Create Account

S49 Awards Show
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2019, 06:43 PM by fishy.)

Date: September 29th, 2019
Time: 3 PM EST

(sometime in the afternoon)
Hi everyone! I'm jfisherr, captain of the Crows and I'll be co-hosting this year's S49 SMJHL Awards Show with fellow SHL member @DaftRaincloud.

As co-hosts, we're gonna be adding a little flair to the awards show this year. We'll be going back and forth between the tried and tested format of text, some suspense, and shitty jokes, with @DaftRaincloud showing off a new and fun way to introduce the major award winners! A lil spice never hurt nobody and Daft is a real talented individual that has done some amazing work. F5 szn on Sunday to be the first one to see what he has in store.

Feel free to keep on reading for a refresher on how S49 of the SMJHL went! Hope you enjoy!

TEAM AWARDS

Quote:Four Star Cup Champions: Montreal Militia Militia

Oriens Trophy – Eastern Champs: Montreal Militia Militia

Occasus Trophy – Western Champs: Kelowna Knights Knights

Congratulations to both teams for making it as far as they did! Montreal overcame a brutal playoff slate, dispatching both of the top two regular season teams, Detroit and Kelowna, as well as Halifax, on their journey to becoming 4 Star Cup Champions. Kelowna, you showed out and got a taste of how tough the playoff journey is. Better luck next year!

Quote:Laurifer Trophy – Best Regular Season Record: Detroit Falcons Falcons

This award has been a bit of a curse the previous three seasons, with each of the Laurifer Trophy winning teams doing their best Lightning impression by getting dumped out of the playoffs earlier than they should. This season's Laurifer Trophy winners were the dominant Detroit Falcons, who finished the regular season with a record of 31-13-6, good for 68 points.

INDIVIDUAL AWARDS

Quote:Jared Hanson (Scoring Champ): @esilverm Nicolaj Muller Scarecrows
  1. Nicolaj Muller (STL) - 56 points
  2. Gaspard Boone (MTL) - 55 points
  3. Calogero Crudelli (COL) - 51 points
Muller successfully defends his scoring crown, fending off runner up and Militia stud Gaspard Boone just barely to earn his second Jared Hanson trophy in two years.

Quote:Roberto Martucci (Goal Leader):  @Im_A_Boonana Gaspard Boone Militia
  1. Gaspard Boone (MTL) - 26 goals
  2. Nicolaj Muller (STL) - 25 goals
  3. Herry Morris IV (MTL) - 24 goals
Boone gets his revenge on Muller, returning the favour by barely edging him out for the Roberto Martucci trophy as the SMJHL' s leading goal scorer. Muller in return, just barely prevents Montreal from taking home the top two spots.

Quote:Ronan O’Keefe (Playoff Scoring Champ): @Im_A_Boonana Gaspard Boone Militia
  1. Gaspard Boone (MTL) - 17 points
  2. Tah Pucheese (KEL) - 16 points
  3. Josef Novotny (KEL) - 16 points
To nobody's surprise, the two teams that went the furthest provided the SMJHL's top 3 playoff scorers, with Gaspard continuing his strong regular season play, and Kelowna getting amazing contributions from Puhcheese and Novotny.

Quote:Mathias Chouinard Award - Top GM Duo

Quote:Esa Anrikkanen Trophy - Top Rookie

Quote:Vyacheslav Onoprienko Trophy- Most Underrated Player

Quote:Tom Corcoran Trophy - Best Goalie
  • @MantoRune Emiko Spector (DET) - Winner
  • @Tate Knox Booth (COL)
  • @KlusteR Markus Tegernako (LET)
  • @DieselJ Patrick Niederreiter (ANA)

Quote:Zach Miller Trophy - Most Dedicated Player

Quote:Quilha Agante Trophy - Best Defenseman

Quote:Ron Bolt Trophy - Most Sportsmanlike Player

Quote:Brodie Witzel Trophy - Playoffs MVP

Quote:Brandon Holmes Trophy - Top Defensive Forward
  • @jason97 Calogero Crudelli (COL)
  • @"ThatDamnMcJesus" Hugh Jazz (LET)
  • @BDonini Lallo Selman (ANA)
  • @Mika_Kandinsky Mika Kandinsky (STL) - Winner

Quote:Raymond Lindsay - The Players MVP
  • @jason97 Calogero Crudelli (COL)
  • @MantoRune Emiko Spector (DET)
  • @esilverm Nicolaj Muller (STL) - Winner

Quote:Ideen Fallah Trophy - Award Committee MVP

On Sunday, the awards will be presented in the following order:
  1. Mathias Chouinard Award - Top GM Duo
  2. Esa Anrikkanen Trophy - Top Rookie
  3. Vyacheslav Onoprienko Trophy - Most Underrated Player
  4. Tom Corcoran Trophy - Best Goalie
  5. Zach Miller Trophy - Most Dedicated Player
  6. Quilha Agante Trophy - Best Defenseman
  7. Ron Bolt Trophy - Most Sportsmanlike Player
  8. Brodie Witzel Trophy - Playoffs MVP
  9. Brandon Holmes Trophy - Top Defensive Forward
  10. Elias Armia Award - The Commisioner's Award of Excellence
  11. Raymond Lindsay - The Players MVP
  12. Ideen Fallah Trophy - Award Committee MVP

This marks the conclusion of this Awards Show Introduction! Thank you for giving it a read and good luck to all the nominees! See you on Sunday for the full reveal!

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

The King is dead Militia long live the king! Kraken

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

09-28-2019, 12:49 PMjfisherr Wrote: Zach Miller Trophy - Most Dedicated Player

:(

Deserved snub.

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

09-28-2019, 01:09 PMC9Van Wrote:
09-28-2019, 12:49 PMjfisherr Wrote: Zach Miller Trophy - Most Dedicated Player

:(

Deserved snub.

You're number 1 in my book

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

@Flareon @Citizen of Adraa - Halifax
@NJBadApple @Noble - Kelowna
@JNH @SDCore - Lethbridge
@FuzzSHL @cpetrella - Montreal

ok even though Detroit got yeeted on by simon t how does Tig not even get a nomination here
lmao

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

09-28-2019, 01:27 PMaaronwilson Wrote:
@Flareon @Citizen of Adraa - Halifax
@NJBadApple @Noble - Kelowna
@JNH @SDCore - Lethbridge
@FuzzSHL @cpetrella - Montreal

ok even though Detroit got yeeted on by simon t how does Tig not even get a nomination here
lmao

Top GM Duo is based off of Regular season only, so Tig is suppose to get the nom being the most dominant team during the regular season. Dont know how Lethbridge or Montreal got the Nom over them.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

09-28-2019, 01:34 PMluketd Wrote:
09-28-2019, 01:27 PMaaronwilson Wrote: ok even though Detroit got yeeted on by simon t how does Tig not even get a nomination here
lmao

Top GM Duo is based off of Regular season only, so Tig is suppose to get the nom being the most dominant team during the regular season. Dont know how Lethbridge or Montreal got the Nom over them.

Being a good GM is more than the results of your team

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Congrats all & good luck!

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

09-28-2019, 01:39 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
09-28-2019, 01:34 PMluketd Wrote: Top GM Duo is based off of Regular season only, so Tig is suppose to get the nom being the most dominant team during the regular season. Dont know how Lethbridge or Montreal got the Nom over them.

Being a good GM is more than the results of your team

:surprisepikachu: wouldnt you think that being at the top of the league and having a good players = good gm? If its not about results Asclap is a great GM who fosters great growth in rookies and sophomores alike, why not nominate him? because of the on ice results werent there.

09-28-2019, 01:44 PMluketd Wrote:
09-28-2019, 01:39 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: Being a good GM is more than the results of your team

:surprisepikachu:  wouldnt you think that being at the top of the league and having a good players = good gm?  If its not about results Asclap is a great GM who fosters great growth in rookies and sophomores alike, why not nominate him? because of the on ice results werent there.

I honestly don’t see how you can build a legitimate argument against LET being a nominee. @JNH and @SDCore took over a dumpster fire and within a season have turned LET into a serious team. They had a fantastic S50 draft and made some good value trades to add to their roster...kinda short sighted to pop open the standings and just use those to judge GM performance.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

I was hoping the excitement of something new with the awards would hold back the complaining for longer than usual... what a fool I am.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

When you’re only nominated for MVP.
I think that deserves an “Underrated Player” look.

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

09-28-2019, 01:52 PMBDonini Wrote:
09-28-2019, 01:44 PMluketd Wrote: :surprisepikachu:  wouldnt you think that being at the top of the league and having a good players = good gm?  If its not about results Asclap is a great GM who fosters great growth in rookies and sophomores alike, why not nominate him? because of the on ice results werent there.

I honestly don’t see how you can build a legitimate argument against LET being a nominee. @JNH  and @SDCore  took over a dumpster fire and within a season have turned LET into a serious team. They had a fantastic S50 draft and made some good value trades to add to their roster...kinda short sighted to pop open the standings and just use those to judge GM performance.

I mean if you want to go from that angle, every SMJHL team has to go through a major rebuild every 4 or 5 seasons, as is the cycle of the SMJHL. If we went off of who had a really good draft and trades, then different teams should have won it over the years. Its off of what a GM did that season. Drafting is a big part yes, but Standings should be held at a higher standard, especially Detroit this season. 31-13-6 is a really good record, 191 GF and 144 GA, is the 2nd lowest GA and 1st highest GF. The last time you go back with that type of spread is actually S44 with Detroit having 187 GF and 139 GA, and if you go a season back you get Vancouver with 176 GF and 130 GA. (Both Detroit and Vancouver won the Mathias Chouinard Award those season as well, and were top in their league)

Last time someone had over 190 GF as well was STL in S47 with 190 GF, Vancouver in S44 with 193 GF.

As well with a Top PP 23.5%, and a below average PK (78.77%). In Shots for and Shots against they were top in those categories as well, having a top FO%.

As well as having a .500 or more winning record with every team. They never went below .500 on a team, either winning the series or tying the series in terms of wins.

Not really short sighted, more of just dominant of their season.

09-28-2019, 01:52 PMBDonini Wrote:
09-28-2019, 01:44 PMluketd Wrote: :surprisepikachu:  wouldnt you think that being at the top of the league and having a good players = good gm?  If its not about results Asclap is a great GM who fosters great growth in rookies and sophomores alike, why not nominate him? because of the on ice results werent there.

I honestly don’t see how you can build a legitimate argument against LET being a nominee. @JNH  and @SDCore  took over a dumpster fire and within a season have turned LET into a serious team. They had a fantastic S50 draft and made some good value trades to add to their roster...kinda short sighted to pop open the standings and just use those to judge GM performance.

I knew I liked you.

(though I do agree that Tig deserves a spot somewhere here, they built a juggernaut of a team and deserve recognition for that)

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Perhaps should look at how the SHL has a coach of the year award and GM of the year award. Though I still think Tig should qualify for both because they built a great team and did great with that team on the ice.

Though just for clarification when voting, are the voters taking into account past years moves when making GMOTY? Like DET iirc didn’t do too much roster movement before last season other than adding a couple rookies to their depth, most of their real roster building was done in the past (as it should be). So is GMOTY really like best GM of the past few seasons with also good results this season? Or are they strictly judging it based on only things that happened this season?

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers