked onto the end of it, which is a really regrettable decision, since that track is dope and the stuff before it is anything but. On "These Days", Soul's verse is great and his delivery/flow are perfect. The hook is also very interesting and well delivered. If only that portion was longer and not tacked onto this one.

Kendrick Lamar Interlude (ft. Kendrick Lamar): NA/5
-I will not rate this track, since it is not Ab-Soul. I will also not spend too much time reviewing it for the same reason, but it is dope. Kendrick does not disappoint and is great as usual. Overall, dope track here. King Kendrick 4 Ever.

Closure: 4.25/5
-This one is definitely an emotional track, as you can hear the pain in Soul's voice as he delivers his bars. This one is also clearly very personal for him, so it makes it hard to hate, but luckily, I do not have to try, since this track is pretty dope. His delivery is, at times, sketchy, but for the most part it is solid and I like what he is saying. Plus, the hook is great. I was hoping Jhene Aiko would have a more prominent role, but her contribution to the hook as she sings it along with Ab-Soul is a great touch and really helps to take any edge off of his singing voice. Honestly, this track is definitely not the best one here, but it is a bright spot on the album for sure and one I can see myself coming back to often.

Sapiosexual: 4/5
-Soulo's delivery and flow here are definitely unique, but certainly enjoyable. It is quite a change from "Closure", as this one is light, sexy fun. His verses also reflect this tone, as they are certainly quite entertaining to listen to and do not fall flat by any means. The Isaiah Rashad contribution is also very good, as rather than the Joey Bada$$ portion from a prior song, this one adds to the song and actually improves it. In addition, the hook is good and certainly quite catchy and enjoyable to listen to. Overall, this one is another solid entry on an album that is certainly better than I expected.

Stigmata (ft. Action Bronson & Asaad): 4/5
-"The Cross" is one of my favorite tracks from Nas, so I love the use of its hook here in the hook of this track. Ab-Soul uses it perfectly and delivers it well. His entire verse is really delivered well and his flow is good, while his bars are definitely dope as well. I am not a huge of Action Bronson, in particular his delivery or flow here. The track kind of hits the breaks once he takes the mic and really hurts the overall product. Luckily, Asaad is not that bad and allows the track to pick up again. His delivery is ok for me, his flow is ok, nothing extraordinary, but better than Bronson. In addition, the beat here is pretty dope. Ultimately, the first half of this track is great and the second half is disappointing.

Feelin’ Us (ft. Jay Rock & RaVaughn): 3.75/5
-Lots of repeating lines here and you guys know how I feel about them and this track is no exception. Eventually, it gets tiresome hearing the same line over-and-over. Luckily, Ab-Soul's verse is fine and the hook is half ok, so it is not all bad. However, the real star here is Jay Rock. As he has since "Money Trees" dropped, he killed it and continues to convince that maybe he is set to drop the hottest TDE album of the year. Dude is on a hot streak and shows no sign of slowing up. If it was not obvious, I think he "renegades" Soulo here, though Soulo is not bad. His flow and delivery on his second verse are better than on his first, but overall, nothing really bad from him. Overall, another solid track in a second half of the album that is anything but extraordinary.

Ride Slow (ft. Danny Brown & Mac Miller): 3.75/5
-Why does Mac Miller have like 5,000 different names? What is wrong with just going by Mac Miller? Anyways, the beat from him is very dark and methodic, which I enjoy. In addition, Soulo flows to it pretty well and his delivery is on point. His verses are good as well, they just never really hook me in too much, aside from his third verse, which is very dope. On that final verse, his delivery and flow are perfect and very much interesting. In particular, I like the line, "I walk on the dark side, only to shed light where they ain't no sun". But, aside from that verse, I like what he is saying, but I am just not into it. Then Danny Brown comes in and I disregard the entire verse because I hate when he uses his annoying voice. Many find it unique and fun, but I just find it annoying. If only he rapped normally like he did for much of Old, then he would be better served in my eyes. Finally, Mac's portion is fine. While I wish he did not alter his voice, I think it actually works ok for him for the most part and this track is no exception. Also, I do love the "Hail Mary" portion of this track and that really stands out as a great part of this long track.

W.R.O.H. (ft. JMSN): 4.5/5
-I am not going to talk about the rap battle because I do not care about it. Heck, I have yet to even listen to it. First off, the hook on this track is dope. A collaboration between Soulo and JMSN on its delivery, it works really well with these verses and this beat. In addition, Soulo's great here. He really delivers his bars here with a ton of energy and really commands your attention. His delivery and flow are perfect for these lines and this beat (which is also good). This track is ultimately a big high note and leaves you with a good taste in your mouth after listening to the album. Overall, a great closing track.

56.25/70 -> 4.02/5

Overall, I am very impressed by Ab-Soul's latest project as before this, I never really loved him. Sure, Control System was pretty good, but I was often turned off by his schtick and image. I was initially hesitant to check this one out because the cover made me think it would be more of the same, but luckily, it was not. Here, Ab-Soul is frequently blessed with great production and, for the most part, his lyrics and verses are on point and his delivery/flow are top-notch. The guest appearances are also pretty good, in particular Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock, and Kendrick Lamar. Some (Short Dawg, Action Bronson, and Danny Brown) are not as great, but when you have so many guests, you can expect some poor appearances. Ultimately, this effort is a good one that would be helped by fewer guests, but is still a very good effort from somebody who I would still consider to be my least favorite in TDE. But, his appeal is certainly on the rise for me.
</div>

24 hour drive to Regina, what are some must have albums?

[Image: w2d9MYW.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Snappy@Jul 16 2014, 04:21 PM
24 hour drive to Regina, what are some must have albums?

Riff Raff - Neon Icon

AOTY

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Jul 16 2014, 07:30 PM

Riff Raff - Neon Icon

AOTY
Lmfao

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Jul 16 2014, 05:30 PM

Riff Raff - Neon Icon

AOTY
Might hit the club and it's the white Danny Glover, Rap game Uncle Ben pulling rice out the oven

#GENE4HOF

TIP TOE WING IN MY JAWWDINZ

JT ain't even kidding. Neon Icon 4 AOTY.

Quote:Originally posted by Spangle@Jul 16 2014, 09:22 PM
TIP TOE WING IN MY JAWWDINZ

JT ain't even kidding. Neon Icon 4 AOTY.
Yeah not quite. Not a bad album especially considering my incredibly low expectations but not aoty

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

tip toe wing in my jawwdinz is more revolutionary than 2pac - changes.

PND Part 2 just got leaked....

Quote:Originally posted by Dion.OvOxO@Jul 24 2014, 07:11 PM
PND Part 2 just got leaked....
wtf is that

#GENE4HOF

Logic is the man.

[Image: kesler.gif]
[Image: vgIymom.png]

Quote:Originally posted by MÉTIS@Jul 24 2014, 07:33 PM
Logic is the man.

This is true. Logic is a beast on the mic.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]