Create Account

S49 SHL Awards Show

09-29-2019, 08:13 PMBaelor Swift Wrote: Thanks to his all-around play and rookie-leading 32 points, our winner of the Ryan Jesster Trophy is....

Olivier Cloutier!!! @Jenny

congrats Smile

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

09-29-2019, 09:30 PM39alaska39 Wrote:
09-29-2019, 09:22 PMFordyford Wrote: prolly true but awards committee is as awards committee does.

Can confirm, on other awards committee lol

Can't reward you guys too much for the S48 horror show Tongue

09-29-2019, 09:29 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
09-29-2019, 09:07 PMFordyford Wrote: I mean I disagree with the result of that (not winter) but I'm not that mad because at least he did win it. I am more just always interested in what you have to say about the whole lot of them. Always good to compare notes with what i thought should happen and see if you change my mind

I was a nominee for this one so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I still tried look at it as impartial as possible. First of all it was crazy how close this was and how things could change depending on how the exact wording of the tiebreakers in the rulebook was interpreted. However, I do not like the Co-Winners thing and think there ultimately should always be one winner, even if it comes down to the Committee Head just making the decision (in which case I would've lost to Leitner iirc).

About the players themselves: Leitner and myself where the guys I rated the highest, I also had McCarthy on my ballot but a good bit behind the other two. My player had a 20-point jump, which was the highest of all the players in the Top-50 or so that I looked at, breaking out as an elite player for the first time while also improving defensively. Leitner had a super dominant season showcased by all the other awards he had never even come close to those kinds of numbers before. Some have argued that a player who is up for MVP and a bunch of other awards shouldn't also be nominated for Most Improved but I disagree, I don't think those things are mutually exclusive. If anything, if you go from average goalie to best goalie, maybe even best overall player in the league, then what better case is there for a nomination for "Most Improved"? McCarthy also had some nice improvements but i think some people overlooked the fact that his S48 campaign was a huge down-year and that he has already done quite well in S47, so the jump compared to his previous career best wasn't as high as it might seem at first glance.

Those are the three guys I nominated. Do you think there is someone we overlooked completely? It's always possible of course but if there is a guy who improves by 30 points but still "only" ends up at 40 points, then I find it tough to nominated him for this Award even if his pure numerical improvement might be the biggest of all players. With that being said, this was a relatively weak year in terms of the Most Improved category, it feels like in the past there usually were multiple people who improved by around 20 points or more while this year there was just one who had exactly 20 (and a goalie).

No. My main issue with it really is he wasn't coming from being an average goalie. In S47 he was top 3 in the league. He's gone from being one of the best goalies about (albeit with a pretty bad season in between) to a historical great season, and That wouldn't be enough for a skater so i dont see why it is for a goalie. That's just my 2 cents on it, and obviously my opinion doesn't matter, but I'm glad that at least they didn't rob Winter of it

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

Oh my! Thanks everyone! This is awesome!! Leitner!!!!

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

congrats to all winner! it was nice to see a McZ in the Stevens Final Smile

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

09-29-2019, 10:10 PMFordyford Wrote:
09-29-2019, 09:29 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: I was a nominee for this one so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I still tried look at it as impartial as possible. First of all it was crazy how close this was and how things could change depending on how the exact wording of the tiebreakers in the rulebook was interpreted. However, I do not like the Co-Winners thing and think there ultimately should always be one winner, even if it comes down to the Committee Head just making the decision (in which case I would've lost to Leitner iirc).

About the players themselves: Leitner and myself where the guys I rated the highest, I also had McCarthy on my ballot but a good bit behind the other two. My player had a 20-point jump, which was the highest of all the players in the Top-50 or so that I looked at, breaking out as an elite player for the first time while also improving defensively. Leitner had a super dominant season showcased by all the other awards he had never even come close to those kinds of numbers before. Some have argued that a player who is up for MVP and a bunch of other awards shouldn't also be nominated for Most Improved but I disagree, I don't think those things are mutually exclusive. If anything, if you go from average goalie to best goalie, maybe even best overall player in the league, then what better case is there for a nomination for "Most Improved"? McCarthy also had some nice improvements but i think some people overlooked the fact that his S48 campaign was a huge down-year and that he has already done quite well in S47, so the jump compared to his previous career best wasn't as high as it might seem at first glance.

Those are the three guys I nominated. Do you think there is someone we overlooked completely? It's always possible of course but if there is a guy who improves by 30 points but still "only" ends up at 40 points, then I find it tough to nominated him for this Award even if his pure numerical improvement might be the biggest of all players. With that being said, this was a relatively weak year in terms of the Most Improved category, it feels like in the past there usually were multiple people who improved by around 20 points or more while this year there was just one who had exactly 20 (and a goalie).

No. My main issue with it really is he wasn't coming from being an average goalie. In S47 he was top 3 in the league. He's gone from being one of the best goalies about (albeit with a pretty bad season in between) to a historical great season, and That wouldn't be enough for a skater so i dont see why it is for a goalie. That's just my 2 cents on it, and obviously my opinion doesn't matter, but I'm glad that at least they didn't rob Winter of it

I don't think he was Top-3 in S47, his save-percentage was pretty good but almost all other important metrics like Wins and GAA were below average or actually quite bad. Compared to that season he did make a big jump in S49 which warrants the nomination in my eyes.

Can someone update the winners in the OP for me?

Much appreciated.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

09-30-2019, 07:39 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: Can someone update the winners in the OP for me?

Much appreciated.

Done

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

Holy crap I won something...

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
15-6-0