Create Account

S49 SHL Awards Show

09-26-2019, 10:25 AMWannabeFinn Wrote: This round of awards really proves there’s no meaningful difference between the GM and coaching awards in the eyes of the voters

I think that's a little unfair.

Considering the past few seasons have been fairly different (not totally). But this season at least in NEW and Manhattan's case that's two teams that seemed to over perform their squad tpe (coaching) as well as
happening to be two teams that made a number of GM moves (trades, call ups, roster building) to put their teams in a position to win.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

09-26-2019, 11:05 AM39alaska39 Wrote:
09-26-2019, 10:25 AMWannabeFinn Wrote: This round of awards really proves there’s no meaningful difference between the GM and coaching awards in the eyes of the voters

How many coaches are there actually in the SHL? I think Tomas and I, McZ in Minnesota, and after that, I can’t think of any others

It's an interesting (and recurring) discussion for sure. My nominees for GM and coach looked quite different than the ones we ended up with and I try to make it that they don't overlap too much, but sometimes its unavoidable especially in seasons without a lot of trades.

holy shit i got a nom :O

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Very disappointed not to get a nominee for the Razov. Actually thought i had a BIG chance to win it.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 11:40 AM by WannabeFinn.)

09-26-2019, 11:05 AM39alaska39 Wrote:

How many coaches are there actually in the SHL? I think Tomas and I, McZ in Minnesota, and after that, I can’t think of any others
Idk what the number of coaches has to do with what I said. It just seems to me like the GM and coach awards are treated the same, as in they simply go to the teams with the best record and goal differentials without enough consideration given to the other aspects of being a good GM (drafting, trades, cap management) or being a good coach (getting the most out of your players compared to their TPE levels, finding line/pairing combos with great chemistry, adjusting lineups to match opponents).

I’m really not saying that any of the nominees are unreasonable, because clearly all 3 of these teams had tremendous seasons. But I think teams like NOLA are overlooked when they acquire players like Manius and Bergen and make it look easy. Teams like LAP and WKP who coached themselves to to playoff seeds when they were in tough divisions and didn’t have overly stacked rosters.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

09-26-2019, 11:27 AMTomasnz Wrote:

I think that's a little unfair.

Considering the past few seasons have been fairly different (not totally). But this season at least in NEW and Manhattan's case that's two teams that seemed to over perform their squad tpe (coaching)  as well as
happening to be two teams that made a number of GM moves (trades, call ups, roster building) to put their teams in a position to win.

It's kinda funny, when I looked through last seasons transactions it seemed like almost every trade that NEW did backfired on them individually, but collectively they seem to have worked given the season they had, can't really argue with the results. But thats why I personally didn't consider them for Best GM and only nominated them for Best Coach for example.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 11:48 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

Oh wow Blush  

It was a big year for Mike Izzy in season 16 on the site and 13th with the Dragons. What an absolute honour it is to be nominated for the Mexico and Dar. A Big Thank You to Baelor swift and the awards committee for their work... and a big congratulations to all the nominees this season. Cheers

See you all at the awards show!

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

09-26-2019, 11:06 AM39alaska39 Wrote:
09-26-2019, 10:57 AMBlastmeaway Wrote: Wow I’m super surprised Loki didn’t get the nom.

Also very thankful for both my nominations.

SHL breaking out the McDavid argument, can’t be MVP if you don’t make the playoffs

That may be a justification for not winning (I think that completely misunderstands value but that's just me), but McDavid still gets nominated.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

LUFFY LUFFY

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

I improved :(

RETIRED

Well this is a pleasant surprise to wake up to.

I am incredibly thankful for the nomination, and I assume it's due to my tenure as IIHF commissioner coming to an end, and that got me to thinking that it's about time we give Velevra some recognition as well.

The man has been IIHF commissioner for 30 seasons now, and was simmer as well for 10 of them. He has been an incredible resource and has offered tremendous support during my tenure that I am extremely thankful for during my tenure.

My time in the IIHF HO would not have been what it was without him.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

09-26-2019, 11:45 AMMayuu Wrote: I improved :(

me too :(

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Also great great job this year by the committee with there Littleton selections... blastmeaway, Artemis and Luke are 3 tremendous choices.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Wasty and JT got snubbed.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

it'd be nice to have a little writeup from some of the award staff on why they chose it who they did. people will disagree regardless, but at least the public can see why they were picked. and in extreme cases if necessary maybe even update the criteria for how to win them.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]